2013 MLB Draft Thread: Cubs with #2 pick

patg006

Liked Posts:
So not taking Appel last year is part of throwing away several seasons? K.

The guy was the best pitcher in college and the consensus #1 pick by everybody; people were afraid to pay him what he wanted. He probably needs very little seasoning in the minors before he starts pitching in the majors.

Is Albert Almora in need of a little seasoning before being MLB ready? No? 3-4 year wait then? Oh and he had to get a bone removed, delaying it.

:fap::fap::fap:

:enough:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
They Cubs had like an extra $1.5M on draft budget than the Pirates had. it is not unreasonable to think that might have made the difference in the 'sign-ability issue'
The point raised about taking Appel now was the amount of pitches he has been throwing at Stanford this year, something that is completely out of the team's control.

So instead of him being in the Cubs organization where his pitch count and innings could be closely monitored and he would have a season of professional baseball against hitters using wooden bats under his belt.

He is averaging almost 8IP a game. He has already thrown 70 IP's and the team still has 20 regular season games, plus the regionals and possible super regionals and College World Series.

So he probably still has another 6-9 starts to make. So that could be anywhere from 120-140 IP's before the draft in June. Which means he probably wouldn't throw more than 10-30 IP's as a pro if any at all. They might just shut him down the rest of the year.

Appel was the best player available when the team picked at #6 and they passed on him. I had an issue with it at the time and I still have an issue with it.
If Appel was willing to sign for the 6 million he reportedly turned down from the Astros that would have left the Cubs 1.9 million in their draft budget last year.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
And then you have to convince those picks to sign for barely anything since you lose their slot $ if you fail to sign them.

Fine.

Use the other 11 draft picks on college seniors who have little to no negotiating strength and offer them all the minimum 100k.

Pierce Johnson was a 4 year college sandwich pick. Offer him 900k and the rest 100k.

You are right at your draft cap and there is probably less than a 10% chance that anyone other than Appel or Johnson becomes a quality major league player anyways, so why not at least get the player who probably has the greatest chance of becoming an impact major league player instead of yet another lottery ticket in a high school kid?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think this is being over played. Almora was Theo's boy from the start. The fact that Appel fell was not going to change it. Picks 2-5 passed also. Each team had the guy they wanted and they did not drop their choice to jump at Appel either. Pads didn't at #7. They wanted the HS lefty and passed on Appel. I believe this has more to do with pre draft talks and how each pick is already decided pre draft. Appel wanted first pick cash. Stroes wanted to spend more later round. The rest had their guy locked in. Pirates had not much to lose at #8 and would get another pick this year if he didn't sign.

Now I didn't like the pick as I was looking at SD's pick and thought he should have been the choice. CF has depth at every level and it was a pointless need pick.

Regardless old news. I want Appel this year and he deserves top 2 pick cash.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think this is being over played. Almora was Theo's boy from the start. The fact that Appel fell was not going to change it. Picks 2-5 passed also. Each team had the guy they wanted and they did not drop their choice to jump at Appel either. Pads didn't at #7. They wanted the HS lefty and passed on Appel. I believe this has more to do with pre draft talks and how each pick is already decided pre draft. Appel wanted first pick cash. Stroes wanted to spend more later round. The rest had their guy locked in. Pirates had not much to lose at #8 and would get another pick this year if he didn't sign.

Now I didn't like the pick as I was looking at SD's pick and thought he should have been the choice. CF has depth at every level and it was a pointless need pick.

Agreed.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Wouldn't call Almora a pointless needs pick, besides, at the time we were locking up Soler, and Jackson and Szczur still looked salvageable (Szczur is starting to get back to that point, BJax is injured).

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't call Almora a pointless needs pick, besides, at the time we were locking up Soler, and Jackson and Szczur still looked salvageable (Szczur is starting to get back to that point, BJax is injured).

I didn't like the Almora pick at all. It didn't surprise me either. Boy Blunder was interviewed, pre-draft, and he stated that pitching would be proiority. Well it really wasn't.

I don't know how many hard-ons were at full mast when they drafted Pierced Johnson. Some are still rubbing one off to this day.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I didn't like the Almora pick at all. It didn't surprise me either. Boy Blunder was interviewed, pre-draft, and he stated that pitching would be proiority. Well it really wasn't.

I don't know how many hard-ons were at full mast when they drafted Pierced Johnson. Some are still rubbing one off to this day.

Why do you keep calling him Pierced?

And most talent evaluators rank Almora pretty high, he's a legit talent, not a Hayden Simpson. You're in the minority of people who don't like Almora, well except your CBS board you brought over, but you all seem to be in line with each other's thoughts anyway, so it isn't a surprise.

And we only took one position player in the first what? 7-10 rounds? Pitching didn't take a back seat.

:fap:

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Why do you keep calling him Pierced?

And most talent evaluators rank Almora pretty high, he's a legit talent, not a Hayden Simpson. You're in the minority of people who don't like Almora, well except your CBS board you brought over, but you all seem to be in line with each other's thoughts anyway, so it isn't a surprise.

And we only took one position player in the first what? 7-10 rounds? Pitching didn't take a back seat.

:fap:

J.

I'm sure Boy Blunder drafted him for his pierced johnson. Now if we can keep him from throwing the ball high into the backstop, in the minors, we may have something here.

At least I haven't read about him throwing the ball into the stands regularly, on pick-offs attempts to first base and literally falling off the pitching mound, like the millionaire Germhole Contraception was doing.

