2024 NFL Draft discussion

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I won’t be upset with one of the top two edges.
However, how does the WR room look, if DJ or Allen gets injured? I’m still taking Odunze or Nabers if either is at 9.

The Packers have overloaded Love with young talent at WR and TE. That depth really played out nicely last season because those guys took turns getting hurt.

I want to spoil Williams with “riches.” Poles might still be able to add Clowney, Barnett, or a cut at edge on a one year deal .

If Poles has a choice between Verse and Odunze or Nabers, it’s going to be a great problem to have.
I don't think you build the roster with major injuries in mind. Even if one of Moore or Allen go down you still have a #1 receiver to carry the load, you still have Kmet and Everett, you still have Swift out of the backfield and it gives chances for a second-year Scott to step up or a later-round rookie and so on.

If you want to play the what-if game, what if you draft Odunze and Moore/Allen are healthy for say, 15 out of 17 games but Montez Sweat goes down with an injury after week 7?

gallagher

Ave Atque Vale
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
However, how does the WR room look, if DJ or Allen gets injured? I’m still taking Odunze or Nabers if either is at 9.

The Packers have overloaded Love with young talent at WR and TE. That depth really played out nicely last season because those guys took turns getting hurt.

I want to spoil Williams with “riches.” Poles might still be able to add Clowney, Barnett, or a cut at edge on a one year deal.

If Poles has a choice between Verse and Odunze or Nabers, it’s going to be a great problem to have.
It would be fantastic if this draft yielded another receiving weapon, no doubt.

It is not even for in event of injury. Right now, we have after Allen and Moore what, Scott and VJJ? Anyone else? There are guys who can come out of retirement with more ability to get open and hang onto the ball, and this is a position that sees a lot of roster turnover. I am all for a weapon in the first round, no doubt about it, but I would be happy with a third rounder going to the WR room.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I don't think you build the roster with major injuries in mind. Even if one of Moore or Allen go down you still have a #1 receiver to carry the load, you still have Kmet and Everett, you still have Swift out of the backfield and it gives chances for a second-year Scott to step up or a later-round rookie and so on.

If you want to play the what-if game, what if you draft Odunze and Moore and Allen are healthy for say, 15 out of 17 games but Montez Sweat goes down with an injury after week 7?
I totally get that and knew you would throw a Sweat injury into the discussion. It makes perfect sense. However, I want an overload of top tier talent for Williams.

Also, I think you absolutely have to build your roster for injury contingencies and make the determination what would harm the team most and is there a blue chip solution available in the draft.

Right now, there’s no question edge is the biggest need. Maybe a Sweat injury would be the worst case scenario and needs to be covered.

The roster isn’t going to be perfect but I’m going to default to giving the new QB every possible weapon I can.

Again, I think 9 is going to present a good “problem” to have.

You’re not wrong, I’m not wrong, we just have different perspectives.

Luke

Liked Posts:

I want to spoil Williams with “riches.” Poles might still be able to add Clowney, Barnett, or a cut at edge on a one year deal.

I think in Allens case, this could be quite possible as he has missed 11/34 games (1/3) the last 2 years.
This will be the first time in his life that he will be playing away from the southern California area w/o a Rivers/Herbert throwing to him.
WR's fall off the cliff by 32 let alone 33 or 34 and there is speculation of extending him a couple of years.
Sure, he could continue on and buck the trend but how likely is that?

It would be a nice problem to have choosing between Odunze/edge.
Poles has positioned himself very well this draft.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I almost forgot about Tyree Wilson. Did he have a decent year?
He wasn’t 100% for most of the year. Ended the year much better than the majority of the year but still never played at 100%.

gallagher

Ave Atque Vale
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they could avoid paying a 2nd DE a large salary for the next 5 years, I think they'll jump at that opportunity.
Obviously it comes down to who’s available and how they scout him

oping00@gmail.com

Liked Posts:
Man, I’m starting to like Latu even more now. Dude just makes plays. That’s what you need.
His instincts are also top notch as he grabbed 2 ints from his DE spot. Knows how to use his hands and has a variety of pass rush moves, both verse and latu have good motors that never quit, honestly it would be a good situation if both were available as it would be like nabors and odunze picking either one would be like splitting hairs.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I'm fairly certain one of nabers or odunze will be available at 9. If nabers is there I'm taking him otherwise I'm probably trading back and taking whoever is left of latu and verse. I think latu will be the most effective pass rusher day 1 and would likely be the first edge taken if not for his injury history.

I think its possible bears trade down as far as 20 (steelers coming up for odunze). If they go back that far and latu and verse are gone, I'd be good with deciding between Murphy, Robinson (mizzou), jpj, barton (fashanu if he falls). Going back to 20 should yield a pretty nice haul if that happens and still leave a decent pool of players to choose from.

