2013 MLB Draft Thread: Cubs with #2 pick

CSF77

Liked Posts:
True enough. But this is based off of theory and long term plans vs stating a current hot player upcoming in trade deadlines. My point is big market should draft to acquire proven talent in general. Small markets should develop and retain then trade out when their value maxes to replenish the farm. I can see if the Cubs are gearing up to become trade deadline buyers. But if they are building up the farm to play like a small market mentality but on the flip side generate big market revenues. There is a probem at the core of the system. They are running the team for profit vs to win.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Anyways I'm questioning the approach that they are using. Drafting Almora was a retention pick. Not a high profile prospect. So a small market style pick. Soler F/A another long term investment. 26 pitching prospects. Again they are filling the system with needs. Now going into this years draft. They pick say Grey and he looks like a 3-4 year project I would use him as trade bait in 2014's deadline. Appel I would develop as he would be faster to the team. So say in 2014's draft. There is this hotshot HS arm again. Looks like a 4 year window. I would draft with the intention to deal him for a team need again. Now if there was another college player that they could get up in 2 years and he fills a team need at that point I would develop. To be honest I hope they start doing this and play the org as as the market dictates.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Anyways I'm questioning the approach that they are using. Drafting Almora was a retention pick. Not a high profile prospect. So a small market style pick. Soler F/A another long term investment. 26 pitching prospects. Again they are filling the system with needs. Now going into this years draft. They pick say Grey and he looks like a 3-4 year project I would use him as trade bait in 2014's deadline. Appel I would develop as he would be faster to the team. So say in 2014's draft. There is this hotshot HS arm again. Looks like a 4 year window. I would draft with the intention to deal him for a team need again. Now if there was another college player that they could get up in 2 years and he fills a team need at that point I would develop. To be honest I hope they start doing this and play the org as as the market dictates.

Well and good, but Bruce Levine (not sure where you stand with his opinions) q&a column on espnchicago yesterday featured the question from a fan "who do you like more between Appel and Gray with the 2nd pick?" and he brought up Bryant. But earlier it was hinted he may not be the 3rd baseman in the MLB or minors, and that he may have to switch to 1st or OF. If he continues his monstrous tear in the NCAA, and its a plus that hes a young Junior (only 21 and a half draft day,) I think this kid is going to become the pick, unless Houston takes him first, which some analysts and mock artists are insinuation.

Could we see another hitter then 20-something pitchers again? I dont know......I do like AJ Puk, HS pitcher 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
For a guy taken in the June draft this year to be the centerpiece of a David Price deal would mean that the trade wouldn't help until August next year because of the rule preventing trading of a player until a year after they sign. It is unlikely that Price makes it through the next offseason, and it is even more likely that PTBNL is the centerpiece of a deal for a stud with two years of control unfortunately for the Cubs purposes.

Dabynsky,

You are correct, however, they moved up the signing deadline to July 12th-ish (right before trade deadline). That is key as I don't think Price will be moved until next year's deadline. Basically, I am saying that there is nothing stopping the Cubs from "trading" the #2 pick in this year's draft to the Rays. It is just a matter of the Cubs developing Gray/Appel until they could actually be traded to the Rays.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Don't be surprised if the Cubs use whichever one of those 2 that they end up with as the centerpiece of a David Price deal.

Unless this rule has changed in the last year or so with the rest of the draft changes, players can't be traded for a year after they have been drafted, so for any player drafted to be the centerpiece of a deal for Price, that centerpiece would have to wait till probably July of 2014

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dabynsky,

You are correct, however, they moved up the signing deadline to July 12th-ish (right before trade deadline). That is key as I don't think Price will be moved until next year's deadline. Basically, I am saying that there is nothing stopping the Cubs from "trading" the #2 pick in this year's draft to the Rays. It is just a matter of the Cubs developing Gray/Appel until they could actually be traded to the Rays.

You are correct, but if the Rays hold to form they will deal Price this offseason with at least two full years of control to maximize return like they did with Garza and Shields.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
For a guy taken in the June draft this year to be the centerpiece of a David Price deal would mean that the trade wouldn't help until August next year because of the rule preventing trading of a player until a year after they sign. It is unlikely that Price makes it through the next offseason, and it is even more likely that PTBNL is the centerpiece of a deal for a stud with two years of control unfortunately for the Cubs purposes.

Didn't read far enough lol

Guess that rule hasn't changed.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Didn't read far enough lol

Guess you didn't read. 2013 draftees have to sign by July 12, 2013. The Cubs could trade the #2 pick from this year's draft after 5 PM July 12, 2014. That would be before the July 31, 2014 trade deadline. Would you like a calendar to double check that?

Willrust

Liked Posts:
You are correct, but if the Rays hold to form they will deal Price this offseason with at least two full years of control to maximize return like they did with Garza and Shields.

Really depends upon if the Rays really want the #2 pick in this years draft more than what other teams are offering, and are willing to chance Price & said pick not getting injured until after July 2014.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the Rays want to trade Price by this coming offseason, which means this year's draftees are off-limits. If the Rays have to offer arbitration to Price and sign him to a deal, considering Price got $10MM+ this season and has two more arb years left, he's liable to make anywhere from $13-17MM next season (depending on how soon he gets out of the early season funk) and that will mess with his trade value. They're going to trade him sooner rather than later, so don't count on PTBNL or this year's draft picks as trade chips because Price likely won't last to next July in TB.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really depends upon if the Rays really want the #2 pick in this years draft more than what other teams are offering, and are willing to chance Price & said pick not getting injured until after July 2014.

