2024 NFL Draft discussion

Neckbeard

Liked Posts:
I don't think you need to fill all the gaps this year....get BPA at 9 if you think there is a difference maker at WR or DE.

You can get some midling dude in FA still or a cast off after the draft

This is what I think. If at 9 one of your top guys on your board is there, then take him. If not, or it's not worth the #9 pick, then trade down and still get your guy.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Not to mention if you take wr at 9 and let Allen walk, you'll likely get a 3rd round comp pick. But they could still extend him and Moore with the rookie qb contract and have a great wr1-3 for 3 years while Williams develops.
Yep, i think people are worried about there not being enough targets to go around for 3 bigtime WR's and with Kmet and Everett and maybe one or two of them aren't too happy about it which is a thing with some WR's. I wouldn't think that would be an issue with either one of Moore or Allen cause both seem to be professionals on and off the filed and as long as we're winning then all should be good.

As you said letting K.Allen go after the year would not only bring a comp pick but would also give us some nice cap space to work with next offseason. I'm a big K.Allen fan so really hope everything works out great with him as a Bear but the age and injury issues have to be looked at with him.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Is Verse not worthy of the 9th pick? Legit question- not being snarky.
He is absolutely worthy.
The chargers and giants have huge needs at wr which makes nabors and odunze very likely picks. Atl needs anybody who can get to the qb and they play a 3-4 D which makes turner a fit given his size, that leaves verse or latu at 9 or trade down. Choosing between them is like choosing nabors odunze . Not sure why latu is not getting more love as he led the nation in sacks was productive for 2 years and he checked out fine for his medicals at the combine.
The issue with Latu is two-fold: the medicals and his perceived ceiling. The medicals are a concern. The other issue is that many GMs want the maximum amount of upside, less finished product, with a draft pick — more potential than actualized.

The perception’s that Latu is an older prospect who has the pass moves already. There’s a chance that, although very, very good, what you see is what you get.
You really think Poles is still in the business of a WR? Any one of those guys would be the #3 while we've already got two quality pass-catchers at TE as well. It's be a terrible ROI, at least in year 1, which Poles seems to be setting himself up for with the Keenan Allen move.

Also, there's been talk that Fashanu could fall a bit. Are you really wanting to draft the clear second-best OT in the draft and put one of your better current players in Braxton Jones on the bench because of it?

The most glaring need on this team right now is an edge rusher opposite Sweat and Poles has positioned himself perfectly to (possibly) get himself the pick of that litter. I might be setting myself up for disappointment or maybe Poles is pulling a fast one on all of us, but at this point, it's hard to see him going anything other than Verse/Turner/Latu at #9, and my guess is Verse.
I absolutely agree that the pick is probably Verse, and I would love it. The conflict is if Alt or Nabers is there. Also, there is no real prototypical X receiver on the roster, so a slight trade back and Brian Thomas, Jr. wouldn’t be crazy.

Last edited:

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I absolutely agree that the pick is probably Verse, and I would love it. The conflict is if Alt or Nabers is there. Also, there is no real prototypical X receiver on the roster, so a slight trade back and Brian Thomas, Jr. wouldn’t be crazy.
I just highly doubt either of those guys are there. And considering DE/Edge is arguably the second most important position on the field, we'd do really well to secure a high-end player there.

And with how deep this draft is at receiver, there's going to be quality guys there for the taking. If the draft is deep at a position, you want to be the one who's taking advantage of the depth moreso than being the one who's getting the cream of the crop. It appears Poles is playing this well from an asset maximization standpoint.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Said this before but there arent a lot of spots for rookies to start so I would not pass up a blue chip prospect for more draft capital. The Bears also have 9 draft picks next year and can make that 10 if Cunningham gets a GM job next offseason. So 2025 is the draft to focus on quantity and depth.

This draft should be about picking the 4 beat players that make immediate contributions. For me that is one of the big 3 WRs at 9 if they are there. Allen has at most 3 years left in him so it would be good to get a WR to learn under him and Moore and to guard against injury to either.

I woukd then go DL at 75 and probably take another WR at 122 as the draft is deep there. There should be chance whatsoever that injuries could result in VJJ or Scott being No 2 or 3 on the depth chart.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Said this before but there arent a lot of spots for rookies to start so I would not pass up a blue chip prospect for more draft capital. The Bears also have 9 draft picks next year and can make that 10 if Cunningham gets a GM job next offseason. So 2025 is the draft to focus on quantity and depth.

This draft should be about picking the 4 beat players that make immediate contributions. For me that is one of the big 3 WRs at 9 if they are there. Allen has at most 3 years left in him so it would be good to get a WR to learn under him and Moore and to guard against injury to either.

I woukd then go DL at 75 and probably take another WR at 122 as the draft is deep there. There should be chance whatsoever that injuries could result in VJJ or Scott being No 2 or 3 on the depth chart.
I'm totally cool if they went Williams and Nabers/Odunze at 1 and 9, respectively. Then, traded down from 75 to the 85-90 range and picked up an additonal 4th/5th. Select a DL with the 3rd like Austin Booker, DeWayne Carter, or Michael Hall Jr. In the 4th, go pick another WR like Malik Washington then take a developmental center like Hunter Nourzad with the pick they would acquire in the trade down

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm totally cool if they went Williams and Nabers/Odunze at 1 and 9, respectively. Then, traded down from 75 to the 85-90 range and picked up an additonal 4th/5th. Select a DL with the 3rd like Austin Booker, DeWayne Carter, or Michael Hall Jr. In the 4th, go pick another WR like Malik Washington then take a developmental center like Hunter Nourzad with the pick they would acquire in the trade down.

