2021 Cubs trade deadline thread

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I agree about the elite over the middling but if he's patient....there will be probably a few contending teams that will lose an important game because of a closer that fails to close. And if it's been happening off and on all season, Kimbrell might reel in that top prospect on his own. I've been saying this for weeks....I think Kimbrell is their biggest trade chip.
Kimbrel can make a team a World Series favorite. He absolutely has a lot of value at this trade deadline.

And contrary to what someone here seems to think, all of the other players didn’t lose all of their value in the trade market over a seven day stretch or a 14 day stretch.

That’s ridiculous.

Not only that but Baez is actually playing well not poorly over the last month or so.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I'm so sick of Bryant being injured weekly. Please move him and don't even reach out to boras about resigning him
Guy plays every position on the field, is a good OBP with power, and is an excellent base runner.
Let’s trash him and pretend he sucks on his way out the door because the team is being careful prior to the deadline.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Not exactly true....up to this point he's proven that he's pretty good at riding Theo's coattails. And he's hard at work at proving that he's overmatched as a GM.
There is no record on which to judge Dredd at this point. Anything that happened in the prior off season was due to Ricketts’ stupid cheap ass getting involved.

I don’t hold that against Jed. He is trying to swim with his hands tied.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Guy plays every position on the field, is a good OBP with power, and is an excellent base runner.
Let’s trash him and pretend he sucks on his way out the door because the team is being careful prior to the deadline.
I agree with all that. I've never been a big fan and I don't really have any legitimate reason why

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There is no record on which to judge Dredd at this point. Anything that happened in the prior off season was due to Ricketts’ stupid cheap ass getting involved.

I don’t hold that against Jed. He is trying to swim with his hands tied.
In 8 months on the job, name one thing he has done that shows he is a creative GM. A bad trade and a bunch of dumpster diving is all I've seen. Hey, if Im wrong....I'm wrong. But he hasn't shown me a damn thing yet.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
How did Jed let the bears get a trade in before him this week?!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Kimbrel can make a team a World Series favorite. He absolutely has a lot of value at this trade deadline.

And contrary to what someone here seems to think, all of the other players didn’t lose all of their value in the trade market over a seven day stretch or a 14 day stretch.

That’s ridiculous.

Not only that but Baez is actually playing well not poorly over the last month or so.
Baez
2.2 fWAR
109 wRC+

BABIP .330
2 big issues going on.
1: SO% 36.5%
2: BB% 4.3%

When he makes contact he is above average. The problem is Strike outs. That is the heel to this team.

Wisdom 40.8%
Baez: 36.5%
Marisnick 29.9%
Alcantara 29.5%
Happ 28.6%
Contreras 26.9%
Pederson 25.8%
Ortega 25%
Bryant 24.1%
Heyward 21.1% (His BABIP sucks .240 which most likely lies in the shift.)
Duffy 17.3%
Rizzo 15.8% Again another shift issue BABIP .241
Hoerner 12% with a 9% Walk rate and a BABIP .311

The fact that David has not lead off with Hoerner and making Rizzo the 2 hitter is beyond me.

If there is a core sickness to this team it is the above. This is the worst type of out. It takes fielding out of the equation.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
In 8 months on the job, name one thing he has done that shows he is a creative GM. A bad trade and a bunch of dumpster diving is all I've seen. Hey, if Im wrong....I'm wrong. But he hasn't shown me a damn thing yet.

First of all he is not a GM. He is a team President of operations. He doesn't have a GM yet. As far as bringing people in? Well ya this year has been a bit of a hand cuff but that goes for everyone. He did put together a strong pen. That has never happened before.

On personal movement. I don't like that he has stalled on Davis. He should be in Iowa right now. AA pitching is not giving him a challenge any more. Good part. He is stretching out Justin Steel. He is up to 4 inning per after 2 games at 3 innings. .98 WHIP and a 1.74 ERA so far. I've always been interested on how he would turn out as a starter. So the process I like how Jed handled it. Got him a taste in the pen and now getting him ready for a larger role.

