• LA'EL COLLINS or Someone Else

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No way it's Gurley at 7. That would be a trade down scenario. I like him, but the injuries scare me with any tailback. You don't really want to draft a guy in the first who has already ripped his knee up.

Don't fall for that troll.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
what do you mean he isn't as fast? he's literally neck and neck with white the whole time and pulls slightly ahead at the end. the difference in their track speed is almost imperceptible.

more importantly, cooper is faster on the field. white doesn't play to his track time.

I'm agreeing with you. Cooper has a second gear that you really don't see on the track.

I think that's Parker and White in front, but I would still take Cooper over both. Cooper is complete. He's quick and he's also physical. He should be very successful at the next level. I could be wrong about the sprint, but the narrative seems to say it's Parker and White in front, but we're talking about tenths of a second - Cooper plays really fast in pads, but he's playing the position. He doesn't need to be Willie Gault. I like the player, but he's likely gone. Maybe Fowler will be there.

Last edited:

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I'm agreeing with you. Cooper has a second gear that you really don't see on the track.

yeah i was replying to Pickles post. he said cooper isn't as fast as white which, clearly, isn't true.

it seems like cooper gets lumped into the reggie wayne/marvin harrison category by a lot of people as a guy who isn't super athletic or fast but gets by on route running. in my mind, what makes him such a great prospect is that he is that caliber of route runner and player but he does have elite speed and athleticism. the only area his game lacks his "above the rim" ability. but like i said pages ago, when you're super quick and fast and run great routes you don't have to win many contested catches.

overall this argument is kind of silly. they are both excellent prospects and will both, barring injury, likely be very successful NFL players. if i had to choose, especially for the bears right now, i'd take cooper every time. but that doesn't mean i don't like white.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
overall this argument is kind of silly. they are both excellent prospects and will both, barring injury, likely be very successful NFL players. if i had to choose, especially for the bears right now, i'd take cooper every time. but that doesn't mean i don't like white.

I agree they both will be very good-great players. Just discussing to kill time. But end note Cooper is better.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
yeah i was replying to Pickles post. he said cooper isn't as fast as white which, clearly, isn't true.

it seems like cooper gets lumped into the reggie wayne/marvin harrison category by a lot of people as a guy who isn't super athletic or fast but gets by on route running. in my mind, what makes him such a great prospect is that he is that caliber of route runner and player but he does have elite speed and athleticism. the only area his game lacks his "above the rim" ability. but like i said pages ago, when you're super quick and fast and run great routes you don't have to win many contested catches.

The only thing he lacks is size. He's hardly a shrimp though. He'll compete for a ball, but he's not the red zone threat that Jeffery and Bennett are.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
from NFL.com

Overview:

As a junior in 2014, he was the winner of the Biletnikoff Award, which goes to the nation's most outstanding receiver and was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy. He was a unanimous first-team All-American and was SEC Offensive Player of the Year. Led the nation in receptions (124) and finished second in yards (1,727) and touchdown receptions (16). Played in 40 games in his three-year Alabama career, starting 30 games and hauling in 31 touchdown receptions. Hampered by foot and toe injuries during sophomore season, but finished season with a flourish. He caught 15 passes for 299 yards in the final two games of the season, including a 99-yard touchdown reception. As a freshman in 2012, he earned consensus Freshman All-America honors. Following his senior season at Northwestern High School in Miami, Fla., Cooper shined in the Under Armour All-America Game where he had a 75-yard touchdown grab and a 93-yard punt return for a score. Was rated a top-50 prospect in the nation by Rivals.

rut roh

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:

I think that's Parker and White in front, but I would still take Cooper over both. Cooper is complete. He's quick and he's also physical. He should be very successful at the next level. I could be wrong about the sprint, but the narrative seems to say it's Parker and White in front, but we're talking about tenths of a second - Cooper plays really fast in pads, but he's playing the position. He doesn't need to be Willie Gault. I like the player, but he's likely gone. Maybe Fowler will be there.