I could give a shit about the minor league players, until I can see what they do at the ML level. You know......The level that really matters.:fap:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I'm sure Boy Blunder drafted him for his pierced johnson. Now if we can keep him from throwing the ball high into the backstop, in the minors, we may have something here.

At least I haven't read about him throwing the ball into the stands regularly, on pick-offs attempts to first base and literally falling off the pitching mound, like the millionaire Germhole Contraception was doing.

I could give a shit about the minor league players, until I can see what they do at the ML level. You know......The level that really matters.

But if you don't have a quality crop of prospects, then every single position needs to be filled out-of-house, which isn't a great problem to have.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
well except your CBS board you brought over, but you all seem to be in line with each other's thoughts anyway, so it isn't a surprise.

Unfortunately. You don't know all of us yet. We have been in heated discussions with each other on more than one instance.

Most of us get along but it's not a requirement by any means. If I post something off base they'll let me know.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
But if you don't have a quality crop of prospects, then every single position needs to be filled out-of-house, which isn't a great problem to have.

All I stated is that prospects mean very little to NOTHING, that's why I really don't give a shit, until I see that they can perform at the ML level. Until then it's merely smoke, mirrors, and hope.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
All I stated is that prospects mean very little to NOTHING, that's why I really don't give a shit, until I see that they can perform at the ML level. Until then it's merely smoke, mirrors, and hope.

But is it not bettering your chances of them performing at the MLB level if you collect several talented prospects?

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Really?

#2 Almora
#4 Jackson
#10 Szczur
#12 Jae-Hoon Ha
#19 Martin

All are CF projections.....That is just in the top 20.

LH SP always has higher needs. But that was just silly.

Fact is if Castro is still pumping out 30 errors per and Baez gets up Castro could have moved to CF.

It was a low priority need. This is just a Theo's boy thing.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Really?

#2 Almora
#4 Jackson
#10 Szczur
#12 Jae-Hoon Ha
#19 Martin

All are CF projections.....That is just in the top 20.

LH SP always has higher needs. But that was just silly.

Fact is if Castro is still pumping out 30 errors per and Baez gets up Castro could have moved to CF.

It was a low priority need. This is just a Theo's boy thing.

YOU DO NOT DRAFT TO NEED!!!! This isn't the NBA! And most the players you listed are mere depth, you are talking top 20 in the organization here, and where the hell did you find rankings that have Jackson ahead of Vizcaino and Szczur in the top 10? Unbelievable.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
YOU DO NOT DRAFT TO NEED!!!!

But you do need to draft the best player available.

Mark Appel.

And please save everyone the stupidity of even trying to claim that Almora is a better prospect.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
But you do need to draft the best player available.

Mark Appel.

And please save everyone the stupidity of even trying to claim that Almora is a better prospect.

And we weren't going to be able to sign Appel without forfeiting future picks

CSF77

Liked Posts:
YOU DO NOT DRAFT TO NEED!!!! This isn't the NBA! And most the players you listed are mere depth, you are talking top 20 in the organization here, and where the hell did you find rankings that have Jackson ahead of Vizcaino and Szczur in the top 10? Unbelievable.

MLB.com

on top of that:

CF Depth:
AAA: B. Jaxx
AA: Szczur and Ha
A+ DeVoss
A: Martin

Right now 3 of the 4 levels have top 20 CF prospects via Mayo. You don't like him that is fine.

Callis put Kyuji Fujikawa as a top 10...last I checked he is on the MLB roster.... Arismendy Alcantara #10...right. Jeimer Candelario #8...ok. His range is limited at 3B.

All I can say after the top 3 every list is grasping at straws.

But what this team needs is pitching. up and down the system it lacks impact arms.

secondary system need is power at the corners and catching.

SS is loaded CF is loaded. Shoot in 5 years think of it...Baez and Castro at SS with no proven 3B. No impact bat at LF. CF with Szczur, Jaxx and Almora under control...great.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
MLB.com

on top of that:

CF Depth:
AAA: B. Jaxx
AA: Szczur and Ha
A+ DeVoss
A: Martin

Right now 3 of the 4 levels have top 20 CF prospects via Mayo. You don't like him that is fine.

Callis put Kyuji Fujikawa as a top 10...last I checked he is on the MLB roster.... Arismendy Alcantara #10...right. Jeimer Candelario #8...ok. His range is limited at 3B.

All I can say after the top 3 every list is grasping at straws.

But what this team needs is pitching. up and down the system it lacks impact arms.

secondary system need is power at the corners and catching.

SS is loaded CF is loaded. Shoot in 5 years think of it...Baez and Castro at SS with no proven 3B. No impact bat at LF. CF with Szczur, Jaxx and Almora under control...great.

You are talking about DEPTH here, basically so-so prospects piled up at one position. Almora is a lot more than depth right now.

Fujikawa? Ya, because you know, you are a prospect until you've played x amount of games in the majors, and this was made in the off-season. Alcantara? One of the biggest breakout candidates in the system. Candelario? One of the emerging prospects in the system. Not grasping at straws there at all.

Ya, such a bad problem that Szczur (bench), Jackson (there's your LF right there if he can ever put any form of career together, and Almora (one of the best prospects in baseball, center) would all be under control.

YOU DO NOT DRAFT TO NEED anyway, for your needs multiple years from now when they debut may be very different than what they are now. You take the best available player, which sure, was Appel, but if you don't think you can sign him (seemingly a good call if he turned down $6M from Houston before the draft), then you have a tough decision to make, and the Cubs viewed Almora as the next best available.