2013 Draft Watch: Cubs clinch #2 pick

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm OK with the #2 pick. Would still rather have the #1, and the cash that goes with it... but with the #2, we should pick up one hell of a SP in the 1st round... and possibly some more pitching depth in the following rounds.

As I've stated before I hope the Astros do their underslot plan like they did this year so the Cubs can still snag the best available player with the #2 pick.

Unless he slips the smart pick is Mark Appel.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
As I've stated before I hope the Astros do their underslot plan like they did this year so the Cubs can still snag the best available player with the #2 pick.

Unless he slips the smart pick is Mark Appel.

I wonder about that too. They needed bodies though, and kind of took the same approach that the Rams did in the past two NFL drafts... trade away higher picks for more lesser picks in order to get worthwhile bodies on the field. That's what it looked like the Astros did with the draft this year, as well as many of their trades. It's a good approach when you have nothing to work with. However, I wonder how much the new ownership wanted to keep costs down a bit in his first year... and then spend.

Also, I think their pick of Correa was actually very good. I thought he was a top 3 or 4 pick myself. I personally would have either gone with Appel or Buxton. However, they got a top 5 player for reasonable money that allowed them to overslot slightly in the other 10 rounds (including the Comp rounds).

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
For sure, it was an excellent strategy by the Astros.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Astros still 10 games up heading into the next series. Cubs and Astros meet six more times this season before Houston moves to the AL. With only 22 games left for both, Houston's magic number for securing the #1 pick should be something like 12, right?

The other crappy thing is that the Rockies lost the double-header to Philly so they jump back into the #3 position and are only 2.5 games back of the Cubs. Dammit.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder about that too. They needed bodies though, and kind of took the same approach that the Rams did in the past two NFL drafts... trade away higher picks for more lesser picks in order to get worthwhile bodies on the field. That's what it looked like the Astros did with the draft this year, as well as many of their trades. It's a good approach when you have nothing to work with. However, I wonder how much the new ownership wanted to keep costs down a bit in his first year... and then spend.

Also, I think their pick of Correa was actually very good. I thought he was a top 3 or 4 pick myself. I personally would have either gone with Appel or Buxton. However, they got a top 5 player for reasonable money that allowed them to overslot slightly in the other 10 rounds (including the Comp rounds).

This is directed as much at Rice as you, but I don't think the Astros passed on best available. The last draft really lacked that clear cut number one, and Correra was moving up a lot of draft boards late. I think the fact that he was willing to sign so easily made it an easy choice, but I don't think the Stros passed up on a clearer better player to make it work this past draft.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is directed as much at Rice as you, but I don't think the Astros passed on best available. The last draft really lacked that clear cut number one, and Correra was moving up a lot of draft boards late. I think the fact that he was willing to sign so easily made it an easy choice, but I don't think the Stros passed up on a clearer better player to make it work this past draft.

Most draft charts had Buxton as the top player available and Appel as the best pitcher available, so it's reasonable to think that the Astros passed even though Correa was a reasonably awesome pick and as you said it wasn't like there was a consensus number one. The Astros strategy was definitely a good one as they got several top-tier prospects in the draft with the way they allocated funds throughout the first ten rounds.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:

I agree here entirely. It seemed kind of obvious that Correa was Houston's guy. I'm more than certain that much more than just signability went into that. There were a lot of people stating that it was either him or Buxton for that #1 pick, and there wasn't much surprise that they went with Correa.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs barely have a 1.5 game lead over Colorado for the #2 pick. Houston's got the #1 pick locked up. Cubs would win the tiebreaker over Colorado if they finish tied, but would lose to Minnesota (only three game cushion).

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
So Houston, Minnesota and Cleveland won :shifty:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Phillies have met their match in the Astros :shifty:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Colorado just pulled ahead against the Padres :woot:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stupid Rockies :fist:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Goodbye for now, #2 pick.

If the Cubs can somehow tie the Rockies by the end of the season, that pick will be reclaimed.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn. The Rockies decided to stop winning again.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Rockies need to win tonight to enter their home series against the Cubs in a tie for the #2 pick :D

Cubs should still hold the tie-breaker.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Astros:

The Astros have begun doing their homework for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2013 draft, and a familiar name could be in play once again, according to Brian McTaggart and Clark Goble of MLB.com. Stanford right-hander and Houston native Mark Appel will once again be among the team's candidates at 1-1, but he is just one of several players the team is considering, says scouting director Mike Elias. Appel, of course, was favored by many to be the No. 1 overall pick in this year's draft, but fell to the Pirates at No. 8 and did not sign. Houston instead selected Puerto Rican shortstop Carlos Correa.

As for the Rockies, if they don't fuck up they'll tie the Cubs for the #2 pick before tomorrow's series opener.