2013 MLB Draft Thread: Cubs with #2 pick

Franko725

Liked Posts:
Back to the previous point though. I am fairly confident that they contacted Boras. Boras being the egotistical ass that he is, likely threw out a huge number, just like he always does. Am I saying that whatever that number was, they could not have signed him for less? No, I am not. However, do you risk wasting your FIRST ROUND PICK if you are not confident that you can sign the guy? No, you do not. This team has way to many holes in way to many places not to make sure that you get something out of that pick.
You obviously didn't read my post. Thanks for trying.

I am not saying that wouldn't be stupid. But it has been common practice for some time now for Boras to make demands that are unrealistic. He often does not back down from those demands when negotiating for his clients. He has lost some clients in the past for his actions. If you know going in that he is asking for almost your entire budget for the draft, and you are not able to meet those demands, you do not make the pick. The Cubs need way too many spots filled to spend everything on one guy. There is no guarantee that any of the guys will ever make the team, but there is also no guarantee that Appel will ever be great either. Is he more likely too than other guys, of course he is, but still no guarantee.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
You guys will clearly believe whatever is spoon fed to you.

Ricketts is pissing in your face, telling you it is raining and then selling you a shitty umbrella for $100 and you guys think it was the best purchase ever.

If it was common practice for Boras to make the completely outrageous offers you have been programmed to believe, he would never get any players signed, players would stop signing with him and he would be out of work.

Back from your fantasy island and into the real world, Boras is a massively successful agent who clearly has a very long track record of getting deals done with professional baseball teams because that is how he gets paid.

He doesn't make deals, he doesn't make money.

If the Cubs had drafted Appel, would a deal have been easy?? Nope.

But there is also no fact or logic that a deal would have been impossible, especially with the facts that the Cubs had $1.5 million more in draft budget than the Pirates did. Seeing as the Cubs went over their budget amount by almost $400k, that gives the Cubs almost $2 million more than the Pirates.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
So because Boras said that they never talked to him you take that as the gospel truth???
Pretty much yeah. He has no reason to lie.
Funny how it was reported by numerous sources that Appel TURNED DOWN a $3.8 million offer from the Pirates.
Most of that was filtered thru the Pirates owner, if I recall. Of course he would say such tripe. Boras, on the other hand, has no reason to lie.
I am not the smartest guy in the world,
I have tried reading you. I agree.
but how do you turn down something that was never supposedly given to you in the first place?? To make an offer, don't you have to make contact with the person so they know there is something to turn down??
Somebody is lying, perhaps?
Secondly, Appel was never Scott Boras' client. Boras was simply an adviser to Appel. Teams are under no obligations to contact Boras to negotiate with Appel and may have even felt that doing so could possibly do damage to Appel's eligibility.
Yet Appel was a pawn to Boras thru the entire ordeal.

"There was no communication with us (before draft)," Boras told me today. "We certainly would’ve let them know we didn’t have a fit there. These players have options when you have that kind of talent. That was an unfortunate event for all of us."

Sounds a bit more then just an advisor, but that's just me.

Creme

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Pretty much yeah. He has no reason to lie.

Really?? An agent has no reason to lie?

Are you really this stupid??

Most of that was filtered thru the Pirates owner, if I recall. Of course he would say such tripe. Boras, on the other hand, has no reason to lie.

So it must have been filtered through the Pirates owner and out of Appel's lips since he himself was quoted as saying he turned down the Pirates offer.

Clearly you are this stupid.

Sounds a bit more then just an advisor, but that's just me.

And even more proof as to how stupid you are.

When has the NCAA ever allowed a player to sign with an agent and then return to college athletics in the same sport?

I'll wait for your answer.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Really?? An agent has no reason to lie?
When does an owner suddenly become an angel when he messed up drafting a player he had no feasible way to sign?

Stereotype much?
Are you really this stupid??
Well, I have been trying to work thru your posts.......

So it must have been filtered through the Pirates owner and out of Appel's lips since he himself was quoted as saying he turned down the Pirates offer.

Clearly you are this stupid.
Yet Boras himself stated there was no communication......

And even more proof as to how stupid you are.

When has the NCAA ever allowed a player to sign with an agent and then return to college athletics in the same sport?

I'll wait for your answer.
When did the NCAA suddenly become the bar for being on the up, again?

Did you really think this thru? Considering "advisors" are nothing more then agents?

Creme

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
When did the NCAA suddenly become the bar for being on the up, again?

Did you really think this thru? Considering "advisors" are nothing more then agents?

Creme

Still waiting for your answer.

We all know you don't have one, so it is ok to just come clean and admit it.

CherokeeReds

Liked Posts:
This whole Appel thing has been dragged out a little too long. Last year all teams knew there was a risk of not being able to sign him. All teams have other alternatives. As the draft proceeds the alternatives become closer, eventually less attractive, than the risk. The Cubs obviously judged that drafting and signing Almora was a better move than taking the risk of drafting and losing Appel. Obviously the Pirates felt the chance of signing Appel exceeded the alternatives. Really shouldn't be much more complicated than that.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Reds. If you can remember. Almora was also a risk. He didn't make up his mind until the very end when he had to make his decision.

He was not a sure thing to sign by any stretch of the imagination. They basically overpaid to get him. Now we will see if he amounts to a hill of beans.

CherokeeReds

Liked Posts:
Reds. If you can remember. Almora was also a risk.

Yes, thanks ms, I remember. I also remember them expressing confidence that they could sign him. Apparently they didn't feel that way about Appel.

I'd like to see the Cubs draft Appel this year, though.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Yes, thanks ms, I remember. I also remember them expressing confidence that they could sign him. Apparently they didn't feel that way about Appel.

I'd like to see the Cubs draft Appel this year, though.

I'd like to see the Cubs go for the worst record. Why not? If they have absolutely no chance of winning at the parent level, then stock up the minor league levels that much quicker with top picks. It isn't like the Cubs have had an abundance of top picks as of late.

The Cubs would have their work cut out for them however, seeing as 3 teams have a worse record and the Cubs are currently tied with SD for the 4th overall pick. (inhales nervously, fingers crossed)

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see the Cubs go for the worst record. Why not? If they have absolutely no chance of winning at the parent level, then stock up the minor league levels that much quicker with top picks. It isn't like the Cubs have had an abundance of top picks as of late.

The Cubs would have their work cut out for them however, seeing as 3 teams have a worse record and the Cubs are currently tied with SD for the 4th overall pick. (inhales nervously, fingers crossed)

I'd like to see Command Central fired along with the manager and all the coaching, minus Dave McKay.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

unfortunately thats the way you need to do it..

if your building up a minor league system you need to get as much (quantity) young players as you can get in order to find the quality ones..

ricketts only gave theo and jed about a 100 mil payroll to stay competitive, which means they can only sign mid range FAs that they can flip in july for more prospects and which also means they suck even more in the 2nd half of season and get themselves in position for a top draft pick..

this is going to be IMO a 3-5 yr process depending on the growth of the younger players like soler, baez, etc.. what didnt help this process much is that when they took over last year they didnt have much in their system that was a year or so away which couldve sped up the process a bit.. IE jackson, vitters, ETC

right now as far as position players go, their hoping/looking to build around castillo, rizzo, and castro hopefully ( fingers crossed ) they can add a couple to those 3 by the end of this season..

Franko725

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see Command Central fired along with the manager and all the coaching, minus Dave McKay.

Yes, because again, it is their fault that they have two guys taking up 30% of the payroll, neither of which are contributing a damn thing this year in Soriano and Marmol, and another 10% of the payroll in Garza that has yet to pitch an inning. You know, the guys that Hendry signed. It must feel great for the front office to know that 40% of the payroll has done nothing so far this year. Marmol should have been traded years ago when they could have gotten a nice return for him. Now they would be lucky to get anything, or anyone to take him for that matter.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Yes, because again, it is their fault that they have two guys taking up 30% of the payroll, neither of which are contributing a damn thing this year in Soriano and Marmol, and another 10% of the payroll in Garza that has yet to pitch an inning. You know, the guys that Hendry signed. It must feel great for the front office to know that 40% of the payroll has done nothing so far this year. Marmol should have been traded years ago when they could have gotten a nice return for him. Now they would be lucky to get anything, or anyone to take him for that matter.

As opposed to the stellar production coming from Baker, Feldman, E-Jax, Sappelt, Loe, Camp, Bowden, Ransom, Hairston, and Stewart that's occupying 33% of the payroll?

I'll take my chances that Garza and Soriano will build their value back up before any of the aforementioned players do.

BTW, I believe it was the Cubs decision to hold on to Soriano this year (even though he vetoed the SF deal last year), and the Cubs could have dealt Marmol too but pulled the deal off of the table.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
As opposed to the stellar production coming from Baker, Feldman, E-Jax, Sappelt, Loe, Camp, Bowden, Ransom, Hairston, and Stewart that's occupying 33% of the payroll?

I'll take my chances that Garza and Soriano will build their value back up before any of the aforementioned players do.

BTW, I believe it was the Cubs decision to hold on to Soriano this year (even though he vetoed the SF deal last year), and the Cubs could have dealt Marmol too but pulled the deal off of the table.

Do you know what the offers were like coming in? You have no clue what teams were offering. Dont trade him just to trade him. Need someone to bat behind Rizzo dont you?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Do you know what the offers were like coming in? You have no clue what teams were offering. Dont trade him just to trade him. Need someone to bat behind Rizzo dont you?

That was merely to point out that the Cubs had an opportunity to trade Soriano last year, and I would bet that they had an opportunity to trade him in the off-season, however, the Cubs were very adamant that they were not simply going to give him away either.

This has more to do with a rebuttal that these were just Hendry's signings, and obviously the current regime thought better of it to hold on to the 136 million dollar man, or in your case, have a bat behind Rizzo.

If they wanted to simply rid him from the team, they would have pulled another Zambrano for Volstad deal.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
unfortunately thats the way you need to do it..

bearz99,

Actually no that is not the way you need to do it.

Many teams have built up their farm system drafting in the middle to the end of the first round.

But continue to believe the PR campaign while Ricketts pockets hundreds of millions of dollars while providing us one of the worst teams in the league.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If you have little faith in your teams scouting and development then yes it is the best way. Big markets that win and draft well like STL, NYY, ATL have benifited from the best scouting and development. Now that is one area that I was happy with the turn over. They were taking the horse by the reigns in focusing up on a weakness on the team. I did not agree with the cut in payroll to go along with a new limit system in drafting and signing forgin F/A that was not in place before. But looking at this draft. If it leads into Appel and he becomes a future ace the 1 100 loss season was a fair payment. Now 100 loss seasons for 3-4 years to justify having a bigger draft allotment is asking too much. This team turns over too much bankroll to not fix their issues via F/A.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you have little faith in your teams scouting and development then yes it is the best way. Big markets that win and draft well like STL, NYY, ATL have benifited from the best scouting and development. Now that is one area that I was happy with the turn over. They were taking the horse by the reigns in focusing up on a weakness on the team. I did not agree with the cut in payroll to go along with a new limit system in drafting and signing forgin F/A that was not in place before. But looking at this draft. If it leads into Appel and he becomes a future ace the 1 100 loss season was a fair payment. Now 100 loss seasons for 3-4 years to justify having a bigger draft allotment is asking too much. This team turns over too much bankroll to not fix their issues via F/A.
Can't disagree with anything said here to be honest.

Franko725

Liked Posts:

What exactly do you expect out of all of the players you listed other that Jackson? If the Cubs hadn't signed some sort of pitching, where would this team be? The starting pitching has not been the problem, the bullpen and offense have.

As far as Garza and Soriano go, I would take my chances on Garza getting back to form...IF he can get healthy. With Soriano, given his age, I do not know that you can continue to count on him giving you any production. You might be able to if he was only a DH, but that isn't going to happen as a Cub. I would have loved to have seen them trade him for something in the off-season, but you cannot just trade him for the sake of trading him. It would have to bring something back in return. His value at the trade deadline to an AL team needing a DH might be higher than anything they could have gotten in the off season.