1st Round Options...

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
Falk's accuracy and how he can just put the right touch on a ball is outstanding. Almost Rodgers-esque, before Rodgers regressed.

But playing in an offense where he never takes a snap under center, his wind up needs to be faster for NFL level, not going anywhere beyond 1 read in Leach's offense, and the fact that Washington State has done a great job protecting him, and his over-inflated stats reminds me of Colt Brennan from Hawaii some years back.

Its so bears that they're looking for a franchise quarterback in a draft of a bunch of guys whom none resemble a franchise quarterback right now.

Falk is far from a 1-read guy. He goes through his progressions and looks quite comfortable doing it even though Leach designs his offense to only really require that initial read. Falk also has quite a bit of responsibilities. Leach leaves him completely in charge of calling the run plays. Wazzu has been highly successful running the ball this year for an Air Raid team(Least stuffed behind the LOS in the nation and they are highly efficient in red zone situations). He also checks at the line 35-40% of the time according to Leach.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
The lack of snaps under center doesn't bother me much nowadays. Mariota and Carr are doing just fine. By all accounts, Goff is comfortable there. Then there's the fact that the Shotgun is wildly popular in today's NFL.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Romo is finished in dallas,it is Dak's team now.Jerry is not going to pay 14 million dollars for a back up QB...no way,no how

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The thing is that Romo has supposedly already said he would want to play in Denver if he had to choose and although it's not his choice i can see Jerry trading him where he wants to go as long as he gets the right return or a return comparable to what any other team is offering.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As has been said, Falk is not a 1 read guy. He scans the whole field going through multiple progressions and has great pocket presence shuffling around in the pocket to buy extra time. As far as speeding up his wind up he has a lightning quick release. I would be a lot more worried about Trubisky's throwing motion which is almost side arm delivery and slower, almost telegraphed. DB's in the NFL will feast on that. I question if Trubisky can make the necessary adjustments at the NFL because he has such a small resume.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I did some research before the 2016 draft and found that the Bears hadn't drafted the #1 or #2 or even #3 quarterback taken in the draft. It's always been #4 or #5 or worse even when taking one in the first round. Taking the fifth best quarterback in the draft most times ain't gonna get you shit even if they are a first round pick. There lies the Bears problem. If they have an opportunity to draft a game changing franchise quarterback, which would also be the #1 or #2 quarterback on the board, do it! Fuck all the other positions! That's the one position they need to fill badly and haven't throughout franchise history. It would be the biggest mistake ever made by this organization and if they continue to suck at quarterback and they still don't win championships after not drafting the quarterback they should have, ain't nobody gonna feel sorry for em looking back at what could have been in the 2017 draft.

There isn't that game changing QB in this draft. If there was I'd be advocating to trade to first overall and take him. Since I'm not convinced that that player is in this draft then I can't advocate for the Bears to draft him. If I thought for a minute that Kizer or Watson could be the guy I'd say go for it. But I'm still against over drafting based on desperation and for grabbing a sure thing like Garrett.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
As has been said, Falk is not a 1 read guy. He scans the whole field going through multiple progressions and has great pocket presence shuffling around in the pocket to buy extra time. As far as speeding up his wind up he has a lightning quick release. I would be a lot more worried about Trubisky's throwing motion which is almost side arm delivery and slower, almost telegraphed. DB's in the NFL will feast on that. I question if Trubisky can make the necessary adjustments at the NFL because he has such a small resume.

Falk is another air raid QB. There isn't one air raid QB in the NFL that's had even minimal success.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
There isn't that game changing QB in this draft. If there was I'd be advocating to trade to first overall and take him. Since I'm not convinced that that player is in this draft then I can't advocate for the Bears to draft him. If I thought for a minute that Kizer or Watson could be the guy I'd say go for it. But I'm still against over drafting based on desperation and for grabbing a sure thing like Garrett.

The Bears have been waiting for that game changing QB to fall in their laps for about 85 years. Waiting for that game changing QB is how you end up trading multiple 1st round picks for a QB like Jay Cutler. The point of the post you quoted was that the Bears ALWAYS settle for a guy. They are obviously going to draft a QB this year. Even if they trade/sign Romo, his back is an injury waiting to happen. They are going to draft someone. While I understand the sentiment that there isn't a game changer available....THERE'S NEVER A GAME CHANGER AVAILABLE! Well, never is an overstatement. There's a Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers every few years. But funny thing is that those guys tend to go #1. And if you don't have the #1 pick, those guys tend to cost a metric ass-ton to acquire. And as horrible as the Bears are, they still aren't #1 pick bad. So, waiting around hoping you're the worst team in the league so you can get the increasingly rare game-changing QB talent is a futile exercise.