It is a bit of a mixed bag but there does seem to be a plan in effect. Someone is going to have to be bumped after Aug 1. Jake returns and Steel will most likely finish up the year in the rotation. Davies may end up trades and Williams let go. Mills might get sent in a package due to his 4+ years of control. With spin rates going down teams are going to start looking for pitchers vs hard throwers again. Mills could become attractive in this market.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You can yawn if you want. Jed's main short coming in trades was valuing his players too much and asking more than teams were willing to give up. That has been his MO sense day one. The Darvish deal was a payroll dump. He got a arm back and some prospects and dumped payroll.

So as a GM meh. He needs to hire one that is solid at swinging deals. As a Ops leader. He has been decent. That job goes further than just trades. It covers everything. Seeing how they are at 4 players in the top 100. A solid pen. A solid pitching development system. I could go on but he was part of the creation and now it is his baby.

I feel the biggest problem was Theo held the deck. If he started earlier in trading out players when their value was higher the system would have been in better shape.

Regardless Jed has been fine. He is waiting for the right offer. If teams don't want to give up talent greater than what Jed gets as a OQ pick then he should just let them play out and hit them with a QO.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You can wake me the first time your brother Jed makes any kind of a creative, intelligent transaction.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
You can yawn if you want. Jed's main short coming in trades was valuing his players too much and asking more than teams were willing to give up. That has been his MO sense day one. The Darvish deal was a payroll dump. He got a arm back and some prospects and dumped payroll.

So as a GM meh. He needs to hire one that is solid at swinging deals. As a Ops leader. He has been decent. That job goes further than just trades. It covers everything. Seeing how they are at 4 players in the top 100. A solid pen. A solid pitching development system. I could go on but he was part of the creation and now it is his baby.

I feel the biggest problem was Theo held the deck. If he started earlier in trading out players when their value was higher the system would have been in better shape.

Regardless Jed has been fine. He is waiting for the right offer. If teams don't want to give up talent greater than what Jed gets as a OQ pick then he should just let them play out and hit them with a QO.
* Since

I’ll learn you the difference between since and sense one day…as long as you have enough sense

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You can wake me the first time your brother Jed makes any kind of a creative, intelligent transaction.

Well looking at the schedule today. Jed had Justin Steel slot on Zach Davies day. So again he is showing his intentions. Their next day will be the 29th. Zach had a solid game last time so it would make sense to trade on a high note vs risking a clunker.

That is the most obvious decision that I can see right now. Most scouts are in on pitching at the moment.

The market on Bryant on the other hand who knows. My guess is teams are targeting Gallo and are waiting to see if Boras does a extension or does Texas sell. Gallo comes with a year of control so his value is higher than a 2 month rental. When that settles I see Bryant's market opening up.

Rizzo and Baez I'm expecting both to be lame ducks. I expect both hit with Q.O.'s. All I have heard on them is both are low value right now and a team lacks control going in. If both were around a 130 wRC+ then they would be highly sought after.

My opinion is tire kicking with low ball offers and Jed decides to hold them and gives them a QO. If they take it it works for 2022. If not 2 extra draft picks work too.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Bryzzo with homeruns to try and show people they are healthy and ready to be traded

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Solid pick up of prospects for pirates. Marcano being the big get as the #5 prospect in the Padres system. And suwinski has a .950+ OPS in double A right now. Miliano is just a throw in basically

got those guys for Adam Frazier who’s having a career year. One that he’s never come close to before. Pirates doing the right thing to sell high on that guy

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Sounding like Kimbrel to the Padres

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not sure what Preller has left. He just sent 3 over to the Bucs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They sent over Marcano #5.

Other two are off the top 30.

I would assume the top 4 are off the table. But I would love to see Abrams even if it cost KB and Kimbrel. CJ is a 60 grade SS that hits left. AA ball. He is a dynamic shifting talent.