2024 NFL Draft discussion

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Poles can pick up a free agent DE to fill the 2nd DE spot just like he filled the WR2 spot with Allen.

If the older DE misses games, he can put in Walker.

If Keenen misses games, do you really want Velus in there?
He can't just pick up a DE the same caliber as Keenan Allen. Grabbing Clowney is fine but you're in position to grab a real impact guy who can be a big part of your franchise for the next 8 years or so.

I still want another receiver but this is a deep draft for the position. That 3rd round pick could put us in position to grab a guy like Jalen McMillan who could be a really nice 3rd receiver. We don't need to spend a top 10 pick on a WR that'll immediately step in as your 3rd receiver, especially when Waldron likes to use alot of 2 TE sets.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
He can't just pick up a DE the same caliber as Keenan Allen. Grabbing Clowney is fine but you're in position to grab a real impact guy who can be a big part of your franchise for the next 8 years or so.

I still want another receiver but this is a deep draft for the position. That 3rd round pick could put us in position to grab a guy like Jalen McMillan who could be a really nice 3rd receiver. We don't need to spend a top 10 pick on a WR that'll immediately step in as your 3rd receiver, especially when Waldron likes to use alot of 2 TE sets.
Kamara will have better numbers than at least one of the top 3 DEs in the draft.

BOLD PREDICTION

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Kamara will have better numbers than at least one of the top 3 DEs in the draft.

BOLD PREDICTION
Who? Sam Kamara? The Browns' practice squad guy?

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

If we can't find a good trade down from #9 then would you be good with trading our 3rd and 4th rounder for a high 2nd round pick and just go best DE at #9 and best WR with the high 2nd which there should be some really really good WR's left in the top part of the 2nd round?

Come out of draft with:

#1 - Caleb Williams

#9 - Dallas Turner or Jared Verse

2nd rounder - Adonai Mitchell, Troy Franklin, Ladd McConkey

Nelly

Liked Posts:
If we can't find a good trade down from #9 then would you be good with trading our 3rd and 4th rounder for a high 2nd round pick and just go best DE at #9 and best WR with the high 2nd which there should be some really really good WR's left in the top part of the 2nd round?

Come out of draft with:

#1 - Caleb Williams

How do we trade our 3rd or 4th rounder for a high second this year?

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Come out of draft with:

#1 - Caleb Williams

Bears 3rd and 4th rounder would net pick 65, nowhere close to high second.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
The chargers and giants have huge needs at wr which makes nabors and odunze very likely picks. Atl needs anybody who can get to the qb and they play a 3-4 D which makes turner a fit given his size, that leaves verse or latu at 9 or trade down. Choosing between them is like choosing nabors odunze . Not sure why latu is not getting more love as he led the nation in sacks was productive for 2 years and he checked out fine for his medicals at the combine.
Question about his neck still lingers with some GM's, and he has short arms.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
How do we trade our 3rd or 4th rounder for a high second this year?
I didn't look at the Jimmy Johnson handbook, i was just wondering. So what do you think those two picks would get us?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Bears 3rd and 4th rounder would net pick 65, nowhere close to high second.
So our 4th rounder added to pick #75 (our 3rd rounder) would only move us up 10 spots from 75 to 65? Is this from using the Jimmy Johnson handbook? I feel we could get a higher pick than 65 but have no idea obviously.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
So our 4th rounder added to pick #75 (our 3rd rounder) would only move us up 10 spots from 75 to 65? Is this from using the Jimmy Johnson handbook? I feel we could get a higher pick than 65 but have no idea obviously.
Yes. a mid 4th is not worth much. Very few mid 4ths become impact players.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
What did you think i was saying?
I may have read it wrong, to say we could trade one or the other, perhaps with a future pick. I don't know.

I think things line up well for us.
  • Williams is obviously the gem of the draft. At least half of the other teams in the league would probably give up who they have right now to trade places with us.
  • I'm thinking Verse at #9. Polished, NFL ready, great athlete, has the look of a high-end edge player for a while not.
  • #3 is going to put us in play for plenty of solid receivers, guys who can step in and be the 5th option right away, because that's all they'll be asked to be. And thus, someone to groom alongside Tyler Scott who was able to get open as a rookie just had some drops and route running errors that might be able to be cleaned up. Velus is a lost cause but remember we brought back Pettis as well who's fine as some roster filler and a returner.
  • #4 is a good spot to take a high-end athlete on the offensive line. I'm thinking and interior line prospect or even a tackle. Someone to groom and can possibly step in for one of Jenkins (if we don't want to extend him) or Davis (could be cut at very little cost).
We won't need much more than that on the roster this year. We've got 9, maybe 10 picks next year. Maybe Poles trades a pick next year in order to get one this year too if he has to.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I may have read it wrong, to say we could trade one or the other, perhaps with a future pick. I don't know.

