"Bandwagon" Blackhawks Fans?

hotkarl840

Liked Posts:
Long time lurker, very infrequent poster here.  I’d like to say that I cared enough about the Hawks for a sufficient period of time to not be considered a bandwagon fan.  Unfortunately, I can’t deny the fact that I never went to a game until November of 2007.</p>

</p>

I’m not sure why that is, exactly.  One of the biggest was not having played the game.  I might have asked to join a league once but with Little League and Pop Warner already my parents probably didn’t want to commit the time and money for another sport.  When I was a little older my brother and a few friends would attempt to play roller hockey in the street but it was never more than screwing around.  We only had two sticks for one but the main reason for that dying off was I couldn’t skate worth a damn.  I still can’t. </p>

</p>

The biggest was that they simply weren’t on t.v.  A lot of people have used that reasoning but it really is a significant one.  My parents also refused to get cable so that even shut out the possibility of road games, most of which would’ve been on too late anyway.  By the time I was in college and later, got my own apartment, I’d watch parts of games here and there but it never really took.  Doubling the amount of games available, seeing a home game, hearing a Wayne Mesmer anthem performance and the roar of the Stadium crowd at an earlier age might have helped.</p>

</p>

I can definitely say that I was never one of those “who cares about hockey?â€� people.  I started reading the sports section of our paper at an early age and would always see how the Blackhawks did regardless of how the season was going.  My cousin’s boyfriend at the time had season tickets and he would always give me some of the fan giveaway items at family dinners.  I had several team pictures, pennants, cards and a youth-sized sweater that I loved so much I’d sleep in it.  Jack O’Callahan lived across the street from one of my other cousins for a few years and meeting a real live Hawk was one of the coolest things ever for a kid!</p>

</p>

I’d always watch Olympic hockey when it was on and I can tell you for certain that I watched pretty much every game during Fox’s brief run with that goofy streaking puck experiment.</p>

I have to unfortunately admit though that there was nothing stopping me in my 20s from picking up some cheap tickets on my own or making an actual point to watch a few away games in my apartment rather than just flipping around. </p>

</p>

Even the game I went to in ’07 was courtesy of free tickets.  In fairness to me, my ex was telling me about all the free shit vendors would offer her at her new job.  I believe the conversation went something like this:  “One guy even asked me if I ever wanted his company’s Blackhawks tickets, but I was like, pfffff.â€�  Me:  “What are you, NUTS?  Snatch those fuckers up!â€�  She got the tix but she didn’t even go the first time.  (Now that I think about it, my ex fits the “Bandwaggonerâ€� label quite perfectly.  It wouldn’t have surprised me to see her at the parade today holding up a sign that said, “I want to blow you, Kaner!â€�)</p>

</p>

Anyway, the point of this diatribe is that one live game was all it took for me to be hooked.  I registered for the O-Boards the day after and read the comments during games to get a much better understanding of the sport.  A lot of you guys here were some of the more knowledgeable posters over there so I made the jump as well.</p>

</p>

I still don’t feel comfortable commenting on anything concerning the skills or faults of specific players but I’ve definitely learned a lot over the years to come off as pretty damn knowledgeable if a friend or date asks a question or if some jackass says something idiotic at a bar.  You guys were the start of that and on this celebration day, I’d just like to say, Thanks!</p>

</p>

…..well, MOST of you at least.  Some of you are a buncha jerks  <span style="font-family:wingdings;"> :icon-lol:</span><span style="font-family:wingdings;"> </span></p>

supraman

Liked Posts:
No we are all a buncha jerks, just of varying degree</p>

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great post hotkarl and I love the name. You should post more often.</p>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Everyone was a new fan at one point and probably knew very little about the game. Hell some of the fans who have been watching for decades still know shit about the game (myself including..since it changes every year). And im sure some bitching about the new bandwagoners were probably bandwagon jumpers themselves at some point when the Hawks were good and would have never started cheering for them until then. There is so much hypocrisy with some older fans...and so much self deserving bull shit. Sometimes the hardcore fan is more annoying than any bandwagon fan. The hardcore ones come with unbelievable bias sometimes...which is the most annoying thing in any fan.</p>

