I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
@knoxville7 you could yawn all you want but pretending like any of the bulls players could be the best player on a championship team is laughable. They need a major shakeup. Anyone who disagrees doesn’t understand what it takes to be elite in the nba
It was more a yawn as opposed to point out the flaw in your statement, and start a long drawn out thread hijack. I figured the yawn response would avoid that and save time

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Def need a shakeup, IMO. Zach and Vuc have never been that dude to carry a team or effect the win column. Demar has had some success but he’s never been looked at as a superstar player. In this league, you need franchise rare caliber guys. Top 5-10 type of players….bulls don’t have that. Their “big 3” is simply underwhelming
This is all true, but it's extraordinarily difficult to get a top 10 player on your team. So we can say shake it up or blow it up all we like, that's been true the entire time. I wish it was as simple as trading the entire roster away for Nikola Jokic or something, but it doesn't work like that. As it is, I don't see any realistic move AKME can make this offseason to bring anyone of that caliber onto the team. No one was calling this team a contender coming into the season. There's been obvious gaps and holes on this roster that have been there from the start. Recall some projections had this team still finishing under .500.

More than personnel, I'd start pointing fingers at things like the defensive scheme and the overall team's inconsistency from 3 as things that can and are realistically able to be improved upon in some fashion for next season. Coaching wise I think BD needs to improve on his end just as much as the roster needs to improve.

On the bright side, it's good to see PWill making an impact last couple games. Didn't change the outcome at all, but at least better than him just being a warm body out there.

DirtyDutchDiggler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. LA Galaxy
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Miami Dolphins
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Miami Hurricanes
Def need a shakeup, IMO. Zach and Vuc have never been that dude to carry a team or effect the win column. Demar has had some success but he’s never been looked at as a superstar player. In this league, you need franchise rare caliber guys. Top 5-10 type of players….bulls don’t have that. Their “big 3” is simply underwhelming
Neither does Miami. Giannis had to work himself into one. Embiid hasn't won anything. Jokic could become MVP again and he has not gone anywhere. The list goes on. Talent wise, I put Zach on the level with Harden. Biggest difference is that Zach wants to win and works to try and play defense at times. None of these players can carry the team for a long stretch and that is what has been asked of them for most of this season. Bulls looked great to start the season when all of them were healthy because everyone did there part and it worked. Take one cog out of the machine and it doesn't run. That is what happens when a team doesn't have that "Guy". I am not saying when Lonzo gets back everything will be okay, but I would hope to see the machine at least start to run like it did at the beginning of the season.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
This is all true, but it's extraordinarily difficult to get a top 10 player on your team. So we can say shake it up or blow it up all we like, that's been true the entire time. I wish it was as simple as trading the entire roster away for Nikola Jokic or something, but it doesn't work like that. As it is, I don't see any realistic move AKME can make this offseason to bring anyone of that caliber onto the team. No one was calling this team a contender coming into the season. There's been obvious gaps and holes on this roster that have been there from the start. Recall some projections had this team still finishing under .500.

More than personnel, I'd start pointing fingers at things like the defensive scheme and the overall team's inconsistency from 3 as things that can and are realistically able to be improved upon in some fashion for next season. Coaching wise I think BD needs to improve on his end just as much as the roster needs to improve.

On the bright side, it's good to see PWill making an impact last couple games. Didn't change the outcome at all, but at least better than him just being a warm body out there.
Good points and very true. The thing is though, until/unless the bulls acquire that type of top 10 dude, our expectations should be that the bulls could only hope to be a thorn in teams sides. Especially if the scheme and coaching is going to be suspect. I haven’t seen anything over the past 2 years that makes me think BD is an elite coach. He’s a fine coach….probably average but he’s not upper echelon.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Neither does Miami. Giannis had to work himself into one. Embiid hasn't won anything. Jokic could become MVP again and he has not gone anywhere. The list goes on. Talent wise, I put Zach on the level with Harden. Biggest difference is that Zach wants to win and works to try and play defense at times. None of these players can carry the team for a long stretch and that is what has been asked of them for most of this season. Bulls looked great to start the season when all of them were healthy because everyone did there part and it worked. Take one cog out of the machine and it doesn't run. That is what happens when a team doesn't have that "Guy". I am not saying when Lonzo gets back everything will be okay, but I would hope to see the machine at least start to run like it did at the beginning of the season.
How many championships has this heat team won?

Bucks won a championship with Giannis.

Philly is a very good team with embiid and a much better team than the bulls despite perhaps not having as deep a team for most of the year. It’ll be interesting to see how they perform in the playoffs.

I just think it’s simple….throughout history, the team that wins the championship has a legit top player on their roster…and usually at least 2 elite players….are Demar, Zach, or Vuc that type of legit and best player on a championship team? No way….the bulls have two paths…try to finagle their roster and acquire another very good/all-star type of player without sacrificing the core and hope they could advance a further round….or…..they need to make a major shakeup and try to acquire a legit cornerstone player. That is not easy to do and most likely won’t present itself….but if they can’t pull it off this team will not take any real steps forward

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
How many championships has this heat team won?

