onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
LOL. Cutler>Orton so why care about the minutia? One important difference between Kyle and Jay is Jay being able to pull a great plays out of his ass by putting the ball where others can't. That he sucked in the 1st 1/2 of the champ game, partially because the knee was alredy unstable, doesn't mean a healthy Jay was going to continue to do so. Not claiming hhe would have helped win that game. Just that we don't have a clue about it. The guy can make big plays that can also backfire but at least he gives you a shot if the D plays poorly on a given day etc. Big games like big plays when your behind the 8 ball.

Another thing about Kyle is his immobility. It's why he would seemingly always have a dinged ankle, even with Denver's "best Oline in the game" I mean really. That line is always brought up as why Cutler had success yet evry Qb they tried until Manning was a fail there even after the D went worst to VG.

Kyle had that unbelievably lucky streak that obviously wasn't real. His a good QB now and I wish he was our back up but there's no comparison overall.

So what we need is an Aaron Rodgers type of QB.

This year will definitely be the deciding year if Cutler can play within the system and not force the ball resulting in stupid errors.

Not sure why Broc even made the comparison to begin with.

Last edited:

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I am in no way saying Kyle Orton is who I want, nor am I saying I prefer one style to another. I'm just saying with the pieces we have in place we can have success and possibly even make the playoffs with a QB who is more of a game manager/efficient with the ball. Basically saying that signing Cutler is not a "no matter what" situation.

I don't think anyone is...just the term "game manager" is a scary word around here. You toss that out there and every Bear fan thinks Kyle Orton.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone is...just the term "game manager" is a scary word around here. You toss that out there and every Bear fan thinks Kyle Orton.

Well yeah, he has been called a game manager QB his entire career. No wonder he has such love for Jack Daniels

vpKWr.gif

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
To quote Duh-ril Drake...

that's what I said!!

Love the .gif

bubbashucker

Liked Posts:
In the past 3 years here are the QB's that were drafted in the first 4 rounds:

2013 - EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Tyler Wilson, Landy Jones.
2012 - Andrew Luck, RG3, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, Brock Osweiler, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins
2011 - Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, Ryan Mallett

The bolded names are all starters for their teams, the names I italicized have stepped in and either started or played when the starter went down with injury. I didn't include the 2013 draft picks on the starter list because we don't know, but if I had to guess EJ Manuel may end up being the day 1 starter, Smith and Glennon could potentially be the starters by the end of the year and Landy Jones may see some time for injury relief.

Of the ones bolded Weeden, Gabbert, Ponder, and Locker are the worse of the bunch...and Ponder still led his team to the playoffs. Foles and Cousins have shown promise in the time that they have played.

QB's can be found, you are going to get some guys who aren't that great, you are going to get some guys who can get the job done and be average to maybe even a solid QB, and if we can get lucky we can snag a franchise QB. Point being if our front office sticks with the mentality of there is no one better out there and not take a shot at a QB then we won't ever know who we can get.

I was all for drafting a QB this past year, so we can have that back up plan if Cutler doesn't improve or even regresses. Since we didn't draft a QB, there is no point in handcuffing us to a player who just isn't improving on his weaknesses and taking us to the next level. I'm not saying we are guaranteed to find that QB to take us to the next level in the draft...but if we can get someone who can give us similar production for a lot less than what Cutler would cost than why not?

The only problem with this is that 8 of the 11 bolded QB's were taken in round 1. Of the other three, two were taken in the top 5 picks of rd 2 and only Wilson was taken lower.

Not to mention that each and every team that drafted these QB's had a tenuous QB situation, at best, when they were drafted. While I completely agree that Cutler needs to step up his game, the Bears QB situation is nowhere near as bad as those teams were prior to drafting their QB's.

Taking a look back at the drafts, there was not much the Bears could have done, even if they were inclined to. After the 2011 season, there was no way we were taking Dalton or Kaep at #29. Not with the way Cutler played prior to injury and our glaring need at O-line (we took Carimi at #29).

and in 2012, I suppose we could have taken weeden (#22 overall) instead of Shea, but we really had no shot at Wilson, since he went #75 overall. Recall Bears traded up to get Alshon, then did not pick again until #79.