</p>

I'm with Supra..who fucking cares. End of the day cheer for the god damn team and don't worry so much about what the new fans are saying. Maybe fucking teach them a little about it besides snapping at them. At some point we all had to be taught things. As for the fans in the crowd that are annoying? Welcome to live pro sports..they are always going to be there and in every city. Learn to tune them out..its not that difficult.</p>

R K

Todays TV Gems...</p>

</p>

</p>

My Favorite player is "Toes"...</p>

</p>

My Favorite player is "Patrick Shaw"...</p>

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="hotkarl840" data-cid="203644" data-time="1372460259">
<div>

They told me the cameras weren't rolling. Lying bastards! :icon-smile:</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

LOL</p>

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
^^^^^ At the pace you are at now, with 11 posts, you might have 15 or so when the Hawks when the next cup.  :)</p>

cursed by muldoon

Liked Posts:
Isn't it ironic? When you get a chance check out the last two entries in my Hawks Talk blog at my website. For what it's worth they both address this very topic. I always enjoy feedback.</p>

Go Hawks!</p>

-tib</p>

http://www.artsbit.com/blog</p>

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That there are so few long-time Blackhawks fans is hardly shocking. Blame Bill Wirtz.

He didn't give a rat's penis about coltivating a fanbase.

Hence all the fans ignorant of the team's history.

The Blackhawks were a mystery in this city for a lot of years.

It's going to take a while.

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Petulance....</p>

</p>

I'm a bigger fan than you, I've been a fan for a long long time...ha ha, you pronounced his name wrong.</p>

</p>

Sound like a bunch of fuckin' groupies.</p>

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ida B. Wells' Nephew" data-cid="203656" data-time="1372471620">

Petulance....

I'm a bigger fan than you, I've been a fan for a long long time...ha ha, you pronounced his name wrong.

Sound like a bunch of fuckin' groupies.</p></blockquote>

We prefer "Bandaids"

R K

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="puckjim" data-cid="203655" data-time="1372470339">
<div>

That there are so few long-time Blackhawks fans is hardly shocking. Blame Bill Wirtz.

It's going to take a while.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

About 10 give or take a year.  So you lost a decade.  If a decade is enough to bring such great ignorance, we are a dumb fucking society.</p>

R K

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ida B. Wells' Nephew" data-cid="203656" data-time="1372471620">
<div>

Petulance....</p>

</p>

I'm a bigger fan than you, I've been a fan for a long long time...ha ha, you pronounced his name wrong.</p>

</p>

Sound like a bunch of fuckin' groupies.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

It was fucking funny.  </p>

</p>

Even funnier?  After she said "Toes" the WGN reporter stated apparently the Bandwagon starts in this section of the parade.  He must be a groupie as well.  </p>

hotkarl840

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Spunky Porkstacker" data-cid="203648" data-time="1372463072">

^^^^^ At the pace you are at now, with 11 posts, you might have 15 or so when the Hawks when the next cup. :)</p></blockquote>

I have a much better phone this time around. I figure that should get me to at least 20 posts by the next cup run. :)

Variable

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="puckjim" data-cid="203655" data-time="1372470339">
<div>

It's going to take a while.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Even without that there's going to be "bandwagon" fans when you win 2 championships in 4 years. Unavoidable. If people can't take it, if it's that unbearable, well then leave winning the Cup, or any championship in any sport, to some other team. It happens everywhere.</p>

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="R K" data-cid="203672" data-time="1372486505">

About 10 give or take a year.  So you lost a decade.  If a decade is enough to bring such great ignorance, we are a dumb fucking society.</p></blockquote>

From the end of the Bobby Hull era until Bill Wirtz died, the Blackhawks played in relative obscurity.

Sure there were periods where they sold out games and had a certain amount of on-ice success, but for the most part there were too few people in Chicago that cared because no one knew of this success.

They weren't on TV except for road games, and even those were only on cable. With so many other sports options becoming available, it's not hard to understand why the Blackhawks turned into an urban legend. There were just enough die-hards to buy tickets to fill the building when they were successful, but even most of those abandoned the team when they were bad.

Of course everyone loves a winner, and many will be attracted by the next shiny thing that comes along. But some will stay and they will bring their kids. That's how you grow a fanbase.

As far as history goes, the Blackhawks history isn't that great. Wish I didn't know as much as I do.