CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I get your point, but wanted to clarify for others.

You do not learn the game on a tough course. You learn it at the range, from repetition. You improve your game there. Even the pros aren;t practicing their game on the courses they play prior to Thursday. They are practicing the course, but their game improvement all happens on the range.
I disagree about the range. For a number of reasons:
1. More often than not, you're hitting off a mat.
2. The yardage markers are often wrong.
3. Some, not all, but some do not have sand traps to practice in.
4. I have yet to see a range that has water to try short shots over.
5. You're on flat ground for the most part.

All of these things put together, and really, I think the range is a waste of time. Just my opinion - but I think playing a round of either 9 or 18 is better than the range. You're point about repetition is well taken, but if you're a golfer just starting out you're going to be taking a lot of swings anyways.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think part of my problem is with the driver I swing way to hard...240 is not bad at all my friend

I think a lot of people do, myself included. After I adjusted my grip and my force w/ my driver last time out, I was avg'g aroun 215-220, which is shorter than I'd like, but it's what I have to do to keep it out of the rough :shrug:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I disagree about the range. For a number of reasons:
1. More often than not, you're hitting off a mat.
2. The yardage markers are often wrong.
3. Some, not all, but some do not have sand traps to practice in.
4. I have yet to see a range that has water to try short shots over.
5. You're on flat ground for the most part.

All of these things put together, and really, I think the range is a waste of time. Just my opinion - but I think playing a round of either 9 or 18 is better than the range. You're point about repetition is well taken, but if you're a golfer just starting out you're going to be taking a lot of swings anyways.

1. Not on a good range, you are hitting off of grass
2. Not on a good range
3. True, so go to a range that has one
4. True, but you don't need water in front of you to hit over it, just call it 40 yards of "water" (actually grass) to not be wet. It works.
5. True, but again, good ranges give you some roll for pitch type shots.

Again, what do the pros do? Hour after hour at the range.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think a lot of people do, myself included. After I adjusted my grip and my force w/ my driver last time out, I was avg'g aroun 215-220, which is shorter than I'd like, but it's what I have to do to keep it out of the rough :shrug:

Hey, nothign wrong with 215-220 drives in the fairway. Nothing at all.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I knew a guy that couldn't hit his woods at all and was like a decent handicap. Whereever possible he'd use his 7 iron which he hit 170+ with accuracy.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have a terrible habit of trying to hit a golfball like I'm swinging a baseball bat. It make for a wicked slice if you don't compensate. So I started lining up my drive straight, and twisting my hips and shoulders like I was hitting a baseball and it really straightened it out for me. I haven't played in a while though. I need to get back to it.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey, nothign wrong with 215-220 drives in the fairway. Nothing at all.

No, but it would make a difference if you're playing from back tee's... Some tee's 220 straight won't get you too a fairway. I don't consider myself a long ball striker and I hit drives 250-270 yards on a 3/4 swing...

brett05, I have a buddy of mine polar opposite to yours, he has almost a full set of woods from 14 wood down to a driver cause he can't hit irons. He's a big guy too, 6'2 220 lbs, p90x'r, can't hit iron's for anything, but can bust out a 14 wood at 150yards... too funny.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
1. Not on a good range, you are hitting off of grass
2. Not on a good range
3. True, so go to a range that has one
4. True, but you don't need water in front of you to hit over it, just call it 40 yards of "water" (actually grass) to not be wet. It works.
5. True, but again, good ranges give you some roll for pitch type shots.

Again, what do the pros do? Hour after hour at the range.
I'm not saying the idea of going to the range is bad. I'm just saying that for me it's better to practice by playing. In the end we are all duffers (for the most part - definitely speaking for me there) so it makes much more sense to me to just play. When I do go to the range, I try to practice hooks and fades with my irons - I can't remember the last time I swung a wood at a range.

As for finding a good range - I think those are few and far between. The one that DP linked is an hour away from me at least - doesn't make much sense. I'd rather go to a place like Mid-Iron in Lemont and play a ball from the whites, and the ladies tees to practice different shots.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I'm not saying the idea of going to the range is bad. I'm just saying that for me it's better to practice by playing. In the end we are all duffers (for the most part - definitely speaking for me there) so it makes much more sense to me to just play. When I do go to the range, I try to practice hooks and fades with my irons - I can't remember the last time I swung a wood at a range.

As for finding a good range - I think those are few and far between. The one that DP linked is an hour away from me at least - doesn't make much sense. I'd rather go to a place like Mid-Iron in Lemont and play a ball from the whites, and the ladies tees to practice different shots.

I think Troy Zeigler let's you hit off grass off of 75th street if I remember correctly in what...Woodridge?

Dogstar

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
  2. Wisconsin Badgers
Do you hit from the ladies tees?

No, but I've hit a lady standing at a tee.

I went to a driving range with a friend of mine and we bought a couple of buckets. About half-way through them, I started getting bored. Now I've replayed the next scene 1000x in my head, and to this day I still haven't been able to figure out how I could slice the ball so badly that it hit the little Asian lady standing 6 or 7 spots to the right of me.

I think it was part youth, part goofing around, and part freaky physics... but all I do know for sure is that the ball flew off at about a 20 degree angle, ricocheted off the corner of the tee mat right next to her and thumped her good in the calf. She went down like someone pulled out a rug from under her. I felt horrible... for about 30 seconds until my butt-head friend started laughing like it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen.

And that, my friends, was the last time I ever swung a golf club.
I never took the sport seriously anyway.

Last edited:

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Playing today for the 3rd time in 6 days :yeah:

Going back to the course I played on tuesday. #CantWait

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Curse you and your dry weather....

hah, we had rain from last wed-sun morning w/ very little let-up. Since then, though, we've had a pop up shower once, and it's been unseasonably cool sense. The high today is around 80 with all kinds of sunshine.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Curse you and your dry weather....

as it turns out, you did just that. 0% chance of rain today - yet started pouring an hour before tee time. :pity:

Played the last two holes in the dark. :facepalm:

Monster

Liked Posts:
smooth is fast... fast is long...
hard means nothing in golf...

Every swing is the same... at least in the beginning... same swing, same distance, same contact,.... that is the key to being consistent which is the true key to golf...

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
cannot. stop. slicing. driver.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Move it up in your stance.

If i move it up any further, I'll be 2 ft behind the ball. :lol:

I was watching some golf vids last night -- and part of my problem may be shifting my body weight. It may help for me to keep my body tilted slightly back through impact/backswing.