2013 MLB Draft Thread: Cubs with #2 pick

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
And we weren't going to be able to sign Appel without forfeiting future picks

That is just not even remotely close to the truth, pure agenda at play.

Please stick with facts and realism.

Would have had less money for the rest of the picks?

Sure.

But seeing as the 8th and 9th round picks signed for 10k each, that doesn't seem like it would be a major impact.

Is there a good chance any of those picks outside of Johnson makes it to the majors? No.

So exactly what was lost? Not much.

What was gained? The best available player.

I am sorry this is far too complicated for you to understand.

Franko725

Liked Posts:
This is not fantasy baseball. Under the new rules of the draft spending, you cannot merely draft the best player available. You have to draft the best player available that you can sign. If you are not able to sign the guy, it is a wasted pick. Go ahead, talk about my agenda some more, it is the only argument you have.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
This is not fantasy baseball. Under the new rules of the draft spending, you cannot merely draft the best player available. You have to draft the best player available that you can sign. If you are not able to sign the guy, it is a wasted pick. Go ahead, talk about my agenda some more, it is the only argument you have.

This is spot on.

That being said, the Cubs are in the drivers seat at 2. They will have the money to sign one of the two pitchers, both of whom are top prospects.

Creme

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

There is no facts that the Cubs could not have signed Appel if they wanted to.

None what so ever.

Maybe he turned down $6 million from Houston because he didn't want to play for the Astros. He wouldn't be the first player in the history of sports to not want to play for a certain franchise.

But it fits the agenda that had the Cubs drafted him there would be a 0% chance of signing him.

This has nothing to do with the new rules of draft spending. You always had to draft the best player available that you can sign.

I have shown the math were they COULD have offered him the same $6 million Houston did and perhaps even more. But that doesn't fit into your agenda of apologizing for all things Theo

patg006

Liked Posts:

None what so ever.

Maybe he turned down $6 million from Houston because he didn't want to play for the Astros. He wouldn't be the first player in the history of sports to not want to play for a certain franchise.

But it fits the agenda that had the Cubs drafted him there would be a 0% chance of signing him.

This has nothing to do with the new rules of draft spending. You always had to draft the best player available that you can sign.

I have shown the math were they COULD have offered him the same $6 million Houston did and perhaps even more. But that doesn't fit into your agenda of apologizing for all things Theo

Spot on.

Except it was Pittsburgh, not Houston. Some theo slurper will nitpick semantics to shy away from a point he cant prove

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Spot on.

Except it was Pittsburgh, not Houston. Some theo slurper will nitpick semantics to shy away from a point he cant prove

Well guess I will nitpick you and go against the impression that we are all some pack that thinks alike and would never disagree with each other.

Pittsburgh I don't think ever offered him $6 million or even had $6 million available to offer him.

The Astros did offer him $6 million pre draft which he turned down and is why they drafted Correa

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Well guess I will nitpick you and go against the impression that we are all some pack that thinks alike and would never disagree with each other.

Pittsburgh I don't think ever offered him $6 million or even had $6 million available to offer him.

The Astros did offer him $6 million pre draft which he turned down and is why they drafted Correa

They didn't. Rumors have it they didn't even contact Boras (Boras stated) While the Pirates owner said they offered him 4.8.

patg006

Liked Posts:
They didn't. Rumors have it they didn't even contact Boras (Boras stated) While the Pirates owner said they offered him 4.8.

"Rumors have it" and an agent did a job for his client......

All we need to know.

Next

KBIB

Liked Posts:
"Rumors have it" and an agent did a job for his client......

All we need to know.

Next
By not even talking to Pittsburgh for his client?

(scratches head)

Creme

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
By not even talking to Pittsburgh for his client?

(scratches head)

Creme

So because Boras said that they never talked to him you take that as the gospel truth???

Funny how it was reported by numerous sources that Appel TURNED DOWN a $3.8 million offer from the Pirates.

I am not the smartest guy in the world, but how do you turn down something that was never supposedly given to you in the first place?? To make an offer, don't you have to make contact with the person so they know there is something to turn down??

Secondly, Appel was never Scott Boras' client. Boras was simply an adviser to Appel. Teams are under no obligations to contact Boras to negotiate with Appel and may have even felt that doing so could possibly do damage to Appel's eligibility.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

The Pirates had a budget of 6.5 million. They could have offered him that 6 million, and then not pick a serious prospect for the rest of the draft as you have suggested (except for Pierce Johnson). The Pirates choose not to do that when they picked him.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
The Pirates had a budget of 6.5 million. They could have offered him that 6 million, and then not pick a serious prospect for the rest of the draft as you have suggested (except for Pierce Johnson). The Pirates choose not to do that when they picked him.

They'd have to split 1/2 Mill between all of their remaining Top Top ten picks, and he didn't accept 6 Million from Houston, so it would likely take more. And then if you fail to sign ANY of those remaining picks on the cheap, you lose that pick's slot money completely from the budget.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

None what so ever.

Okay, so if he turned down the 6 Mill just because he didn't want to play for Houston, don't you think the SIX teams between them and Pittsburgh would have found this out too and one of them would have taken the bait before that? It isn't like the Cubs were the only team that passed on him, and as a college junior, he didn't have the pressure to sign a deal either.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Okay, so if he turned down the 6 Mill just because he didn't want to play for Houston, don't you think the SIX teams between them and Pittsburgh would have found this out too and one of them would have taken the bait before that? It isn't like the Cubs were the only team that passed on him, and as a college junior, he didn't have the pressure to sign a deal either.

I could care less about Pittsburgh.

As usual you are in such a rush to bunch up your diaper and argue that you lose site of the point.