Bears are sitting in a really nice spot at 9 with a lot of good options.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Obviously it comes down to who’s available and how they scout him
Sure... but if you're going to trade for them, you're going to give up draft picks. If you want a (young) good one, you're going to have to give up an early draft pick and then more than likely pay them. I have a really hard time seeing Poles pay out a ton of money to 2 members of the Dline. It just doesn't make sense. It makes WAY more sense economically to take a top 10 draft pick and spend it on a DE that you will have for the next 5 years. (It doesn't make sense to pay for an older vet, so I think we should eliminate those options)

I could see Pace doing it your way... but not Poles.

Do you have any DE's in mind that you would be willing to give up a 2nd round draft pick for?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
1: the Bears were second to last in sacks last year.
2: 2 of their top 3 sack leaders won’t be back
3: they have added nothing to help the DL
4: EDGE sucks after round 1 this year
5: they invested 2 top 64 picks in DT’s last year
6: they have no more money for major signings

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Wait! but I thought this team was stacked for Caleb!

My thoughts are edge at 9 or a small move down if the top 2 are still there and pick up another 3. Looks like the young DTs will get lots of minutes this year. Who knows? Poles has dough and may wait for a viable castoff.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You really think Poles is still in the business of a WR? Any one of those guys would be the #3 while we've already got two quality pass-catchers at TE as well. It's be a terrible ROI, at least in year 1, which Poles seems to be setting himself up for with the Keenan Allen move.

Also, there's been talk that Fashanu could fall a bit. Are you really wanting to draft the clear second-best OT in the draft and put one of your better current players in Braxton Jones on the bench because of it?

The most glaring need on this team right now is an edge rusher opposite Sweat and Poles has positioned himself perfectly to (possibly) get himself the pick of that litter. I might be setting myself up for disappointment or maybe Poles is pulling a fast one on all of us, but at this point, it's hard to see him going anything other than Verse/Turner/Latu at #9, and my guess is Verse.
I can see him going WR at #9 even though DE is sticking out as the position choice right now. If he can get K.Allen signed to another year or two then that's might change my mind some but as of now we have DJ Moore and a soon to be 32 year old K.Allen on a one year deal. Even if we signed K.Allen to that other year or two we still need a #3 WR that can step into the #2 WR role with the odds of K.Allen at least missing a couple of games with some kind of injury pretty high imo. That mock draft site that @Bearly started a thread with does have some very intriguing WR's still on the board at our #75 pick with the two most intriguing names being Ricky Pearsall and Xavier Legette being two guys i would love to get at #75 but not thinking either will actually make it that far.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Wait! but I thought this team was stacked for Caleb!

My thoughts are edge at 9 or a small move down if the top 2 are still there and pick up another 3. Looks like the young DTs will get lots of minutes this year. Who knows? Poles has dough and may wait for a viable castoff.
Calais Campbell would make a lot of sense as a TC addition. Bears interior DL is the biggest weakness on the team currently (obviously with the assumption they take Williams at 1)

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sure... but if you're going to trade for them, you're going to give up draft picks. If you want a (young) good one, you're going to have to give up an early draft pick and then more than likely pay them. I have a really hard time seeing Poles pay out a ton of money to 2 members of the Dline. It just doesn't make sense. It makes WAY more sense economically to take a top 10 draft pick and spend it on a DE that you will have for the next 5 years. (It doesn't make sense to pay for an older vet, so I think we should eliminate those options)

I could see Pace doing it your way... but not Poles.

Do you have any DE's in mind that you would be willing to give up a 2nd round draft pick for?

I don't think you may need to hit a home run on your next DE....a team not going anywhere with a midling DE nearing the end of a contract. Late round pick.

That could be prevented by getting one of them in FA on a one year deal.

Also, I have not looked at who will be available in the draft next year when the Bears have more options.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

If you want to play the what-if game, what if you draft Odunze and Moore/Allen are healthy for say, 15 out of 17 games but Montez Sweat goes down with an injury after week 7?
True but you now have your #2 WR for the next 5 years and you can decide not to pay big money to K.Allen who would be 33 going into the 2025 season. I mean we need both and there can be points made for both sides so i'm happy with WR, DE or 3T at #9.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

I don't think you need to fill all the gaps this year....get BPA at 9 if you think there is a difference maker at WR or DE.

You can get some midling dude in FA still or a cast off after the draft

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
True but you now have your #2 WR for the next 5 years and you can decide not to pay big money to K.Allen who would be 33 going into the 2025 season. I mean we need both and there can be points made for both sides so i'm happy with WR, DE or 3T at #9.
Not to mention if you take wr at 9 and let Allen walk, you'll likely get a 3rd round comp pick. But they could still extend him and Moore with the rookie qb contract and have a great wr1-3 for 3 years while Williams develops.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

Still better than the DE room if Sweat gets injured.