Bears are the top offer for Wentz?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
To be fair we all wanted Nagy fired after making the playoffs 2 out of 3 years.

But I think Nagy and Caldwell were obviously different situations and had the teams on different trajectories. Luckily Patricia torpedoed the lions back to where they belong.

Making the playoffs 2 out of 3 years should have a HUGE asterisk. The expansion of the post-season should extend the previous goal for an 8-8 team from the previous year of "making the playoffs" to a new goal of "winning the first playoff game"

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Or we could just judge based on whether the move was a success for failure. I don't care what they paid for 4M for example. He was a fucking failure. I don't care what they paid for Foles, he was a fucking failure. All that matters if we trade for Wentz is whether he succeeds or whether he is a fucking failure.

Can't disagree with that but that's not what will happen. Certain people will be on here from day one of the trade running with unproven rumors and it will be way too many threads to even think about. He won't even get in the building before certain people are already killing the trade and running with the fantasy tweets that come out saying how much more we paid then the next team offered and how we bid against ourselves and everything else of usual on CCS by certain posters.

I'm on the side of not giving up anything substantial for C.Wentz, especially if the full contract is coming with him or we're not sending them one or two of our players that have contract we wanna get rid of. He's too much of a big hit or big miss for me, but i'm not gonna sit here and say he's already a big miss because the guy has already proven that he can play in the NFL and do it at a high level. If it's about mental more then physical then that scares me even more but obviously both are scary.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
To be fair we all wanted Nagy fired after making the playoffs 2 out of 3 years.

But I think Nagy and Caldwell were obviously different situations and had the teams on different trajectories. Luckily Patricia torpedoed the lions back to where they belong.

The distinction being Caldwell and Nagy are O coaches and Caldwell had a top 10 scoring O when he was fired while Nagy had a bottom of the league O. So he was at least doing the job on the side of the ball he was hired to excel at.

The further distinction being Nagy got in as the last spot in an expanded playoff. If the 2017 Lions played under 2020 rules then the Lions would have made the playoffs (better conference record than Cowboys) and that would be 3 out of 4 years in the playoffs for Caldwell.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Can't disagree with that but that's not what will happen. Certain people will be on here from day one of the trade running with unproven rumors and it will be way too many threads to even think about. He won't even get in the building before certain people are already killing the trade and running with the fantasy tweets that come out saying how much more we paid then the next team offered and how we bid against ourselves and everything else of usual on CCS by certain posters.

I'm on the side of not giving up anything substantial for C.Wentz, especially if the full contract is coming with him or we're not sending them one or two of our players that have contract we wanna get rid of. He's too much of a big hit or big miss for me, but i'm not gonna sit here and say he's already a big miss because the guy has already proven that he can play in the NFL and do it at a high level. If it's about mental more then physical then that scares me even more but obviously both are scary.

Yes until results prove who is right and who is wrong people will have opinions based on the info and rumors they have heard. That is sort of the point of being on a message board. If everyone simply waited until the truth was revealed after the fact then there would be nothing to talk about in the offseason. The offseason is ripe with speculation because people are bored and full of anticipation or dread.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I love how you all keep assuming Robinson is staying. If they can't rid Foles, then you have nearly $40 million tied into one position on offense, and only one can play at a time. You're not paying $20million+ for Robinson as well.

First of all, they would have 25.4M for Wentz (which sounds like the Eagles are negotiating a restructure so that hit is less) and 6.6 for Foles. That's only 32Mil, not "nearly 40Mil"

Secondly, they will franchise tag Robinson for 18Mil or so. They'll make it work. Rams were OVER the cap when they traded Goff for Stafford.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
First of all, they would have 25.4M for Wentz (which sounds like the Eagles are negotiating a restructure so that hit is less) and 6.6 for Foles. That's only 32Mil, not "nearly 40Mil"

Secondly, they will franchise tag Robinson for 18Mil or so. They'll make it work. Rams were OVER the cap when they traded Goff for Stafford.

Rams are still over the cap. They don't have to be under the cap until the new league year I believe but they will have to cut, trade or restructure guys to get under the cap.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I mean, Wentz is clearly better than Trubisky. And with Pace, "at least he tried" is better than sitting on his hands and basically doing nothing to try to fix the QB situation. Which is what he does most of the time.

I don't know. I'll be cautiously optimistic about Wentz if that's who we go with. Even though I don't have much confidence in his health, his mental state out on the field, Nagy, etc.

I think there are better options, and I think drafting a rookie would be a better option. Whatever.

drafting a rookie doesn't stunt the progress of the rest of the team like trading 4-5 picks/players with value to get someone else that another team is trying to unload. maybe that Goff deal really works out for the Lions. I hope it doesn't. but that's proof of a highly psychotic trade scenario. maybe I'm just not seeing what everyone else is.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I have no idea why anyone would entertain this right now. Eagles are like 40+ million over the cap with a few large contracts that cost more to cut than keep. They will have to move on from a few good players so why jump to give up draft capital for Wentz?
Because the bears are dumb. We better not trade a damn thing for Wentz

Bolek

Liked Posts:
How the hell is that an improvement from What we had at QB in 2020? Trubisky outplayed wentz this season by quite a bit (20+ difference in qb rating)

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Just stating facts, but Wentz has 2 years with a passer rating over a hundred, 3 over 90, and three straight years of 250+ yards per game. He’s also better than 2 to 1 TD-to-INT.

That may not seem like a lot, but that’s basically how you have to evaluate him since he rarely plays the whole season injury-free (which is certainly a strike against him).

250+ yards per game is significant, because that’s the threshold for a 4,000 yard season, and most QBs aren’t there.

For every point with Wentz, there’s a “but,” sure. But those “but”s, for the vast majority of his career, have been injury-related, not performance-related.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
drafting a rookie doesn't stunt the progress of the rest of the team like trading 4-5 picks/players with value to get someone else that another team is trying to unload. maybe that Goff deal really works out for the Lions. I hope it doesn't. but that's proof of a highly psychotic trade scenario. maybe I'm just not seeing what everyone else is.

I don't understand what you are saying here? Highly psychotic on the part of the Lions, or the Rams?

mecha

Liked Posts:
I don't understand what you are saying here? Highly psychotic on the part of the Lions, or the Rams?

Rams got owned on the exchange. thank you. Lions probably do better with Goff than rolling with Stafford still, maybe.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rams got owned on the exchange. thank you. Lions probably do better with Goff than rolling with Stafford still, maybe.
Not sure about that, but Swift might see a banner year. Lions have plenty of ammo to move up into the #2 spot now, if they so choose. I see Goff as slightly better than Wentz myself, but very close. If the Rams walk away with a SB appearance, or at least two deep playoff runs, I think the trade was a success for them as well. Time will tell.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
How the hell is that an improvement from What we had at QB in 2020? Trubisky outplayed wentz this season by quite a bit (20+ difference in qb rating)

Put Wentz on the Bears and Mitch on the Eagles last season. My money is Mitch does even worse than Wentz and Wentz does much better that Mitch. People need to stop acting like Mitch is better than Wentz because it's not even remotely true.

Bust

Liked Posts:
A lot of dipshits on here think just this.

no clue but has Mitch's teammates ever talked down on him to the media in this manner?

Another unnamed teammate reportedly suggested that Wentz was entitled:

"Carson Wentz's biggest enemy is Carson Wentz. He's had his ass kissed his whole life, and sometimes acts like he's won 10 Super Bowls, when he hasn't played in, let alone won, a playoff game yet. Everyone around him wants good things for him. He did more thinking on the field than he did playing (in 2018). You don't have to be a brain surgeon or a football expert to see how differently this team plays and reacts with one guy as opposed to the other."

Canth

Liked Posts:
A couple more Wentz thoughts and I admit they have likely been stated before - but I don't feel like reading thru 16 pages of posts right now.

1. I don't trust Ryan Pace to evaluate a qb and give reasonable value for the qb he gets. I think as much as anything else, that is what scares me about the Bears getting Wentz. They are evaluating on what he did a while ago, not what he did in 2020 and they are going to massively overpay in draft picks based on that.

2. They are talking about acquiring an injury prone qb when they have bad offensive line. And they will likely be using the draft picks needed to have any chance to fix that offensive line in that acquisition. I just don't see this ending well for either party.

3. Why be in such a rush -now-? The league year and hence the trades cannot even be finalized for over a month. Why bid against yourself so heavily when you do not even need to? I realize they are in desperation mode, but damn...have some patience and really see what the options are out there. At this time, Wentz is nowhere near special enough to jump on a bad trade like this.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Wentz is OK. I wouldn't trust Pace not to give up the farm though.
If NAGY says Wentz is the guy he wants Pace will move heaven and earth to get him. Why would Pace/Nagy care about cost with their jobs on the line? Win and no one cares about cost, lose and it is someone else's problem.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure I remember we heard about back during the draft with Wentz that Pace was trying to trade up for him too

This move has some a lot of risk to it with his recent play so I’d obviously rather have Carr or Watson.

If the Bears intel is telling them they can’t get those guys though then I’m all in on this move.

He was a Derek carr level qb before so if they can help him back on track it would be a huge win since Carr is gonna cost a lot more.

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
There’s too much buzz about it to ignore and they’ll want to get it done soon, I’d say.

They would have found out that they couldn’t get Watson. They tried for Stafford. He’s probably the next guy on the list & they’ll outbid Colts through desperation.