2013 MLB Draft Thread: Cubs with #2 pick

patg006

Liked Posts:
Bruce Levine today hinted of Kris Walker, the University of San Diego Third Baseman dominating college; from the NY Times:

Bryant’s 21 home runs in 41 games through Thursday led the nation and established a single-season program record with 13 games to play. His 44 homers in three seasons established a career record at San Diego; the old mark was set in four seasons.

Bryant, a 6-foot-5, 215-pound junior, homered twice against the University of California at Santa Barbara at home on April 16. He then homered in all three games of a weekend sweep at Santa Clara. It was the second time this season he has had five home runs in four games.

Batting .352, Bryant also led the nation in slugging percentage (.883) and walks (50). He had a .523 on-base percentage and an off-the-charts 1.406 on-base plus slugging percentage. He had scored 52 runs and driven in 44. He has grounded into a double play only twice in three seasons.

Bryant is nine months older than Harper, the phenom who made his major league debut at 19 last year with the Washington Nationals. They played for rival high schools in Las Vegas and at one time were teammates on a travel team. They took different paths toward their dreams of playing big-league ball.

Harper skipped his final year at Las Vegas High, earned his G.E.D. and then played one season of junior college ball at the College of Southern Nevada to become eligible for the 2010 draft, where he became the No. 1 pick. He was an All-Star and the National League rookie of the year in 2012.

An interesting player, no doubt.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
^ I think that's a guy they'll keep an eye on if he slips to the second round.

patg006

Liked Posts:
^ I think that's a guy they'll keep an eye on if he slips to the second round.

At the pace hes going; an athletic 3B who gets on base, hits for power, crushing his league, makes few mistakes at the plate and in the field; drawing comparisons to Bryce Harper--hes not falling out of the top 5.....

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
At the pace hes going; an athletic 3B who gets on base, hits for power, crushing his league, makes few mistakes at the plate and in the field; drawing comparisons to Bryce Harper--hes not falling out of the top 5.....

I think the sights are set on pitching but the draft board often shifts around a bit in May and stabilizes the week before the actual draft. I think if Houston takes one of the big-boy pitchers and the Cubs sour on the others, this is a possibility. It might also allow them to underslot and try last year's Astros plan to try to sign more talent in later rounds, but who knows. I'd be very surprised at this point in time if the Cubs didn't take either Appel or Gray unless one of their arms explodes.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think the sights are set on pitching but the draft board often shifts around a bit in May and stabilizes the week before the actual draft. I think if Houston takes one of the big-boy pitchers and the Cubs sour on the others, this is a possibility. It might also allow them to underslot and try last year's Astros plan to try to sign more talent in later rounds, but who knows. I'd be very surprised at this point in time if the Cubs didn't take either Appel or Gray unless one of their arms explodes.

Thanks for jinxing it, Rice. They'll both be dead tomorrow :(

patg006

Liked Posts:

It seems cut and dry that the cubs cant screw this up. However, with a gigantic need for great 3B and this kid looking like a sure thing (i know, i know....), man among boys at U San Diego and the lack of 3B in the farm (not relying on Baez to just be able to play it.)

I can start to see this kid get taken (if houston passes on him) then another slew of pitchers rounds 2-9 like last year. This kid 2nd and AJ Puk 2nd round would be a nice start.....

patg006

Liked Posts:
It seems cut and dry that the cubs cant screw this up. However, with a gigantic need for great 3B and this kid looking like a sure thing (i know, i know....), man among boys at U San Diego and the lack of 3B in the farm (not relying on Baez to just be able to play it.)

I can start to see this kid get taken (if houston passes on him) then another slew of pitchers rounds 2-9 like last year. This kid 2nd and AJ Puk 2nd round would be a nice start.....

Should elaborate further, I still think Appel is the best player; and unless Houston takes him first (could see hometown kid go home) the cubs should try and take him. HOwever, I think Houston does take Appel first, leaving Grey, Manea or Bryant.....

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Should elaborate further, I still think Appel is the best player; and unless Houston takes him first (could see hometown kid go home) the cubs should try and take him. HOwever, I think Houston does take Appel first, leaving Grey, Manea or Bryant.....

It would be a very interesting decision. I'll definitely keep an eye on the mock drafts in a couple weeks :D

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Many scouts have major doubts on whether Bryant can stick at third though, many believing he'll end up being a first baseman. So I wouldn't count on him as a sure thing at 3rd. I think Baez does end up moving there, we'll just have to see if he cuts down the errors there (hard to find advanced defensive metrics for minors, so all we have to go by is the 11 he has committed already at shortstop, Alcantara has 8 there too, seems all of our shortstops are having troubles with that).

