Bears are the top offer for Wentz?

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Please oh please let this be a smokescreen.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
By the same people dumping on him for considering Wentz.

Look I think Wentz is a bum but if he goes to the Colts and blows up then I will freely admit I was wrong but I will also shit on Pace for getting it wrong because he is the professional paid 5 million a year to get it right. So whether I flip flop has no bearing on whether Pace should be held accountable for getting it wrong AGAIN as the McCaskey's are paying him not me.

If they were paying me 5 million and I had all these scouts and coaches pouring thru the film, all these advanced metrics that fans don't have and the ability to sit and watch film myself for hours upon hours a day because it is my job, and I still fucked up the Trubs pick, fucked up Foles, and then fucked up in not getting Wentz, I would freely accept those are collectively fireable offenses regardless of what meatball fans said.

There is just no comparison to a meatball fan like me getting it wrong and Pace with the full weight of an NFL franchise's resources getting it wrong.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL , at calling Patricia mediocre. Dude was about as mediocre a HC as a yugo was a mediocre car.

Well I was giving him credit for being a decent DC but a shitty HC.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Everyone says this all the time.

Nobody thought the Rams (who were already several million OVER the cap) with a QB that won a playoff game, 2 years after leading his team to a Superbowl would trade for Stafford. All we heard was SF and IND.

Nobody thought the Raiders were going to trade Mack, but they did.

Everyone assumes ARob is going to walk because he didn't agree to an extension w/ the Bears and says he doesn't want to get franchised. Yet, the same people think Dak, who didn't agree to an extension w/ the Cowboys and doesn't want to get franchised will definitely be tagged. Just like the Bears have -500K for an 18M Robinson tag. Dallas has 13M in space and Dak's tag is 37.7M. They are literally in the same situation as the Bears financially considering this.

Point is, as Bears fans we are conditioned to think worst case scenario for everything. There's 0 reason to think it's Wentz or nothing for the Bears on Feb 5th. Even if everything you say happens, that still doesn't mean the Jets, Dolphins, or Carolina will be willing to give up what Texans want for Watson. It doesn't matter if the Bears only have the 20th pick if nobody else offers as many picks or as good players.

Well I'm a long time Chicago sports fan and am conditioned to expect the worst as a self defense mechanism.

I've never brought up cap implications when it applies to acquiring a QB because it has been proven time and time again that almost anything can be worked out if the desire is great enough.

In this case, its not Wentz or nothing I never said that.

Its the next QB available who in Pace's eyes could possibly save his job.

Pace has never been patient, clever or calculating when it comes to obtaining his guy.

IMO, he simply will not wait out the process if and when Watson is traded but could if all else fails.

My guess is he will have a new QB well before Watson is dealt.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Wentz did have a pretty big sample size of really good play. Lol at the “Trubisky 2.0” claim. The question is, who is he now? Can he be that guy again? Or will he continue to struggle?

Wentz wouldn’t be my first choice, but I wouldn’t be mad if the Bears got him. He’s got major talent, but not just talent that hasn’t been put together, like some—but rather talent that’s been realized at the NFL level for a somewhat extended period of time (not just game-to-game).

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Well I'm a long time Chicago sports fan and am conditioned to expect the worst as a self defense mechanism.

I've never brought up cap implications when it applies to acquiring a QB because it has been proven time and time again that almost anything can be worked out if the desire is great enough.

In this case, its not Wentz or nothing I never said that.

Its the next QB available who in Pace's eyes could possibly save his job.

Pace has never been patient, clever or calculating when it comes to obtaining his guy.

IMO, he simply will not wait out the process if and when Watson is traded but could if all else fails.

My guess is he will have a new QB well before Watson is dealt.

Wasn't saying those were things you were saying, just things that Bears fans say. And you have every right to feel this way. But there's plenty of evidence of even our bad news Bears can pull off an unexpected big move, as they have several times.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Wentz did have a pretty big sample size of really good play. Lol at the “Trubisky 2.0” claim. The question is, who is he now? Can he be that guy again? Or will he continue to struggle?

Wentz wouldn’t be my first choice, but I wouldn’t be mad if the Bears got him. He’s got major talent, but not just talent that hasn’t been put together, like some—but rather talent that’s been realized at the NFL level for a somewhat extended period of time (not just game-to-game).

I'm really confident he can be league average going forward with an improved/healthy OL and a top WR like Robinson who has been pretty healthy as well since the ACL. The problem is that you don't give up a 1st round pick and 24Mil for league average play. He needs to be a top 10-12 QB again for this to be a favorable trade if it's more than a couple 3rd rounders going to the Eagles.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Look I think Wentz is a bum but if he goes to the Colts and blows up then I will freely admit I was wrong but I will also shit on Pace for getting it wrong because he is the professional paid 5 million a year to get it right. So whether I flip flop has no bearing on whether Pace should be held accountable for getting it wrong AGAIN as the McCaskey's are paying him not me.

