2013 MLB Draft Thread: Cubs with #2 pick

CSF77

Liked Posts:
IDK on the mileage issue still. You have to factor in the player also. The whole pitch count in recent history has made pitchers soft in the modern era. Still I would rather stick with a guy that can take on the work load vs a guy that throws so hard that it promotes injury. Reguardless; if they take Appel with the #2 we could expected him in Sept for a look and 2014 on a IP limit but a part of the rotation. Vs Grey who IMO would be another Cashner project with high upside but years away and may never make it.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel pretty confident in saying that if Appel drops to 2 the Cubs will absolutely not pass him up. In my opinion, I would be ecstatic if the Astros passed on him. Gray may have gained steam, but Appel is clearly ahead of him.

patg006

Liked Posts:
If Appel is there, it has to be him. Behind him I'm split on Gray and Manea. With Gray I do see some Kerry Wood; but with Manea I see alot of Chris Sale (and thats not just because they have the same 3/4 pitching arm style.) I'd prefer Manea because he's left handed with 3 plust pitches in his 4 seam, curve and slider while his 2 seam and change up need work.

Appel is the #1 pick of last year if he didnt put his price tag out of reach; hes just as good if not better this year in college.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Callis listed Appel and Gray as the "clear" top two with a huge dropoff behind them, think I'd still prefer Appel #1 though but would be statisfied with either (benefit of a #2 pick).

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I am just so thankful the Cubs passed on Appel at #6 last year only to maybe draft him at #2 this year.

I am also thankful for another 100 loss season this year which will result in a top 5 pick next year.

I mean this strategy hasn't work for many, many small market teams for the past several decades but it is guaranteed to work for the Cubs because the might Epstein is in charge. I mean it worked out so great when the Cubs hired Andy McPhail back in the 90's.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Appel or Gray, whatever the Cubs are gaurantee to get one of them. Even the Cubs can't screw this one up...

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Rather have the guy that is closer.
We need one too but staring pitching is what wins championships. Besides I wouldnt take a closer with the #2 overall pick. You can find closers elsewhere finding a ace picther is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Cubs dont have a ace.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
We need one too but staring pitching is what wins championships. Besides I wouldnt take a closer with the #2 overall pick. You can find closers elsewhere finding a ace picther is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Cubs dont have a ace.

closer=ready to be in the bigs not ready to pitch the 9th

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Appel or Gray, whatever the Cubs are gaurantee to get one of them. Even the Cubs can't screw this one up...

Yeah, it'll be on of those. Houston could pass on Appel and go with Gray. Appel is throwing a lot of pitches this season and teams may be afraid his arm will fall off. Also, it's Houston so you never know. I think Appel will be ready by 2015 and Gray by 2016.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dont speak too soon......we thought the same of Dan Haren for Marmol......Demp for Delgado.

:fap::fap:

The Demp for Delgado was all on Demp. And who knows, maye Villanueva will be good. He hasn't looked bad and Delgado has looked bad for Triple A.

patg006

Liked Posts:
The Demp for Delgado was all on Demp. And who knows, maye Villanueva will be good. He hasn't looked bad and Delgado has looked bad for Triple A.

It wasnt all on Demp; Demp didnt know it happened until a million cameras were in his face asking him about his thoughts on being traded; and even then he looked clueless. First thing Epstein should have done was; oh, I dont know pick up the phone/go to the locker room and say: "hey Ryan, theres a trade on the table that would send you to Atlanta; you have x amount o ftime to talk it over with fam and agent before they pull it off the table."

Pierced Johnson had an ERA of 19.57 in A ball after 2 starts. Think hes bound to keep that pace after 2 starts? Neither do I...but Delgado will keep his bad pace, right?

Slurp slurp :fap: some more to revisionist history......

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Appel is throwing a lot of pitches this season and teams may be afraid his arm will fall off.

Great thing it was so smart to pass on Appel last year at the #6 spot where his innings and pitches could have been managed this year.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
It wasnt all on Demp; Demp didnt know it happened until a million cameras were in his face asking him about his thoughts on being traded; and even then he looked clueless. First thing Epstein should have done was; oh, I dont know pick up the phone/go to the locker room and say: "hey Ryan, theres a trade on the table that would send you to Atlanta; you have x amount o ftime to talk it over with fam and agent before they pull it off the table."
Exactly. Even with the trade supposedly being leaked or whatever excuse fits the slurpers agenda, there was ample opportunity for the team to treat Dempster in a professional and respectable manner and inform him of the deal.

