2013 MLB Draft Thread: Cubs with #2 pick

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Didn't read far enough lol

Guess you didn't read. 2013 draftees have to sign by July 12, 2013. The Cubs could trade the #2 pick from this year's draft after 5 PM July 12, 2014. That would be before the July 31, 2014 trade deadline. Would you like a calendar to double check that?

Don't think I need a calendar since I specifically stated that for the draft picks from this draft to be the centerpiece of a deal it would have to wait till JULY OF 2014.

Don't know how your calendar works but between July 12th and July 31 of 2014 still is in July of 2014.

Unless this rule has changed in the last year or so with the rest of the draft changes, players can't be traded for a year after they have been drafted, so for any player drafted to be the centerpiece of a deal for Price, that centerpiece would have to wait till probably July of 2014

There you go since you clearly missed it the first time.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well Pat. I had the honor of being in Todd Huntley's class. He went varsity freshman year. Was skinny back then. Almost 100% sure he went on roids in the Mets system.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Nice. I went to high school with Luke Gregorson on the Padres. In case any of the CBS guys are wondering, no; I didnt outpitch him, no I didnt throw a no hitter against him, and no, I dont have 7 masters degrees like our favorite little scrub and his Zach Grienke stories......

Oh for the love of God Pat....

You mean you didn't even play "ring toss" at one of Luke's pajama parties ?

Or was it that his fog machine was in for repair and/or his BeeGees records were scratched and skipped on the record player.

I still have a copy of the Playboy with Diane from The Price Is Right posing nude. May be before your time but I would never tell anyone about it.

:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

patg006

Liked Posts:
Oh for the love of God Pat....

You mean you didn't even play "ring toss" at one of Luke's pajama parties ?

Or was it that his fog machine was in for repair and/or his BeeGees records were scratched and skipped on the record player.

I still have a copy of the Playboy with Diane from The Price Is Right posing nude. May be before your time but I would never tell anyone about it.

:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

Nope, see I was the new, hot-to-trot freshman; and he was a senior who won the 12A state title. He picked the ones that put out on the first date. Nothing I can do about that......

Met his mom and dad at a bar a year ago though, shes still a fox.

:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap: :harden::cum:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Only 30 rounds this year?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Had 40 rounds last year. Guess this is an indirect precursor to international draft.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Mark Appel is on ESPN U right now pitching against Arizona State. Currently 5th inning and he has a 5-2 lead.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
He falls off towards 1st base on most of his pitches, but seems to be more pronounced when throwing his slider or changeup.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Appel going back out for the 8th inning despite already being over 100 pitches.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Couple of observations. His stuff is pretty nasty. His slider is great. He does throw it a lot. May want to tone that down a little. He has great control and hits his spots well. I also love his build. He has a tree trunk for a lower half. Built really solid in the legs. That should mean he should be able to be strong through the season. I am not to concerned about pitch count. College baseball season is shorter so going 125 or 130 isnt a big deal to me. I personally believe babying arms hurt them more then anything. I am not saying go over board, but if you are trying to get an ace. You want to see him be able to throw and not look tired. Appel looked very strong. He got a bit unlucky on some things, but no doubt he is the clear cut number 1. Gray has nasty stuff as well, but Appel is more polished. I have no doubt he could pitch by September for a team this year. I really hope the Astros pass on him because he looks like a future horse to me.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Couple of observations. His stuff is pretty nasty. His slider is great. He does throw it a lot. May want to tone that down a little. He has great control and hits his spots well. I also love his build. He has a tree trunk for a lower half. Built really solid in the legs. That should mean he should be able to be strong through the season. I am not to concerned about pitch count. College baseball season is shorter so going 125 or 130 isnt a big deal to me. I personally believe babying arms hurt them more then anything. I am not saying go over board, but if you are trying to get an ace. You want to see him be able to throw and not look tired. Appel looked very strong. He got a bit unlucky on some things, but no doubt he is the clear cut number 1. Gray has nasty stuff as well, but Appel is more polished. I have no doubt he could pitch by September for a team this year. I really hope the Astros pass on him because he looks like a future horse to me.

Agree with not babying arms, the kid is 21, going to be 22 in July....I think his arm will be fine for a while longer.

Washington is still asking 'what if' from shutting down Stratsburg after getting knocked out of the playoffs.

As for Appel, if hes there, there is no excuse in the world Jedstein could use that would condone passing on this guy. He is the best; however I do believe fully that Houston takes him number 1. And I think Jedstein goes with Bryant, Manea, or Gray number 2.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
As for Appel, if hes there, there is no excuse in the world Jedstein could use that would condone passing on this guy.

Many have come up with every excuse in the world about how 'smart' it was to pass on him last year.

If he doesn't like the offer this year he can always go pitch Independent League baseball for a year. Luke Hochevar did it after the Dodgers selected him 40th overall in the 2005 draft and he never signed with them. He went #1 overall the next year.

Scott Boras client.

Franko725

Liked Posts:
Again KB, if you do not believe that you can sign your top pick, you do not make the selection. It would have been a waste of the pick.

As far as Hochevar goes, he was dealing with different rules back then. They did not have the caps on draft spending then, so you cannot really compare the two situations. If Appel were to go play in the Independent League, he would still have the same range of money to play with next season. He would have wasted a season of decent salary...unless he really doesn't want to pitch for Houston if they pick him.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Hochevar pitched independent league because his contract demands were high and he dropped to 40. Mark Appel will be picked top 3 and all but guaranteed to get 5-6M. There would be no point in going to the independent leagues if he is picked #3 vs. #1 as the difference in money would be 1M at most.

Franko725

Liked Posts:
He would also waste a year towards being arbitration eligible. Whatever team that drafts him isn't going to blow a year by bringing him up too early this year, and will not next year either. So, not only would he lose current money, he would lose future money as well.