Alfonso Soriano returns to New York Yankees

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
It will be kind of sad not seeing Sori as a Cub anymore. But it is rebuilding days for us....

Who would be the longest tenured Cub now? Samardzija?

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Sori on a red-eye flight to NY as we speak.

Good luck, man. I hate pulling for the yankees, but I'm ok w/ a Yankee/Ranger ALCS this season.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Rumored prospect is Corey Black.

CHAMPS!!!!

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 1h Soriano is owed about $24.5m through '14. CHC are going to pick up about $17.7m. NYY will pick up about $6.8m of that, including $5m in '14.

czman

Liked Posts:
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 1h Soriano is owed about $24.5m through '14. CHC are going to pick up about $17.7m. NYY will pick up about $6.8m of that, including $5m in '14.

I don't really understand this trade. Sori is still productive. Byrd and Z were useless so I get he idea behind those deals. The Cubs are only saving 5 million for next year? That only makes sense if they are on a very hard budget. If they have any wiggle room in their budget at all this deal does not make much sense.

I don't crap about the minor league pitcher. I am not going to type about that.

At this point i don't like the deal. I will wait and see what else we find out.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is a making room deal for Lake, Bryant or anothe going OF.

It sucks but at some point we need to clear space for the young players.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow..trading a future HOFer for a struggling Class A player? I thought the Cubs would be able to get a bit more in return for Soriano...this is like Brock-for-Broglio part II.

I see you still have sand in your vagina. May want to knock that out before your next post.

:flipa:

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wasn't expecting much, it's a dump to give a kid a chance. And give Soriano a chance to win a WS. Don't mind, wish we got a better spec. But this goes to show that we've turned over from the Hendry days relatively quickly, hopefully we're making a turn for the better soon.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Just a stupid trade really. We're paying for him to play on the Yankees. I get he wanted to go to a contender, but the Yankees are hardly a contender, so I don't know why he was excited to go to them... We get junk in return. Dumb to get rid of our best player to clear a spot for a young guy (who probably won't do shit anyway) Yeah, he wasn't going to be a part of the future Theo wants anyway so I guess it's better now than never.

Anyways, Sori will be missed. Badly. Maybe now all the Cub fans who hated on Sori will really see what he brought to this team. Hope Sori gets another ring...

patg006

Liked Posts:
Just a stupid trade really. We're paying for him to play on the Yankees. I get he wanted to go to a contender, but the Yankees are hardly a contender, so I don't know why he was excited to go to them... We get junk in return. Dumb to get rid of our best player to clear a spot for a young guy (who probably won't do shit anyway) Yeah, he wasn't going to be a part of the future Theo wants anyway so I guess it's better now than never.

Anyways, Sori will be missed. Badly. Maybe now all the Cub fans who hated on Sori will really see what he brought to this team. Hope Sori gets his ring...

My thoughts exactly.

I believe Rizzo will suffer greatly from this deal. No protection in the line up now, and watch his average and hittable pitches drop. Unless someone wants to inject a performance enhance in Colon Gillespie's ass......

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I can see that the motivation was to get some of the contract moved and they got another depth arm.

What matters is Sori's 18 mil would have counted against the Cubs "payroll soft cap" that is in place. Say next year would be 100 mil. (due to construction starting this winter and that will come out of profits)

So that means 13 mil against pay roll.

As far as how everything shakes out. I believe it will be based off of performance from now on.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fun fact: Andre Dawson and Alfonso Soriano career with the Cubs are the same length. There is only about a 170 at bat difference. Guess who is fWAR was better? Sorianos. Guess what pushed it over Dawson? Defense. Haha that should stick in the craw of some of the WAR lovers.

AmericanFlyer1

Liked Posts:
So the Cubs are going to eat 17-20 million of someone's contract to net them possibly next to nothing and pay someone else to have said player play for them? Should have just sent him to the Pirates or Reds if he would have approved. WTF!

If anyone ever buys that the "every dollar spent" crap by Cubs management is the gospel, they ought to have their head examined.

They ate 18 million of Zambrano's, the rest of Byrd's, and now most of Soriano's and they got Volstad, Bowden, and a possible unknown for roughly 42 million combined.

Anyone else think that this is odd?

If they can just throw that much money away at a moments notice, their had better be no damn reason that they get outbid by anyone for Gonzalez.

Unbelievable!

You hit it Boo. And no, it is not unbelievable. With this current management/ownership, it is right what is to be expected. Pay for someone to play somewhere else while saving a miniscule amount.

The Yankees must be laughing quite heartedly about this deal.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs Den take on Corey Black:
Of all the names mentioned, he's the one that intrigues me the most. He's undersized, but has similar athleticism and build as Travis Wood. He can also bring it, able to pitch last year at 95-98 with sinking movement. Some reports have him touching 100 mph in the instructional league. His changeup is solid and his secondaries lag behind, though the slider is further along than the curve. He has struck out 9.58 batters per 9 innings and although he has walked 4.90 per 9 IP, he does have the kind of athleticism to repeat his delivery and develop better command.
Joel Sherman, who is New York reporter, says that Black can hit 97 and has a developing power curve.

I don't like to scout numbers at the low minors but the thing that jumps out right away is the fact that he consistently has struck out 9 or more batters per 9 innings. Hardly an impact guy, but this isn't nothing like some seem to be painting. Again think the FO's hands were tied on where Soriano would go due to 10-5 rights, but that is a debate that will have no answer.

Bigger question is what does this mean for the OF going forward and I think it would seem likely that the Cubs hang onto Schierholtz and DeJesus unless a team blows them away with an offer for one of those 2. 2014 OF might be some combination of Lake, DeJesus and Schierholtz.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs Den take on Corey Black:
Joel Sherman, who is New York reporter, says that Black can hit 97 and has a developing power curve.

I don't like to scout numbers at the low minors but the thing that jumps out right away is the fact that he consistently has struck out 9 or more batters per 9 innings. Hardly an impact guy, but this isn't nothing like some seem to be painting. Again think the FO's hands were tied on where Soriano would go due to 10-5 rights, but that is a debate that will have no answer.

Bigger question is what does this mean for the OF going forward and I think it would seem likely that the Cubs hang onto Schierholtz and DeJesus unless a team blows them away with an offer for one of those 2. 2014 OF might be some combination of Lake, DeJesus and Schierholtz.

I still think they have a plan to platoon Lake in RF next year unless he completely plays his way into a starting job. I also expect to see Vitters in left before this year is done.