If they were paying me 5 million and I had all these scouts and coaches pouring thru the film, all these advanced metrics that fans don't have and the ability to sit and watch film myself for hours upon hours a day because it is my job, and I still fucked up the Trubs pick, fucked up Foles, and then fucked up in not getting Wentz, I would freely accept those are collectively fireable offenses regardless of what meatball fans said.

There is just no comparison to a meatball fan like me getting it wrong and Pace with the full weight of an NFL franchise's resources getting it wrong.
We know.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Then again, I'd much rather have wentz than anyone else in FA/trade other than watson/dak....Issue is, once again, that freaking contract.
Or...He's been hurt a lot and he flat out sucked this last season.

The answer is to find one in the draft. If you pay for someone else's shitty QB, then the Bears are gonna have yet another shitty QB.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
I'm really confident he can be league average going forward with an improved/healthy OL and a top WR like Robinson who has been pretty healthy as well since the ACL. The problem is that you don't give up a 1st round pick and 24Mil for league average play. He needs to be a top 10-12 QB again for this to be a favorable trade if it's more than a couple 3rd rounders going to the Eagles.
I love how you all keep assuming Robinson is staying. If they can't rid Foles, then you have nearly $40 million tied into one position on offense, and only one can play at a time. You're not paying $20million+ for Robinson as well.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Im really surprised to see so much Wentz hate. I dont get it. I know last year was flat out bad for him, but his team was awful as well. But man, fans, Bears fans are a weird bunch of people.

ONE bad year for Wentz and hes a certified bum.
Also fans though, dont you dare say anything positive about Mitch based on his ONE semi decent Pro Bowl alternate year.

How anyone, anyone, can look at Wentz's career numbers with 2020 included and call this dude a bum and bad QB makes me think people dont have functional televisions.

Now, this all depends on compensation. Two 1s? Nope, One 1? Nope. One 2? ehhhh maaaybe, but I think the deals for him should start at multiple 3s. The absolute highest I would go is a 2 and Foles for salary reasons.

Also, I dont think there will be as much QB movement as advertised. Watson is not getting traded. Houston has too much leverage and even greater need to keep him. That means maybe Carr? But his numbers are pretty damn similar to Wentz, and is a a year older.

Winston would be # 3 for me. After that, the solutions arent solutions anymore. But man, if theres a chance to get Wentz, you fucking do it. This place is so weird.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hire Jim Caldwell, watch him win 36 games, secure 2 playoff berths, and inexplicably fire the successful black man ...........
Sign mediocre overweight white man Matty P and watch him win 14 games in 3 years ............
A few weeks later sign another mediocre but slim white man who wants to bite kneecaps?

lol, you can't make this shit up.

LOL, and prey tell what does Jim Caldwells "blackness" have to do with it all? Are you accusing the Lions of being racists? I seem to remember the Bears firing Lovie Smith? Might want to think before you post. I guess the fact that the Lions just hired their second black GM has escaped you?

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1ke

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shits crazy,right? And yet still 2 playoff apperanaces in the last 3 years, and the Lions? 2018 last, 2019 last, 2020 let me think,...oh yeah last.
yes, and still one playoff appearance less than the Lions over the last ten years, and the same amount of victories. Congrats on backing into the playoffs this year thanks to another opening being created. Oh and, didn't the Bears finish last four consecutive years?

Lions get paid a first to take on a marginal talent QB with an overpaid contract. (Goff)
Ryan Pace wants to trade away a first and more for an arguably worse QB. (Wentz)
Yes, Ryan Pace, man of legends!

Last edited:

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Funny. So true. Even people in this thread are saying how much better Ballard is for supposedly targeting the exact same asset.
Colts are better suited for a flawed QB. Look at how well Rivers did there. They have a coach that understands running the ball, and actually does it.
And they don't have a D made up of overpaid little bitches like the Bears currently have.

I don't think Wentz will take either team anywhere, but the Colts are the much better team around said QB right now.

As long as Nagy is the Bears coach, making stupid decisions will follow.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
yes, and still one playoff appearance less than the Lions over the last ten years, and the same amount of victories. Congrats on backing into the playoffs this year thanks to another opening being created.
Sorry, I was focused on relevant recent history pertinent to your post about Trubisky's time as a starter, but if you want to start bringing up decades of playoff success history, you may want to expand your search to centuries to find anything relevant for Detroit.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I love how you all keep assuming Robinson is staying. If they can't rid Foles, then you have nearly $40 million tied into one position on offense, and only one can play at a time. You're not paying $20million+ for Robinson as well.
I dont want Wentz, but him and foles would not cost close to 40 million

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
i guess i wouldn’t mind this is as much if i was confident in Pace’s ability to not over pay for mediocre talent at QB

Agreed. I guess I also wouldn't mind it as much if Nagy would stop taking mediocre QBs and turn them into bottom-of-the-league producers.

Last edited:

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
this is hardly a surprise ….deflip was his coach and he'd be further along in terminology/scheme than anyone else...i'm more surprised if this happens how the bears plan to fit his cap hit

The new GM will have to worry about that, since this would surely get Pace shit canned

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Wentz is OK. I wouldn't trust Pace not to give up the farm though.

Last edited: