Alfonso Soriano returns to New York Yankees

chibears55

Liked Posts:
if given a choice, id rather take a chance on phil hughes who just 27 and is a proven major leaguer and could just use a change of scenery, over Manny Banuelos who coming off TJ surgery and has more question marks then hughes as far as being healthy. ready, and haviing success at the major league level.

as far as soriano goes, i think he prob. talking it over with his family and i wouldnt be surprise if he actually started the game tomm. and then got pulled after one AB, to get one last AB as cub. thinking about it now, if he gets a PH appearance tonight, that could be the sign that he will get traded by tomm.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Julie DiCaro ‏@JulieDiCaro 48s
#Cubs are just waiting for Soriano to approve trade to the Yankees, which he almost certainly will. So long., Fonzie. I'll miss ya.

patg006

Liked Posts:
I'd love to see Hughes get a chance. Maybe a change of scenery does him good.

Read the article I listed above. Its not about a "change of scenery." Its about his fastball, and how when its on 1/4 of the time; hes dynamite. When its off, its lazy, and over the middle of the plate. He's been more off than he's been on over the last few years, and its pissing off bronx fans.

Never saying he cant change or adapt; because Cliff Lee is an example of a guy who redefined his change up which was terrible--then he became the dominant pitcher we see today.

Dave Duncan could fix him if somebody could, I'd bet on that. But Chris Bosio I dont think can.....and its all on Hughes to fix his problem. So far, after 6 years he hasnt. I dont like his chances

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'm curious as to why you believe Bosio can't "fix" Hughes.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
if given a choice, id rather take a chance on phil hughes who just 27 and is a proven major leaguer and could just use a change of scenery, over Manny Banuelos who coming off TJ surgery and has more question marks then hughes as far as being healthy. ready, and haviing success at the major league level.

as far as soriano goes, i think he prob. talking it over with his family and i wouldnt be surprise if he actually started the game tomm. and then got pulled after one AB, to get one last AB as cub. thinking about it now, if he gets a PH appearance tonight, that could be the sign that he will get traded by tomm.

Not too smart from the Cubs perspective. Say they pull the deal and ship the Diff over. Hughes is a F/A after the year and they still have to pay Sori's 2014. So there is no savings. There is no long term gain. Hughes could just be signed as a F/A. This scenerio should not happen and it goes against EVER trade that Jed has pulled to this date. Short term for long term. So no and wishful thinking. If they want a SP solution they will buy in F/A as they have done.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not too smart from the Cubs perspective. Say they pull the deal and ship the Diff over. Hughes is a F/A after the year and they still have to pay Sori's 2014. So there is no savings. There is no long term gain. Hughes could just be signed as a F/A. This scenerio should not happen and it goes against EVER trade that Jed has pulled to this date. Short term for long term. So no and wishful thinking. If they want a SP solution they will buy in F/A as they have done.

Take that back. This trade would be like what they did with Z. Except Z was violent and Theo was forced into the situation. I believe that deal was Theo's. this deal doesn't have to be made. Period. At the end of the day theCubs are paying out regardless and they need something to show for it past this year.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
CFS.. I agree with what your saying as far as their not gonna deal soriano for a 2 month player.. my thinking
is they may take him and a lesser player if yanks take
most of sori salary or they may get an agreed extension for a yr or two from hughes before deal.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
From what I read the Yanks are concerned about going over 215 mil next year. Tax and sharing. So from their perspective. Even if the Cubs pay for it his 18 mil counts against them as far as tax and rev share. The best scenerio for them is to pay this year and the Cubs pay the 18 mil. How ever they work it don't matter. Then after the WS they cut Sori so that 18 mil doesn't count against 2014. Then they could give him a league min deal at that point that would be minor payroll hit if Sori wanted to do so. For the Cubs they would want a power arm. With control. If they wanted Hughes for next year they could just pay him as a F/A. No point to even trade sori for him.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Read the article I listed above. Its not about a "change of scenery." Its about his fastball, and how when its on 1/4 of the time; hes dynamite. When its off, its lazy, and over the middle of the plate. He's been more off than he's been on over the last few years, and its pissing off bronx fans.

Never saying he cant change or adapt; because Cliff Lee is an example of a guy who redefined his change up which was terrible--then he became the dominant pitcher we see today.

Dave Duncan could fix him if somebody could, I'd bet on that. But Chris Bosio I dont think can.....and its all on Hughes to fix his problem. So far, after 6 years he hasnt. I dont like his chances

Don't forget about Larry Rothschild. He has had a year and a half under him and hasn't faired too well either for those that think Rothschild is a good pitching coach.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The guy I want from the Yankees to take a flyer on is pitcher Dellin Betances.

6'8" 260lbs power right hander who's star has fallen a bit but he is in AAA and who knows he could be a bull pen guy or a closer if he is not a starter.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
NYY sources saying its close while Cubs saying its not even close. Hoyer did XM interview and said they havent even talked players or money yet. But We have heard Cubs brass lied before. 100% Garza starting for Cubs on MON. How that work out??

Sveum's quote was referring to whether Garza would be pulled from his start. i.e. IF a Cub, 100% chance he'd make his scheduled start.

I don't fault any GM playing coy at this time of year. No different than asking a football GM who they're going top draft. I would hardly call them liars for not divulging their intended moves for all to see.

When I play poker, I don't ask the others what cards they have and expect a straight answer.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Agreed. It makes NO sense to get Hughes in a trade.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love the idea of getting Manny B or Dellin B back for Sori. Would be a nice add.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Soriano pulled from tonights lineup...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
By Steve Adams [July 25 at 6:33pm CST]
Alfonso Soriano has been scratched from the Cubs' lineup tonight because he is close to being traded to the Yankees, Cubs manager Dale Sveum confirmed to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune (Twitter link). Sullivan adds that Sveum referred to the trade as "99 percent done."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Major players from the Hendry Roster turnover is pretty much complete...

Soriano, Lee, Big Z, Dempster, Marmol, Ramirez.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Olney reporting it's a lower-tier pitching prospect.

patg006

Liked Posts:
By Steve Adams [July 25 at 6:33pm CST]
Alfonso Soriano has been scratched from the Cubs' lineup tonight because he is close to being traded to the Yankees, Cubs manager Dale Sveum confirmed to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune (Twitter link). Sullivan adds that Sveum referred to the trade as "99 percent done."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

No word on the return. Interesting......

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carrie Muskat ‏@CarrieMuskat 20m
Players visibly upset at news re Soriano. #Cubs

Soriano is gone just not official yet. Saying lower tier pitching prospect. That's about all they know. Best of luck to Soriano. He was a class act. Better player then Cubs fans will ever give him credit for.