2013 MLB Draft Thread: Cubs with #2 pick

CSF77

Liked Posts:
In yesterday's matchup between likely first-round pitchers Mark Appel of Stanford and Trevor Williams of Arizona State, it was Appel that came up out on top, writes Keith Law of ESPN (on Insider). Law came away impressed with all of Appel's three primary pitches, along with his athleticism and mechanics. He noted that the Astros and Cubs scouts in attendance likely felt the same. Those two clubs, of course, possess the first two picks in the upcoming amateur draft.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Phil Rogers and Cubs Den both reported yesterday that the Cubs aren't certain about Appel. Some suggestions that Bryant or even Manaea could leapfrog Appel on the Cubs board. It will be interesting to see what the Cubs do decide to do with a pick they have to hit on.

patg006

Liked Posts:
In yesterday's matchup between likely first-round pitchers Mark Appel of Stanford and Trevor Williams of Arizona State, it was Appel that came up out on top, writes Keith Law of ESPN (on Insider). Law came away impressed with all of Appel's three primary pitches, along with his athleticism and mechanics. He noted that the Astros and Cubs scouts in attendance likely felt the same. Those two clubs, of course, possess the first two picks in the upcoming amateur draft.

Well theres no reason for the agenda slurpers not go get on board, their infallible prophet Keith Law has spoken, and approves.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Phil Rogers and Cubs Den both reported yesterday that the Cubs aren't certain about Appel. Some suggestions that Bryant or even Manaea could leapfrog Appel on the Cubs board. It will be interesting to see what the Cubs do decide to do with a pick they have to hit on.

Definitely hope you're wrong on this. Appel has dominated college for two years. He is the best talent and if hes there, should be the pick; no question.

Bryant came out of nowhere and started hitting home runs at U of San Diego. If he continues to look above average at 3B he could be the pick. He's rumored to be a 1B or OF; but in a league where 3B is a premium, somebody can fix his defense for that bat and size.

Manea I was big on, still am; because he looks like a Chris Sale clone. Same 5 pitches, same 3/4 lefty arm throwing motion, big, slender body. The best southpaw in the draft, but he should be on a very short list if Appel goes to Houston at 1 with Bryant and Grey for the selection.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
For me, its still Appel or Gray, whichever is there.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Definitely hope you're wrong on this. Appel has dominated college for two years. He is the best talent and if hes there, should be the pick; no question.

Bryant came out of nowhere and started hitting home runs at U of San Diego. If he continues to look above average at 3B he could be the pick. He's rumored to be a 1B or OF; but in a league where 3B is a premium, somebody can fix his defense for that bat and size.

Manea I was big on, still am; because he looks like a Chris Sale clone. Same 5 pitches, same 3/4 lefty arm throwing motion, big, slender body. The best southpaw in the draft, but he should be on a very short list if Appel goes to Houston at 1 with Bryant and Grey for the selection.
Not what I am saying, but rather passing along what I've been reading. I think I've been clear that given the situation this year the pick for the Cubs should be Appel and then Gray, but both Rogers and Tom Loxas from Cubs Den have been hearing rumblings that the Cubs aren't sold on Appel.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Law did a top 5 pick mock
1. Gray Houston
2. Appel Chicago
3. Bryant
4. Manaea
5. Moran

Says he still likes Appel more, but thinks Houston will try to get a pre-draft deal done with Gray so they can allocated more money to later rounds.

Remember, if Appel refuses to sign until the last minute, you don't now how much money you can give your other guys, and may very well miss out on signing several of them.

patg006

Liked Posts:
1. Gray Houston
2. Appel Chicago
3. Bryant
4. Manaea
5. Moran

Says he still likes Appel more, but thinks Houston will try to get a pre-draft deal done with Gray so they can allocated more money to later rounds.

Remember, if Appel refuses to sign until the last minute, you don't now how much money you can give your other guys, and may very well miss out on signing several of them.