That's parker in 3rd. The announcers confused the names.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
He's shifty and also a physical guy. I'm pretty sure he'll be starting quite a while wherever he ends up. There is some truth to "football speed". He can turn it on, but he's not a track athlete. Hands are really good. He's just a complete receiver - runs good routes, not shy about blocking and snags the ball. A safe pick and I'm sure he can play outside. He's a guy that has his feet underneath him - great runner. Would be good in the slot as well.

Not much to dislike about Cooper. Wouldn't be disappointed with the pick because I'm fairly certain he'll be a starter for a couple of contracts. Really smooth player who is very physical and competitive.

Again, the announcer's jacked up the order. That's cooper edging out white with Parker in 3rd.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Pace is true to his word he would pick Cooper over White. White reminds me of Stephen Hill. Freak but no production

whites gonna be a star in the nfl kid has all the talent in the world

RisWell

Liked Posts:
had a quick look at the list of all time receiving yards ... 4 of the top 8 was 6-0 and the all time leader barely made it over 6-1 at 6-2. now tell me, which of these five receivers were known for their explosiveness and vertical leap? Jerry Rice, Isaac Bruce, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Tim Brown?

wouldn't it be fair to say that vertical leap is even more important for the bigger receivers that usually lack the quickness and route running ability of the shorter receivers and therefore specializes in catching more contested passes?
Jerry Rice is 6-2 and is the Michael Jordan of receivers. Jump balls, break aways, you name it he did it.

Tim Brown i gotta laugh at that one. He is a big reason on why Al Davis loves speed. Tim Brown had world class speed and did it all in college and won a Heisman as a receiver.

Wayne vertical is good and even though he isnt 6-3 or taller he has the ability to go get it.

Harrison was a 1st team Big East returner at Syracuse and a bad mofo

Bruce ill give you that one but Bruce and Cooper have different play styles.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
from NFL.com

Overview:

As a junior in 2014, he was the winner of the Biletnikoff Award, which goes to the nation's most outstanding receiver and was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy. He was a unanimous first-team All-American and was SEC Offensive Player of the Year. Led the nation in receptions (124) and finished second in yards (1,727) and touchdown receptions (16). Played in 40 games in his three-year Alabama career, starting 30 games and hauling in 31 touchdown receptions. Hampered by foot and toe injuries during sophomore season, but finished season with a flourish. He caught 15 passes for 299 yards in the final two games of the season, including a 99-yard touchdown reception. As a freshman in 2012, he earned consensus Freshman All-America honors. Following his senior season at Northwestern High School in Miami, Fla., Cooper shined in the Under Armour All-America Game where he had a 75-yard touchdown grab and a 93-yard punt return for a score. Was rated a top-50 prospect in the nation by Rivals.

rut roh
Highschool all star game but impressive

RisWell

Liked Posts:

It brings us back to is he worth it at #7 He has to make plays on the NFL level without the luxury of Peyton in a era of 6-2 or taller receivers. So watching these Bama games and highlights convinced us that he has the makings of a superstar. Does his highlight reel or games really look that much better then the other receivers in the draft because Kevin White's does and im not talking about production but god given talent. That position evolved like most positions. Remember when a 300 pound offensive lineman was rare.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You know what wouldn't surprise me? If 4 years from now DeVante Parker was the best receiver in this class. The more I watch of this kid I think he can be the equal of anyone in this draft. I'd still take Cooper first but I think I'd pick him over White.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree... So why didn't he do it before his senior year?
dude didn't really commit his career to playing wr before that. I may be able to find the interview somewhere later where he talks about it.

fact is talent wise cooper isn't on whites level but coopers more polished but since we don't have drake here anymore just look at alshons progression I think ill take the kid with a higher ceiling and that's white

RisWell

Liked Posts:
I agree... So why didn't he do it before his senior year?
Is this a joke about White. He only played 2 years at West Virginia and 2 years at a JC before that. His 1st year which was his junior year he had 35 rec in 9 starts on a horrible football team.