I think Jurickson Profar easily would trump whoever the Cubs take at #2, but that is just me.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
For your consideration:

High school shortstop Riley Unroe is seeing his stock soar as he was viewed to a fifth-to-seventh round talent but could now find himself going as early as late in the first round and in the sandwich round, at worst, writes Allan Simpson of Perfect Game. Keith Law of ESPN.com (Insider sub. req'd) recently wrote that he personally sees Unroe as a third round talent but wouldn't be surprised to see him go higher.

Via MLBTR. If he slips to second or third round Cubs might have a shot.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
2nd round pick -

1. Eric Jagielo - 3B Notre Dame.
2. Marco Gonzales - LHP Gonzaga.
3. Robert Kaminsky - LHP St. Joseph Regional HS NJ.
4 Trey Masek - RHP Texas Tech.
5. Chris Anderson - RHP Jacksonville University.
6. Alex Gonzalez - RHP Oral Roberts.
7. Aaron Blair - RHP Marshall.

Notice a theme there?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
2nd round pick -

1. Eric Jagielo - 3B Notre Dame.
2. Marco Gonzales - LHP Gonzaga.
3. Robert Kaminsky - LHP St. Joseph Regional HS NJ.
4 Trey Masek - RHP Texas Tech.
5. Chris Anderson - RHP Jacksonville University.
6. Alex Gonzalez - RHP Oral Roberts.
7. Aaron Blair - RHP Marshall.

Notice a theme there?

Went to school with him, graduated a few years before me. We actually drafted him in the 50th round a few years back.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Sure, Profar would be a better prospect choice compared to Appel/Gray. But it really appears the Rangers aren't willing to let him go. They had a chance at Upton and wouldn't pull that trigger.

Why wouldn't they pull a trade for Price? Well, the Rangers have Darvish, Harrison, Ogando, Holland (club option) and Martin Perez through 2017. Why do they need Price when they have a needs at RF (Cruz), LF (Murphy) & DH (Berkman) after this year? Based upon reports, the Rangers will move Kinsler to 1B, Moreland to DH, Olt to RF and Profar/Andrus to 2B. That leaves a need at LF, not to mention the need at C if Pierzynski leaves. So, they need positional players next year, why would they trade the top positional prospect in baseball and have to fill another positional hole?

They could offer Cody Buckel, Martin Perez and a couple lesser prospects (Joey Gallo & Rougned Odor), but do the Rays have Buckel/Perez rated higher than Appel/Gray (and Gallo/Odor higher than Baez/Vogelbach)?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Sure, Profar would be a better prospect choice compared to Appel/Gray. But it really appears the Rangers aren't willing to let him go. They had a chance at Upton and wouldn't pull that trigger.

Why wouldn't they pull a trade for Price? Well, the Rangers have Darvish, Harrison, Ogando, Holland (club option) and Martin Perez through 2017. Why do they need Price when they have a needs at RF (Cruz), LF (Murphy) & DH (Berkman) after this year? Based upon reports, the Rangers will move Kinsler to 1B, Moreland to DH, Olt to RF and Profar/Andrus to 2B. That leaves a need at LF, not to mention the need at C if Pierzynski leaves. So, they need positional players next year, why would they trade the top positional prospect in baseball and have to fill another positional hole?

They could offer Cody Buckel, Martin Perez and a couple lesser prospects (Joey Gallo & Rougned Odor), but do the Rays have Buckel/Perez rated higher than Appel/Gray (and Gallo/Odor higher than Baez/Vogelbach)?

Can't trade Appel and Gray until around the trade deadline NEXT season anyway

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I agree with that. If he gets traded it will be this off season. Cubs would have to go with what they have now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well and good, but Bruce Levine (not sure where you stand with his opinions) q&a column on espnchicago yesterday featured the question from a fan "who do you like more between Appel and Gray with the 2nd pick?" and he brought up Bryant. But earlier it was hinted he may not be the 3rd baseman in the MLB or minors, and that he may have to switch to 1st or OF. If he continues his monstrous tear in the NCAA, and its a plus that hes a young Junior (only 21 and a half draft day,) I think this kid is going to become the pick, unless Houston takes him first, which some analysts and mock artists are insinuation.

Could we see another hitter then 20-something pitchers again? I dont know......I do like AJ Puk, HS pitcher 2nd or 3rd rounder.

I couldn't pass on Appel. Mock draft site has Hou. Taking Manaea #1. Honesty I can see it after watching them last year.

patg006

Liked Posts:
I couldn't pass on Appel. Mock draft site has Hou. Taking Manaea #1. Honesty I can see it after watching them last year.

New ones have Bryant going first or Grey/Appel depending on the writer's opinion. Some hate Appel and drop him 4th--dumb. I couldnt pass either. Byrant is turning into a top 2 candidate; and I think its because of him being able to man 3B. I think Houston passes on him because they took big potential hitter last year Correia.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Went to school with him, graduated a few years before me. We actually drafted him in the 50th round a few years back.

Nice. I went to high school with Luke Gregorson on the Padres. In case any of the CBS guys are wondering, no; I didnt outpitch him, no I didnt throw a no hitter against him, and no, I dont have 7 masters degrees like our favorite little scrub and his Zach Grienke stories......