As has been stated ad nausium, it is not easy to get a starting QB, unless you draft one in the first round. I think that starting QB was waaaaay down the list of needs for our first rounder, no matter what your opinion of Cutler is.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh wait, so injuries are a valid excuse now? But I thought we all agreed it was Cutler's fault they lost the NFCCG for not wanting to play on a blown out knee?

People don`t go out clubbing with a blown out knee. Was he injured? Absolutely. Lets not make it any more than that.

F Rodgers

Liked Posts:
Getting burned out of backing up Cutler but I'll speak my piece, as I usually do. It's the one subject that annoys me to know end: The general dislike of Cutler

The Bears have had 4 offensive coordinators in 5 years, I cannot name a qb who has been successful with that many different systems. None of those coaches have been interviewed(besides Martz) for the same position elsewhere in the league. If anything, they were demoted. That leads me to believe the rest of the league saw that it was not Jay Cutler who was the issue, but the mind of the offensive staff. If Cutler was the issue, Tice, Martz or Turner would've been snagged up and the explanation would be the OC had crappy qb to work with, and not his fault for their mediocrity. (I.E.- Mike Mccarthy in SF).

The Chicago Bears have had horrendous wide recievers upto the Brandon Marshall trade. If we were to name the Bears starting #1's during Cutlers tenure here it would look something alone the lines of this. Roy Williams( #1 reciever...), Devin Hester, Rashied Davis, Devin Aromashdu and Jonny Knox; Am I missing anyone? Besides Earl Bennett, none of them have or were regular contributors on the offensive side of ball. Nor were they or should have been deemed #1 recievers. Again, if it was the crappy qb of Cutler, they would have found jobs giving them the same oppurunity here, but alas.. None did.

The offensive line has been a sticking point with me since the year they didn't retain Ruben Brown for 1 more season. It's been awful, and I mean... Awful. They have given up on Cutler alone, 118 sacks in less than 3 seasons( Does anyone have a stat for HITS included?); that's insane. Granted those numbers should be even higher if Cutler didn't have the athletiscim that he does. Problem lies in that doesn't even tell the whol story of that joke of a line. We saw just how much worse it truly is when Jason Campbell had to run for his life as if the fear of god rattled him at the end of the 1st quarter. I think the line was exposed to just how bad it was during that game, and it showed. Again, if Cutler was the culprit, I'm sure some of the linemen we had since his tenure would have left and gone on to enjoy a very solid career with a qb who doesn't hold ball too long. Yet again, only one I'm remembering is Chilo going to the Cardinals with a chance to start, and Carimi getting a fresh one in Tampa.

I'm not a stat guy, but according to an article posted November 26, 2012, the Chicago Bears were 25-10 with him starting and finishing a game since 2010(after his fist year with Turner). Without Cutler? The Chicago Bears are 2-7. If the defense was the main point of this team(which it was) and Cutler didn't have much to do with that stat; then what happened in '11 when Cutler went out with t he thumb, and Caleb Hanie put a team with a 7-1 record to missing the playoffs? I think that is showing everyone the importance of Cutler. That's insane! Sidenote: Just another reason why Mike Martz was th scapegoat for Lovie's incompetence, he never wanted Hanie as the #2; and I think we all saw why. Cutler/Martz were on fire during that '11 stretch before his injury, oh what could have been a very interesting season ending in jury. Ugh. Now some on here think Matt Blanchard is some future qb?(lol). Cmon!

Point being, the last position I'm worried about is th QB. I'm worried about the LB's, DL and OL. Not th WR, QB or TE(fingers crossed). It's sad that Chicagoans follow the media so blindly to tell them to hate Cutler because of camera shots and journalists, it really is. I prefer Nashville and Austin over my homecity, but for football I always said we in Chicago know the most. Now? I just don't know bout that anymore.
I wish I can give you 2 thanks for this post.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure why Broc even made the comparison to begin with.

Huh? You're the guy with Orton's balls in your mouth trying to sell us on how great he was in 08.