Here is the thing. With 9 or 10 picks next year with 4-5 of them in the top 100, is that extra 4th or 5th rounder necessary?

Allen and Jenkins are the only notable free agents so for me I think we defer finding our young center until 2025. That still gives that young center 1 year to learn as we will still have Bates and can likely resign Shelton for cheap.

No biggie if we do end up trading down. I am just saying I dont think it is as imperative as Bears fans make it out to be as most of our core players are locked up this year and next.

Let's target quality this year and use next year to focus on depth and planning to replace older more costly vets which isnt a problem for us until 2026 or so.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I certainly wouldn't be upset with a WR taken, but would rather take a DE. I really don't think a trade down will happen.
I agree and I'd love getting one of those top WRs, but it also feels a bit lopsided to overload at WR with Moore and Allen at this point.

The counter argument is that the Defense has tons of investments already, just not a EDGE.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I'm totally cool if they went Williams and Nabers/Odunze at 1 and 9, respectively. Then, traded down from 75 to the 85-90 range and picked up an additonal 4th/5th. Select a DL with the 3rd like Austin Booker, DeWayne Carter, or Michael Hall Jr. In the 4th, go pick another WR like Malik Washington then take a developmental center like Hunter Nourzad with the pick they would acquire in the trade down
I dont see much chance of hall or Carter making it that far. I think hall is solidly in the 2nd and Carter probably doesn't make it to 75. Obviously nobody knows for sure, but I love both of those players.

oping00@gmail.com

Liked Posts:
It would be something if the Giants took JJ at 6 it would push some prospects down, but they can also trade down.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think you may need to hit a home run on your next DE....a team not going anywhere with a midling DE nearing the end of a contract. Late round pick.

That could be prevented by getting one of them in FA on a one year deal.

Also, I have not looked at who will be available in the draft next year when the Bears have more options.

Only 37 more days until we know for sure. Man I can’t wait!

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
And we improved the WR position with Keenan Allen, made improvements at the Center position, and improved the offense with Caleb Williams. Who is our second DE?
Bring in a stopgap DE just like they did with Keenan.

Wanting to make sure Williams is a success, I would rather draft a WR early and have him learn from 2 professionals and have Williams have all the weapons possible.

What happens if Allen misses some games? Do you really want Velus as WR2?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
WR, LT, DE. That's where I want to go at #9:

Plan A—if any of Harrison, Nabers, or Odunze fall—take them.
Plan B—if your elite LTs (Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga) are there—take one.
Plan C—If your elite DEs (Turner, Verse) are there—take one.
Plan D—if you feel there is depth at LT enough to trade back 2-4 spots, do it.
Plan E—if you feel there is depth at DE enough to trade back 2-4 more spots, do it.

IDK how many Blue Chip players they have on their boards. If it's 13, we can move back a little.
If it's 20, we can move back farther, or more than once.

Bowers feels like a luxury pick, as much as I love him and think he's elite, I wouldn't hate it.
What if a guy within the tier for both B and C are there, who do you take?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
He is absolutely worthy.

The issue with Latu is two-fold: the medicals and his perceived ceiling. The medicals are a concern. The other issue is that many GMs want the maximum amount of upside, less finished product, with a draft pick — more potential than actualized.

The perceptions that Latu is an older prospect who has the pass moves already. There’s a chance that, although very, very good, what you see is what you get.

I like Thomas Jr. a lot.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
You really think Poles is still in the business of a WR? Any one of those guys would be the #3 while we've already got two quality pass-catchers at TE as well. It's be a terrible ROI, at least in year 1, which Poles seems to be setting himself up for with the Keenan Allen move.

Also, there's been talk that Fashanu could fall a bit. Are you really wanting to draft the clear second-best OT in the draft and put one of your better current players in Braxton Jones on the bench because of it?

The most glaring need on this team right now is an edge rusher opposite Sweat and Poles has positioned himself perfectly to (possibly) get himself the pick of that litter. I might be setting myself up for disappointment or maybe Poles is pulling a fast one on all of us, but at this point, it's hard to see him going anything other than Verse/Turner/Latu at #9, and my guess is Verse.
Poles can pick up a free agent DE to fill the 2nd DE spot just like he filled the WR2 spot with Allen.

If the older DE misses games, he can put in Walker.

If Keenen misses games, do you really want Velus in there?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I don't think you build the roster with major injuries in mind. Even if one of Moore or Allen go down you still have a #1 receiver to carry the load, you still have Kmet and Everett, you still have Swift out of the backfield and it gives chances for a second-year Scott to step up or a later-round rookie and so on.

If you want to play the what-if game, what if you draft Odunze and Moore/Allen are healthy for say, 15 out of 17 games but Montez Sweat goes down with an injury after week 7?
If that old free agent DE goes down, you still have Walker and Sweat, not to mention Pickett and Dexter, plus Kamara who was drafted in the 4th round who will outplay the old free agent DE before the DE is injured, doctors calling his injury 'being butt hurt'.