2021 Cubs trade deadline thread

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
They sent over Marcano #5.

Other two are off the top 30.

I would assume the top 4 are off the table. But I would love to see Abrams even if it cost KB and Kimbrel. CJ is a 60 grade SS that hits left. AA ball. He is a dynamic shifting talent.
I hope they separate them. Sounds like NYM are willing to part with top guys for kb. I'd expect Kimbrel to have more value than what Frazier got in return too

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I hope they separate them. Sounds like NYM are willing to part with top guys for kb. I'd expect Kimbrel to have more value than what Frazier got in return too

Depends on what you are getting in return.

If there was a deal I would expect Preller sending contract back to push the deal.

Frazier goes to 2B. Cronenworth to 1B. That puts Hosmer out of a job.

Now if we are talking a mega deal. Kimbrel, Davies and Bryant.

Padres send over Hosmer to eat payroll. That point target CJ. Even if Jed has to take on Meyers also. Bryant moves to RF. This opens up Rizzo to be traded next.

But looking at the Padres system right now. The top 4 are 50 and above. The rest are 45 and below. If you are not getting a prize it is better to deal elsewhere. We know that Gore is untouchable. CJ is behind the league MVP and 2B is now talented. Preller might be better off dropping future contract and locking up Bryant with the savings.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Pirates added money for better prospects

it was 1.4 million. How much better of prospects do you think that got them?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Cubs send Kimbrel to SD for Hosmer and top prospects.
This seems to be an ideal fit for both teams.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ya just read it. In not up on the tax loophole that the CBA might bring up. But if it plays like the NBA then all of a sudden trading expiring deals becomes one of the biggest industry changes.

Immagine having 3 expiring deals that you really dont need to get out of a tax hit. You trade those deals to a team over tax for a guy that gives them that tax break and they have to add prospects to fuel the deal.

It could be a huge change to how July functions going forward.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

According to Martino, the Mets “intend to check in” with the Nationals about ace Max Scherzer, though such a trade would be a tough pill to swallow for the Nats. Twins righty Jose Berrios is not a Mets target at this time, says Martino, in fitting with his point that New York prefers rentals so as not to deplete their farm system.

They are more on pitching and dont want to kill the farm.

They are looking less and less a match up.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:

According to Martino, the Mets “intend to check in” with the Nationals about ace Max Scherzer, though such a trade would be a tough pill to swallow for the Nats. Twins righty Jose Berrios is not a Mets target at this time, says Martino, in fitting with his point that New York prefers rentals so as not to deplete their farm system.

They are more on pitching and dont want to kill the farm.

They are looking less and less a match up.
Sounds like them trying to create leverage. Their offense is trash and needs help

TL1961

Liked Posts:
In 8 months on the job, name one thing he has done that shows he is a creative GM. A bad trade and a bunch of dumpster diving is all I've seen. Hey, if Im wrong....I'm wrong. But he hasn't shown me a damn thing yet.
That was exactly my point. He hasn’t shown a thing yet.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Depends on what you are getting in return.

If there was a deal I would expect Preller sending contract back to push the deal.

Frazier goes to 2B. Cronenworth to 1B. That puts Hosmer out of a job.

Now if we are talking a mega deal. Kimbrel, Davies and Bryant.

Padres send over Hosmer to eat payroll. That point target CJ. Even if Jed has to take on Meyers also. Bryant moves to RF. This opens up Rizzo to be traded next.

But looking at the Padres system right now. The top 4 are 50 and above. The rest are 45 and below. If you are not getting a prize it is better to deal elsewhere. We know that Gore is untouchable. CJ is behind the league MVP and 2B is now talented. Preller might be better off dropping future contract and locking up Bryant with the savings.
The worst way for the Cubs to get value in return is to package several guys in one trade. I think everyone has said the same thing except you

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The worst wait for the Cubs to get value in return is to package several guys in one trade. I think everyone has said the same thing except you

The only guy that can pull a top 100 talent by himself is Kimbrel.

this is also a factor that teams are looking at. And why Preller is looking to sell Hosmer:

It’s unclear what the next collective bargaining agreement will look like, but the current one has a base tax threshold of $210MM for 2021. As a potential first-time payor, the 20% tax on the overage seems like it should be a very mild deterrent. For example, a team spending $225MM would incur a $3MM penalty. So going over the base tax threshold in 2021 shouldn’t necessarily be a big concern, especially if the thresholds go up significantly in the next CBA. One reason to attempt to avoid becoming a tax payor, at least in the current CBA: a CBT payor signing a free agent who turned down a qualifying offer forfeits its second and fifth-highest available draft picks and has its international bonus pool reduced by $1MM – as opposed to losing their second-highest pick and $500K of the international pool if they’re not a payor. In other words, if the Padres exceed $210MM this year and the current draft pick compensation rules remain in place, then the club will face a slightly worse penalty if they sign a major free agent who turned down a qualifying offer.

Although Rosenthal adds that the team could conceivably increase their CBT figure “for the right acquisition,” they seem to also be considering the alternate route of ducking back beneath the line by season’s end. Moving Hosmer’s deal, with its $18MM AAV, would get the team below the line and potentially leave room for further additions. Since the team seemingly needs to pick a side and commit to it, “it could help explain why Preller continues to discuss a seemingly endless array of scenarios — including potential trades involving Hosmer,” according to Rosenthal.

There’s no indication that any deal is imminent, nor are any trading partners mentioned. But the appeal of acquiring Hosmer wouldn’t be so much about Hosmer himself. “The Padres likely would have to attach significant prospect value” to trade Hosmer, says Rosenthal. So, any team acquiring Hosmer would need to have enough payroll space to pay him, but with an eye towards the future production the prospects would provide. Speculatively speaking, the Cubs could be a fit. They’ve seemingly already started a sell-off, trading Joc Pederson to Atlanta earlier this month. First baseman and impending free agent Anthony Rizzo seems destined to be traded, unless the team can work out an extension. Javier Baez and Kris Bryant are also coming off the books at year’s end, or even sooner, creating more payroll space.