Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
If i move it up any further, I'll be 2 ft behind the ball. :lol:

I was watching some golf vids last night -- and part of my problem may be shifting my body weight. It may help for me to keep my body tilted slightly back through impact/backswing.

Oh, well......uh, then I got nothing.

That's always my quick fix when I'm slicing during a round.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets

I was watching some golf vids last night -- and part of my problem may be shifting my body weight. It may help for me to keep my body tilted slightly back through impact/backswing.
Very close. The key to drawing the ball is letting your arms pass your body. You cannot slide into the ball and draw it

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

It sounds like your hands are opening up

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
cannot. stop. slicing. driver.

it's hard to say what to do, everybody has their own method for swinging and compensating. the only thing that i can say is that when i'm slicing my drive, i drop down to a 5 wood and for some reason i'm straight as an arrow but lack in the distance. try going Tin Cup style on the course and only bring a shovel, bat and a rake....who knows

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Shot about a 120 today.

Know I can take 20 clunkers off my score.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Shot about a 120 today.

Know I can take 20 clunkers off my score.

divide the beers you drink on the course in half and that should take at least 20 off your score

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
cannot. stop. slicing. driver.

I did this forever. When I bought new clubs 3 years ago, I was at a place with a range to test out 4 sets. The pro at the shop gave me a few tips. He loved my swing but shifted my shoulders so they were more square to the ball. Since then, my slice is gone.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I played on Sunday.... Its frustrating how I can make such great shots when I really keep my eye on the ball and focus on my shot and yet the next 5 shots I cannot match that level of concentration, pull my head up, take my eye off, etc and I will make shots that are just awful.

My driver has always been my big issue, recently I figured out I was not holding my driver head level when I hit the ball and that was causing me to slice almost every time, so now when I make solid contact I can crush some nice straight drives, but this outing I had 3 good ones and 15 bad drives because I could not concentrate on the ball and kept pulling my head up.

Need to work on putting.... I simply cannot putt lol....

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I played on Sunday.... Its frustrating how I can make such great shots when I really keep my eye on the ball and focus on my shot and yet the next 5 shots I cannot match that level of concentration, pull my head up, take my eye off, etc and I will make shots that are just awful.

My driver has always been my big issue, recently I figured out I was not holding my driver head level when I hit the ball and that was causing me to slice almost every time, so now when I make solid contact I can crush some nice straight drives, but this outing I had 3 good ones and 15 bad drives because I could not concentrate on the ball and kept pulling my head up.

Need to work on putting.... I simply cannot putt lol....

My short game helps me stay afloat. I'm + with my pitch and + w/ my putter...and I'm pretty decent w/ my sand wedge, too. Learning to use the lob wedge. Love it when I hit it right. Hate it when I blade it. :lol:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My short game helps me stay afloat. I'm + with my pitch and + w/ my putter...and I'm pretty decent w/ my sand wedge, too. Learning to use the lob wedge. Love it when I hit it right. Hate it when I blade it. :lol:

Kinda same here.... I have a reasonable short game.... 3 Iron through Pitch.... Last year Fathers Day I actually sunk a 40 yard shot with my pitching wedge, one bounce, hit the flag pole, dropped in the cup. Chipping I am hit or miss, hard to get under the ball at times. Putting I think I could be average if I went and practiced a bit.

Driving the ball.... such an important shot, so easy to fuck it up IMO.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Kinda same here.... I have a reasonable short game.... 3 Iron through Pitch.... Last year Fathers Day I actually sunk a 40 yard shot with my pitching wedge, one bounce, hit the flag pole, dropped in the cup. Chipping I am hit or miss, hard to get under the ball at times. Putting I think I could be average if I went and practiced a bit.

Driving the ball.... such an important shot, so easy to fuck it up IMO.

As others have stated, I know a handful of people who "drive" with their 3-5 irons on essentially every tee. They can put it between 200-220, and put it where they want it...the guy I know specifically says it makes it difficult to shoot any hole under par (outside of par 3's), but he's improved his score since going that route.

I played w/ a kid the other day who took every par 4 and par 5 tee shot with his three wood, off the ground. That was how he was comfortable, and he was really good at it. Pulled his driver out once on a par 5, sliced it so bad he took a mulligan and put his driver back in the bag for the rest of the round. :lol:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As others have stated, I know a handful of people who "drive" with their 3-5 irons on essentially every tee. They can put it between 200-220, and put it where they want it...the guy I know specifically says it makes it difficult to shoot any hole under par (outside of par 3's), but he's improved his score since going that route.

I played w/ a kid the other day who took every par 4 and par 5 tee shot with his three wood, off the ground. That was how he was comfortable, and he was really good at it. Pulled his driver out once on a par 5, sliced it so bad he took a mulligan and put his driver back in the bag for the rest of the round. :lol:

Yeah I know people like that as well... my brother in-law swears by this 3-wood he has over his driver. When we golfed this past Sunday we were hitting a Par 4 hole that was only 280 yards away and I called bullshit on his claim that he would put the ball on the green with his 3-wood.... I was right, but that's because he hit it 5 yards past the damned green. Dudes on the green were a little put off lol, we apologized the next hole.

I do not find I am particularly better with my 3 or 4 woods than my Driver so I usually still to the Driver on the tee. I also find I do not like hitting Irons off of a tee at all. When I shoot a Par-3 hole I just drop my ball on the tee grass and hit it. Not sure why I hit that way but I do lol.

One thing I have found I am really good at (because of my awful driver shots) is shooting a low line drive with my 3 Iron out of the rough between trees and shit. I must have pulled that 5 times on Sunday, half swing it, straight and low so it doesn't hit any branches.... back on the fairway to hit up. I also find if I try to swing half or 3/4 with a wood I can hit lower line drives sometimes too, seems odd my swing distance makes that happen, but it does quite often.

Anyone use any tricks for keeping yourself from taking your eye off the ball or pulling your head up early? Besides the obvious "Keep your eye on the ball"

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Kicking myself because I wanted to walk on at Silver Lakes this morning at 530. Saw the clouds, thought otherwise. I could have been done with 18 by now.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Kicking myself because I wanted to walk on at Silver Lakes this morning at 530. Saw the clouds, thought otherwise. I could have been done with 18 by now.

I cannot blame you man, it looks like its gonna pour any minute today.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I cannot blame you man, it looks like its gonna pour any minute today.

Shit it was just going to be me, first one out....from the looks of it I would have only had about 15 minutes of rain.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
All this talk about bombing drives or 3 woods vs. hitting 3-4 iron's off of the tee's to me is all mostly irrelevant. It is all about placing the ball where you feel comfortable with your next shot. Example, my 4 man capt. choice team suffered a lot because we had a kid that could drive 350 yards all day, but it put our approach shots into 1/2 wedge areas where it is all feel for us occasional golfers (which is bad). My other partners and I would wonder if we were not better off playing full swing pitches out on the course rather than these 1/2 swinging feel shots.

The times the bombing drives really mattered where when he could drive a green or on par 5's which made 2nd shot onto the green actually workable. Most of the rest of the time, we always wondered if it didn't cause our scores to suffer.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I have played a lot of tournament golf in my life. There is an old adage in golf that says: "drive for show putt for dough"

That works for the best players in the world where the only thing that matters is birdies. But for the average golfer it doesnt apply. Because if you can't hit fairways then you cant play.

Hitting 200 yards off the tee is always better than 250 (OB) or behind a tree.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have played a lot of tournament golf in my life. There is an old adage in golf that says: "drive for show putt for dough"

That works for the best players in the world where the only thing that matters is birdies. But for the average golfer it doesnt apply. Because if you can't hit fairways then you cant play.

Hitting 200 yards off the tee is always better than 250 (OB) or behind a tree.

I always hit fairways Omelete.... whether its the hole I am on or some other hole's fairway :lol:

I know what ya mean though, I am so much more excited to hit straight than to hit long....