2024 NFL Draft discussion

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
50 years without a franchise QB and two failed recent 1st rounders. Yet we need a DE after Caleb? Go figure. OL or more weapons should be Poles’ # 1 priority.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
WR, LT, DE. That's where I want to go at #9:

Plan A—if any of Harrison, Nabers, or Odunze fall—take them.
Plan B—if your elite LTs (Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga) are there—take one.
Plan C—If your elite DEs (Turner, Verse) are there—take one.
Plan D—if you feel there is depth at LT enough to trade back 2-4 spots, do it.
Plan E—if you feel there is depth at DE enough to trade back 2-4 more spots, do it.

IDK how many Blue Chip players they have on their boards. If it's 13, we can move back a little.
If it's 20, we can move back farther, or more than once.

Bowers feels like a luxury pick, as much as I love him and think he's elite, I wouldn't hate it.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Not sure why latu is not getting more love as he led the nation in sacks was productive for 2 years and he checked out fine for his medicals at the combine.
Some people are scared off by the neck. Some people dont get excited by a technician with just good but not great size and athleticism. I think most people though just form their opinions based on what they see others say about the player without ever watching a snap and it creates a kind of cycle of negative opinions. I personally think hes going to be Trey Hendrickson after a few seasons if his neck can hold up.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some people are scared off by the neck. Some people dont get excited by a technician with just good but not great size and athleticism. I think most people though just form their opinions based on what they see others say about the player without ever watching a snap and it creates a kind of cycle of negative opinions. I personally think hes going to be Trey Hendrickson after a few seasons if his neck can hold up.
Ya all medical concerns mostly. Vander esch just retired and had neck issues coming in

He will also turn 24 rookie year- same as verse

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Since it seems logical Williams is the pick, screw the defense and load up on offense. First year is so critical for development that you can’t risk it. Bowers at 9 might be the under the radar pick that creates the mismatches that the Chiefs have had with Kelce. All contenders have Pro Bowl level play from the TE position. Kmet is decent but can’t create mismatches. Everett is a stop gap. Go Bowers.
That’s what I’m saying. You don’t have enough to fix both sides this year. And that’s ok, that’s how it goes. So go heavy on either offense or defense. I would say offense but I’m down for whatever.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the Bears will draft a WR at 9...Nabers, Odunze or MHj

I've been running thru scenarios in my head and the Bears have enough draft capital next year to make in season trades....Poles is not afraid of that...They could trade for another edge rusher mid season

If they could avoid paying a 2nd DE a large salary for the next 5 years, I think they'll jump at that opportunity.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If they could avoid paying a 2nd DE a large salary for the next 5 years, I think they'll jump at that opportunity.
Nope. Cheapest way to do it is in draft. Especially in 1st round. 5th year control. By the time Sweat’s deal is done, Bears can hopefully sign their homegrown pass rusher to a new deal.

I’m tired of getting FAs or trades to get DEs. To build a team with cap, you need homegrown players like chiefs with Jones, Hill, or Sneed. If you can’t afford them, trade them for assets

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Verse would be just fine at 9.
Add to that that we get mired in the draftnik talk and the mock drafts that it really creates this false perception in our minds about what will/should happen. Then the draft plays out a lot differently in many respects and people go "WHOA he was taken too high!" or "wow did that guy really slide." It's cause the NFL never saw things as the "draft experts" and the fans did so we're just catching up to reality after having had WAY too much time to mentally masturbate over it.

There's certainly an argument for Verse being the best edge player in the draft. He's probably a better prospect than Tyree Wilson last year who went #7. So being able to take him at #9 is the likely scenario, assuming Atlanta scoops up Turner.

From a maximizing resources standpoint, it'd be a good move from Poles. The top of this draft is stacked with elite offensive talent so he figures to get one of, if not the very best defensive players from it instead of the 3rd best WR or second best OT.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
WR, LT, DE. That's where I want to go at #9:

Plan A—if any of Harrison, Nabers, or Odunze fall—take them.
Plan B—if your elite LTs (Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga) are there—take one.
Plan C—If your elite DEs (Turner, Verse) are there—take one.
Plan D—if you feel there is depth at LT enough to trade back 2-4 spots, do it.
Plan E—if you feel there is depth at DE enough to trade back 2-4 more spots, do it.

IDK how many Blue Chip players they have on their boards. If it's 13, we can move back a little.
If it's 20, we can move back farther, or more than once.

Bowers feels like a luxury pick, as much as I love him and think he's elite, I wouldn't hate it.
You really think Poles is still in the business of a WR? Any one of those guys would be the #3 while we've already got two quality pass-catchers at TE as well. It's be a terrible ROI, at least in year 1, which Poles seems to be setting himself up for with the Keenan Allen move.

Also, there's been talk that Fashanu could fall a bit. Are you really wanting to draft the clear second-best OT in the draft and put one of your better current players in Braxton Jones on the bench because of it?

The most glaring need on this team right now is an edge rusher opposite Sweat and Poles has positioned himself perfectly to (possibly) get himself the pick of that litter. I might be setting myself up for disappointment or maybe Poles is pulling a fast one on all of us, but at this point, it's hard to see him going anything other than Verse/Turner/Latu at #9, and my guess is Verse.

DaBears3434

Liked Posts:
Add to that that we get mired in the draftnik talk and the mock drafts that it really creates this false perception in our minds about what will/should happen. Then the draft plays out a lot differently in many respects and people go "WHOA he was taken too high!" or "wow did that guy really slide." It's cause the NFL never saw things as the "draft experts" and the fans did so we're just catching up to reality after having had WAY too much time to mentally masturbate over it.

There's certainly an argument for Verse being the best edge player in the draft. He's probably a better prospect than Tyree Wilson last year who went #7. So being able to take him at #9 is the likely scenario, assuming Atlanta scoops up Turner.

From a maximizing resources standpoint, it'd be a good move from Poles. The top of this draft is stacked with elite offensive talent so he figures to get one of, if not the very best defensive players from it instead of the 3rd best WR or second best OT.
I almost forgot about Tyree Wilson. Did he have a decent year?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
You really think Poles is still in the business of a WR? Any one of those guys would be the #3 while we've already got two quality pass-catchers at TE as well. It's be a terrible ROI, at least in year 1, which Poles seems to be setting himself up for with the Keenan Allen move.

Also, there's been talk that Fashanu could fall a bit. Are you really wanting to draft the clear second-best OT in the draft and put one of your better current players in Braxton Jones on the bench because of it?

The most glaring need on this team right now is an edge rusher opposite Sweat and Poles has positioned himself perfectly to (possibly) get himself the pick of that litter. I might be setting myself up for disappointment or maybe Poles is pulling a fast one on all of us, but at this point, it's hard to see him going anything other than Verse/Turner/Latu at #9, and my guess is Verse.
I won’t be upset with one of the top two edges.
However, how does the WR room look, if DJ or Allen gets injured? I’m still taking Odunze or Nabers if either is at 9.

The Packers have overloaded Love with young talent at WR and TE. That depth really played out nicely last season because those guys took turns getting hurt.

I want to spoil Williams with “riches.” Poles might still be able to add Clowney, Barnett, or a cut at edge on a one year deal.

If Poles has a choice between Verse and Odunze or Nabers, it’s going to be a great problem to have.

Last edited: