1st Round Options...

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I'd sign Romo as long as he's cheap and we bring back Hoyer. Only if we're taking a QB early in the draft though.

What's the point? Think about it for a second. The bears are in the middle of a rebuild. Romo will not come cheap. On top of that he cannot stay healthy.
The bears are nowhere near a superbowl window.

Hoyer comes back as the de facto starter. There are much better ways to use the cap space.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
What's the point? Think about it for a second. The bears are in the middle of a rebuild. Romo will not come cheap. On top of that he cannot stay healthy.
The bears are nowhere near a superbowl window.

Hoyer comes back as the de facto starter. There are much better ways to use the cap space.
I don't think Romo is in a position to command much money after the last couple seasons. He's old and injury prone. As I said, if he comes cheap sure why not. I wouldn't bring him in to be a long term answer, just someone who can go out and win a few games while the QB of the future gets ready. I'd take Romo/Hoyer/Rookie over Hoyer/Shaw or Barkley/Rookie, assuming we carry 3 QBs.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I'd sign Romo as long as he's cheap and we bring back Hoyer. Only if we're taking a QB early in the draft though.

Yeah Romo isn't a free agent and Dallas isn't just going to let him walk/cut him--with a near-20 million dollar dead cap hit in 2017 and a 10 dead cap hit in 2018. And especially with teams like Denver, New York Jets, Jacksonville, and Houston likely in need of a starter among other teams who could use him in the mix like Cleveland, KC, and a few others.

It makes no sense for Dallas to outright cut him when they can get something back for them. And the bears would be outright stupid to trade any picks for this guy because they need picks, and Romo doesn't fix bad/injured/roided receivers, nothing at tight end behind Zach Miller, and garbage tackles. How does he make the team better long term?

He doesn't. And that's when he's on the field.

Resign Hoyer? Sure. Draft a kid? Sure. Get rid of Jay? Sure. But Romo? Pass.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
I don't think Romo is possible. Cowboys would have to eat an enormous amount of dead money to cut him if I'm reading this right. Trading anything for Romo should be automatically off the table

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo-2447/

On the bright side they have a starter quality backup for Dak for 2 years. You could be us and have nobody at all.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
I was under the impression Romo was a free agent after this season, my bad. That's a hard no for me then.

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
Romo is finished in dallas,it is Dak's team now.Jerry is not going to pay 14 million dollars for a back up QB...no way,no how

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
He's also not dumb enough to take a 19.6 million dead cap hit by cutting him next this upcoming offseason.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
Romo is finished in dallas,it is Dak's team now.Jerry is not going to pay 14 million dollars for a back up QB...no way,no how

He'd also have to eat 20 million next year if he were to cut him. The earliest will be during 2018 where it'll only cost 8 million to let him loose vs paying him 20 million during that year.

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
He'd also have to eat 20 million next year if he were to cut him. The earliest will be during 2018 where it'll only cost 8 million to let him loose vs paying him 20 million during that year.
Im really not up on the money side of it but Romo will not be in Dallas next year,he wants to play.so what would be the implications money wise for a team to take him?

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Maybe so. But since Jerry is exactly the type that would trade picks for an old, injury-prone, expensive QB, he will assume others will too.

I actually think the Bears could be a good team next year with Romo at QB. But I can't justify spending picks on him, or much $. So, there's that little problem.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No team is going to take on Romo's deal and give up draft compensation. He will have to be released or Dallas keeps him and I'm not certain they should take that cap hit just to make Romo happy.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
I have two major issues with the Garoppolo thing.

First, of less significance but still an issue, is that we wouldn't get the four years on a rookie contact to see if he's worth giving a huge contact to. The contract will be part of any trade that happens. I don't feel good about anchoring the team to another trade project for several years. We just did that with a more talented QB than Garoppolo and who was more experienced. I view Garoppolo as largely unproven because I believe just about any functional QB could plug into the Belichick system and win games. We saw the mediocre Matt Cassell win 11.