Bucks won a championship with Giannis.

Philly is a very good team with embiid and a much better team than the bulls despite perhaps not having as deep a team for most of the year. It’ll be interesting to see how they perform in the playoffs.

I just think it’s simple….throughout history, the team that wins the championship has a legit top player on their roster…and usually at least 2 elite players….are Demar, Zach, or Vuc that type of legit and best player on a championship team? No way….the bulls have two paths…try to finagle their roster and acquire another very good/all-star type of player without sacrificing the core and hope they could advance a further round….or…..they need to make a major shakeup and try to acquire a legit cornerstone player. That is not easy to do and most likely won’t present itself….but if they can’t pull it off this team will not take any real steps forward
Zach Lavine is very much your 2nd option on any championship caliber team. DeMar is too. At best, DeMar/Lavine are comparable to Tatum/Brown, though most people would rather have Tatum/Brown than DeMar/Lavine.. plus DeMar is getting old. Short of Tatum really taking another leap, Boston is never going to win a championship with that team, a team clearly better rounded than the Bulls currently are.

And you're right.. 9/10 teams, the team with the top players win championships. More often than not, it's clear top 5 player in the NBA.

Obviously the Bulls probably aren't getting that any time soon, short of a disgruntled player coming onto the market who actively wants to be traded to Chicago. But, do we see that happening any time soon?

The draft is your typical way to acquire such superstars, but that can also be just a crapshoot. Of players I call superstars at the moment, their draft pick numbers are #1, #2, #3, #3, #7, #15, #15, #41 overall in their respective drafts. There is a #2 and #5 overall pick on the horizon of joining this list soon. The three players drafted #15 and #41 took multiple years of development to get to their current places.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Good points and very true. The thing is though, until/unless the bulls acquire that type of top 10 dude, our expectations should be that the bulls could only hope to be a thorn in teams sides. Especially if the scheme and coaching is going to be suspect. I haven’t seen anything over the past 2 years that makes me think BD is an elite coach. He’s a fine coach….probably average but he’s not upper echelon.
I've never really viewed BD is a great coach. I was kinda suspect of him even being hired, though kept it mostly to myself due to wanting to give him a chance. I think he can be a positive to a good young team, but he's not a championship winner and sans the year he had Durant/Westbrook (in which the team blew a 3-1 lead in the WCF), he was a 1st round loser every other seasons in OKC. 1st round loser is what this year is shaping up to be too.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I've never really viewed BD is a great coach. I was kinda suspect of him even being hired, though kept it mostly to myself due to wanting to give him a chance. I think he can be a positive to a good young team, but he's not a championship winner and sans the year he had Durant/Westbrook (in which the team blew a 3-1 lead in the WCF), he was a 1st round loser every other seasons in OKC. 1st round loser is what this year is shaping up to be too.
I think we were all just happy to move on from boylen and BD is a big name.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think we were all just happy to move on from boylen and BD is a big name.
Absolutely.. it was great to move on from everything past regime.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I completely agree. This is why my expectations have never been that this team would win the title, at best getting to the 2nd round. Their actual performance isn't too far off, though how they're getting there is quite the roller coaster.

Like Scoot I had some doubts about BD as coach, but he's definitely better than the previous few coaches we've had. Offline I had said that BD would be a guy that could get this team from non playoffs to playoffs, but that's about it. Perhaps I give him even too much credit for that as it's mostly the roster turnover that's getting us there more than anything BD is doing.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I completely agree. This is why my expectations have never been that this team would win the title, at best getting to the 2nd round. Their actual performance isn't too far off, though how they're getting there is quite the roller coaster.

Like Scoot I had some doubts about BD as coach, but he's definitely better than the previous few coaches we've had. Offline I had said that BD would be a guy that could get this team from non playoffs to playoffs, but that's about it. Perhaps I give him even too much credit for that as it's mostly the roster turnover that's getting us there more than anything BD is doing.
Well, you needed the roster turnover to even get this team to the playoffs.

Bulls may have made the playoffs last year if not for key injuries throughout the season.

Enasic

Liked Posts:

A team with Vuc, LaVine and DeRozan should not be getting blown out as often as they have been. The fact that they only have like 1 or 2 quality wins is a major concern and red flag.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, you needed the roster turnover to even get this team to the playoffs.

Bulls may have made the playoffs last year if not for key injuries throughout the season.
That is true. We weren't getting anywhere with Denzel Valentine and Wendell Carter Jr.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Zach Lavine is very much your 2nd option on any championship caliber team. DeMar is too. At best, DeMar/Lavine are comparable to Tatum/Brown, though most people would rather have Tatum/Brown than DeMar/Lavine.. plus DeMar is getting old. Short of Tatum really taking another leap, Boston is never going to win a championship with that team, a team clearly better rounded than the Bulls currently are.

