World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
12 out of 30 is pretty much what the Cubs' record is now :lol:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
So MIN won two today, COL won and Astros won. Cubs gain ground and cushion! :woot:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Keith Law, the same guy that continues to look upon Vogelbach as a non prospect?
Calling him a non-prospect is harsh, but that is how guys that are first base/DH types are viewed. The bat has to be absolutely flawless to get any mention. I like Vogelbach a lot, but he is a one tool guy right now.

BearsMod1

Liked Posts:
so, when we pick and Mark Appel is there do the Cubs draft him? and will he sign?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
so, when we pick and Mark Appel is there do the Cubs draft him? and will he sign?
Appel or Stanek is probably the guy at this point and really I think the Cubs will be able to sign either. The reason Appel didn't sign was because he wanted a signing bonus in the 5 or 6 million range. Once he slipped past 2 or 3 no team could really offer him that without losing a draft pick next year. However, a lot can change over the course of year with high schoolers getting better or worse, and of course injuries.

BearsMod1

Liked Posts:
Appel or Stanek is probably the guy at this point and really I think the Cubs will be able to sign either. The reason Appel didn't sign was because he wanted a signing bonus in the 5 or 6 million range. Once he slipped past 2 or 3 no team could really offer him that without losing a draft pick next year. However, a lot can change over the course of year with high schoolers getting better or worse, and of course injuries.
i heard next years draft is going to be pretty weak. how abou drafting Austin Wilson even though he is out fielder?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
A "weak" draft just means there aren't any potential Hall of Famers. But it doesn't mean there won't be all stars or solid guys. I imagine the Cubs grab best Guy available and then splurge on pitching again. If best guy is a pitcher then so be it.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is also based entirely on projecting guys that are anywhere from 17-22 years old right now ten years down the road. We don't really know about a draft class til many, many years down the road. And this is one of the many reasons why the baseball draft is so different than other sports, it isn't all about the first round draft pick. There are star players to be found in almost every draft well beyond the first round. The reason to be excited about the draft position is due slot pools with steep penalties for going over. The Cubs will have the second or third most money to spend and we saw what having that flexibility allowed a team like the Astros do in a weak draft pool.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're much more likely to find a good-to-elite player in the first round than in later rounds though.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of course it's way too much to ask the Astros to hold a lead against the Reds.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're much more likely to find a good-to-elite player in the first round than in later rounds though.

The first round is not unimportant, and guys in the beginning of the first round are more likely to be better. The point is that it isn't entirely about the first round pick. The draft pool money which next year carries over to international amateurs as well and the flexibility it gives is as important if not more so than the top draft pick.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The first round is not unimportant, and guys in the beginning of the first round are more likely to be better. The point is that it isn't entirely about the first round pick. The draft pool money which next year carries over to international amateurs as well and the flexibility it gives is as important if not more so than the top draft pick.

I swear WSD blogged about all this stuff :D

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Houston is winning! :woot:

Rockies just lost. Still have to see how the Twins do against the White Sox. Cubs gain a game on the Astros and at least keep pace with the others.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs now within 9.5 games of Houston.

:yes:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I suppose we should update this and say that Houston is pretty much locked into the #1 spot (despite keeping pace with the Cubs) and the Cubs are #2 with a comfortable cushion over their closest "competitors".

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I suppose we should update this and say that Houston is pretty much locked into the #1 spot (despite keeping pace with the Cubs) and the Cubs are #2 with a comfortable cushion over their closest "competitors".

I'm OK with the #2 pick. Would still rather have the #1, and the cash that goes with it... but with the #2, we should pick up one hell of a SP in the 1st round... and possibly some more pitching depth in the following rounds.