But my bigger issue is that I just don't think he's that good. I think he's a solid, functional QB who can probably have an o.k. career as an average starter, but I don't see that "it factor" in him. I don't think he's the kind of special talent that can elevate the players around him and take a team on his back and win. I don't see him as having that game-changing ability. I don't see him as being the type of QB who will win playoff games because he was just flat out the best player on the field and made things happen.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's like Cutler where he'll be flat out bad at times and cause his team to lose, I think he can win as a functional part of a very talented team, but I don't think they're going to win because of him. As much as the likes of Kizer, Watson etc may have their flaws, and may end up being busts, I think they may have that kind of special ability to do great things and take teams to another level, at their best. I don't want a functional QB with the 2nd or 3rd overall pick, I want to take a shot at a player who might be special.

While we complain about the Bears sucking, despite the shitty 90s and Trestman debacle and whatnot, it's been 44 years since they had a top 3 pick. I want to make the most of it. I don't want Jonathon Allen or Jimmy Garoppolo or trading down for the best cornerback and picking up a "decent prospect" later. I want to swing for the fences and take a shot at a potential franchise player who can help us win superbowls.

Exactly. I'm with ya.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Im really not up on the money side of it

Then I'll simplify.

The only way that Dallas is going to get rid of him this offseason is via trade, because they aren't going to eat a 19.6 million dollar dead cap hit in 2017 by outright cutting him.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
Im really not up on the money side of it but Romo will not be in Dallas next year,he wants to play.so what would be the implications money wise for a team to take him?

On 2nd glance he's been paid his 55 million guaranteed. I think they would have to eat that dead cap money because Romo has restructured his deal a couple of times to clear up cap space. If they don't have to pay that dead money and can cut him he's free to negotiate whatever he wants with another team. If they can't cut him then it has to be something going back to Dallas to make the trade work which isn't gonna happen.

Of course he could always take a pay cut and make things easier on everybody.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Falk will be the best QB from the next class, but I also put him as the least likely to declare for the draft. He is old school and not like the new Generation Me. Another year in the weight room to add some bulk to his frame wouldn't be a bad thing because he looks more like a baseball pitcher with his frame, like Matt Ryan.

I hope he comes out this year and I would love the Bears to draft him but I doubt they do it in the top 3. The brain is the most underrated weapon and sadly it's the most over looked tangible in the NFL. It's the reason why so many players bust and others outplay their draft slot. I would draft Falk in the top 3 but I doubt any team does.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Falk will be the best QB from the next class, but I also put him as the least likely to declare for the draft. He is old school and not like the new Generation Me. Another year in the weight room to add some bulk to his frame wouldn't be a bad thing because he looks more like a baseball pitcher with his frame, like Matt Ryan.

I hope he comes out this year and I would love the Bears to draft him but I doubt they do it in the top 3. The brain is the most underrated weapon and sadly it's the most over looked tangible in the NFL. It's the reason why so many players bust and others outplay their draft slot. I would draft Falk in the top 3 but I doubt any team does.

Falk's accuracy and how he can just put the right touch on a ball is outstanding. Almost Rodgers-esque, before Rodgers regressed.

But playing in an offense where he never takes a snap under center, his wind up needs to be faster for NFL level, not going anywhere beyond 1 read in Leach's offense, and the fact that Washington State has done a great job protecting him, and his over-inflated stats reminds me of Colt Brennan from Hawaii some years back.

Its so bears that they're looking for a franchise quarterback in a draft of a bunch of guys whom none resemble a franchise quarterback right now.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:

If Pace grades him as high as you do, he will pick him top 3. I'd prefer to see us grab one of the elite front seven players and trade back into 1st to grab him. This is a really deep draft at the top so I'm sure trading down will be in the cards. Look what the Eagles gave up to get to #2. An extra third and fourth year one, extra 1st 2017, and 2 2018 just to move up 6 slots. That being said if Garrett is there and we aren't take QB, I draft him no questions asked.