I think things line up well for us.
  • Williams is obviously the gem of the draft. At least half of the other teams in the league would probably give up who they have right now to trade places with us.
  • I'm thinking Verse at #9. Polished, NFL ready, great athlete, has the look of a high-end edge player for a while not.
  • #3 is going to put us in play for plenty of solid receivers, guys who can step in and be the 5th option right away, because that's all they'll be asked to be. And thus, someone to groom alongside Tyler Scott who was able to get open as a rookie just had some drops and route running errors that might be able to be cleaned up. Velus is a lost cause but remember we brought back Pettis as well who's fine as some roster filler and a returner.
  • #4 is a good spot to take a high-end athlete on the offensive line. I'm thinking and interior line prospect or even a tackle. Someone to groom and can possibly step in for one of Jenkins (if we don't want to extend him) or Davis (could be cut at very little cost).
We won't need much more than that on the roster this year. We've got 9, maybe 10 picks next year. Maybe Poles trades a pick next year in order to get one this year too if he has to.
I'd be pretty happy with either one of Verse or Turner at #9 if we ended up going DE there but we better get a much better 3rd WR than anything we have now to be able to play the #3 role and even the #2 role if needed.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'd be down with trading one of our 2nd rounders in 2025, our own and not the Carolina pick, to get into the 2nd this year. If we could use that and our 4th rounder, maybe our 3rd, this year to get a 2nd then that would be a great spot to get a WR if we go DE at #9.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yes. a mid 4th is not worth much. Very few mid 4ths become impact players.
4th round picks are much more valuable to these GM's than they are to some fans.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I won’t be upset with one of the top two edges.
However, how does the WR room look, if DJ or Allen gets injured? I’m still taking Odunze or Nabers if either is at 9.

The Packers have overloaded Love with young talent at WR and TE. That depth really played out nicely last season because those guys took turns getting hurt.

I want to spoil Williams with “riches.” Poles might still be able to add Clowney, Barnett, or a cut at edge on a one year deal.

If Poles has a choice between Verse and Odunze or Nabers, it’s going to be a great problem to have.
My pick would be Verse, but I can see where you are coming from. I think taking Verse at 9 would have the Bears getting a step closer to the defense becoming elite.

Using the Packers as an example really is proof that you don't have to use 1st round picks on WR's. Reed, Watson, Musgrave all 2nd round picks. Doubs 4th round, Wicks 5th round. Most of their first round picks have been on defense the past few years.

Bears have Moore, Allen, Kmet, Everett. Then there is Scott who I am not giving up on with a more accurate QB in Williams throwing him the ball. Also, there is still talent in the 3rd round at WR to choose from. Swift will also be a major option in the passing game that some here are overlooking.

These moves will still give Williams the kind of riches you are looking for, while making the defense that much stronger.

DE or WR at #9 Poles is still getting that blue-chip prospect he is looking for.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
My pick would be Verse, but I can see where you are coming from. I think taking Verse at 9 would have the Bears getting a step closer to the defense becoming elite.

Using the Packers as an example really is proof that you don't have to use 1st round picks on WR's. Reed, Watson, Musgrave all 2nd round picks. Doubs 4th round, Wicks 5th round. Most of their first round picks have been on defense the past few years.

Bears have Moore, Allen, Kmet, Everett. Then there is Scott who I am not giving up on with a more accurate QB in Williams throwing him the ball. Also, there is still talent in the 3rd round at WR to choose from. Swift will also be a major option in the passing game that some here are overlooking.

These moves will still give Williams the kind of riches you are looking for, while making the defense that much stronger.

DE or WR at #9 Poles is still getting that blue-chip prospect he is looking for.
Exactly. Grab a quality player in the 3rd and you're good. Even if Moore or Allen go down, you have the other to gobble targets and make life easier on your other receivers while Waldron is still playing lots of 2 TE sets. Needing another 10 top WR at this point is way overkill.