2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Honestly, had Cutler been injured for the games versus the Titans or Jags he probably would still have a job with the Bears. But he had to fill in for Cutler against the Texans and Niners. 2 of the best defenses last year. Not saying we should have kept him, because I have been saying all offseason we should have drafted a QB. But I don't think many backup QB's no matter if they are a game manager or a gunslinger would have fared any better. I also don't think the outcome of those games would have been different with Cutler playing.

Plus this year we have an upgraded o-line, a huge upgrade at TE, a competent OC, and an offensive minded HC. If we didn't have those changes this year I wouldn't be saying that a game manager type QB can be successful in our offense.

I think we win the Houston game if Cutler does not get hurt and then make the playoffs. The SF game didn't matter, that was dud from everyone, you could have had Rodgers, Brees or Brady that night and we still get blown out.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I think we win the Houston game if Cutler does not get hurt and then make the playoffs. The SF game didn't matter, that was dud from everyone, you could have had Rodgers, Brees or Brady that night and we still get blown out.

Bottom line for me is why get rid of a QB (Cutler) when he has such a high ceiling if you are able to finally get him to elevate his floor?

At his best, Cutler is an elite QB - franchise worthy, up there with the best of the best.

Problem is, at his worst, he's Rex Friggin Grossman.

He needs to have a higher floor when things don't go right so that the team only has a certain level of "bad" from the position. I think anyone with a level head would agree on this.

The problem here is this - how the hell do you accurate assess Cutler when he has been given no line help, no receiver help, and just expected to make everything better himself with no real supporting cast under Angelo's tenure? Can you even call what they did, with Martz and Tice a fair evaluation period?

Any other QB I'd say he's done, ruined.

But I don't give up on Cutler yet, because I don't see the quit. He isn't lifeless in his eyes like other QBs that the Bears have shittily ground up in their cesspool over the years. He's looked God awful in games, but then he usually bounces back and at least has a decent game - he doesn't have 2 stinkers in a row usually, so he's hardly spiralling downward. And anyone with eyes can agree the line play has been abysmal. All you need to know is 3 and potentially 4 new starters on the line this year to get confirmation of that.

So while everyone is trying to paint this as some sort of make or break year for Jay, I see it as we finally get to see what he can fully do. Still learning a new offense, and there will still be some clunkiness from that, but even that should show some real potential within the system and flashes.

Beyond that, I think you sign Jay for at least 3 more years. You have no one in the pipeline, and you can get yourself into real trouble by feeling you "have" to draft a quarterback - some years are just shit for that, like the Year we took Rex - the ONLY QB from that class that ended up any good was Carson Palmer, and he was #1 overall. Cutler is still better insurance against a bad move in the draft, and at least then you have coverage if you do draft a QB to eventually replace Jay.

TheWinman

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bottom line for me is why get rid of a QB (Cutler) when he has such a high ceiling if you are able to finally get him to elevate his floor?

At his best, Cutler is an elite QB - franchise worthy, up there with the best of the best.

Problem is, at his worst, he's Rex Friggin Grossman.

He needs to have a higher floor when things don't go right so that the team only has a certain level of "bad" from the position. I think anyone with a level head would agree on this.

The problem here is this - how the hell do you accurate assess Cutler when he has been given no line help, no receiver help, and just expected to make everything better himself with no real supporting cast under Angelo's tenure? Can you even call what they did, with Martz and Tice a fair evaluation period?

Any other QB I'd say he's done, ruined.

But I don't give up on Cutler yet, because I don't see the quit. He isn't lifeless in his eyes like other QBs that the Bears have shittily ground up in their cesspool over the years. He's looked God awful in games, but then he usually bounces back and at least has a decent game - he doesn't have 2 stinkers in a row usually, so he's hardly spiralling downward. And anyone with eyes can agree the line play has been abysmal. All you need to know is 3 and potentially 4 new starters on the line this year to get confirmation of that.

So while everyone is trying to paint this as some sort of make or break year for Jay, I see it as we finally get to see what he can fully do. Still learning a new offense, and there will still be some clunkiness from that, but even that should show some real potential within the system and flashes.

Beyond that, I think you sign Jay for at least 3 more years. You have no one in the pipeline, and you can get yourself into real trouble by feeling you "have" to draft a quarterback - some years are just shit for that, like the Year we took Rex - the ONLY QB from that class that ended up any good was Carson Palmer, and he was #1 overall. Cutler is still better insurance against a bad move in the draft, and at least then you have coverage if you do draft a QB to eventually replace Jay.

I agree 100% with your assessment.
I'm getting ready for the usual crowd on here to be all over Cutler the first half of the season when the offense is still in the process of figuring it all out and putting up only spurts of high output. Second half of the season is when we see what this offense can do. IMO

TheWinman

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL yeah sure.

You are quickly surpassing Guapo as the worst poster on here.

We lost 13-6 with a horrific Campbell finishing that game. WE score at least a TD in the 2nd half with Cutler.
I would have to somehow surpass you before I could claim that tag as the worst poster, this is impossible.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We lost 13-6 with a horrific Campbell finishing that game. WE score at least a TD in the 2nd half with Cutler.

Yeah, 'cos Cutler has such a habit of playing well against good teams.

More likely than a game winning TD pass would be a pick to seal it for Houston.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Why is that funny? Most teams have a better chance of a comeback with their starting quarterback playing.

TheWinman and Guapo are good posters.

It doesn't matter what you say anymore, the fact you said Guapo is a good poster destroys any credibility you have

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
It doesn't matter what you say anymore, the fact you said Guapo is a good poster destroys any credibility you have

Just because you, bearmick and maybe four other posters disagree with someone doesn't mean they are bad posters. It's always the same posters that are disagreeing with Guapo.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, 'cos Cutler has such a habit of playing well against good teams.

More likely than a game winning TD pass would be a pick to seal it for Houston.

Not true. You see, 2012 Cutler had 19 TDs and 14 INTs. Therefore, statistically, it was more likely that he would throw a TD than a pick. Then you extrapolate the amount of improved TD to INT ratio in the second half and you get a eleventybillion percent likelyhood that Cutler scores a TD in the second half of that game. Plus he had already thrown 2 picks so he was obviously due a TD.

#hopethathelps

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
1313148949153.gif

Do us a favor and read through what I actually wrote...in no way shape or form did I say we need to dump Cutler this year and grab a game managing QB this year. All I have said is if Cutler can't improve his efficiency than don't sign him "no matter what" (like the original article states) and draft a new QB. because in this offense we can get away with a game manager. again not saying that is the ideal QB for us but don't see a need in signing Cutler if he can't be more efficient.

I can never tell if posters here just jump to conclusions on purpose out of laziness or lack of comprehension?

Yeah let's aim high and go get a game manager qb. I think Cutler will be fine.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not sure what other option people see.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
LOL yeah sure.

You are quickly surpassing Guapo as the worst poster on here.

Why don't u stick to making posts with half the facts so we all can easily correct u and then laugh at u for being the most illogical poster....by a landslide

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
I would have to somehow surpass you before I could claim that tag as the worst poster, this is impossible.

Don't post the facts of the game....u will confuse Bearmick. He's at coloring book level.