2023 NBA Offseason Thread (Non-Bulls)

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Not only did Jones disappear in the playoffs, brooks played even worse than he did in the regular season as well

Meanwhile, Smart outplayed his regular season numbers in the playoffs. His experience and veteran presence is such a need on the Memphis roster, as they are no longer worried about making the playoffs, they are wanting to make a real run at things.

And we all know playoff basketball is different than game 47 of an 82 game season lol
Any playoff basketball is different than any of games 1-82 of the regular season.

Some players flouish in the regular season then disappear in the playoffs. Not uncommon, just not something you want long term on your team, especially if your ultimate goal is to compete for a title. So Memphis getting rid of him (and not re-signing Brooks) are the right way to go to try and compete.

Of course, Ja Morant has gotta fix his personal problems if Memphis is ever going to truly compete, so we'll see if he can turn his life around.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I hear you guys on Smart being better than Brooks. No argument from me there. Though, they play different positions. Smart isn't exactly big enough to match up against guys like Kawaii, LBJ, Durant, MPJ, Doncic, etc. in the west. Against those teams, it probably wouldn't be wise for Memphis to play Morant, Bane, and Smart at the same time. Against the Warriors? Sure, why not. They play small. But against bigger guys, Smart will likely find himself on the bench, which may cause other issues.

But just in general... Smart's value appears to be more about his leadership and adding value to a team's culture more than it is about his play. I'm not a Celtics fan and only watch the prime time games... and whenever I watched the Celtics, I often caught myself having thoughts like, "Why the fuck does Smart keep taking these dumb ass shots?", "Dude (Smart)! Pass the ball to Tatum or Brown... what the fuck are you doing?", "Look at that.... another flop.", "why have the Celtics continued to extend this guy?"

And I know he won DPOY a year ago... but when watching him, especially this year, idk... for a talent standpoint, I don't see him as an extremely special player. Particularly on the offensive end. I always felt like his poor shot taking and bad decisions in general would cost the Celtics critical games.

Even now that the trade is done.. it seems like everyone is talking about how Smart will help Memphis' locker room, and Celtics fans will miss him because he was the "glue" of the team. Not many are exactly talking about how much the Celtics will miss him on the court or how much better he'll make the Grizzlies.

Some various quotes from Celtics fans, who published articles since the trade:

"...Last season, Smart regressed. Sure, his Defensive Rating was 111.7, over four points higher than it was the year prior, but Smart didn’t necessarily pass the eye test. Many of those hustle plays he’s made a name of himself for were rare last year, and there wasn’t really anything he did better than White. Smart is a serviceable PG, but he was never a true playmaker, and that showed for much of last season. His growth on offense has stunted as well. His inconsistent and sometimes frustrating decisions on offense cost the Celtics many games, especially in crunch-time situation..."

"...While Smart’s game would elevate in the postseason, there was enough inconsistency, especially in crunch time, that cast enough doubt on his fit with Tatum and Brown. The offense found a better flow with Tatum as the lead ballhandler, and players like White showed enough ability to create their own shot..."

"...I watch a ton of Celtics games, and this year I saw two things that had me thinking this current team may have outgrown his leadership. The first was his tendency to take a ton of big shots and waive off Tatum and Brown in key moments, which is hardly new to Celtics fans during the Smart era. He’s an alpha dog, and nothing will ever change that. Last year, I felt like Smart finally accepted that he needed to defer to the two stars, and he had the best season of his career because of it. But this year I saw him take a step backward, always finding the ball when it should probably have been elsewhere..."

And I want to note that in all of those articles, those writers/fans spoke glowingly about Smart's impact in the locker room, hustle, etc.

But they all point out things that can become a real issue for Memphis when Ja comes back. Ja needs the ball in his hands. Smart wants the ball in his hands.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Warriors trade Poole for CP3...wtf

awwww yeah, I #calledit on the Poole trade. Writing was on the wall for him after the season was over.

Very surprised that it was for CP3 though. Didn't see that coming at all.

My guess is that they'll have Steph play the 2 guard position when they're out there together. Which may actually work, and could help keep Steph fresher in the playoffs since he's required to do a lot when he's the main ball handler.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
"...I watch a ton of Celtics games, and this year I saw two things that had me thinking this current team may have outgrown his leadership. The first was his tendency to take a ton of big shots and waive off Tatum and Brown in key moments, which is hardly new to Celtics fans during the Smart era. He’s an alpha dog, and nothing will ever change that. Last year, I felt like Smart finally accepted that he needed to defer to the two stars, and he had the best season of his career because of it. But this year I saw him take a step backward, always finding the ball when it should probably have been elsewhere..."
Maybe Tatum will actually do something in the 4th Q now and look like an actual superstar rather than a passive bystander at the end of games.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
awwww yeah, I #calledit on the Poole trade. Writing was on the wall for him after the season was over.