The Bears should have their shot at either every QB or all but 1 QB in this draft. They need to decide which QB is the best talent, fit, upside, whatever and make that pick. Garrett is the only player available that I think will justify not taking a QB at 2 or 3 or wherever they pick.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Then I'll simplify.

The only way that Dallas is going to get rid of him this offseason is via trade, because they aren't going to eat a 19.6 million dollar dead cap hit in 2017 by outright cutting him.

The 19.6 million cap hit is signing bonus so the Cowboys incur the cap hit whether they cut or trade him. The only time dead money can be assigned is if it hasn't been paid by the team yet ie if the guaranteed money is a future roster bonus or base salary.

Now you still save about 5 million in cap space if you cut or trade Romo but I would imagine Jones would want a lot to trade him next year.

Since the SB was paid by the Cowboys, Romo would only cost other teams his base salary next year or 14 million and that team would have leverage to restructure Romo's deal since he could be cut by them without any cap hit.

So more than likely a team trading for Romo can restructure his deal for something like 10-14 million a year because no one is going to let him play out his contract if they trade for him since all the guaranteed money has already been paid.

Liked Posts:
I think Kizer, Watson, Trubisky, Webb, Falk and Kaaya have the talent to potentially be very successful NFL QBs, although all vastly varying in terms of their strengths.

I doubt the Browns take a QB this year. Kessler has talent and I think they'll take another year to develop him, especially when there's a "can't miss" impact player in Garrett this year. They take him imo.

I don't see the Bears winning another game with Fales or Barkley, so it's very possible they could have their pick of the entire QB class. If they've identified a guy they really think is "it", take him with the 2nd/3rd pick, period. Don't get cute and try to fuck around with a trade-and-hope-they-fall move for the sake of getting some defensive player. I don't care if it's Allen, a corner, whatever - the QB is leaps and bounds more important. If they have a guy targeted, just take him.

Have you given Mason Rudolph a serious look with your own two eyes & own bias. If you haven't yet, I encourage you to give Rudolph a real look on video. Don't allow yourself to be discouraged by the media talking heads with no football background at all, & their recent horrid track record for assessing quality QB prospects in the draft over the past 5 years.

My only real knocks on Rudolph is that, mostly, he needs to learn a pro system, & it wouldn't kill him to shorten up his long release which I would have more concern with if Rudolph were 4-5 inches shorter than he is. His arm strength is very good, his accuracy is very good, his decision making, pocket awareness, read anticipation, ability to read defenses, & mechanics all look good.

Personally I believe that Rudolph & Kaaya are the two QBs in the draft whos natural skill sets as passers will suit them to the most success at the pro level, out of all of the 2017 QB draft class. Especially Rudolph with a year to develop in a pro system. Kaaya's passer skill-set reminds me of a little of a young Bernie Kosar as a pure passer. On the hand, it's me & my own personal view, that Rudolph strongly resembles a young Carson Palmer & I mean the Carson Palmer that was on the up & up who was yet to have a Steelers D-lineman purposely role over onto his Knee while he was still releasing a deep ball to Ocho Cinco. Which was tough blow to Palmers development.

Personally I want both Rudolph & Kayas well as a OT & TE. I really like Rudolphs talent & his ceiling a lot & think that if the F.O. brought in a coach like Tom Clements to stick to him like glue while he developes, & I believe that who ever drafts Rudolph will end up with at least a very good franchise QB on their hands. I believe Rudolph would & should get more praise but I believe that the so called draft experts are focusing to much on the athleticism of dual threat QB's atop this draft. I thought after last season that maybe once the nation saw a noodle armed shadow of Peyton Manning use a pocket passing field general approach to take the king of dual threat QBs behind the woodshed on footballs biggest stage.

Current pro offenses have been preaching & trending around efficient mistake free passing on roughly 75% on a league wide average of offensive snaps per team, for a few year now. In order to carry out that philosophy, I can clearly see where passers like Kaaya & Rudolph, who spent the past 3-4 years using their offensive snaps to better learn how to put the 10 other offensive players in better positions to succeed as a unit. Instead of dual threat QB's who have spent roughly half of the offensive snaps tucking & running as an individual talent, over, roughly a 3 year collegiate period. There is a reason that dual threat QB's seem to have a poor track record at leading a team to wins beyond regular season play.

I one who care less about a QB's athletic ability to scramble while heading to a pro era that has become a pass happy crapshoot. Rudolph is the QB that do want from this draft, but would be good too with Kaaya.

