Bears OTAs and Minicamps (Rookie, voluntary, mandatory, coerced, etc.)

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

From Fishbain and The Athletic regarding rookie camp:​

“1. No. 9 pick is No. 2 on the mind​

In any other year, with any other team, Odunze would have been the No. 1 topic of rookie minicamp. He’s a top-10 pick at wide receiver; he’d be getting all the attention.

But offensive coordinator Shane Waldron, in his first media appearance since February, wasn’t asked a single question about the rookie wideout. Understandably, Odunze is playing second fiddle to Williams, and he was asked Friday if that takes some pressure off him.

“You obviously see why he had, what, 1,500-plus (yards receiving)?” Williams said. “And a bunch of catches. He’s explosive for his size, explosive route runner and things like that. He’s also really smooth in and out of routes and transitions. So working with him, it’s been great, it’s been awesome. I’m excited for what’s next.”

The rarity — and benefit — of two top-10 picks coming in together at quarterback and receiver isn’t lost on Odunze.

“It’s hard to imagine a better situation, honestly,” he said. “Coming in with a rookie quarterback allows us to grow together and learn this offense together, as well. When he’s studying, I’m there right next to him studying and getting his mindset on different routes and different concepts and learning his perspective on the whole offense. It’s a great way for me to learn because I like to learn the whole concept and then, OK, let me detail it up and understand what I need to do within any specific scheme or concept. To be alongside him, it’s a blessing.”

2. Praise for Odunze​

Bears passing game coordinator Thomas Brown said Odunze was his second-favorite interview at the combine … behind Williams.

“The guy had complete ownership from the beginning to the end,” he said of Odunze. “We put him on the board, talking concepts, talking film study. He was high level in terms of overall IQ, communication skills. … The moving-piece part — he can back up all three spots and be a versatile piece for us.”https://theathletic.com/5479482/2024/05/10/nfl-draft-2024-best-picks-caleb-williams/

Receivers coach Chris Beatty, who has worked with Keenan Allen and DJ Moore previously, also took note of Odunze’s intelligence.

“He’s really smart,” Beatty said. “… He’s able to pick things up. And I think he’s got a grasp of a pro set that you get from being in a college offense that has some pro principles in it. So I think that gave him a leg up, but he’s one of those guys that picks things up very quickly.”

For head coach Matt Eberflus, Odunze’s work ethic is what stands out. It’s probably why Odunze wasn’t going to spend the practice standing on the sideline, even with the hamstring issue.

“He knows he’s not a finished product. He’s got a lot of improving to do as he gets into the NFL,” Eberflus said. “But his work ethic is elite. He worked himself into being that top-10 pick.”

Bears rookie camp: Caleb Williams-Rome Odunze connection, Austin Booker's length and moreBears rookie camp observations: Caleb Williams-Rome Odunze connection keeps growing

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

From Fishbain and The Athletic regarding rookie camp:​

Dang, now this is some offseason hype that I want to see! This offense has a lot of pieces that can come together to look more like a modern squad. I always will shake my head at the contrast between what Justin Fields had to work with, but dang this has the feeling of a really good fresh start.

It will be interesting to see how Williams and Odunze perform compared to other recent draftees with this kind of hype. Trevor Lawrence put up 3600 yards on 600 passes, and a TD/INT rate that is simply unacceptable. As far as recent draftees go, I think Odunze's closest comparison as an athlete is Drake London.

Thankfully, our defense is squaring off on a lot of QBs with one year or fewer as starters in this league. It may be a bumpy ride this year as our rookies experience typical growing pains, but there is also potential for the offense to get a few extra short fields given our opponents, and so Williams is going to have a few extra shots at a highlight throw that puts the team in scoring position.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Dang, now this is some offseason hype that I want to see! This offense has a lot of pieces that can come together to look more like a modern squad. I always will shake my head at the contrast between what Justin Fields had to work with, but dang this has the feeling of a really good fresh start.

It will be interesting to see how Williams and Odunze perform compared to other recent draftees with this kind of hype. Trevor Lawrence put up 3600 yards on 600 passes, and a TD/INT rate that is simply unacceptable. As far as recent draftees go, I think Odunze's closest comparison as an athlete is Drake London.
I like much of this post but not the comp to Drake London.

London never ran a 10.5 100 meter dash.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I like much of this post but not the comp to Drake London.
Why not? London is a tall and rangy WR that offers a big window. And he is pretty good at high pointing the pass. As an athlete (and for a rookie prospect), that is a lot of potential to work with.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Why not? London is a tall and rangy WR that offers a big window. And he is pretty good at high pointing the pass. As an athlete (and for a rookie prospect), that is a lot of potential to work with.
I just think Rome is a superior athlete and a much better route runner.

Drake is definitely a big target.

He’ll be better with Cousins for sure. Pitts too.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I just think Rome is a superior athlete and a much better route runner.