Bama had historically been a run heavy team. Did Blake Sims boost Cooper #s or did Cooper boost Sims #s. Maybe they both benifited from Lane Kiffin who opened there offense up and caught teams by surprise.

White definitely passes the visual like no other.

AMARI COOPER VS KEVIN WHITE || 2015 SCOUTING COMB…: http://youtu.be/ae9eUtE307I

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
You know what wouldn't surprise me? If 4 years from now DeVante Parker was the best receiver in this class. The more I watch of this kid I think he can be the equal of anyone in this draft. I'd still take Cooper first but I think I'd pick him over White.
He reminds me a lot of AJ Green on the field as far as playing style. He's not as big or fast as Green, but poor man's version.

JaySix

Liked Posts:
Jerry Rice is 6-2 and is the Michael Jordan of receivers. Jump balls, break aways, you name it he did it.

Tim Brown i gotta laugh at that one. He is a big reason on why Al Davis loves speed. Tim Brown had world class speed and did it all in college and won a Heisman as a receiver.

Wayne vertical is good and even though he isnt 6-3 or taller he has the ability to go get it.

Harrison was a 1st team Big East returner at Syracuse and a bad mofo

Bruce ill give you that one but Bruce and Cooper have different play styles.

ok Tim Brown , I admit I didn't watch him as much as the others, but the Michael Jordan of receivers and all those other things you wrote you are just (deliberately?) missing my point... route runners.

they were all great great route runners.

Jerry Rice didn't catch the most TDs because he outjumped everyone, he got open and he ran a 4.5+ 40. Wayne got open. Harrison got open. Bruce got open. because they were all great route runners.

guess why most scouts like Cooper so much? he is by far the best Route Runners in this draft. (and he is plenty fast so that won't be a problem)

also when everyone is jacking off to jump ball freaks they forget one thing, for all receivers like Moss, Fitzgerald, Marshall etc etc guys like Stephen Hill and others are forgotten. if being fast, big with a big vertical leap was enough why didn't some of these super freaks make it?

you got it, route running.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
ok Tim Brown , I admit I didn't watch him as much as the others, but the Michael Jordan of receivers and all those other things you wrote you are just (deliberately?) missing my point... route runners.

Jerry Rice didn't catch the most TDs because he outjumped everyone, he got open and he ran a 4.5+ 40. Wayne got open. Harrison got open. Bruce got open. because they were all great route runners.

guess why most scouts like Cooper so much? he is by far the best Route Runners in this draft. (and he is plenty fast so that won't be a problem)

also when everyone is jacking off to jump ball freaks they forget one thing, for all receivers like Moss, Fitzgerald, Marshall etc etc guys like Stephen Hill and others are forgotten. if being fast, big with a big vertical leap was enough why didn't some of these super freaks make it?

white is an excellent route runner and has a higher ceiling in fact its one of his strengths

RisWell

Liked Posts:

Jerry Rice did it all from jump balls to acrobatic catches and route running. Jerry must of had a bad day when he ran the 40 because he out ran defenders at ease for over a decade.

As i stated numerous times in this thread. Those receivers that are 6-1 or under odds are against them and the ones that beat the odds was either explosive or was able to get up there and get it. Special teams is a good way to tell if you have that explosive home run ability as probably over 90% of any receiver who was explosive was a returner at one point or another in his career. You can ignore vertical all you want but its a valuable part of a receivers game especially this day in age where zone coverage is used often.

You can ask anybody who has ever played QB in there life what kind of reciever do you prefer and 9 out of 10 will choose the taller one who has the wing span and height. Why? because there are only a handful of QB that can zip it with perfect accuracy on a consistent basis.

Now back to Cooper. He aint no Marvin Harrison so you can put those dreams to rest. So at best Cooper is a #2 receiver who got drafted to be a #1

Stop digging in the vault on past receivers. We in 2015 and who does Cooper compare to now. I said he is a taller version of Eddie Royal.