The cubs have slightly more than 10.55 million to play with this year for the draft bonus with top 10 picks, more than the 7.9 they had last year. There is no excuse. Houston has 11.7, so I really dont see them being cheapskates either.....but if the prophet Keith Law says Houston will try to spend less, then he is never wrong. It is written. :fap:

Still will be no excuse to pass on the current most dominant college pitcher for 2 years now......even if Houston does try to make a deal with Grey.....

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
1. Gray Houston
2. Appel Chicago
3. Bryant
4. Manaea
5. Moran

Being that it is that Epstein likes to trade out ML talent for other teams prospects, there should be no shortage in the minor league body count.

If Appel is available. They should go after him with all guns blazing. You don't tank seasons for the high pick in the first round and not get your guy. Right ?

Let's not forget the few extra pennies that can be spent intenationally for tanking 2012. If they find as good of players this year like they did the one before, we will be losing another 100 games and eyeing another top five pick in the draft as a reward.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I could almost see Bryant if they could get his bat ready by 2015. Ie 1 full year in the system. At that point extend Garza and get into the Price sweepstakes with a deal centered around Baez. That big picture approach would make sense. Now if they are just looking to build through the farm system then take Appel. No brainier.

Franko725

Liked Posts:
Nope.

I would have been happy that the Cubs acted like a big boy, major market team, took a shot at the best player available knowing that if they didn't get him they would now have 2 top 10 picks this year instead of acting like a small market team that has to pinch it's pennies and draft players on sign-ability over talent.

Ah, so you can talk about them being a major market team when it comes to what they spend, but I couldn't bring it up when it came to the tv contract. If you don't remember here is a little reminder of what you said...

When they change the leagues from the American League and National League to the Big Market League and the Small Market League then your ignorance will hold some value.

Keep talking out both sides of your mouth...agendazzz and stuffzzz

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It isn't about spending less in not taking Appel for the Astros or the Cubs. The Cubs last year spent all the money in their pool and right before the point where overspending woudl cost a draft pick. The reason the Stros might pass is because Gray is really close and might be an easier sign. If you can get Gray locked in at or even a little below slot than you have money to play with for overslot guys in the second round. The Astros draft was almost universally praised because of the ability to add two big overslot guys with the money they saved on Correra. It is certainly an interesting siutation as we are in year 2 of the new draft dynamics.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
but both Rogers and Tom Loxas from Cubs Den have been hearing rumblings that the Cubs aren't sold on Appel.

i get a kick out of reading stuff like this from sports writers..

Nobody Know what epstein, hoyer, and mcleod are thinking in what direction their going to take and i doubt if asked they tell a reporter..
i dont know were not really sure about Appel..

so, i dont take what these guys say too seriously

Phil Rogers a joke, i think he waits to read what others say on his twitter first then reports it

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Ah, so you can talk about them being a major market team when it comes to what they spend, but I couldn't bring it up when it came to the tv contract. If you don't remember here is a little reminder of what you said...

When they change the leagues from the American League and National League to the Big Market League and the Small Market League then your ignorance will hold some value.

Keep talking out both sides of your mouth...agendazzz and stuffzzz

Whatever moistens your panties.

You whine about the Cubs not having as good a TV deal as the Yankees.

Clue phone for you, they NEVER will have as good a TV deal as the Yankees.

You whine about the Cubs not having as good a TV deal as a small handful of teams who just signed their new deals in the last 2-3 years that started the local media explosion.

Clue phone for you, the NEWER deals will always be better than the older deals.

That is why Vernon Wells made more money than Hank Aaron.

That is why Pujols, Fielder and Votto all made more than Teixeira.

It is why Greinke got more than Cain.

The Cubs time will come when their deal is up to be renewed. But even without the best TV deal, and a TV deal that is WAY better than your view of it is, the Cubs still remain a top revenue team who is acting more like the Royals or Pirates than a big market team.

