Bears are the top offer for Wentz?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
His contract for a team that trades for him is essentially $98mil/4 years with $25mil guaranteed.

Not a player I want, but that is not a bad contract for a starting vet QB.

If he gets traded, his 2022 base salary becomes guaranteed. So, you can't cut him after 1 year. His deal is essentially 2 years, 47.5Mil (15.4M base + 10Mil roster bonus in 2021, 22.1Mil base in 2022) then with 0 dead money after that, but you could still keep him for 2 years and the remaining 51Mil.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
If the Bears don't do any restructuring to Wentz contract to lower his cap number this year they will only be on the hook for his 2021 salary and roster bonus. Wentz 2022 salary guarantees on the 3rd day of the league year so if they cut him before then they won't owe him anything
If they trade for him they are going to lower his 2021 cap hit by converting salary into signing bonus. They aren't going to blow like their entire cap on Wentz when they have much more space available in 2022 and they need to win now.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Is this even a fucking conversation? Give me Carr over Wentz even at a higher price tag. Wentz is ass and titties

Mitch kisses titties so whatcha trying to say here...:smug2:

I'm so nervous Pace is gonna give up too much for Wentz. He's such a huge hit or miss. Now he has Nagy in on all his moves for the next QB as well so that dummy has me even more nervous.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
If he gets traded, his 2022 base salary becomes guaranteed. So, you can't cut him after 1 year. His deal is essentially 2 years, 47.5Mil (15.4M base + 10Mil roster bonus in 2021, 22.1Mil base in 2022) then with 0 dead money after that, but you could still keep him for 2 years and the remaining 51Mil.
If they trade for him they are going to push 2021 money down the line for sure. They aren't going to leave him with a $25mil cap hit for 2021.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I’m actually not that upset by this. He has all the tools and he demonstrated he can play. Did injuries cause his play to decline so much?

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Wooo...wooo...fucking Super bowl mother *******!

Woooooooo!

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I read it as the Bears are looking to package future picks with their current 2nd to get Wentz which to me is a disaster. Its a different story if PHI sends picks with him.

Sounds like whoever gets him will be giving up a good package to do it and even the CCS people's best GM in the history of GM's is in on this deal.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
go ahead and count them. he’s still built a super bowl team.

With C.Wentz and N.Foles who if you haven't noticed in this thread you're in are now two of the most hated QB's in the game by Bears fans.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm on record on this board of liking Wentz as an option. He was terrible this year, when he had no OL, WRs, TEs got hurt as well as RBs. Nobody started even the 12 games Wentz started except for his center, Kelce. In 2019, he was solid and only threw 7 picks when he had his TEs, RBs, and a healthier OL. 2017 he was MVP until injury, and he improved his completion % by 9.5 and his QB rating after coming back from the ACL tear in 2018.

That being said, I was MUCH more into this idea when I figured the package would be something like Foles + 2021 3rd + 2022 conditional 3rd/4th. If the Bears keep 20, or get the Eagles early 2nd and a 4th for Foles and 20th, I'll be fine with it, but more than that? UGH

My big concerns are:

1) The QB market isn't dried up yet. IDK how you go crazy to make a deal for Wentz when potentially Watson, Carr, and Dak could be on the market. IDK how you make this deal before free agency. IDK how you make this deal before trying to move up for one of the top 4 QBs in the draft. Even if you called around and the asking prices for all these guys is too high, asking prices go down if Dak isn't tagged or refuses to play in Dallas, Carr threatens to hold out, or the Texans still haven't heard from Watson when free agency has started and the draft is around the corner. I don't see how this is a move you make RIGHT NOW.

2) It's another case of "guy who knows the offense". This could very well work out with Wentz, but I'm really tired of this huge focus on familiarity. From all the guys Nagy coached with under Reid on the offensive side, to Trey Burton, Chase Daniel, Nick Foles, etc. None of these familiarity moves have worked out and is generally a very narrow-minded approach that reeks of a guy trying to force his thing to work instead of adapting to his personnel.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Wentz 2018-19:
27 games
7113 yards
48 TD's
14 Int's
97.6 Passer Rating

Mitch 2018-19:
29 games
6361 yards
41 TD's
22 Int's
89.2 Passer Rating

I'm definitely not a big Wentz fan, but get real with this shit. Wentz is clearly better and had less to work with.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
If they trade for him they are going to push 2021 money down the line for sure. They aren't going to leave him with a $25mil cap hit for 2021.

Yeah. To fit 25Mil under the cap AND retain Allen Robinson (re-sign or tag) they're going to have to re-sign Fuller and Hicks, pushing their money into the future, restructure Mack and/or Jackson pushing their money into the future, or pushing Wentz's money itself into the future. None ideal, but pushing Wentz money is terrible in the case he just flat out sucks again. The others probably won't suck, but won't be worth the money.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
With C.Wentz and N.Foles who if you haven't noticed in this thread you're in are now two of the most hated QB's in the game by Bears fans.
it’s almost like he built a great roster around those QBs.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Fact.....
Wentz has now suffered four injuries in four NFL seasons.
Eh. The only ones that matter are ones that cause him to miss games. And that's just ACL and the back injury. He came back from the ACL just fine (Watson has multiple ACL tears, FWIW). And the back injury is basically the same thing Stafford dealt with in 2019, and he came back just fine this year. Wentz does have injury concerns, but the biggest concern is he actually any good anymore.

Well I'm also concerned about his mental state. I read where Eagle fans say he's not mentally tuff. I heard where if he was gonna be a back-up, he wanted out. He never denied it. He just doesn't strike me as a leader. We don't need that here.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wentz 2018-19:
27 games
7113 yards
48 TD's
14 Int's
97.6 Passer Rating

Mitch 2018-19:
29 games
6361 yards
41 TD's
22 Int's
89.2 Passer Rating

I'm definitely not a big Wentz fan, but get real with this shit. Wentz is clearly better and had less to work with.

I normally agree with you, but obviously you didn't see Wentz play last year. It was insanely bad, much worse than his horrible stats. Compare the two for the much more relevant 2020. Not even close.