When I pointed out what a load of horseshit that revisionist history was you predictably responded with the terrible excuse about his ankle... which I why I brought up the NFCCG since people still shit on him for riding the bike and not going back out there on a blown out knee. But yet we're supposed to now bow down to the alter of sir Kyle Orton for his lil boo-boo sprained ankle and act like he had some incredible year in 08... the double-standards here are laughable.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Huh? You're the guy with Orton's balls in your mouth trying to sell us on how great he was in 08.

Why always the gay reference with you...are you a homophobe?

When I pointed out what a load of horseshit that revisionist history was you predictably responded with the terrible excuse about his ankle... which I why I brought up the NFCCG since people still shit on him for riding the bike and not going back out there on a blown out knee. But yet we're supposed to now bow down to the alter of sir Kyle Orton for his lil boo-boo sprained ankle and act like he had some incredible year in 08... the double-standards here are laughable.

Again...not sure how your comparison is valid.

Bears rushing Orton back because they were in position to win the division=Cutler not playing the 2nd half in the NFCCG.

Got it

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am in no way saying Kyle Orton is who I want, nor am I saying I prefer one style to another. I'm just saying with the pieces we have in place we can have success and possibly even make the playoffs with a QB who is more of a game manager/efficient with the ball. Basically saying that signing Cutler is not a "no matter what" situation.

that's what Jason Campbell was supposed to be. How did that turn out?

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
that's what Jason Campbell was supposed to be. How did that turn out?

Honestly, had Cutler been injured for the games versus the Titans or Jags he probably would still have a job with the Bears. But he had to fill in for Cutler against the Texans and Niners. 2 of the best defenses last year. Not saying we should have kept him, because I have been saying all offseason we should have drafted a QB. But I don't think many backup QB's no matter if they are a game manager or a gunslinger would have fared any better. I also don't think the outcome of those games would have been different with Cutler playing.

Plus this year we have an upgraded o-line, a huge upgrade at TE, a competent OC, and an offensive minded HC. If we didn't have those changes this year I wouldn't be saying that a game manager type QB can be successful in our offense.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
Honestly, had Cutler been injured for the games versus the Titans or Jags he probably would still have a job with the Bears. But he had to fill in for Cutler against the Texans and Niners. 2 of the best defenses last year. Not saying we should have kept him, because I have been saying all offseason we should have drafted a QB. But I don't think many backup QB's no matter if they are a game manager or a gunslinger would have fared any better. I also don't think the outcome of those games would have been different with Cutler playing.

Plus this year we have an upgraded o-line, a huge upgrade at TE, a competent OC, and an offensive minded HC. If we didn't have those changes this year I wouldn't be saying that a game manager type QB can be successful in our offense.

Yes we have a potentially exciting offense this season so why not turn it into a snore fest by playing a "game manager". Fuck That !!!

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Yes we have a potentially exciting offense this season so why not turn it into a snore fest by playing a "game manager". Fuck That !!!

I'm fine with the Rich Gannon type if it means winning football games

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams

1313148949153.gif

Do us a favor and read through what I actually wrote...in no way shape or form did I say we need to dump Cutler this year and grab a game managing QB this year. All I have said is if Cutler can't improve his efficiency than don't sign him "no matter what" (like the original article states) and draft a new QB. because in this offense we can get away with a game manager. again not saying that is the ideal QB for us but don't see a need in signing Cutler if he can't be more efficient.

I can never tell if posters here just jump to conclusions on purpose out of laziness or lack of comprehension?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
1313148949153.gif

Do us a favor and read through what I actually wrote...in no way shape or form did I say we need to dump Cutler this year and grab a game managing QB this year. All I have said is if Cutler can't improve his efficiency than don't sign him "no matter what" (like the original article states) and draft a new QB. because in this offense we can get away with a game manager. again not saying that is the ideal QB for us but don't see a need in signing Cutler if he can't be more efficient.

I can never tell if posters here just jump to conclusions on purpose out of laziness or lack of comprehension?

It might be a combo of all 3...depends on the poster.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I see what you saying now. You and I are on the same page then. I just believe that Cutler will improve as well with these changes...IDK how you lean. However, if Cutler doesn't improve, I honestly don't mind starting Blanchard.