Anthony Rizzo guarantees....

Status
Not open for further replies.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
No, St. Louis first at 89 wins. Milwaukee at 87, Cubs at 81, Pirates at 75, Reds at 68.

You got MILW at 87? I'm having trouble not picking them as the doormat of the NL. What are you liking there?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
You got MILW at 87? I'm having trouble not picking them as the doormat of the NL. What are you liking there?

They still have a very decent line up. Very good 2-6 with Gomez, Lucroy, Braun, Ramirez and now Lind. Khris Davis and Jean Segura need to pick up some slack.

Jimmy Nelson has TOR potential and is looking to improve on a rookie year with positives. He and Willy Peralta will be solid behind Garza, Gallardo, and Lohse.

They can also sell off if they sputter........but they're in a fantastic position to me right now. Better than the cubs.

The reds will be the door mat. They're selling.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think what it boils down to is the Cards, Cubs and Brewers, not necessarily in that order, but the Cards are clearly the leader to win the division. I would agree that as of right now Milwaukee would be a consensus two. I have a hard time seeing what the Pirates are doing yet and the Reds are headed downhill for a bit at least. If the Brewers are sellers at the deadline, then that may open up the cubs for a few more wins to get them to the 81-83 total that makes them "not obvious sellers" at the trade deadline, but not enough to make the second wild card spot.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
“I guess you’ll all quote me on that. With all due respect to every team, they’re just as good, talent-wise.

just as good? no they are better.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
The irony is the Cubs haven't done shit to make the roster better. One quality player signing and a bunch of prospects doesn't put you in contention. It takes a LONG time to develop prospects, so Cubs fans are in for a RUDE awakening if they think they're winning a division title this year. Get some more proven guys, like Hamels or Scherzer on the roster, win some games, THEN and only then are Cubs fans allowed to run their mouths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The irony is the Cubs haven't done shit to make the roster better.

C - Castillo
1b - Rizzo
2B - Barney
SS - Castro
3B - Olt.
LF - Lake
CF - Bonifacio
RF - Scherholtz

That was the cubs opening day lineup this past season. Say what you will about their moves this off season but to say their roster isn't better with Soler vs Scherholtz, Baez vs Barney, Valbuena vs Olt and Alcantara vs Bonifacio is being blind. You could also throw in Coghlan vs Lake though that's pretty iffy given his history. Worst case they do prospect things and struggle but anyone denying their potential vs the other players is being oblivious.

Whether or not that means they win the division isn't really the point. The point is improve one of the worst teams over the past 5 years into something respectable. If they get to 80 wins next year and don't win the division so what? Anyone being objective would suggest that is still a successful season given where the team has been. The Rizzo comments are essentially the old cliche of shooting for the moon because even if you fail you end up among the stars.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
C - Castillo
1b - Rizzo
2B - Barney
SS - Castro
3B - Olt.
LF - Lake
CF - Bonifacio
RF - Scherholtz

That was the cubs opening day lineup this past season. Say what you will about their moves this off season but to say their roster isn't better with Soler vs Scherholtz, Baez vs Barney, Valbuena vs Olt and Alcantara vs Bonifacio is being blind. You could also throw in Coghlan vs Lake though that's pretty iffy given his history. Worst case they do prospect things and struggle but anyone denying their potential vs the other players is being oblivious.

Whether or not that means they win the division isn't really the point. The point is improve one of the worst teams over the past 5 years into something respectable. If they get to 80 wins next year and don't win the division so what? Anyone being objective would suggest that is still a successful season given where the team has been. The Rizzo comments are essentially the old cliche of shooting for the moon because even if you fail you end up among the stars.

Point well made, but the jury is still out on the bolded

Liked Posts:
By watching him.

Anyone who has seen 5 minutes of Cubs baseball recently knows Rizzo is a leader. He embraces that role, he stands up for his teammates and has their back. He is unquestionably the leader on that team.

Leadership is something fans like to bestow on players based on their own feelings and the things that they think is important. Not always, but it's often erroneous. The attribute various "qualities" to certain players without being privy to the team dynamic. They have no idea how the other players perceive the same guy to which fans attribute this qualities. For all you know, for every one thing you think Rizzo (or anyone really) he does a million things that are annoying.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Point well made, but the jury is still out on the bolded

Well my feelings on Baez are quite well known here. I've said on multiple occasions I'd trade him. But the thing to remember is just how bad Barney was. He was worth 52 wRC+ in 2013 and 78 last year. As bad as Baez was last season he was worth 51 and there's obviously the potential there with him. As for Alcantara, I've also equally made my man love of him known. One thing to remember is that they called him up before they wanted to last season due to an injury. He then played is way early to stay up and faded down the stretch. Since then he's played extremely well in the winter league. The obvious competition caveat there but you can't really ask for more if you're looking for positive signs for the season.

Either way, with Bonifacio and Barney you're talking about a substantially lower ceilings. Barney vs Baez the floor seems the same. I liked Bonifacio prior to last season so I'd suggest he'd have a higher floor than Alcantara but I don't think it's that big. Obviously with any young player you're going to have potential struggles to worry about but to suggest the team hasn't improved even if one or two of those players don't pan out seems folly to me.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Leadership is something fans like to bestow on players based on their own feelings and the things that they think is important. Not always, but it's often erroneous. The attribute various "qualities" to certain players without being privy to the team dynamic. They have no idea how the other players perceive the same guy to which fans attribute this qualities. For all you know, for every one thing you think Rizzo (or anyone really) he does a million things that are annoying.

He has been called the leader by the players last year.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
chi_g_rizzo01jr_576.jpg

Read the sig, fuckers.

And just throwing this out there -- if the Sox/Cubs garbage continues, I'm going to just start locking threads. I'm tired of people trying to start threads to illicit conversation or to simply have fun and they turn into dick swinging contests.

Here we go -- both teams were, all things considered, lousy last year. Both teams now have plenty of reasons to be optimistic. Leave it at that. If you can't leave it at that and it turns into "SOX SUCK LOLOL" or "CUBS HAVEN'T WON SHIT IN FOREVER LOLOL", I'm locking the thread.

Keep the shit on topic.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
chi_g_rizzo01jr_576.jpg

Read the sig, fuckers.

And just throwing this out there -- if the Sox/Cubs garbage continues, I'm going to just start locking threads. I'm tired of people trying to start threads to illicit conversation or to simply have fun and they turn into dick swinging contests.

Here we go -- both teams were, all things considered, lousy last year. Both teams now have plenty of reasons to be optimistic. Leave it at that. If you can't leave it at that and it turns into "SOX SUCK LOLOL" or "CUBS HAVEN'T WON SHIT IN FOREVER LOLOL", I'm locking the thread.

Keep the shit on topic.

I have the biggest dick. Don't test my half mod powers

Liked Posts:
He has been called the leader by the players last year.

I don't know. It was a real question because people do this a lot. I'll have to take your word for it.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I don't know. It was a real question because people do this a lot. I'll have to take your word for it.
When he challenged the reds dugout and more so the pitcher who name i can't remember now to stand up for his teammates that being a leader...

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The irony is the Cubs haven't done shit to make the roster better. One quality player signing and a bunch of prospects doesn't put you in contention. It takes a LONG time to develop prospects, so Cubs fans are in for a RUDE awakening if they think they're winning a division title this year. Get some more proven guys, like Hamels or Scherzer on the roster, win some games, THEN and only then are Cubs fans allowed to run their mouths.

How can Bryant be better than Olt, or Soler better than Sweeney? Or Ruggiano? Impossible!

How can a full season of Arrieta be expected to be better than 2/3rds?

Or a full season of Hendricks better than 1/2?

All they did was add Lester!! (And he can't be better than Edwin Jackson, can he?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Legit, you can google it. The above post is correct about him challenging the Reds. It's when his teammates called him their leader. The kid has spunk.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
How can Bryant be better than Olt, or Soler better than Sweeney? Or Ruggiano? Impossible!

How can a full season of Arrieta be expected to be better than 2/3rds?

Or a full season of Hendricks better than 1/2?

All they did was add Lester!! (And he can't be better than Edwin Jackson, can he?

Lol great sarcasm. I hope baez and Bryant duck everyone right in the a hole

Status
Not open for further replies.