But probably the next excuse will be that is unreasonable because Theo didn't have Dempster's number.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Great thing it was so smart to pass on Appel last year at the #6 spot where his innings and pitches could have been managed this year.

That was all on signability, and apparently those concerns were pretty legitimate since he ended up not signing with Pittsburgh just a few picks later. Then it becomes a matter of would you rather have Almora at 6 last year and Appel at 2 this year or would you rather have missed Almora last year, got Appel this year, and then somebody else with the #7 pick (as compensation).

I don't see why you are looking back at the past to make a big deal about taking Appel now, it's all relative.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
That was all on signability, and apparently those concerns were pretty legitimate since he ended up not signing with Pittsburgh just a few picks later. Then it becomes a matter of would you rather have Almora at 6 last year and Appel at 2 this year or would you rather have missed Almora last year, got Appel this year, and then somebody else with the #7 pick (as compensation).

I don't see why you are looking back at the past to make a big deal about taking Appel now, it's all relative.

They Cubs had like an extra $1.5M on draft budget than the Pirates had. it is not unreasonable to think that might have made the difference in the 'sign-ability issue'

The point raised about taking Appel now was the amount of pitches he has been throwing at Stanford this year, something that is completely out of the team's control.

So instead of him being in the Cubs organization where his pitch count and innings could be closely monitored and he would have a season of professional baseball against hitters using wooden bats under his belt.

He is averaging almost 8IP a game. He has already thrown 70 IP's and the team still has 20 regular season games, plus the regionals and possible super regionals and College World Series.

So he probably still has another 6-9 starts to make. So that could be anywhere from 120-140 IP's before the draft in June. Which means he probably wouldn't throw more than 10-30 IP's as a pro if any at all. They might just shut him down the rest of the year.

Appel was the best player available when the team picked at #6 and they passed on him. I had an issue with it at the time and I still have an issue with it.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Appel was the best player available when the team picked at #6 and they passed on him. I had an issue with it at the time and I still have an issue with it.

Bingo. This kid should have been taken 1 overall, but the Astros were afraid to bit, and so were 6 other teams before the Pirates. He flat out was the most dominant pitcher and has top of rotation pitcher all over him. Instead we get some kid who got compared to Ryan Braun because the guy sitting next to Peter Gammons on MLB network ran out of comparisons. This kid was on the cubs laps and they screwed it up.

I wont worry about Appel's high innings until he's 33 and cant throw 96+ on his fastball anymore. And now, I wont be surprised when Austin Meadows, another OF is the pick at #2 because Epstein decides to screw this up again.....

Franko725

Liked Posts:

The Cubs were obviously fairly certain that they were not going to be able to sign him last year. Along with the others that passed on him. Why waste a pick on someone that you are not going to be able to sign? This year is completely different in terms of his bargaining power. Since he only has one more year of college eligibility, it is now or never for him to get the best deal that he can. Next year, a club would be able to low ball him with a take it or leave it offer.

It won't really matter who they take for some of you guys though...since the owners are terrible, and management is terrible, and the coaches are terrible, and the team is terrible (and I am not saying that this team isn't!). No matter what they do, it will not be good enough.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
The Cubs were obviously fairly certain that they were not going to be able to sign him last year.

Or the Cubs obviously were fairly certain that they were unwilling to sign him last year.

It won't really matter who they take for some of you guys though...since the owners are terrible, and management is terrible, and the coaches are terrible, and the team is terrible (and I am not saying that this team isn't!). No matter what they do, it will not be good enough.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what part of losing 100 games last year and well on there way to losing 100 games this year should be considered good enough?

Some of us guys do not accept throwing away seasons to do the same things that most others teams are doing while putting their full resources into trying to field a competitive major league team.

This is what every smart fan should want.

Some are content slurping up whatever con job and PR campaign is thrown their way.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Or the Cubs obviously were fairly certain that they were unwilling to sign him last year.

It won't really matter who they take for some of you guys though...since the owners are terrible, and management is terrible, and the coaches are terrible, and the team is terrible (and I am not saying that this team isn't!). No matter what they do, it will not be good enough.

Exactly what part of losing 100 games last year and well on there way to losing 100 games this year should be considered good enough?

Some of us guys do not accept throwing away seasons to do the same things that most others teams are doing while putting their full resources into trying to field a competitive major league team.

This is what every smart fan should want.

Some are content slurping up whatever con job and PR campaign is thrown their way.

So not taking Appel last year is part of throwing away several seasons? K.