There were only four teams between Houston and the Cubs and two of those teams, Kansas City and Baltimore had LESS money to spend.

That left two teams with more money to spend than the Cubs, Minnesota and Seattle.

The Twins had spent six of their last 8 first round picks on pitching and Byron Buxton was widely regarded as the top position player prospect in the draft. They signed him for $6 million. It was very close on who was the most talented player in the draft, Buxton or Appel.

The Mariners already had two top pitching prospects in Hultzen and Walker as well as some guy named Kiing Felix in their major league rotation.

The Mariners finished 27th in runs scored last year and that follows years of ranking 30th (the last season before the draft), 30th, 28th, and 26th in runs scored. Zunino was considered the most major league ready hitting prospect in the draft and they have a major need at catcher since Montero is not good enough defensively.

So when it came to the Cubs pick, not only was Appel the best player available, he also fit probably the teams biggest weakness in the organization. Lack of pitching.

Baseball America's 2013 top 10 Cubs prospects only lists 3 pitchers. One of them Fujikawa is in the majors, one of the others, Vizcaino, was still in Atlanta's organization and the last one was drafted in the second round last year. So at the time of last years draft, NONE of the Cubs current pitching prospects in their top 10 were in the organization.

So please continue on about how passing up the best available player at the organizations biggest weakness was the smart thing to do.

Franko725

Liked Posts:

Pretty sure that all teams contact prospective draft picks agents to see what they are willing to sign for before the draft. It would not make sense not to. You would have to assume that people with as much experience as those in the Cubs front office would have done their due diligence to determine if they were going to be able to sign a guy as talented as Appel. I have no "facts" to prove this, but KB has none that prove it to be otherwise.

KB constantly talks about making the team better, and addressing a need. I will state again, you CANNOT make your team better by wasting a first round draft pick on someone that you are not going to be able to sign. Considering that the front office has way more knowledge on how to run a major league baseball team than any of us do, you have to figure that they had done the leg work and knew what number it was going to take to sign Appel. Of course, KB is such a baseball genius, that he should be running the Cubs. I mean, Theo and Co. have two WS rings...so I am sure that some guy that has time to post all day long on a forum like this must be capable of winning a lot more than that.

Of course, like I stated before, and which he so fittingly proved for me, he will just say that I have an agenda.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Considering that the front office has way more knowledge on how to run a major league baseball team than any of us do, you have to figure that they had done the leg work and knew what number it was going to take to sign Appel.

And on what planet does a player or agent tell the team the exact number it will take to sign them??

I mean, really??

If your boneheaded and ignorant theory were true, then Pittsburgh contacted Appel, knew what number it would take to sign him, knew they couldn't sign him for that and went ahead and drafted him anyway??

I mean, really??

You don't have an agenda this time, you are just being stupid.

Do you even think before you start posting?

Franko725

Liked Posts:
And on what planet does a player or agent tell the team the exact number it will take to sign them??

I mean, really??

If your boneheaded and ignorant theory were true, then Pittsburgh contacted Appel, knew what number it would take to sign him, knew they couldn't sign him for that and went ahead and drafted him anyway??

I mean, really??

You don't have an agenda this time, you are just being stupid.

Do you even think before you start posting?

Yes, I do. I think "Wow, I cannot wait to see what the genius will say next!"

And you never fail to amaze me.

Obviously, you and your butt buddies think that you will be able to bully a lot of us around here. Just like you claim to have done with the guy over on the CBS boards. Guess what my friend, I am not going anywhere. I will continue to call you out on your irrational bullshit every chance I get.

Back to the previous point though. I am fairly confident that they contacted Boras. Boras being the egotistical ass that he is, likely threw out a huge number, just like he always does. Am I saying that whatever that number was, they could not have signed him for less? No, I am not. However, do you risk wasting your FIRST ROUND PICK if you are not confident that you can sign the guy? No, you do not. This team has way to many holes in way to many places not to make sure that you get something out of that pick.

On a side note, your employer, as assuredly someone that is such a genius as you are must have a high paying job, must be thrilled with how much time out of your day you spend posting on a sports forum.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Yes, I do. I think "Wow, I cannot wait to see what the genius will say next!"

And you never fail to amaze me.

Obviously, you and your butt buddies think that you will be able to bully a lot of us around here. Just like you claim to have done with the guy over on the CBS boards. Guess what my friend, I am not going anywhere. I will continue to call you out on your irrational bullshit every chance I get.

Back to the previous point though. I am fairly confident that they contacted Boras. Boras being the egotistical ass that he is, likely threw out a huge number, just like he always does. Am I saying that whatever that number was, they could not have signed him for less? No, I am not. However, do you risk wasting your FIRST ROUND PICK if you are not confident that you can sign the guy? No, you do not. This team has way to many holes in way to many places not to make sure that you get something out of that pick.

On a side note, your employer, as assuredly someone that is such a genius as you are must have a high paying job, must be thrilled with how much time out of your day you spend posting on a sports forum.

So basically you have no response to how stupid it would be for a player or agent to tell the team exactly what it would take to sign them before drafting them?

Or how Pittsburgh knew exactly how much it would take to sign Appel, knew they couldn't sign him but drafted him anyways?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
So basically you have no response to how stupid it would be for a player or agent to tell the team exactly what it would take to sign them before drafting them?

Or how Pittsburgh knew exactly how much it would take to sign Appel, knew they couldn't sign him but drafted him anyways?

He never said "exactly", but if the starting point is way too high that there is a large risk you wouldn't be able to sign him, you don't do it. And Appel and Boras wouldn't be motivated to give in since Appel could do just what he did and enter the draft again a year later after finishing his last year of college, they had all the leverage.