Drake is definitely a big target.
I see what you mean. I would say that as a route runner, London is good at using his size as part of maintaining leverage, and so his biggest asset is getting downfield and providing a window that is bigger than one DB can adequately cover on that "perfect pass." He can get away with being better than average as a runner, but I do see why you don't like that comp.

This is what I mean by "rangy." This type of athlete need to be doubled by a bigger safety, jammed at the line by a stronger DB, and even then our WR has an advantage with the grip-strength to come down with the 20-yard laser-throw without bobbling it on the way to the ground. And because of his height and wingspan, that pass is either hitting our WR in the hands, or going OB. For Odunze, add a 39" vertical. That kind of prospect gets me excited. (Edit - I think that Cousins is going to make London look a lot better and so after this season, I bet you like the comparison a little more).

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I see what you mean. I would say that as a route runner, London is good at using his size as part of maintaining leverage, and so his biggest asset is getting downfield and providing a window that is bigger than one DB can adequately cover on that "perfect pass." He can get away with being better than average as a runner, but I do see why you don't like that comp.

This is what I mean by "rangy." This type of athlete need to be doubled by a bigger safety, jammed at the line by a stronger DB, and even then our WR has an advantage with the grip-strength to come down with the 20-yard laser-throw without bobbling it on the way to the ground. And because of his height and wingspan, that pass is either hitting our WR in the hands, or going OB. For Odunze, add a 39" vertical. That kind of prospect gets me excited. (Edit - I think that Cousins is going to make London look a lot better and so after this season, I bet you like the comparison a little more).
I actually added that Cousins should unlock Drake and Pitts to my post but I guess you were already replying before I completed the edit.

Both of those guys have suffered from horrible QB play. Pitts still had a great rookie season in spite of it.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I actually added that Cousins should unlock Drake and Pitts to my post but I guess you were already replying before I completed the edit.

Both of those guys have suffered from horrible QB play. Pitts still had a great rookie season in spite of it.
Same thing happened with your mention of the 100 meter dash! I apologize for being over eager to talk Bears!

How many times do you see that 100 meter dash speed coming into play? I am more into the ten-yard split and the cone drill, because that burst and agility gets you NFL-open more often than top-sprinting speed (unless you are like Hill - in which case the WR is both quick and fast).

As far as the athletic profile compares, check out the combine results for Nabers and Odunze, and let's enjoy the prospect we get to root for together. This is a great day for lemonade, a deck chair, and a highlight reel.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Same thing happened with your mention of the 100 meter dash! I apologize for being over eager to talk Bears!

How many times do you see that 100 meter dash speed coming into play? I am more into the ten-yard split and the cone drill, because that burst and agility gets you NFL-open more often than top-sprinting speed (unless you are like Hill - in which case the WR is both quick and fast).

As far as the athletic profile compares, check out the combine results for Nabers and Odunze, and let's enjoy the prospect we get to root for together. This is a great day for lemonade, a deck chair, and a highlight reel.
I mentioned pre-draft I wasn’t huge on Nabers. I’ll be honest, he’s dumb as a rock and had a gun violation in Louisiana.

Odunze is a wonderful guy with great talent and an amazing work ethic. Michael Penix said Odunze never takes off a rep in practice or a game.

I’ll take talent and character every day of the week. Character guys don’t point fingers when things aren’t going well.

I was advocating for Odunze pre-draft and was truly sweating out picks 4-8. I thought the Giants could easily take him at 6.

I’m thrilled he’s a Bear.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I mentioned pre-draft I wasn’t huge on Nabers. I’ll be honest, he’s dumb as a rock and had a gun violation in Louisiana.

Odunze is a wonderful guy with great talent and an amazing work ethic. Michael Penix said Odunze never takes off a rep in practice or a game.

I’ll take talent and character every day of the week. Character guys don’t point fingers when things aren’t going well.

I was advocating for Odunze pre-draft and was truly sweating out picks 4-8. I thought the Giants could easily take him at 6.

Nabers does seem like a dipshit. But I loved his play on the field last year. I think he has the skill to be the best wr in the draft. I also think with his character, he could become a bust in a situation like he's in with Daniel Jones and the giants pitiful offense. If things go south, it could get real ugly, which certainly isn't a concern with odunze.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Nabers does seem like a dipshit. But I loved his play on the field last year. I think he has the skill to be the best wr in the draft. I also think with his character, he could become a bust in a situation like he's in with Daniel Jones and the giants pitiful offense. If things go south, it could get real ugly, which certainly isn't a concern with odunze.
I could not agree more. To me Nabers isn’t worth the risk and frankly I think Odunze is a better all around receiver.

There’s no question Nabers has talent.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

I see! Well all the better we have Odunze. I wasn't tracking Nabers off-field concerns, but seems like NY is the right spot for him.