5 Thoughts and Observations on Dolphins-Bears

me654

Liked Posts:
In hind sight Im sure he makes the attempt to get closer, but at the time hes trusting his kicker....its one of those things.

If the kicker makes it, Nagy's call is never questioned.

Not to beat a dead horse, but im more troubled by the defensive effort at the end....especially the score that tied the game.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ok so that is your issue. Running 3 times in a row.
Well yeah. Because that's the reality of what happened.

It's the entire issue.

Can I recall a SPECIFIC moment where a team ran 3 times to setup a 53 yard FG? No.
Ok. Thanks.

I would be willing to bet my entire year's salary though that a team has ran the ball 3 straight times (thinking they would get a 1st to run down the clock) and having to settle for a 50+ yard FG in OT.
Thanks for the offer but the CCS server bill is fully paid up.

For Rory to say that it was unprecedented to me is hyperbole.
Ok. You can't prove it.

Awesome.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I think not using Trubisky's legs was a huge mistake in that final 3 plays. He had been super productive on designed runs and on breaking the pocket.

I think people underestimate that he is a legit athlete and weapon with the ball in his hands. Not a good running QB, but a real weapon, and if you get him on the move he can create yards even on a broken play.

Agreed on that as well. Also on the 3rd down run to Howard, if Trubisky read keeps that ball, he has a wide open lane to the right. It might actually go for a touchdown.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My end of game play calling

1st Down: Run the ball again, you had been gouging them and you need to see if you can keep it going. Going left so at minimum the ball is centered.

2nd Down: Run-Run Option, I am letting Mitch and whoever is playing RB do zone read based on how they are playing. I am having a kill play that would move it to an RPO with a backside slant to Robinson if the Dolphins look like they are selling out.

3rd Down: Play action bootleg, Mitch can throw it or run it, whatever guarantees some positive yards.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In hind sight Im sure he makes the attempt to get closer, but at the time hes trusting his kicker....its one of those things.

If the kicker makes it, Nagy's call is never questioned.

Not to beat a dead horse, but im more troubled by the defensive effort at the end....especially the score that tied the game.

The defensive effort was pitiful.

They gave up 113 yards of YAC to Albert Wilson in the 4th quarter alone.

They needed their coach to bail them out the one time they made a game saving play.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

1st Down: Run the ball again, you had been gouging them and you need to see if you can keep it going. Going left so at minimum the ball is centered.

2nd Down: Run-Run Option, I am letting Mitch and whoever is playing RB do zone read based on how they are playing. I am having a kill play that would move it to an RPO with a backside slant to Robinson if the Dolphins look like they are selling out.

3rd Down: Play action bootleg, Mitch can throw it or run it, whatever guarantees some positive yards.

I'm play action or RPO on 1st the next two plays are too tough for me to say without knowing how the the plays turnout.

IMO if you're going to throw you do it on 1st, so any loss yardage on a sack etc you have two shots to get back.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I agree. I just like the idea of getting in a position where a miss means you tie. That's why I like the running plays on 1st and 2nd down to keep the clock running. Especially since it was working the previous plays.

Except they weren't getting into position where a miss means you tie. Too much time on the clock. They need to secure a first down first then worry about running out the clock.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

That would be perfect. It guarantees to keep the clock moving on 1st and 2nd down and if you do get to 3rd down, it's likely 3rd and short. There are no plays here too risky.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Except they weren't getting into position where a miss means you tie. Too much time on the clock. They need to secure a first down first then worry about running out the clock.

That's what I mean. Another 1st down and it's hard for Miami to get the ball back with any substantial time left.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That would be perfect. It guarantees to keep the clock moving on 1st and 2nd down and if you do get to 3rd down, it's likely 3rd and short. There are no plays here too risky.

I just do not know why he would trust Parkey and the defense more than Mitch's ability to run.

The one consistent thing that 10 has had this season is that he gouges teams running the ball.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm play action or RPO on 1st the next two plays are too tough for me to say without knowing how the the plays turnout.

IMO if you're going to throw you do it on 1st, so any loss yardage on a sack etc you have two shots to get back.

Yeah especially with Howard asking out and Cohen in on first down. Some sort of play action or option play would have made a ton of sense.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
QB Rushing Leaders/game

1. Dak Prescott 34
1. Deshaun Watson 34
3. Mitch Trubisky 33

For some context arguably one of the best running QBs of our generation Cam Newton for his career averages 40/game.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
The important thing is for Nagy to learn and adjust. Luckily this wasn't an out of conference game so the sting is less.

I am not surprised he sticks to his guns in the post game. He probably wants to still show confidence in Parkey.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's what I mean. Another 1st down and it's hard for Miami to get the ball back with any substantial time left.

Right but problem is he didn't really play for another 1st down with 3 runs. Those were not the best plays if your intent is to secure the 1st.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

3rd down: Play action with AR on a go route as third option. If the short pass or run is not there you throw the jump ball to AR. Either get a completed pass, and INC, a DPI or an interception, all of which are better than what happened.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
The Vikings didn't stall out upon reaching the 40 yard line. They actually made the game-winning FG, had it called back due to a 15-yard hands to the face penalty (Bears never get any calls!), and were stuck in a 3rd and 25. They wanted to keep the FG attempt to a makeable distance (i.e. less than 50 yards).

Its not the same situation, and what the Vikings did was actually the opposite of the Bears...they went with the highest percentage play to keep the FG under 50 yards.

Are you suggesting here that on 3rd and 25 it’s a good idea to run and settle for the field goal?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I just do not know why he would trust Parkey and the defense more than Mitch's ability to run.

The one consistent thing that 10 has had this season is that he gouges teams running the ball.

Yup. He had a scramble to the right sideline in the 1st half where he had zero angle around the LB and he still got around him. I was impressed.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I have been really disappointed in them not using Trubs athleticism more. You look at how Mahommes is often getting out of the pocket to great success and I think Mitch has it in his head too much to try and be a classic pocket passer.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Right but problem is he didn't really play for another 1st down with 3 runs. Those were not the best plays if your intent is to secure the 1st.

He didn't admit it in the post game (he wants to show confidence in Parkey IMO), but I honestly think he thought he was going to get a 1st down with Howard on 3rd and 4. I thought there was no way.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I just do not know why Nagy was so concerned with a sack or a penalty.

The Bears are bottom 3rd in the league in sacks allowed and have very few holding calls on the OL.