Very surprised that it was for CP3 though. Didn't see that coming at all.

My guess is that they'll have Steph play the 2 guard position when they're out there together. Which may actually work, and could help keep Steph fresher in the playoffs since he's required to do a lot when he's the main ball handler.
Objectively, on the offensive end having Curry off the ball is just so dangerous, perhaps even more than him being the primary ball handler. With guys like Draymond and CP3 to get him the ball, I won't say that isn't a good thing for him.

But other than that aspect, I am completely baffled by Warriors going for CP3.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Objectively, on the offensive end having Curry off the ball is just so dangerous, perhaps even more than him being the primary ball handler. With guys like Draymond and CP3 to get him the ball, I won't say that isn't a good thing for him.

The NBA All-Senior Team.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe Tatum will actually do something in the 4th Q now and look like an actual superstar rather than a passive bystander at the end of games.

yeah, that's what one of the articles mentioned too. Smart would bring the ball up and refused to pass it, but Tatum seemed okay with it. Smart's dominant, "alpha" personality may have intimidated someone who's on the more meek side, like Tatum. Now with Smart gone, Tatum could feel more comfortable demanding the ball.

I don't see that happening with Morant though. Morant won't just stand by and watch Smart jack up dumb shots... but that could also turn into an issue, if Smart starts to get unhappy.

I think if Smart starts to establish himself as a leader on the team while Morant is out, he may have a hard time stepping aside for Morant when he returns. I mean, he had Tatum and Brown (two guys obviously better than him) in Boston, and he didn't want to defer to them. Maybe he bows to Morant early so there's so conflict... but idk, just seems like an iffy fit to me.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Marcus smart assist % was 26.4%. Hardly a ballhog as some here are making him out to be

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

yeah, it doesn't really move the needle at all. This doesn't exactly propel them to the next level.

The Warriors, as we've known them, are pretty much done.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
yeah, it doesn't really move the needle at all. This doesn't exactly propel them to the next level.

The Warriors, as we've known them, are pretty much done.
Definitely not, and it's really about time the Warriors cease being relevant at this stage in their careers. There's nothing wrong with that either, they had their run of success

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hawks trade John Collins to Utah for Rudy Gay and a 2nd... so they basically just gave him away.

Benefit to the Hawks is that they get a $25.3 million trade exception, which allows them to absorb a large contract without needing the match the salaries.

Makes me think that they're planning a bigger move.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I think it was more about getting out from under that Poole contact. With the new CBA rules having a player like Poole tying up 30m is a killer.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Draymond stays with Golden State on a 4-year, $100 million deal.

Jerami Grant stays with Portland on a 5y/160m deal.

Bruce Brown to Indiana on a 2y/45m deal.

Kuzma stays with the Wizards on a 4y/102m deal.

LeVert stays with the Cavs on a 2y/32m deal.

Looks like this FA won't be super exciting haha

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
FVV to the Rockets 3/130...largest contract by an undrafted player ever or something like that

Schroeder goes to Raptors to replace him

Lakers sign Gabe Vincent and re-sign Rui

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Haliburton got a BAG 52M/year sheesh

Desmond Bane also got himself paid

And Lillard has finally demanded a trade, supposedly Miami is his top preference, makes sense

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
DLo, Rui, Reaves all re-sign with Lakers

Thomas Bryant to the Heat

Strus S&T to the Cavs

Pat Bev to Philly for the vet min

Jaxson Hayes to the Lakers

Taurean Prince to the Lakers

Cam Reddish to the Lakers

Troy Brown Jr to the Timberwolves

Seth Curry to the Mavs

Lamelo Ball signs a max extension with the Hornets

Kevin Love re-signs with the Heat

Josh Richardson signs with the Heat

Yuta Watanabe signs with the Suns

Joe Ingles to the Magic

Tre Jones re-signs with the Spurs

Poeltl re-signs with Toronto

Brook Lopez re-signs with Milwaukee

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Obi Toppin traded to the Pacers for 2 2nds

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
FVV overpaid by like 30M a year and that's being nice.

That Haliburton contract is crazy too wow.

Last edited:
Reactions: BNB

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
FVV overpayed by like 30M a year and that's being nice.

That Haliburton contract is crazy too wow.

Yeah, that FVV contract is insane. Dude shot below 40% from the field last season, is slightly above average from 3 in his career, and doesn't exactly do anything else phenomenally well.

When Toronto gave him 20m/y 3 years ago, I thought that was a lot. He played well enough to give that deal some merit, but I don't think he played well enough to more than double his pay.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
The NBA is bonkers. The CBA and deals given out to ordinary players is just absurd. No wonder the product is getting worse by the year