Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Beal is older, cost more, and had a no trade clause. This shouldn't set the market and even if it did the rest of the league can eat it. We shouldn't see having an elite scorer in the prime of his career as such a drag.

I think Zach is back next year though no doubt.

Exactly. This trade will have little to no impact on other trades.
With the no trade clause, Beal could dictate where he wanted to go. Surely, Washington received better offers than what PHX offered. But if Beal said he wanted to go to PHX, they really had no choice.

This is why NBA teams fight against the NTC so much. Kills the trade value.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That being said.... I did not see PHX at all. It really seemed like Miami was the frontrunner to land Beal. I guess he really wanted to play with Booker and KD.

My prediction: Suns don't get past the 2nd round.

As of right now, I can't see how they round out their roster. They have 0 depth. My guess is they'll flip Ayton for a couple role players that don't look to score... They'll need a QB for that offense and someone to do the dirty work. If they can get that somehow, they may make some noise. But as of right now... I'm not really that scared of the Suns, if I'm a contender in the West.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In reality, with regard to Zach, we'll most likely never know how much impact it had on his value because he's staying put

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Short of the Bulls getting an amazing offer for Zach, I don't see them trading him.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
A buddy of mine here in Memphis that is a Grizz fan mentioned seeing a rumor of Kennard, Clarke, lofton, and draft picks for demar

I told him the bulls would literally cream themselves if the Grizz offered that and that the Grizz should def not do that trade

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Interesting. I think LA would win this trade. Big upgrade at PG.

Porzingis is definitely a need for Boston... But I wonder what the fit would be like. Also, it appears that he struggled playing alongside Luka, and not being the "main guy" or whatever. At best, he's the 3rd option in Boston. Wonder if his ego will be okay with it.

It's a fire sale for the Wizards, so they obviously get worse with this deal. But they don't care 'cause they want picks.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Interesting. I think LA would win this trade. Big upgrade at PG.

Porzingis is definitely a need for Boston... But I wonder what the fit would be like. Also, it appears that he struggled playing alongside Luka, and not being the "main guy" or whatever. At best, he's the 3rd option in Boston. Wonder if his ego will be okay with it.

It's a fire sale for the Wizards, so they obviously get worse with this deal. But they don't care 'cause they want picks.
I'd agree with pretty much everything you say here. Brogdon is a tough player and I think he'll fit in well with that lineup. Plus I'm guessing there's going to be a lot of happy people getting Marcus Morris out of there. As for KP, eh, not sure he's going to end up staying in Boston - but good lord the fall that guy has taken.

Washington's new president (or GM - not sure the title) came from the Clippers, so I'd guess those two franchises will be helping each other out in the short term.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Portland’s #3 pick is the most intriguing pick heading into the draft

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Boston gets Porzingis and 2 first round picks from Memphis
Memphis gets Marcus Smart
Washington gets Tyrus Jones, Gallinari, and Muscala, plus a 2nd round pick.

Wow! Honestly, Boston made a good move in keeping Brogdon and getting rid of Smart. Smart is way too eratic and inconsistent on offense. Sure, his defense is pretty good, but... meh. I was never too high on him.

Not sure how much better this makes Memphis. They needed more perimeter shooting. Smart is not that.

I wonder if this means CP3 to LAC now.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Wow! Honestly, Boston made a good move in keeping Brogdon and getting rid of Smart. Smart is way too eratic and inconsistent on offense. Sure, his defense is pretty good, but... meh. I was never too high on him.

Not sure how much better this makes Memphis. They needed more perimeter shooting. Smart is not that.

Losing smart will hurt the Celtics some, but they do have white and Brogdon to lower the blow there. Adding porzingis will be interesting for them

In regards to smart and Memphis. The plan is to play him at PG while Morant is suspended. Then, once Morant is back, smart slides into Dillon brooks old spot as the 3 that guards the other teams best player.

Smart is certainly an upgrade over brooks in literally every aspect of the game, so it’s a solid trade for Memphis. Even in the area of 3 point shooting, as brooks was atrocious and smart is at least someone you have to respect at the 3 point line at 34%. Memphis will just need to find another PG now that Jones has been traded.

Smart will also bring veteran leadership from a guy who has played in a lot of big games. Something the roster was really lacking. And again, it’s night and day difference between brooks and smart here

A lineup of Morant, Bane, Smart, Jackson, and Adams is really good.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Smart is an upgrade over Brooks in all aspects other than he's shorter, and can play PG while Morant is suspended (Though as Knox said, I imagine they find someone else). I don't view him as a game changer, but definitely keeps Memphis from slipping at all defensively as they let Brooks go.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To me the more shocking thing is that Memphis gave up 2 1sts for Marcus Smart...and Tyus Jones, effectively. Smart is a huge upgrade over Brooks imo, but they gave up a lot for him. Those 1sts will be late 1sts probably, so sure they're not that bad to trade away, but I feel like losing Jones is gonna hurt long term.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
To me the more shocking thing is that Memphis gave up 2 1sts for Marcus Smart...and Tyus Jones, effectively. Smart is a huge upgrade over Brooks imo, but they gave up a lot for him. Those 1sts will be late 1sts probably, so sure they're not that bad to trade away, but I feel like losing Jones is gonna hurt long term.
One of those firsts is tonight at #25. The other is the Warriors top 4 protected pick in 2024. So unless the aging Warriors all die of season ending injuries next year, probably a pick in the 20s.

#1 complaint I've read on Jones is he disappears in the postseason.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One of those firsts is tonight at #25. The other is the Warriors top 4 protected pick in 2024. So unless the aging Warriors all die of season ending injuries next year, probably a pick in the 20s.

Right, and of course in fairness as well now Memphis has a DPOY backcourt player to pair a DPOY frontcourt player so their defense is going to be even more insane than it already was. Fit wise, it makes a lot of sense.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Right, and of course in fairness as well now Memphis has a DPOY backcourt player to pair a DPOY frontcourt player so their defense is going to be even more insane than it already was. Fit wise, it makes a lot of sense.
Do think they'll need to find some shooters. Perhaps they find one at 25. And acquire another PG of course.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Not only did Jones disappear in the playoffs, brooks played even worse than he did in the regular season as well

Meanwhile, Smart outplayed his regular season numbers in the playoffs. His experience and veteran presence is such a need on the Memphis roster, as they are no longer worried about making the playoffs, they are wanting to make a real run at things.

And we all know playoff basketball is different than game 47 of an 82 game season lol

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Warriors trade Poole for CP3...wtf