Right now though, for the fuck of it, this seems to be the prospect and young player projection best-case scenario (e.g. no flops, and not counting free agent signings):
LF Jackson/CF Almora/RF Soler
3B Baez/SS Castro/2B Barney/Alcantara/Watkins/1B Rizzo
C Castillo
SP Samardzija/Vizcaino/Johnson/Cabrera/Wells or Maples

So I'd say pitching and catching are our two weakest spots by far. And of course, pitching means more than catching and there isn't a huge name catcher in this draft anyway.

I believe we'll know who the Cubs take based on which of Appel or Gray Houston takes.

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Many scouts have major doubts on whether Bryant can stick at third though, many believing he'll end up being a first baseman. So I wouldn't count on him as a sure thing at 3rd. I think Baez does end up moving there, we'll just have to see if he cuts down the errors there (hard to find advanced defensive metrics for minors, so all we have to go by is the 11 he has committed already at shortstop, Alcantara has 8 there too, seems all of our shortstops are having troubles with that).

Right now though, for the fuck of it, this seems to be the prospect and young player projection best-case scenario (e.g. no flops, and not counting free agent signings):
LF Jackson/CF Almora/RF Soler
3B Baez/SS Castro/2B Barney/Alcantara/Watkins/1B Rizzo
C Castillo
SP Samardzija/Vizcaino/Watkins/Cabrera/Wells or Maples

So I'd say pitching and catching are our two weakest spots by far. And of course, pitching means more than catching and there isn't a huge name catcher in this draft anyway.

I believe we'll know who the Cubs take based on which of Appel or Gray Houston takes.

Why is catcher weak? Is Castillo not hitting? He is going to be one hell of a defensive catcher. His arm is awesome and is coming into his own on how to call a game. He is also what, 26? Or are you talking catching depth in the minors?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
As for who the Cubs draft, I think it will be either Appel or Gray and I dont think anybody else is close. I believe Almora was drafted last year because he is considered a safe prospect. He is supposively the least risk of not making the majors out of the players in the farm. His plus defense is what they are banking on. Many scouts believe he is safest prospect the Cubs have in the system.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Why is catcher weak? Is Castillo not hitting? He is going to be one hell of a defensive catcher. His arm is awesome and is coming into his own on how to call a game. He is also what, 26? Or are you talking catching depth in the minors?

He doesn't look too bad thus far Silence. I may end up eating some crow.

:dilfer:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Castillo is hitting, sure, but there also isn't a ton of options behind him in case he doesn't pan out great long-term, and catchers do tend to have shorter and earlier primes.

For example, look at the depth of good/well enough above average (not just quality) prospects across the board (some listed at multiple spots):
(Not in order of how good they are btw)
OF: Soler, Almora, Jackson, Szczur, Silva, Ha, Andreoli, Martin
1B: Rizzo in majors, Vogelbach, Vitters
2B: Barney, Alcantara, Baez, Castro, Hernandez, Amaya, Watkins, Lake, Torreyes, Villanueva
SS: Castro, Baez, Alcantara, Hernandez, Amaya, Lake
3B: Baez, Castro, Villanueva, Lake, Candelario
C: Castillo and I guess Hernandez and Krist, but not much there
SP: Samardzija, Vizcaino, Johnson, Maples, Wells, Cabrera, Paniagua

Therefore, Catching and Pitching are the two biggest holes, pitching the far more important

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No point in drafting a 3B in the 1st round. Cubs need a 3B now. Not another 3 year project. If they don't draft a pitcher with the 2 pick I've lost what little hope I had for the clown-shop. Err brain-Trust.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
No point in drafting a 3B in the 1st round. Cubs need a 3B now. Not another 3 year project. If they don't draft a pitcher with the 2 pick I've lost what little hope I had for the clown-shop. Err brain-Trust.

Unless something major happens, it will be Appel or Gray.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
If you have little faith in your teams scouting and development then yes it is the best way.

So if you don't have any faith in your team's scouting and development you give them a more valuable pick that hurts the franchise more if you miss on it??

Um, ok.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No the higher the pick the more obvious choices are on the board to chose from. Later round it takes better scouting to find harder to find good picks. Don't get me wrong I would rather have the latter. Bad picks and good scouting. But yes in general if a team is concistantly picking high round that means what they are doing is not working. No excuse for losing. Minn, Oak, TB all have small markets and they found success. Now I do not believe the Cubs should run like that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But as we saw with Vitters. Having a high pick doesn't mean much. The Hendry ran drafts were more miss than hit. Almora was a safe pick. I can agree with that assessment. But some of the 1st rounders.....Colvin....Simpson.....Vitters. Just bad picks. B. Jaxx for a late 1st rounder was very good. Cash was solid. Baez even though that was a Rickets run show where they over paid. Best draft in years IMO. Last year not so much. Like the 26 pitchers drafted. About it.