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
I'm not a fan of Kaaya, but I'd love for the Bears to get Rudolph. Not only does he have the physical skills, but he's got all mental attributes that teams desire in a franchise quarterback.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
The Bears have been waiting for that game changing QB to fall in their laps for about 85 years. Waiting for that game changing QB is how you end up trading multiple 1st round picks for a QB like Jay Cutler. The point of the post you quoted was that the Bears ALWAYS settle for a guy. They are obviously going to draft a QB this year. Even if they trade/sign Romo, his back is an injury waiting to happen. They are going to draft someone. While I understand the sentiment that there isn't a game changer available....THERE'S NEVER A GAME CHANGER AVAILABLE! Well, never is an overstatement. There's a Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers every few years. But funny thing is that those guys tend to go #1. And if you don't have the #1 pick, those guys tend to cost a metric ass-ton to acquire. And as horrible as the Bears are, they still aren't #1 pick bad. So, waiting around hoping you're the worst team in the league so you can get the increasingly rare game-changing QB talent is a futile exercise.

The Bears should have their shot at either every QB or all but 1 QB in this draft. They need to decide which QB is the best talent, fit, upside, whatever and make that pick. Garrett is the only player available that I think will justify not taking a QB at 2 or 3 or wherever they pick.

And my post was too simply say the amount of separation between these QBs isn't enough to justify taking one in the first round. Someone is going to over draft a QB out of desperation. That team should not be the Bears. Take their chances in the second round with a Carr Garoppolo or Bridgewater type. No need to do anything else.

Edit:. Given Jerry Angelo was the first real GM this team had and he set up the first legitimate scouting staff it's not shocking the Bears have struggled at drafting a QB or drafting period.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

"Good point."
-Derek Carr

"You said it."
-Dak Prescott

"Damn straight."
-Russell Wilson

Fact is, every year people say there is no game-changing quarterback in this year's draft. And most years, those people are wrong.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"Good point."
-Derek Carr

"You said it."
-Dak Prescott

"Damn straight."
-Russell Wilson

Fact is, every year people say there is no game-changing quarterback in this year's draft. And most years, those people are wrong.

No doubt, every year I have read that bullshit that this is a bad year for QBs except the year with Luck and RG3. What this team needs is a crisis, and have no QB.

We drafted Fuller early, how's that going. Long injured. We drafted White 7th, got nothing out of him for 2 years and counting.

And yet some with the same attitude, trade down, go for and pay for the Patriots backup. Fuck that, if anything trade up and take the best QB. If wrong, we're in the same boat. But you get nowhere without trying.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
And my post was too simply say the amount of separation between these QBs isn't enough to justify taking one in the first round. Someone is going to over draft a QB out of desperation. That team should not be the Bears. Take their chances in the second round with a Carr Garoppolo or Bridgewater type. No need to do anything else.

Edit:. Given Jerry Angelo was the first real GM this team had and he set up the first legitimate scouting staff it's not shocking the Bears have struggled at drafting a QB or drafting period.

The thing is though, if you wait to take your chances with a 2nd round QB.....you don't have a choice. If the Bears like Kaaya, then they are at the mercy of the other 31 teams NOT taking Kaaya before their pick comes around again. Same applies if the Bears like 12 QBs. Other teams could overdraft out of desperation, which sucks for them if the QB is a bust, but sucks more for the Bears who are stuck more desperate because they didn't take a QB in the 1st and got their guy taken in the 2nd.

The reason to take a QB in the 1st is to make sure you get the guy you want. The problem isn't that there are no QBs worthy of a top 3 pick, the problem is if the Bears can't identify which is the best one. With the sheer amount of talented QBs in this draft, odds are....at least 1 of them will be pretty decent with good coaching. It is imperative that the Bears find that guy. And if they pick 2 or 3 like it looks like they should, then they should have at least all but 1 QB available for them to make the right decision.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
The thing is though, if you wait to take your chances with a 2nd round QB.....you don't have a choice. If the Bears like Kaaya, then they are at the mercy of the other 31 teams NOT taking Kaaya before their pick comes around again. Same applies if the Bears like 12 QBs. Other teams could overdraft out of desperation, which sucks for them if the QB is a bust, but sucks more for the Bears who are stuck more desperate because they didn't take a QB in the 1st and got their guy taken in the 2nd.

The reason to take a QB in the 1st is to make sure you get the guy you want. The problem isn't that there are no QBs worthy of a top 3 pick, the problem is if the Bears can't identify which is the best one. With the sheer amount of talented QBs in this draft, odds are....at least 1 of them will be pretty decent with good coaching. It is imperative that the Bears find that guy. And if they pick 2 or 3 like it looks like they should, then they should have at least all but 1 QB available for them to make the right decision.
Dear god I hope Pace understands this concept. I fear he's the poster suggesting we draft a QB in the 4th round though.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
The first 3 picks in the draft very well maybe QBs. If the Bears pick 3rd and are not "in love" with the leftover then I say we make a move for McCarron or Jimmy G. This obviously relies on the fact the Bears must analyze the draft movement/interest by the other teams prior to draft day.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
The first 3 picks in the draft very well maybe QBs. If the Bears pick 3rd and are not "in love" with the leftover then I say we make a move for McCarron or Jimmy G. This obviously relies on the fact the Bears must analyze the draft movement/interest by the other teams prior to draft day.

