CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Dude, don't let anyone at the Country Club give you shit if you're not playing up to "their standards." How else are you supposed to get better if you aren't playing the tough courses?

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm looking to get back into it. Played a bit when I was younger. Need new clubs. A guy I work w/ recommended getting Ping Eye2's since I've had a tad bit of experience but I'll need to work on my stroke....been looking...tough finding good left handed clubs.

What about you? What clubs do you prefer? What courses do you play? What's your handicap? Do you hit from the ladies tees?

Everyone in the thread gets a "thx" if we go a week without hearing anything about mini-golf.

Does Mario Golf count?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Dude, don't let anyone at the Country Club give you shit if you're not playing up to "their standards." How else are you supposed to get better if you aren't playing the tough courses?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
At my best point I was a 4 handicap golfer playing between 70-100 rounds of golf a year. Many in local tournaments. I was also the Golf Chairman and on the board of directors for a private country club for 7 years so I understand how to set up and administer golf programs and all the issues that go along.

That said, we are all hack golfers except the very best in the world. No reason to feel self conscious. What you really should worry about is etiquette and the rules. Bad golfer can play fast and good golfer can play slow and drag a course to it's knees. It's about having fun or competing whichever you like. having good, fitted equipment is important not the newest. The best player I ever played with used a 45 year old putter.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
New driver is frkn sweet!

What's everybody's head covers? I'm going to get some new ones...and not sure which way to go....classic uppity head covers....or some fun ones...
Got some Bears ones. :D

True post is truthful.

Played with some guys from work a couple of times this summer. Did best-shot both times, but the first time our group had 8 stinkin pars and a bogey.

The guy I was golfing with called all the pars stinkin :facepalm:

One thing with my driver, I'm a lefty and mine veer left, left as into on the road next to the course. Any tips for that.

Other than that I'm satisfied with my game, as Ommy says, we're all there to drink beer and have fun :D.

Last edited:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How good or bad were ya? :deer:

We used a few of my shots. Probably 50% of the other guys. 40% of mine and 10% to the lady in our group.

In a 4 person best-shot, we play the best ball, so I couldn't tell you what my actual score was.

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:

True post is truthful.

Played with some guys from work a couple of times this summer. Did best-shot both times, but the first time our group had 8 stinkin pars and a bogey.

The guy I was golfing with called all the pars stinkin :facepalm:

One thing with my driver, I'm a lefty and mine veer left, left as into on the road next to the course. Any tips for that.

Other than that I'm satisfied with my game, as Ommy says, we're all there to drink beer and have fun :D.
Not me and you buddy we can't :tongue:

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
As a hacker I've golfed with a scratch golfer before. As long as you don't break etiquette and don't slow play down, you should be ok. I know I enjoyed watching him shoot a 72.

These guys get pissy when they go over 70. I am awful. Think I will pass while they still have respect for me professionally :)

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
These guys get pissy when they go over 70. I am awful. Think I will pass while they still have respect for me professionally :)
Again, I say fuck that. Especially if you're really just starting out. Other thing to remember is this: golf is a pretty visual game. You watch these guys that are good, and start to develop some of the habits that they do around certain shots/stances/grips.

Also, if they already have respect for you there should be no reason why you couldn't ask for tips and see what works.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Again, I say fuck that. Especially if you're really just starting out. Other thing to remember is this: golf is a pretty visual game. You watch these guys that are good, and start to develop some of the habits that they do around certain shots/stances/grips.

Also, if they already have respect for you there should be no reason why you couldn't ask for tips and see what works.

This.

I'll add as well, if people lose respect for you over your golf game, those aren't people I'd want to associate with. JMO.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
"Lose respect" was probably a poor choice of words. "Catch endless shit" is probably a better description.

Reactions: X

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

funny -- I got these for Christmas last year. Just now got a chance to use them.

yhst-4637284245310_2271_241008359

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't drive to save my life....but I've been told my irons are blessed :lol: I hit extremely well with them. As someone who is still learning to drive, sometimes I tee off just from the grass (no tee) with my 7 iron :tiptoe:

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I can't drive to save my life....but I've been told my irons are blessed :lol: I hit extremely well with them. As someone who is still learning to drive, sometimes I tee off just from the grass (no tee) with my 7 iron :tiptoe:

I found out I was gripping my driver too tightly...I loosened up and just repeated the same swing i do with my irons and it straightened out. I don't have a long drive (a good one for me is 240 yds), but I can keep it roughly where I want it.

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
I found out I was gripping my driver too tightly...I loosened up and just repeated the same swing i do with my irons and it straightened out. I don't have a long drive (a good one for me is 240 yds), but I can keep it roughly where I want it.

I think part of my problem is with the driver I swing way to hard...240 is not bad at all my friend

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
How else are you supposed to get better if you aren't playing the tough courses?

I get your point, but wanted to clarify for others.

You do not learn the game on a tough course. You learn it at the range, from repetition. You improve your game there. Even the pros aren;t practicing their game on the courses they play prior to Thursday. They are practicing the course, but their game improvement all happens on the range.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Check your feet alignment. Make sure that the ball is on the outside of your right foot by an inch or so.
Make sure you aren't reaching for the ball. Your drive should lay right at belt line comfortably prior to your swing.
You are a young man so you should be playing with steel shafted clubs. Many use graphite and have issues because they swing too fast.
A lesson or two wouldn't hurt.

All that said, when I had my bad hook, I just adjusted where I swang to allow the ball to land in the fairway on a big curve.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yea, but none of us have respect for you (edit: or give you endless shit), and you're still here as a moderator... :elephant: :rimshot: