2020 Rumor Mill

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
KoekKoek has 7 points and is a +3 in a similar number of games.

How is TVR better?

He's just better. Hard to grade the situations their teams put them in, but as a defensive defenseman who gets more responsibility in Carolina it doesn't surprise me.

I feel like I have seen them both play enough to make the call. TVR is better to me, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Granada

Liked Posts:
He's just better. Hard to grade the situations their teams put them in, but as a defensive defenseman who gets more responsibility in Carolina it doesn't surprise me.

I feel like I have seen them both play enough to make the call. TVR is better to me, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Agree -- TVR is stronger defensively than Koekkoek, and Guss for that matter.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agree -- TVR is stronger defensively than Koekkoek, and Guss for that matter.
Gustafsson at least has a skill set that is worth a roster spot.

The only thing TVR has going for him is that Quenneville chose him over Kempny.

But yeah...the eye test

Granada

Liked Posts:
Gustafsson at least has a skill set that is worth a roster spot.

The only thing TVR has going for him is that Quenneville chose him over Kempny.

But yeah...the eye test

Gus is a shit-show defensively, and yes, you need to watch the games to see that. You can't just scan a stat sheet on nhl.com.

And anyways, he'd still have a spot. Koekkoek wouldn't. Seabrook and de Haan are out for the year.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I honestly can't believe what I'm reading in here. You people are actually hoping that Bowman buys at the deadline. For what? Maybe the last playoff slot....really? For the future of this team, this is a most important time and it requires having the stones to tell your fanbase that they are dumping players, taking on expiring contracts and looking to the future. Who gives a flying fuck if KooKoo or TVR is the better player? Hopefully, they'll both be gone in another few months anyway. Enough of the fucking fill in players who are two steps from retirement. Stock up on draft picks while the getting is good.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Gus is a shit-show defensively, and yes, you need to watch the games to see that. You can't just scan a stat sheet on nhl.com.

And anyways, he'd still have a spot. Koekkoek wouldn't. Seabrook and de Haan are out for the year.
The difference between TVR and Koekkoek isn't enough to matter.

The Blackhawks are not a #7 defenseman away from making the playoffs.

They should be looking for a top 3 on an expiring deal if they want to do something.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I honestly can't believe what I'm reading in here. You people are actually hoping that Bowman buys at the deadline. For what? Maybe the last playoff slot....really? For the future of this team, this is a most important time and it requires having the stones to tell your fanbase that they are dumping players, taking on expiring contracts and looking to the future. Who gives a flying fuck if KooKoo or TVR is the better player? Hopefully, they'll both be gone in another few months anyway. Enough of the fucking fill in players who are two steps from retirement. Stock up on draft picks while the getting is good.
I do not want them to buy, unless they are getting a bloated, expiring deal and a nice pick or prospect.

Trade everyone...No one is untouchable.

Granada

Liked Posts:

I don't necessarily care -- I'm not going to tear Bowman a new one if he stands pat this year -- but I won't fault him if he actually does something at the deadline, depending on if the cost is minimal.

If the Hawks somehow make the playoffs this year, that alone would be a success in my view, and I'd welcome it even if the Hawks go out early. I understand wanting a full-on rebuild, but personally, I want to see what Kane can do in the post-season -- especially while we can.

Simmonds and TVR are expiring contracts. If either would cost a 3rd or 4th round pick, that wouldn't affect a rebuild; and you wouldn't have to sign them once this season is over.

Granada

Liked Posts:
The difference between TVR and Koekkoek isn't enough to matter.

The Blackhawks are not a #7 defenseman away from making the playoffs.

They should be looking for a top 3 on an expiring deal if they want to do something.

I'd be fine with a top 3, but you're not getting a top 3 at the deadline.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't necessarily care -- I'm not going to tear Bowman a new one if he stands pat this year -- but I won't fault him if he actually does something at the deadline, depending on if the cost is minimal.

If the Hawks somehow make the playoffs this year, that alone would be a success in my view, and I'd welcome it even if the Hawks go out early. I understand wanting a full-on rebuild, but personally, I want to see what Kane can do in the post-season -- especially while we can.

Simmonds and TVR are expiring contracts. If either would cost a 3rd or 4th round pick, that wouldn't affect a rebuild; and you wouldn't have to sign them once this season is over.

Even if they are better than what we have, it's not enough to make any difference, so why give up draft picks?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

That Cap space they have can really be a game changer. I don't even care who they get. If it's an expiring contract and someone is willing to pony up draft picks to move it....I'll take it. Frolik, Simmonds, TVR....Probert's headstone. If it moves a draft pick here, bring it!

Granada

Liked Posts:
Even if they are better than what we have, it's not enough to make any difference, so why give up draft picks?

Because it's low risk, high reward. Is it really going to matter that much if we give up a 3rd or 4th round draft pick?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Because it's low risk, high reward. Is it really going to matter that much if we give up a 3rd or 4th round draft pick?

Why are the Hawks giving up any draft picks?

Granada

Liked Posts:
Why are the Hawks giving up any draft picks?

For a shot at the playoffs this year.

I mean, you'll still have an entire off-season if you're Bowman to trade veteran players and acquire more draft picks that way anyways.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For a shot at the playoffs this year.

I mean, you'll still have an entire off-season if you're Bowman to trade veteran players and acquire more draft picks that way anyways.

Ok, I see what you're saying. But that's not where I'm going here.

Here's an example....Canes are capped out and need some wiggle room to make a deadline trade for a playoff run. The Hawks have cap space available....they say we'll take an expiring contract off your hands giving you some cap space plus toss in some useless player in our system...in return you also send us a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

The Hawks have about 11 mill in space, they could do this a few times. Now you might say, ok but all you end up with is a bunch middle to upper middle picks. That would be correct. But those picks come in pretty handy if a guy you like is just out of your drafting range and you want to move up to get him. Plus there are a lot of good NHL players that are not Top 10 picks. In the hands of a good GM.....it could speed up a rebuild substantially.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
On a rebuilding team, yes it matters.
If you’re giving up ANY picks, it has to be enough to matter.

What about TVR’s career that you’ve so closely watched gives you hope of high rewards?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
On a rebuilding team, yes it matters.
If you’re giving up ANY picks, it has to be enough to matter.

What about TVR’s career that you’ve so closely watched gives you hope of high rewards?

you don't get it.

THEY give US picks to take TVR.
He upgrades KooKoo for a long shot playoff run to boot.
There is no long term high reward.
Its a short term minor reward and a mid to late pick for taking his cap hit.

Koo Koo will be gone after this season anyway to make room for Beaudin and mitchell as you mentioned, maybe Gilbert too. They can take Koo Koo back if they want in the trade and then help add a fwd to what they think is a cup run in Carolina.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some love for Puckjim...

you might be right about KooKoo.

From secondcity hockey..

"Chicago stumbled upon a great depth defensive pairing in Slater Koekkoek and Olli Maatta, who have put up a 55-percent Corsi For and 58.76-percent expected goal share, and have been the team’s statistically best pairing with more than 30 minutes of five-on-five time."

Last edited: