2021 Cubs trade deadline thread

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only guy that can pull a top 100 talent by himself is Kimbrel.

this is also a factor that teams are looking at. And why Preller is looking to sell Hosmer:

It’s unclear what the next collective bargaining agreement will look like, but the current one has a base tax threshold of $210MM for 2021. As a potential first-time payor, the 20% tax on the overage seems like it should be a very mild deterrent. For example, a team spending $225MM would incur a $3MM penalty. So going over the base tax threshold in 2021 shouldn’t necessarily be a big concern, especially if the thresholds go up significantly in the next CBA. One reason to attempt to avoid becoming a tax payor, at least in the current CBA: a CBT payor signing a free agent who turned down a qualifying offer forfeits its second and fifth-highest available draft picks and has its international bonus pool reduced by $1MM – as opposed to losing their second-highest pick and $500K of the international pool if they’re not a payor. In other words, if the Padres exceed $210MM this year and the current draft pick compensation rules remain in place, then the club will face a slightly worse penalty if they sign a major free agent who turned down a qualifying offer.

Although Rosenthal adds that the team could conceivably increase their CBT figure “for the right acquisition,” they seem to also be considering the alternate route of ducking back beneath the line by season’s end. Moving Hosmer’s deal, with its $18MM AAV, would get the team below the line and potentially leave room for further additions. Since the team seemingly needs to pick a side and commit to it, “it could help explain why Preller continues to discuss a seemingly endless array of scenarios — including potential trades involving Hosmer,” according to Rosenthal.

There’s no indication that any deal is imminent, nor are any trading partners mentioned. But the appeal of acquiring Hosmer wouldn’t be so much about Hosmer himself. “The Padres likely would have to attach significant prospect value” to trade Hosmer, says Rosenthal. So, any team acquiring Hosmer would need to have enough payroll space to pay him, but with an eye towards the future production the prospects would provide. Speculatively speaking, the Cubs could be a fit. They’ve seemingly already started a sell-off, trading Joc Pederson to Atlanta earlier this month. First baseman and impending free agent Anthony Rizzo seems destined to be traded, unless the team can work out an extension. Javier Baez and Kris Bryant are also coming off the books at year’s end, or even sooner, creating more payroll space.

The Hosmer contract is almost as bad as the Heyward contract. The Padres would have to attach him to some significant prospects to get rid of him.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The only guy that can pull a top 100 talent by himself is Kimbrel.

this is also a factor that teams are looking at. And why Preller is looking to sell Hosmer:

It’s unclear what the next collective bargaining agreement will look like, but the current one has a base tax threshold of $210MM for 2021. As a potential first-time payor, the 20% tax on the overage seems like it should be a very mild deterrent. For example, a team spending $225MM would incur a $3MM penalty. So going over the base tax threshold in 2021 shouldn’t necessarily be a big concern, especially if the thresholds go up significantly in the next CBA. One reason to attempt to avoid becoming a tax payor, at least in the current CBA: a CBT payor signing a free agent who turned down a qualifying offer forfeits its second and fifth-highest available draft picks and has its international bonus pool reduced by $1MM – as opposed to losing their second-highest pick and $500K of the international pool if they’re not a payor. In other words, if the Padres exceed $210MM this year and the current draft pick compensation rules remain in place, then the club will face a slightly worse penalty if they sign a major free agent who turned down a qualifying offer.

Although Rosenthal adds that the team could conceivably increase their CBT figure “for the right acquisition,” they seem to also be considering the alternate route of ducking back beneath the line by season’s end. Moving Hosmer’s deal, with its $18MM AAV, would get the team below the line and potentially leave room for further additions. Since the team seemingly needs to pick a side and commit to it, “it could help explain why Preller continues to discuss a seemingly endless array of scenarios — including potential trades involving Hosmer,” according to Rosenthal.

There’s no indication that any deal is imminent, nor are any trading partners mentioned. But the appeal of acquiring Hosmer wouldn’t be so much about Hosmer himself. “The Padres likely would have to attach significant prospect value” to trade Hosmer, says Rosenthal. So, any team acquiring Hosmer would need to have enough payroll space to pay him, but with an eye towards the future production the prospects would provide. Speculatively speaking, the Cubs could be a fit. They’ve seemingly already started a sell-off, trading Joc Pederson to Atlanta earlier this month. First baseman and impending free agent Anthony Rizzo seems destined to be traded, unless the team can work out an extension. Javier Baez and Kris Bryant are also coming off the books at year’s end, or even sooner, creating more payroll space.
You don't believe Bryant, or Rizzo or Baez would bring a Top 100 prospect?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I wonder what they were offering before his awful appearance in front of the scouts Saturday

right?! Guy was untradeable after that last appearance I thought?!

kid seems like it’s time for the majors to see if he’s going to make it or not. He’s 26. It’s time to sink or swim.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Let’s see. Lefty reliever that is just a rental yields a top 10 prospect from the A’s system plus another prospect. Me thinks KB can yield a top 5 prospect from a teams system +

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Let’s see. Lefty reliever that is just a rental yields a top 10 prospect from the A’s system plus another prospect. Me thinks KB can yield a top 5 prospect from a teams system +
I have to agree. I’m pleased with getting a top 10 spec for Chafin. Makes me peek my head out of the cave to see what we can get for some of our other trade chips.