Bears have spent 90% of cap space

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Since everyone is saying this thread is stupid and doesn't make sense can someone please give an accurate analysis of our current cap situation laid out in full...

it would be much appreciated...
Thanks

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Bears

I created 33 million in cap space by cutting Bennett, Bush, Peppers (June 1 Designate), and extending Marshall. Can create another 5 million by cutting Briggs if you want to totally revamp the LB corps.

Also, if you convert 20 million of the 22.5 million in Cutler's base salary to a signing bonus then that would yield pro-rated cap charges of 4 million a year. Combined with the 2.5 million left of his base salary in 2014 and you go from a cap charge of 22.5 million to 6.5 million and thus create another 16 million in cap space. So that's anywhere from 33 million to 54 million in cap space depending on what you want to do.

So again, the Bears are really on a pay as you go system.

P.S. Cliff Fucking Stein.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Convert part of his 2014 salary to a signing bonus that will be amortized over the next five years' caps.

So you are promoting that we ask him to restructure the 1st year of a contract he just signed? That makes little sense, and there may even be illegalities involved with that scenario.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
We have the best contract guy in the NFL in Cliff Stein. We are fine. Stein has given us options here with the way he front loaded Cutler's contract which was smart, smart, smart. We will be a player in free agency I believe at the safety position and DE or DT positions.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So you are promoting that we ask him to restructure the 1st year of a contract he just signed? That makes little sense, and there may even be illegalities involved with that scenario.

Are you "promoting" that he would make less money this year in the scenario I described?

Are you also "promoting" that he has any say in the matter since it's built into his contract that the Bears have the option?

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Bears

I created 33 million in cap space by cutting Bennett, Bush, Peppers (June 1 Designate), and extending Marshall. Can create another 5 million by cutting Briggs if you want to totally revamp the LB corps.

Also, if you convert 20 million of the 22.5 million in Cutler's base salary to a signing bonus then that would yield pro-rated cap charges of 4 million a year. Combined with the 2.5 million left of his base salary in 2014 and you go from a cap charge of 22.5 million to 6.5 million and thus create another 16 million in cap space. So that's anywhere from 33 million to 54 million in cap space depending on what you want to do.

So again, the Bears are really on a pay as you go system.

P.S. Cliff Fucking Stein.

This. Great shape.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I am thoroughly confused how you can sound intelligent in one post and utterly Special person in another.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
At least 5 draft picks will take those roles. That's about 4.5 Mil total. The Bears can re-sign a lot of their own players for less than 2Mil if they want...including Collins, McManis, Castonzo, Bowman, Williams, Anderson. Garza won't cost much more than that. And they can find players like they did with Slauson and Williams and Anderson for under 2Mil. Backups are generally pretty cheap. Especially when you're talking backup TEs and 4th/5th CBs, which you are.

The main concerns are starting quality players at DT, probably both DEs, and at least 1 S. Could get by with Paea and Conte if the rest of the D is good enough. 2 of those 4 positions can be filled with draft picks. 1 big price FA and 1 mid level FA

So you expect four starters to come out of this draft class because I'm not following how specific you're being.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
And yet when it is all said and done, it will be done and you will be wondering how in the fuck were they able to do it. If there is one guy on the buys to never doubt, it's Cliff Fucking Stein.

It doesn't matter what your beef is with Emery, Trestman, or anyone else. Cliff Fucking Stein is so good that when the Bears cleaned fucking house of Lovie and Angelo, Cliff Fucking Stein came to work the next day as secure as ever in his job. If Emery and Trestman are fired again, I will put money on the fact, the new GM would come in see Cliff Fucking Stein and ask him if he wants sugar in his coffee.

No one is insinuating that the Bears aren't going to be able to fill out their roster. The question is are they going to be able to rebuild their defense with anything but one-year contract 30-year-old veterans and a few draft picks and some UDFAs. Where is the money going to come from to get at least two solid starters on the defense and re-sign the players we need to re-sign?

The Bears clear out cap space, hooray...but there's still a disaster that exists on the front seven and as TeddyKGB rightly points out the Bears are likely going to watch their two best players on defense leave via free agency.

Who are the best players that play on the front seven that will be back for certain? Stephen Paea (not many people on this board like him thanks to Windy City) and Jon Bostic?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
So you expect four starters to come out of this draft class because I'm not following how specific you're being.

I didn't say anything about 4 starters. Wth are u talking about?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You seem to have some sort of mental block over how the money gets moved around from year to year for the sake of accommodating our cap figures. If we didn't have Cliff Fucking Stein. I might be worried. Thankfully, we do.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Thanks for that article, still don't think they will restructure the 1st year, but nice to know they can do it if the need arises.
You realize JC get $22.5 M real money next year no matter what, right? If its called salary it goes 100% against next years cap, if it's called bonus 20%counts for each of the next 5 yrs. They can spread out as much or as little as they need for cap purposes. The only change is on paper, it has zero affect on Cutler.

Reactions: WCL

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
You seem to have some sort of mental block over how the money gets moved around from year to year for the sake of accommodating our cap figures. If we didn't have Cliff Fucking Stein. I might be worried. Thankfully, we do.

My next dog will be named Cliff Fucking Stein.