But continue to be happy and defend the furthering of profits over wins. That is good, smart, baseball talk right there.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
i could see the hesitant in drafting someone that might be hard to sign..

when you have a set amount of money your allowed to spend and only 4 weeks to sign all your picks, you cant really jump to picks 3 4 and 5 and get them signed until you know how much your spending on 1 and 2..

so, if no.1 decides he wants most of the money allowed and sits and wait it out then their forced to decide whether they should let their no.1 pick go or risk losing other picks for lack of funds or no time to talk and make a deal with them..

does anyone know if say the top 3 teams drafting know their going to be able to take player A B or C are they allowed to talk to their agents before the draft to see what their looking for money wise..

patg006

Liked Posts:
It isn't about spending less in not taking Appel for the Astros or the Cubs. The Cubs last year spent all the money in their pool and right before the point where overspending woudl cost a draft pick. The reason the Stros might pass is because Gray is really close and might be an easier sign. If you can get Gray locked in at or even a little below slot than you have money to play with for overslot guys in the second round. The Astros draft was almost universally praised because of the ability to add two big overslot guys with the money they saved on Correra. It is certainly an interesting siutation as we are in year 2 of the new draft dynamics.

Nobody knew who Correa was until 2 weeks before the draft. Houston scouts were in Puerto Rico comparing him to Alex Rodriguez with the bat and remarkable with his arm because he could throw 97 mph from ss/3B to first base. Mix of both scared to spend on Appel and lightning in a bottle HS product. And much like Almora, he committed to Miami, likely in attempt to up his bonus value.

The cubs and astros, with 2.6 million more for the cubs and 700K for the astros more to spend this year should have NO problem getting the guy that was "too expensive" last year.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
i could see the hesitant in drafting someone that might be hard to sign..

when you have a set amount of money your allowed to spend and only 4 weeks to sign all your picks, you cant really jump to picks 3 4 and 5 and get them signed until you know how much your spending on 1 and 2..

so, if no.1 decides he wants most of the money allowed and sits and wait it out then their forced to decide whether they should let their no.1 pick go or risk losing other picks for lack of funds or no time to talk and make a deal with them..

does anyone know if say the top 3 teams drafting know their going to be able to take player A B or C are they allowed to talk to their agents before the draft to see what their looking for money wise..

I'm pretty sure only the first overall pick is allowed to officially negotiate with the team that owns the pick ahead of the draft, but I am sure there is a lot of talk between teams and most players about what it would take for them to sign.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nobody knew who Correa was until 2 weeks before the draft. Houston scouts were in Puerto Rico comparing him to Alex Rodriguez with the bat and remarkable with his arm because he could throw 97 mph from ss/3B to first base. Mix of both scared to spend on Appel and lightning in a bottle HS product. And much like Almora, he committed to Miami, likely in attempt to up his bonus value.

The cubs and astros, with 2.6 million more for the cubs and 700K for the astros more to spend this year should have NO problem getting the guy that was "too expensive" last year.

And hence why I've, repeatedly, said the Cubs should take him this year where it doesn't mean sacrificing virtually their entire draft.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
It isn't about spending less in not taking Appel for the Astros or the Cubs. The Cubs last year spent all the money in their pool and right before the point where overspending woudl cost a draft pick.

And likely spent most of their draft budget on guys who will never see the majors. That is the reality of the way the draft works.

Like I have said, I'd rather have seen them spend most of their draft budget on the best player available and a player that has a much, much, much better chance of making the majors and making an impact in the majors.

The whole rebuilding plan has been about putting all the teams eggs in the farm system basket, so why not put all the eggs of the 2012 draft into the basket of Appel??

5 of the top 7 picks last year were HS kids who likely have less than a 10% chance of even making it the bigs.

The facts show that even with Almora being rushed into the top 100 prospect rankings leaves about a 15% chance of him being a quality major league player.

So chances are pretty good that the Cubs will end up with nothing to show from all that 'smart' spending.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Astros draft plan was pretty cool though. Given the choice between one full Appel and two 75% Appels for about the same amount of money, I can see why they went with Correa and change. And Correa doesn't exactly suck either. The draft board is still going to change a bit between now and the end of May so it's not a guarantee that Appel and Gray are the picks, though they're likely to be.