Alfonso Soriano returns to New York Yankees

chibears55

Liked Posts:
No word on the return. Interesting......

6:56pm: ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Cubs are likely to receive a lower-level pitching prospect for Soriano and that they will eat the majority of the money remaining on Soriano's contract. The two sides are waiting for the formal waiving of Soriano's no-trade clause (Twitter links).

By Paul Sullivan, Tribune reporter
7:08 p.m. CDT, July 25, 2013

PHOENIX -- Alfonso Soriano was scratched from the Chicago Cubs lineup Thursday pending the official announcement of a deal to the New York Yankees.

Manager Dale Sveum confirmed the news before Thursday's game, saying the deal a "99 percent done."

The Cubs are expected to receive a Class-A pitcher and pay most of the remainder of Soriano's contract, which runs through 2014.

i heard epstein is headed back to chicago now from Arizona..

DrGonzo

Dump VJJ
Donator
Liked Posts:
6:56pm: ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Cubs are likely to receive a lower-level pitching prospect for Soriano and that they will eat the majority of the money remaining on Soriano's contract. The two sides are waiting for the formal waiving of Soriano's no-trade clause (Twitter links).

By Paul Sullivan, Tribune reporter
7:08 p.m. CDT, July 25, 2013

PHOENIX -- Alfonso Soriano was scratched from the Chicago Cubs lineup Thursday pending the official announcement of a deal to the New York Yankees.

Manager Dale Sveum confirmed the news before Thursday's game, saying the deal a "99 percent done."

The Cubs are expected to receive a Class-A pitcher and pay most of the remainder of Soriano's contract, which runs through 2014.

i heard epstein is headed back to chicago now from Arizona..
Um, doesn't sound like much of a deal.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, not much of a deal at all.

But I suppose the no trade clause was a hurdle and Soriano has been a classy enough guy to earn a shot at being on a more competitive team.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

But I suppose the no trade clause was a hurdle and Soriano has been a classy enough guy to earn a shot at being on a more competitive team.

Yeah -- we weren't going to get much back for him regardless, and with him only willing to go to a select few teams, just good to send him where he wants to go.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

this deal was more about getting some salary relief, opening an OF spot, and giving soriano a last chance at winning a world series..

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Yeah -- we weren't going to get much back for him regardless, and with him only willing to go to a select few teams, just good to send him where he wants to go.

So the Cubs are going to eat 17-20 million of someone's contract to net them possibly next to nothing and pay someone else to have said player play for them? Should have just sent him to the Pirates or Reds if he would have approved. WTF!

If anyone ever buys that the "every dollar spent" crap by Cubs management is the gospel, they ought to have their head examined.

They ate 18 million of Zambrano's, the rest of Byrd's, and now most of Soriano's and they got Volstad, Bowden, and a possible unknown for roughly 42 million combined.

Anyone else think that this is odd?

If they can just throw that much money away at a moments notice, their had better be no damn reason that they get outbid by anyone for Gonzalez.

Unbelievable!

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
this deal was more about getting some salary relief, opening an OF spot, and giving soriano a last chance at winning a world series..

How nice of them. I would have rather ate the whole damn contract and got a legit prospect from Baltimore, Pittsburgh, or Tampa if he would have approved.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
How nice of them. I would have rather ate the whole damn contract and got a legit pitching prospect.

Or sent Russell/Gregg to get another chip or two.

Pepe Silvia

Where's my mail?
Liked Posts:
So the Cubs are going to eat 17-20 million of someone's contract to net them possibly next to nothing and pay someone else to have said player play for them? Should have just sent him to the Pirates or Reds if he would have approved. WTF!

If anyone ever buys that the "every dollar spent" crap by Cubs management is the gospel, they ought to have their head examined.

They ate 18 million of Zambrano's, the rest of Byrd's, and now most of Soriano's and they got Volstad, Bowden, and a possible unknown for roughly 42 million combined.

Anyone else think that this is odd?

If they can just throw that much money away at a moments notice, their had better be no damn reason that they get outbid by anyone for Gonzalez.

Unbelievable!

If it really is for a nothing of a prospect, this is bullshit. You either trade him to save money and get nothing back, or trade him along with money to get something good back. You don't trade him AND money for nothing.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Saving money can't be a factor. if the Cubs are gonna do something with that 2 or 3 million dollars the Yankees are paying that they wouldn't otherwise have done, that's embarrassing.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You need to open up the line up for young players.

Lake needs to play everyday in LF.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 21m
@brettkwallace The prospect they would get is a third-tier, Grade B-/C+ type.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
You need to open up the line up for young players.

Lake needs to play everyday in LF.

Could have sat Barney or traded him and accomplished the same feat by playing him at 2B where he actually has a chance of staying, and upgraded the team because frankly, Barney stinks.

Lake doesn't have corner outfield power, regardless of what he has shown to date.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
How nice of them. I would have rather ate the whole damn contract and got a legit prospect from Baltimore, Pittsburgh, or Tampa if he would have approved.

That is the key part that we will never know. Seems awful likely that he had a list of one team that he was willing to go to.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Looks like it wont get done tonight.

Picture this tonight: Soriano comes up in the 9th, hits a go-ahead bomb to center. Flips his bat, jogs backwards to first base, starts rapping "Party rock anthem" as he rounds the bases and flips everyone off as he touches home plate.

then the bullpen blows it in the bottom half of the 9th to lose

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe I'm underestimating how much the Yankees are paying.

Everyone's saying the Cubs are paying more than half of the $25 million still owed to Soriano (obviously) but if the Yankees are picking up $10 million or something like that, that explains some things

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
There isn't enough information available at this time to form an opinion of the trade, imho.

Willrust

Liked Posts:

chibears55

Liked Posts:

couple things on this.. soriano may not of wanted to go to Balt. , Pitts. or TB..

next, who the say the player from those team ends up any better then the player their going to recieve from the yankees.. just because he a younger low level player, doesnt mean he has no chance of making it. also pay all of 25 MIL for a future question mark.. wouldnt of been a smart deal.

also, not sure if he even really had an actual list of teams but his no.1 choice was probably the yankees in which he himself said last night that he was 100% sure he will be traded to yanks.

Maybe I'm underestimating how much the Yankees are paying.

was being assumed by the writers, is that the cubs will pay a little more then half of 25 MIl owed..
half is 12.5 MIL. so im gonna guess the cubs will pay around 15-17 and yanks 10-8

seriously, not sure what some of you expected to get in return for a 37 YO Left Fielder that has 25 MIL left on his contract and who will probably retire after 2014.

If they end up saving close to 10 MIl from his contract and pick up a young pitcher, thats a pretty good deal for him.