1st Round Options...

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I wanted him to take a QB last year too. In fact I wanted him to pull he trigger on Paxton Lynch, and when Goodell said the trade was made up to 9, for a brief moment I was jazzing my boxers because thought he WAS taking Lynch. But he didn't. He obviously didn't like him enough, and perhaps felt that all of the later round QBs like Prescott were nobodies.

So he's highly selective about who he takes as his shot at a franchise QB. Not surprising seeing as he's a young, first time GM whose performance will be judged largely on whether or not he can get the most important position right. That doesn't make me feel worse about his likelihood of getting the pick right. If anything, the opposite. It shows he's dotting his i's and crossing his t's and is going be thorough in his decision. So when he does pick Trubisky/Watson/Kizer/whoever, we will at least know he isn't just taking a wild swing.

Dotting his i's and crossing his t's has FORCED us into the position of needing to take a QB. That's not an enviable position to be in.

You and I both wanted Lynch. The fact that Elway was the one who picked Lynch and sat him for a year to develop makes me think we were correct in wanting him.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And yet, I'm not

When you claim to have sources beyond that of the press and NFL front office insiders, on a messageboard, and refuse to say who they are, people are going to think you're full of shit 100% of the time.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it is more complicated than a lot of people make it. I think there are just too many different scenarios and every player has some risk. At this point, I'm not in love with what Pace has done but I'm not ready to condemn him, either. I think his biggest fault may have been the Fox hire. We can all put different scenarios on the table and we can all poke holes in every scenario.

The Bears are in desperate for a QB. So, I think they take one in the first or the second. They could get there by either just taking a QB where they pick. Or, if they think their guy would be available late in the first or early in the second they they can trade down and get an extra pick. Or, take the QB or another position and trade up in the second. So they should be able to get a pick in both the first in the second and get a QB they either love or like. Either way they are going to need a veteran. Personally, unless I am surprised, I think they have to take a QB in the first or second; one way or another.

But, the third is workable, too. What if they went OT, CB, QB? That shores up your o-line in a big way, gets starting talent at CB and still gets your QB. Though, likely, you would be committing to "that" veteran you sign for the first year. Or, DE, CB, QB? Or, CB, OL, QB. My point is that there are so many different scenarios and many of them will work; there is no one path.

If the line gets healthy after their respective surgeries, rest and rehab, the Bears have two very good or better guards and center. If Grasu gets healthy he could be a back up in the interior. Getting a starting OT in the first two picks and suddenly, the Bears are looking very, very good at the OL and that solves a LOT of problems on the offensive side of the ball. My point is that if the Bears make a few hits in FA and re-signings (Jeffrey's price has dropped) they can add talent and they aren't one or two positions away. Filling the holes and getting better, relatively quickly, doesn't scare me. Pace swinging for the fence and missing scares me. And keeping Fox around now really scares me, too. There were a lot of Fox detractors with whom I did not agree. I do agree now and think that he should be gone and Pace given another shot.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Don't know. I actually liked/still like the Hoyer signing. I just want some young blood to develop. And you have to draft someone to do that. My one and only point is you have to start taking some swings at this.

I get that and agree but we had and have so many needs with this team that he decided other areas were more of a concern at the time so maybe his plan was to get one this year and he was alright with going with Cutler, Shaw and Hoyer last year or maybe he thought a certain QB would be there for him to get a little later in the draft but it didn't work out. Who knows what his plan was and is so all we can do is hope he has a plan and that that plan works out well for us. This draft/off season is huge for him and i've never been more excited for a football season to end so we can get to free agency and the draft.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
When you claim to have sources beyond that of the press and NFL front office insiders, on a messageboard, and refuse to say who they are, people are going to think you're full of shit 100% of the time.

Don't care.

Im telling you like it is.

If you don't believe it, doesn't affect me one way or the other.

But it happened and that's a fact.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
People knew for weeks before the draft the Rams were going with Goff.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Have no issues at all with Garrett...

Have no issues at all with with a QB.

Free Agency will lean alot towards what I think they should draft.

Find two FAs who can start, a T and a FS, and the draft is completely different.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
Here's the thing. When you have a top 3 pick, it goes back to the argument of drafting BPA or drafting for need. It's clear that we have a dire need at QB. However, when you have possible all-pro talents staring you in the face (Garrert or Jonathan Allen) do you pass them up for a QB that has several flaws/question marks?

I've mentioned before that teams have used the strategy of taking that potential all-pro talent and then coming back for their franchise QB later in the first or early 2nd. In 2013 the Raiders QBs were Matt McGloin and Terrell Pryor. In the 2014 draft they went Khalil Mack with the 5th overall pick then grabbed Derek Carr with the 36th pick.

2013 the Vikings had Matt Cassell, Josh Freeman and Christian Ponder as their QBs. In the 2014 draft they took Anthony Barr with the 9th overall pick then grabbed Teddy B with the 32nd pick.

Just because you have a need at QB doesn't mean you have to reach for one with your first pick. If you have reservations about any of the top QBs then don't reach for them and take the player with less question marks.

It's debatable if Bridgewater was worth it unless you're okay with 15 TD, 12 INT and 17 TD, 9 INT years. Be real do you think this fanbase would be satisfied with a 15-12 rookie campaign? His sophomore campaign would have people marginal.

Fair enough that you don't need God at QB, but you aren't going very far IMO if your guy can't make plays either. I liked him since the Vikes really praised his leadership, but I was waiting for that step up beyond just being able to hand the ball off to AP. Now we may never know if his knee is as bad as Doctors say.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
It would only be acceptable to pass on a QB in the 1st if we're getting a true impact player at an impact position.

Myles Garrett is pretty much the only person who qualifies as the latter.

I'm suggesting we pass on a QB because there isn't a Qb worth picking at No.3 - No.5 other than maybe Trubisky and even that may be a stretch. If you feel otherwise then no worries you should definitely take one be that Kizer or Watson or any other.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
I'm suggesting we pass on a QB because there isn't a Qb worth picking at No.3 - No.5 other than maybe Trubisky and even that may be a stretch. If you feel otherwise then no worries you should definitely take one be that Kizer or Watson or any other.

I think Tabor at CB upgrades our CB position and is a probable Day 1 starter most likely and Malik Hooper is a Day 1 starter at Free Safety. Cam Robinson would be a Day 1 starter at RT once we've dumped the hot garbage that is Bobbie Massie.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Seems like a lot of people souring on Watson. Major questions about his accuracy down field and ability to make NFL throws consistently.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
It's debatable if Bridgewater was worth it unless you're okay with 15 TD, 12 INT and 17 TD, 9 INT years. Be real do you think this fanbase would be satisfied with a 15-12 rookie campaign? His sophomore campaign would have people marginal.

Fair enough that you don't need God at QB, but you aren't going very far IMO if your guy can't make plays either. I liked him since the Vikes really praised his leadership, but I was waiting for that step up beyond just being able to hand the ball off to AP. Now we may never know if his knee is as bad as Doctors say.

Unfortunately we may not see Bridgewater's full potential after his injury, but the Vikings were expecting him to make another leap in his development this season. I'm just saying that you don't have to use your first pick on a QB just because you have the need for one. The Jaguars took Bortles at #3 in that same draft as Carr and Bridgewater. He's not awful, but he hasn't proven to be the franchise QB they hoped for either. They could've had Mack; instead they're still trying to find that pass rusher for their defense.

If Pace isn't in love with any particular QB with that first pick, why reach for one? Take the best talent there.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Seems like a lot of people souring on Watson. Major questions about his accuracy down field and ability to make NFL throws consistently.

I love Watson. Heard all of the same things regarding Mariota but I never bought it. All of these prospects are going to need development but Watson has everything you could ask for and while its tough to judge a mental makeup from the outside it is apparent he is cool and calm under pressure and no lights are too bright for him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just draft the best QB you can.

The Bears should be picking 2nd once they lose out. They could literally have their pick of QBs if the Browns go with Garrett.

Drop your nuts and pick the guy you like the most.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
I think Tabor at CB upgrades our CB position and is a probable Day 1 starter most likely and Malik Hooper is a Day 1 starter at Free Safety. Cam Robinson would be a Day 1 starter at RT once we've dumped the hot garbage that is Bobbie Massie.

Humphrey is the best CB. They are saying Tabor might be best at Nickel.