All purpose Garza/Dempster trade thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that's the way it's supposed to work.

Yeah I can't really find it one way or the other. The closest to saying that is the primer at MLBtraderumors. Every other places I've read has said that the team surrenders the pick. I am guessing that is where my confusion came from.

Yeah it is two prospects. After rereading it, it does state that pretty clearly.

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Referring to Castellanos I take it?

Highly doubt that the Tigers would part with him for Garza, but if you are going to Erie that would be the guy to watch.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Highly doubt that the Tigers would part with him for Garza, but if you are going to Erie that would be the guy to watch.

I want Castellanos so bad haha.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want Castellanos so bad haha.

We need pitching so bad, but if you could get either Castellanos or Olt from Texas in a deal that would be a guy that has a chance to be the centerpiece of the middle of the order.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of course Olt is a pipedream because the Rangers have never shown interest in Garza, and that remains to be the case. I forget which guy just tweeted it, but the Rangers appear to be after 1. Hamels 2. Greinke or bust.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's the guy they were probably scouting, but he's not going anywhere. But I wonder what position he's gunna play... Miggy at 3B and Fielder is at 1B.

So ... maybe there's a slight chance he can be atainable. However, my first guess says no and a package of Turner and Crosby are way more likely and possible.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I just looked at Erie's roater and the only player that I saw the Cubs would have their eye on is him.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's the guy they were probably scouting, but he's not going anywhere. But I wonder what position he's gunna play... Miggy at 3B and Fielder is at 1B.

So ... maybe there's a slight chance he can be atainable. However, my first guess says no and a package of Turner and Crosby are way more likely and possible.

Castellanos is the headliner at Erie, but there are certainly more prospects than just him. Detroit has been saying Castellanos is untouchable for a while, and the plan was to move Miggy and Fielder into a 1B/DH platoon when V-Mart is gone was my understanding of the situation.

I find it hard to believe that we will get everything we want for Garza right now with the way he is pitching. To be honest, the odds of him sticking around are only increasing with each clunker. But the 'Stros got real prospects for garbage like Carlos Lee so who knows.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I would have took that offer for LaHair from Miami who's producng way more.

From the looks of it, Garza is a goner. He's not pitching great, but teams know how he can pitch and will make a deal with him. Especially with the lack of SP at the deadline and since he still has a year of control unlike the other top SP that may be available at the deadline (Hamels, Greinke). A package of Turner and Oliver will will interesting and wanting me to complete a deal.

SP rotation for years:
Turner
Samardzija
Wood
Oliver
Player the Cubs acquire for Dempster and/or Maholm.

It really doesn't look that bad.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
and remember once the Cubs prospects start coming up and producing, Theo and Hoyer will look at adding a big free agent or two to complete the team. Im not sure what big time pitchers could be available in a couple of years but its something to think about

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
and remember once the Cubs prospects start coming up and producing, Theo and Hoyer will look at adding a big free agent or two to complete the team. Im not sure what big time pitchers could be available in a couple of years but its something to think about

The Cubs won't go after a big time FA this off-season, but I looked at 2014 sp FA's and there were no good ones like this winter (Hamels, Grienke).

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs won't go after a big time FA this off-season, but I looked at 2014 sp FA's and there were no good ones like this winter (Hamels, Grienke).
While I am less than optimistic that the Cubs would go after those pitchers, I think the odds go up pretty significantly if they are traded.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
While I am less than optimistic that the Cubs would go after those pitchers, I think the odds go up pretty significantly if they are traded.

Indeed, if they are traded the Cubs can throw money at the issue without worrying about losing draft picks. It'd almost be to their benefit for Greinke and Hamels to be traded, and possibly Dempster too. That's also one of the reasons why the parent clubs may not be as willing to trade their pitchers as well.

Once again it comes down to the level of desperation.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would have took that offer for LaHair from Miami who's producng way more.

From the looks of it, Garza is a goner. He's not pitching great, but teams know how he can pitch and will make a deal with him. Especially with the lack of SP at the deadline and since he still has a year of control unlike the other top SP that may be available at the deadline (Hamels, Greinke). A package of Turner and Oliver will will interesting and wanting me to complete a deal.

SP rotation for years:
Turner
Samardzija
Wood
Oliver
Player the Cubs acquire for Dempster and/or Maholm.

It really doesn't look that bad

you're right, thats not bad, its fucking disgusting. Have some of you gotten lost in this rebuild? i think so. It seems as though with (insert theoism) and his new ways around the cubs, the fans baseball IQs have taken a dive.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
you're right, thats not bad, its fucking disgusting. Have some of you gotten lost in this rebuild? i think so. It seems as though with (insert theoism) and his new ways around the cubs, the fans baseball IQs have taken a dive.

Might be premature to pencil in prospects for the top of the rotation (though the existing guys aren't that good anyway). Depending on which Samardzija shows up and how the prospects develop, though, it might be at least serviceable. I don't see anything wrong with a little optimism but realistically I doubt the Cubs can pull Turner away from Detroit.

If it happens though, either Detroit is dumb/desperate or the new Cubs front office has godlike powers.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Might be premature to pencil in prospects for the top of the rotation (though the existing guys aren't that good anyway). Depending on which Samardzija shows up and how the prospects develop, though, it might be at least serviceable. I don't see anything wrong with a little optimism but realistically I doubt the Cubs can pull Turner away from Detroit.

If it happens though, either Detroit is dumb/desperate or the new Cubs front office has godlike powers.

That is the best way to sum it up. There are a ton of question marks in that rotation, but if everyone hit their ceiling it would be a good rotation. The odds of that and not becoming injuried though is pretty low.

And I agree that getting Castellanos or Turner is pretty unlikely.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
it seems that every cubs prospect that they have will be a success

it seems that every cubs prospect that they havent gotten yet in a deal will be a success

news flash....if you think that as a fan you will be kicked in the nuts.

They will have to spend money to win again, and it will take 4 to 5 yeas before that happens. If they want to win sooner they will have to spend a lot sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.