No.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

Sheer amount of talented QBs? The gradings on all of them are early second round at best. Not one QB has separated himself from the pack. I had high hopes for Watson this year that he would be the guy that did it. He looked tremendous against Alabama. Now he looks like he forces things anytime he tries to make a play down the field.

Kizer started out strong and then completely fell apart. Much like the entire Notre Dame football team.

I never like Johnny come lately types like Trubisky and physically he doesn't blow me away.

There are a jumble of QBs who all grade out about the same with no one looking like a first round level QB much less a top-5 guy.

It'd be great if one looked like James Winston or Mariota where they've strung together some consistency and growth and shown some leadership. But it's literally a group of guys who may wind up being the least desirable crop of QBs in five years.

We knew it'd eventually get to this point based simply on the systems in place at the college level. Guys can come out of nowhere or can look good solely based on their system.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Falk is another air raid QB. There isn't one air raid QB in the NFL that's had even minimal success.

You can't blame him for all the past failures of other QB's he is not them. Air Raid is a variation of spread formation, so let's call it a spread formation. If you are looking for a pro system QB only that excludes a lot of guys.

Unlike many of his past Air Raid counterparts, Falk makes about half the calls himself from the line of scrimmage. No different from a hurry up formation in the NFL where the QB calls the play at the line based off of what the defense shows them. Falk's teammates call home the CEO, he knows the offense inside out. He has all the intangibles you would want from an NFL QB.

The Air Raid is based off of short throws in spread formation but if you have watched Falk play you will have seen that he also throws middle to deep and to the sidelines as well and with very good accuracy. In other words he uses the whole field and has an NFL strength arm.

To write him off as an Air Raid QB who has no chance of success in the NFL is a lazy statement and makes me think you probably haven't watched him play.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Have you given Mason Rudolph a serious look with your own two eyes & own bias. If you haven't yet, I encourage you to give Rudolph a real look on video. Don't allow yourself to be discouraged by the media talking heads with no football background at all, & their recent horrid track record for assessing quality QB prospects in the draft over the past 5 years.

My only real knocks on Rudolph is that, mostly, he needs to learn a pro system, & it wouldn't kill him to shorten up his long release which I would have more concern with if Rudolph were 4-5 inches shorter than he is. His arm strength is very good, his accuracy is very good, his decision making, pocket awareness, read anticipation, ability to read defenses, & mechanics all look good.

Personally I believe that Rudolph & Kaaya are the two QBs in the draft whos natural skill sets as passers will suit them to the most success at the pro level, out of all of the 2017 QB draft class. Especially Rudolph with a year to develop in a pro system. Kaaya's passer skill-set reminds me of a little of a young Bernie Kosar as a pure passer. On the hand, it's me & my own personal view, that Rudolph strongly resembles a young Carson Palmer & I mean the Carson Palmer that was on the up & up who was yet to have a Steelers D-lineman purposely role over onto his Knee while he was still releasing a deep ball to Ocho Cinco. Which was tough blow to Palmers development.

Personally I want both Rudolph & Kayas well as a OT & TE. I really like Rudolphs talent & his ceiling a lot & think that if the F.O. brought in a coach like Tom Clements to stick to him like glue while he developes, & I believe that who ever drafts Rudolph will end up with at least a very good franchise QB on their hands. I believe Rudolph would & should get more praise but I believe that the so called draft experts are focusing to much on the athleticism of dual threat QB's atop this draft. I thought after last season that maybe once the nation saw a noodle armed shadow of Peyton Manning use a pocket passing field general approach to take the king of dual threat QBs behind the woodshed on footballs biggest stage.

Current pro offenses have been preaching & trending around efficient mistake free passing on roughly 75% on a league wide average of offensive snaps per team, for a few year now. In order to carry out that philosophy, I can clearly see where passers like Kaaya & Rudolph, who spent the past 3-4 years using their offensive snaps to better learn how to put the 10 other offensive players in better positions to succeed as a unit. Instead of dual threat QB's who have spent roughly half of the offensive snaps tucking & running as an individual talent, over, roughly a 3 year collegiate period. There is a reason that dual threat QB's seem to have a poor track record at leading a team to wins beyond regular season play.

I one who care less about a QB's athletic ability to scramble while heading to a pro era that has become a pass happy crapshoot. Rudolph is the QB that do want from this draft, but would be good too with Kaaya.

There's nothing wrong with being a athletic QB's the give wr's time to get open. Maybe you didn't see what Wnston did on us week b4 last or what Prescott is doing in Dallas and what Wilson has meant to Seattle. We've never had a good pass-blocking OL......so we need a Qb who can make something happen in or outta the pocket.