**Bears sign DE Jared Allen to 4 year contract**

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Still better then the stooges we have at safety

yes....but one of each in first two rounds would look pretty sweet right? Follow up bpa in round 3, take the best DT or S available in first 2 rounds.

Don't forget Izzy and Houston can play DT. Mundy can play FS or SS, and Pryor is a SS in NFL and the highest rated safety by most scouts. Having Mundy with his intelligence and aggressiveness and leadership at FS in this defense is fine....he can't take worse angles than Conte or be worse against the run. He can't.

Pryor would look real good here where we need a SS missile.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;Py4mRZFqYaw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py4mRZFqYaw[/video]

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do you think that Young makes more sense as rotational than a starter even at 4 million? If the Bears can get back to rotating their D-linemen the way they were doing from 2010-2012, shouldn't Young get plenty snaps to warrant a 4 million dollar deal as a swing rotational type? I thought a big part of the Bears success up front, & part of why I thought Marinelli was able to have a lot of success up front was because of how kept a constant rotation up front that helped alot in keeping people fresh over 4 quarters.

IMO it was because he had Julius Peppers and Melton playing at high levels. The rotation stuff was overblown.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I can see many Draft scenarios playing out

We are extremely weak at s, average at lb and dt, and have no depth at wr and c

I think all that is in play

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
IMO it was because he had Julius Peppers and Melton playing at high levels. The rotation stuff was overblown.

I will disagree with you here FT. Logically, all things being equal, I would think a fresher Julius Peppers and Melton should perform at a higher level then a tired Julius Peppers and Melton...

BEARS

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Personally I would target DT, CB, and S in that order in the first round. If we don't nab a S in the first round then would be looking to get a FS type in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I will disagree with you here FT. Logically, all things being equal, I would think a fresher Julius Peppers and Melton should perform at a higher level then a tired Julius Peppers and Melton...

BEARS
But Melton and Peppers weren't coming off the field. The Bears weren't rotating Peppers and Melton in and out they were rotating guys like Pae, Wooton, and Izzy in among the other two spots.

Did you watch the Bears play?

All that aside. My main point was that the Bears defensive line wasn't good because Marinelli was able to rotate guys in. It was good because you had Peppers, Izzy, and/or Melton playing at a high level as pretty much everydown linemen. The only "rotational" guy that seemed to excel was Wooton and that was for one season and he wasn't rotating with Peppers. The Bears were shifting Izzy down inside next to Melton and benching Pae.

The overarching point here is that if Peppers or Melton aren't playing at high levels the rotational shit doesn't matter because the players the Bears are rotating in don't have favorable matchups because Melton and Peppers aren't commanding attention.

Last edited:

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Remeber when Allen cheap shotted and Lance Louis, ending his season, and we all howled for his scalp? Things happen, all is forgiven (insert your own cliche here).

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I think a tired Julius Peppers would perform at a higher level than a fresh Shea McClellin, unless Peppers was so tired that he was actually asleep.

Yes, you have to factor in the type of player you are rotating in into account....

I guess my point is that Bears COULD rotate players in and out under Maranelli because that had good players(depth) behind them all the while giving the starters rest, thereby keeping them fresher late in games to keep performing at a high level...

BEARS

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Jared Allen

I'd like to take a moment to thank my former teammates, coaches and the staff at the Minnesota Vikings for all of their inspiring work and dedication. Perhaps more importantly I would like to thank the fans and the Minnesota community. I can only hope that I have left with you all, with even a fraction of the positive support and impact you have had on my life, my foundation and my family. I am very excited about this next chapter in my career with the Chicago Bears and can't wait to see what the future holds for us. God bless. -JA

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Omg Phil went to Jared. Championship.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but Seattle has only had 9 double digit loss seasons in 38 years.

Edited to add: During that same time period the Bears and Packers have both had 9 double digit loss seasons as well.

My rant was not necessarily based on facts. It's just funny to me that a team sucks for so long, wins one championship, and suddenly they have a ton of fans that are constantly running their mouths.

At least us Packers and Bears fans are ALWAYS running our mouths. :D

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Remeber when Allen cheap shotted and Lance Louis, ending his season, and we all howled for his scalp? Things happen, all is forgiven (insert your own cliche here).

all's fair in love, war, and footbaw?

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
But Melton and Peppers weren't coming off the field. The Bears weren't rotating Peppers and Melton in and out they were rotating guys like Pae, Wooton, and Izzy in among the other two spots.

Did you watch the Bears play?

All that aside. My main point was that the Bears defensive line wasn't good because Marinelli was able to rotate guys in. It was good because you had Peppers, Izzy, and/or Melton playing at a high level as pretty much everydown linemen. The only "rotational" guy that seemed to excel was Wooton and that was for one season and he wasn't rotating with Peppers. The Bears were shifting Izzy down inside next to Melton and benching Pae.

The overarching point here is that if Peppers or Melton aren't playing at high levels the rotational shit doesn't matter because the players the Bears are rotating in don't have favorable matchups because Melton and Peppers aren't commanding attention.

Fair enough. Ok, let me follow up with this, what is your opinion on depth and how it is used?

BEARS

Liked Posts:
I have seen plenty to pass on him at 14. He is no Suh or Tommie Harris in his prime. Take BPA vs need. Simple.

Suh no way, but who is. Tommie Harris in his prime is a whole new ballgame. Donalds body of work at the collegiate level is every bit as impressive as Tommie's was as a pass rushing DT that is/was solid(not great from either player) vs. run. As a matter fact, for the sake of comparison, you can take away Donald best season, since he played 4 seasons, in order to compare both players over a flat 3 year span that Tommie spent with Oklahoma, & Donald, even with the slow start to 2012, is still as impressive as Harris was over his 3 years with the Sooners. Even the combine result from the two players are almost identical with the only real difference being the BP number. It's not unreasonable at all to consider the possibility that Donalds play could translate to similar to Tommie Harris pre injury. Not to mention Donalds height & playing weight at 6'1"/288 is only one inch & two pounds lighter than the 6'2"/290 size & weight that Harris had coming out of Oklahoma. I think the two are so similar coming out of college it's almost scary, especially when you consider the possibility of Donald at #14 which was exactly the pick used on Harris in 2004.

The only real difference between the two is Tommie had other players around him, with the Sooners, good enough to capitalize on the havoc he caused up front. Donald did not have that luxury at PITT.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This makes me laugh. Since defenses mathematically have more 1st downs than 2nd downs, more 2nd downs than 3rd downs, etc., you basically have a rotation where Young plays 55% of the time and Allen plays 45% of the time (although he'll be getting "most" of the 3rd down snaps...good one!).

Who knew the 2014 Bears defense will be so incredible that Jared Allen is limited to 45% of the snaps.

There are 2 DEs so the total percentage of snaps adds up to 200%.

1st downs - Young 55%, Allen 45%, Houston 80%, Izzy 20%
2nd downs - Young 40%, Allen 60% Houston 80%, Izzy 20%
3rd downs - Young 50%, Allen 100%, Houston 25%, Shea/Bass/Washington 25%

This is under the assumption that Houston plays DT on 3rd down not DE. The point is you target 65-75% of snaps for Allen with him playing damn near 100% of the time on 3rd down and on 1st and 2nd down you are rotating him more with Young.

The exact rotation and percentages were depend on how many snaps and how those snaps break out in terms of down and distance. They are not meant to be hard and fast percentages that never change.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I do apologize in advance if this is a repost, but I'm not going through all 20 pages. heh

jared-allen-signs-chicago-bears.jpg

I just think this picture's hilarious.