And you're right.. 9/10 teams, the team with the top players win championships. More often than not, it's clear top 5 player in the NBA.

Obviously the Bulls probably aren't getting that any time soon, short of a disgruntled player coming onto the market who actively wants to be traded to Chicago. But, do we see that happening any time soon?

The draft is your typical way to acquire such superstars, but that can also be just a crapshoot. Of players I call superstars at the moment, their draft pick numbers are #1, #2, #3, #3, #7, #15, #15, #41 overall in their respective drafts. There is a #2 and #5 overall pick on the horizon of joining this list soon. The three players drafted #15 and #41 took multiple years of development to get to their current places.
And if the bulls were to acquire a top 5 player somehow, I imagine ZL would be gone along with other guys. Then you’re stuck with an AD type situation where you have a top 5 player, but a shitty team

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And if the bulls were to acquire a top 5 player somehow, I imagine ZL would be gone along with other guys. Then you’re stuck with an AD type situation where you have a top 5 player, but a shitty team
Yeah, but in theory then it's easier to build around that guy. You'll probably have a lot more cap space to attract players in FA and then you also have higher draft picks to potentially get another good player that way. It could fall completely flat of course and we waste that talent, but it's easier to think about building an elite team once the talent is already here. Right now we're trying to figure out how to be the 04 Pistons.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Yeah, but in theory then it's easier to build around that guy. You'll probably have a lot more cap space to attract players in FA and then you also have higher draft picks to potentially get another good player that way. It could fall completely flat of course and we waste that talent, but it's easier to think about building an elite team once the talent is already here. Right now we're trying to figure out how to be the 04 Pistons.
my opinion is you just keep trying to add to this roster. Odds of attaining a top 5 guy are slim to none anyways. So, you either add to this current roster or you blow it all up. Considering AKME is in year 1 of this roster, I’m going to go ahead and assume they will look to add to it also, as opposed to blowing it up

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
my opinion is you just keep trying to add to this roster. Odds of attaining a top 5 guy are slim to none anyways. So, you either add to this current roster or you blow it all up. Considering AKME is in year 1 of this roster, I’m going to go ahead and assume they will look to add to it also, as opposed to blowing it up
In practice I agree. You just try to improve what you got and make the best of it. Realistically the value on the team is you can move Vuc's expiring contract and hope to get someone with potential that will be better than him, or you trade Zach/Demar for a young stud on a team that's looking to win now (technically next year). I don't really see either of those options happening in a way that pans out. More likely we shuffle the bench players around and plug in holes like PF.

However, for those who are superstar or bust people, you either have to continuously blow it up (trust the process anyone?) or hope that you can build enough value in your current team to then ship away for a top 10 player or whatever. But to build value it helps to perform in a way that produces wins which sort of sabotages your draft pick potential.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
In practice I agree. You just try to improve what you got and make the best of it. Realistically the value on the team is you can move Vuc's expiring contract and hope to get someone with potential that will be better than him, or you trade Zach/Demar for a young stud on a team that's looking to win now (technically next year). I don't really see either of those options happening in a way that pans out. More likely we shuffle the bench players around and plug in holes like PF.

However, for those who are superstar or bust people, you either have to continuously blow it up (trust the process anyone?) or hope that you can build enough value in your current team to then ship away for a top 10 player or whatever. But to build value it helps to perform in a way that produces wins which sort of sabotages your draft pick potential.
100% agreed

its more likely the bulls run it back and hope guys stay healthy, while hopefully adding some outside shooting to the roster. Im sure some guys will be gone, but it won’t be any of the “core” guys…ZL, DD, Vuc, Lonzo, PWill will all be back next year.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

So, as you know me, I'm a superstar or bust in terms of winning a title, but at the same point, I like some team success now and again. After years of lottery picks, it's gets really tiresome to watch bad teams, and if you don't hit on your picks, you're just stuck in that loop forever. So, for this season, I was all for making this team a playoff team again, even if I knew they weren't going to win it all. Of course at this point I feel like the season will end as a bit of disappointment after being at the top of the East for a portion of the season, but still it's making the playoffs vs not (this is assuming they don't end up falling to 7th and getting knocked out in the play-in-game.

Given it's unlikely a guy like Vuc is going to be traded for someone better than him, I'm okay with keeping him, unless that deal comes along. I'd like to fill out the rest of our roster, get taller, and get players who will shoot more threes.

We can also have hope that Patrick Williams develops in some way, and Ayo continues to develop and gain confidence in his abilities.

Coby White, I'm all for finding someone who might give us something for him. What that is? No idea. I don't imagine he'll return much at all.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I’m hoping that AKs connection with Joker comes into play. Although unlikely, If jokic does not want to re-up with Denver, the bulls could say Hey….before you lose Jokic for nothing, take Vuc, DeMar, and some 1st rounders. Although, they may want Lonzo or LaVine instead of DeMar based on age.