You Plan the new Cubs stadium

Northsider

Liked Posts:
Clybourn Station Project

What about the old Finkl Steel site at Cortland and Clybourn? I think they just finished moving to their new plant on the far south side.

1. There's nothing from Cortland up to Shakespeare or from the river over to Clybourn that couldn't be torn down. That's plenty of land. Ditto for the west side of the river over to Ashland.

2. You could build the stadium on the east side of the river, parking garage(s) on the west side near the Cortland bridge, and have easy access to the El (Armitage stop less than 10 min. walk), Metra (Clybourn station less than 5 min. walk), Kennedy Expressway, buses -- hell, you could build a dock and the Wendella boats could run there from downtown.

3. It'd be a great upgrade for the area, and The New Mayor has already said that cleaning up and taking advantage of the river is a priority. It would drive redevelopment.

4. You wouldn't be limited with stadium design, or night games, or naming rights.

5. What to do with Wrigley? Leave it alone, and move a Cubs minor league team in. Both the Yankees and the Mets have in-town minor league teams (Brooklyn and Staten Island). People who want the "Wrigley Experience" will still get it, with a cold beer on a hot summer day, and maybe a better brand of baseball on the field in the near term...

6. Let's call this the Clybourn Station project, and the Ricketts' motto can be "HERE"S where we're going to win the World Series".

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
^ I like that idea.

I think Old Wrigley should be turned into a baseball museum of sorts. I don't think it can stand being used as an everyday facility for much longer, but I admit I'm not an architect or an engineer.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Crystallas, if the cant get funding to repair wrigley what makes you think they will have the money to build a stadium upwards of 3 billion dollars thats twice as much as yankee stadium. don't say it woulnt be that expensive because you would limit the extravagent luxuries because thats the whole reason to build it and the 150,000 seating would not sell out once in it lifetime if there are 162 games a year why would 150,000 people go to each game. the stadium would lose money and put the cubs and the city in even more debt than they are now. If the plan is to throw out the wrigley design completly the cubs are better off making a very nice jewel box stadium with great modern amenities. If you look at the stadiums currently in the mlb most of the modern stadiums get bad reviews and most of the popular stadiums in the league are either retro classic or jewel box designs(PNC Park, Citizens Bank Park, Camden Yards). If the great new modern stadiums are the best in baseball why did they add things to make U.S Cellular park look more like a classic jewel box park, because there was a lot of criticism on the parks modern design.

Who says the new venue would be without such luxury and amenities? Sometimes we have to think big, break away from the mold.

A team that can't generate the revenue to build a monumental sports center, is not thinking outside of the box. The potential for sponsorships, ticket revenues, the city hosting special events, that only it can hold. No other place in the world will be able to offer the logistics that a 150,000+ capacity center would. You could play baseball in the day, and host massive converts at night. Also, I would prefer a dome. It's about time to bring a dome to Chicago. Then the venue would be able to provide conventions and entertainment 365 days a year. You could host multiple events at the same time. 150k capacity, in a metropolitan area with 10 million people within a driving distance. How is this a bad idea? It would be so epic, that it could host the Superbowl, a BCS game, special exhibitions, everything any current venue can do, but with more. And if there is a scheduling conflict... hey, guess what, play the game at historical Wrigley Field! Anyone that fails to make revenue in such an incredible capacity would literally have to have the door closed on the place for 240 days of the year, approximately how often Wrigley is closed.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Who says the new venue would be without such luxury and amenities? Sometimes we have to think big, break away from the mold.

A team that can't generate the revenue to build a monumental sports center, is not thinking outside of the box. The potential for sponsorships, ticket revenues, the city hosting special events, that only it can hold. No other place in the world will be able to offer the logistics that a 150,000+ capacity center would. You could play baseball in the day, and host massive converts at night. Also, I would prefer a dome. It's about time to bring a dome to Chicago. Then the venue would be able to provide conventions and entertainment 365 days a year. You could host multiple events at the same time. 150k capacity, in a metropolitan area with 10 million people within a driving distance. How is this a bad idea? It would be so epic, that it could host the Superbowl, a BCS game, special exhibitions, everything any current venue can do, but with more. And if there is a scheduling conflict... hey, guess what, play the game at historical Wrigley Field! Anyone that fails to make revenue in such an incredible capacity would literally have to have the door closed on the place for 240 days of the year, approximately how often Wrigley is closed.

Now there's an idea. I don't get the love affair with this ballpark but then again most of you dont know the place like I do. I delivered there for over 10 years and while they keep the fan accessible parts of the park in decent shape, I can tell you for a fact that the bowels of the place are a disgrace. Not that the Cubs havent tried but you cant beat Father Time. Its old and decrepted and needs to be either be leveled or at least cleaned up for possible use as a museum or city landmark. The fact that they continue to pour 30,000 fans in there daily despite the obvious dangers is a tribute to how easily city saftey inspectors can be bought off in Chicago.

Admittedly, its been 7 or 8 years since Ive delivered there but still....barring some major rehabilitation that I didnt hear of, the place is a tragedy waiting to happen.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Now there's an idea. I don't get the love affair with this ballpark but then again most of you dont know the place like I do. I delivered there for over 10 years and while they keep the fan accessible parts of the park in decent shape, I can tell you for a fact that the bowels of the place are a disgrace. Not that the Cubs havent tried but you cant beat Father Time. Its old and decrepted and needs to be either be leveled or at least cleaned up for possible use as a museum or city landmark. The fact that they continue to pour 30,000 fans in there daily despite the obvious dangers is a tribute to how easily city saftey inspectors can be bought off in Chicago.

Admittedly, its been 7 or 8 years since Ive delivered there but still....barring some major rehabilitation that I didnt hear of, the place is a tragedy waiting to happen.

Where were you when I went off about Wrigley smelling like a urinal, based on my own real experience? It's better now, no doubt. But it took a while to get the place up to snuff, and it's a money pit to keep it in it's current shape.

Hells yeah, a Cubs fan that sees the logic in super-modern. :beer:

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Your posts really make my day.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Your posts really make my day.

Not_sure_if_serious_small.jpg

:shrug:
I thought you were all for keeping the feel.

Either way. I hope you are serious. The Cubs would be the envy of the league, make a boatload of cash down the line, and draw in better players with such a venue. Imagine selling out the place with a playoff game, or crosstown classic? One playoff series would be the equivalent of selling out in 40 games. Insanity!

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Crystallas, if the Cubs could make a brand new state of the art everything stadium.. Im all for dropping the Wrigley feel.

Still don't want lots of gimmicks though.

kaz03

Liked Posts:

I'm not completely against the idea of an incredible stadium that will catch the world eye but with the problems the city has today are problems that will last a long time and this stadium wouldn't work. Even if they somehow find the money no one is certain it will instantly make money take Montreal for example fro the 1976 olympics they tried to build a stadium that would do just what you want the new cubs stadium they thought after the olympics it would be a gold mine well it was no gold mine and they are still trying to pay it off over thirty years later. Another thing about the olympics, this stadium would not get the olympics alone the city would have to spend billions more on other things like campaigning and transit improvements, they don't have any of this money. So maybe its time to look more at the practical side of things and build a beautiful jewel box stadium with on the luxury amenities either right where wrigley stands or on the lakefront.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not completely against the idea of an incredible stadium that will catch the world eye but with the problems the city has today are problems that will last a long time and this stadium wouldn't work. Even if they somehow find the money no one is certain it will instantly make money take Montreal for example fro the 1976 olympics they tried to build a stadium that would do just what you want the new cubs stadium they thought after the olympics it would be a gold mine well it was no gold mine and they are still trying to pay it off over thirty years later. Another thing about the olympics, this stadium would not get the olympics alone the city would have to spend billions more on other things like campaigning and transit improvements, they don't have any of this money. So maybe its time to look more at the practical side of things and build a beautiful jewel box stadium with on the luxury amenities either right where wrigley stands or on the lakefront.

Montreal and Chicago are two different cities.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Less troughs please.

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ricketts had no update on the Cubs’ plans for financing the estimated $300 million on ballpark renovations, saying he continues to talk with elected officials. As for changes at Wrigley, he said there will “nothing dramatic from a structural standpoint” in 2012.

“From a fan amenities standpoint, there are some things we’re kicking around, but we haven’t finalized what those will be,” he said.

Improved wireless access at Wrigley is “in the cards,” Ricketts said, after years of spotty coverage for cell phone users.