Ben Gordon Is Really Freaking Good

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
It's still early in the NBA season, but Ben Gordon is playing at an allstar level, and having a ridiculous season scoring the basketball.

Through five games, Ben is averaging 25.2 PPG on 66.4 TS%.

If Ben keeps this up all season long, he will be on one of the All NBA Teams, and will be in the MVP discussion. Now I don't think he can keep this up (maybe the volume, but not the efficiency).

However, it wouldn't shock me if he put up his first 60+ TS% season this year. He just looks a lot better on the court. Last year he talked about how was cutting back on his weight, as he wasn't really seeing great results from being stronger than the other players. This new slimmed down version of Gordon looks better. To put it bluntly, Ben Gordon is a lot quicker this year than he has been any other year in his career, which has helped him in his penetration game, which has allowed him to score better on the drive, and also draw fouls like a star (8.6 FTA per game).

In addition, Keuster's offense is setting him up with good angles and good looks.

So far this year, he is #2 in offensive win shares behind Chris Paul, and #4 in total win shares at 1.1 behind Paul Pierce, Chris Paul, and Rajon Rondo. That is just a SICK number right there, as the Pistons only have 2 wins, which means that Ben Gordon was 55% responsible for their wins. HE WAS MORE THAN HALF THE REASON THEY WON THOSE GAMES.

Now some people might come in and say that, well if Ben Gordon is so good, then why are the Pistons only 2-3? Why? Because the team has been complete garbage outside of Ben Gordon and Ben Wallace, and Rip Hamilton was good in the one game he played, but only played in one.

The reasons for the Pistons sucking can easily be seen in the team's offensive efficiency stats.

Outside of Gordon, here are how the Pistons rank in offensive efficiency.

1. Ben Wallace - 60.3 TS% (Great Scoring Efficiency)
2. Rip Hamilton - 59.0 TS% (Great Scoring Efficiency)
3. Jason Maxiell - 52.3 TS% (Below Average Scoring Efficiency)
4. Tayshaun Prince - 52.3 TS% (Below Average Scoring Efficiency)
5. Will Bynum - 48.9 TS% (Pathetic Scoring Efficiency)
6. Charlie Villanueva - 48.9 TS% (Pathetic Scoring Efficiency)
7. Jonas Jarebko - 45.0 TS% (Very Pathetic Scoring Efficiency)
8. Austin Daye - 43.8 TS% (Very Very Pathetic Scoring Efficiency)
9. Rodney Stuckey - 42.3 TS% (Are you kidding me? Pathetic Scoring Efficiency)
10. Kwame Brown - 40.5 TS% (Haha Pathetic Scoring Efficiency)
11. Chris Wilcox - 19.3 TS% (WTF Pathetic Scoring Efficiency)

Here is the inherent problem with the Pistons. See those two guys up top. Ben Wallace is a low volume scorer. Rip Hamilton has only played one game. So there only two efficient scorers outside of Gordon haven't taken any type of volume of shots for the Pistons over the course of the season.

And here is the second problem. Here is the ranking of the Pistons top volume shot takers for the season.

1. Rip Hamilton - 19.0 FGA
2. Rodney Stuckey - 16.4 FGA
3. Ben Gordon - 15.2 FGA
4. Will Bynum - 11.0 FGA
5. Tayshaun Prince - 10.3 FGA
6. Charlie Villanueva - 10.2 FGA

Here is an inherent problem with the Pistons. Rip Hamilton hasn't played most of the season, so you can really start to look at it from #2-6. Rodney Stuckey leads the Pistons in FGA per game. That is Rodney Stuckey, Mr. 42.3 TS%, taking the most shots per a game. When your leading shot taker is shooting 42.3 TS%, you're not going to be a good overall team. It's just not going to happen.

Yet even though the Pistons have been absolutely pathetic offensively outside of Gordon, Hamilton, and Ben Wallace, they still have a much better offensive efficiency than us. That is completely a result of what Ben Gordon has been doing out there on the offensive end.

The Bulls guards have also been what have been holding them out. All three of their main guards have played pathetic basketball this year.

You have Derrick Rose at 44.2 TS%, Kirk Hinrich 41.0 TS%, and John Salmons 33.9 TS%. All pathetic.

I was one of the few people who felt that Derrick Rose may never be the caliber of player that Ben Gordon is.

I was already certain that we made a mistake in choosing Kirk Hinrich over Ben Gordon. I was certain that we made a mistake in choosing John Salmons over Ben Gordon.

Now, it looks like we might have made a mistake in choosing Derrick Rose over Ben Gordon as well.

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
Dude, its really freaking early....

Seriously you hate on Gordon EVERY TIME, we get it, you hate him! It's the second week of the sesason, and Gordon has yet to score under 20pts in a game. He is also being ridiculously efficient. He's the 6th best guard in the LEAUGE in FG%!!! HE IS SHOOTING 51%!!! The ONLY guards who have a better FG% than gordon have less than HALF the attempts!!! HALF! He is 13th in the leauge in free throw attempts! This for the guy who "could never get to the line". Ben is also cracking the top 10 IN THE LEAUGE in scoring!!! He is avg 25.2 ppg!Now who on the Bulls has had those kind of numbers since Jordan!?!?! WHO!?!? Ben Gordon is avg. more PPG than some other people you may recognize, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Joe Johnson, Danny Granger...the list goes on. Ben Gordon is having a FANTASTIC season. Instead of disagreeing w/ every post and taking every single potshot at Ben Gordon possible, why don't you use some of those skills you learned in your grade school math classes and LOOK AT THE NUMBERS!!!

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
Looks like some people appreciate Ben....

John Kuester - "Ben has taken ourselves on his shoulders, just as the other Ben (Wallace) has done defensively," Kuester said.

The Detroit Free Press - "The start is exactly what the Pistons would have hoped for for Ben Gordon.

He's gone over 20 points in each of the Pistons' five games, including a season-high 30 in Wednesday's 110-99 loss to Toronto.

As advertised, Gordon has been an offensive machine, capable of carrying a team for long, long stretches"

Stan Van Gundy - "We just couldn't stop their three guards," Van Gundy said. "We knew that's where all of their offense was going to come from, and we couldn't even contain them." (I don't think he is talking about Stucky)

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Seriously you hate on Gordon EVERY TIME, we get it, you hate him! It's the second week of the sesason, and Gordon has yet to score under 20pts in a game. He is also being ridiculously efficient. He's the 6th best guard in the LEAUGE in FG%!!! HE IS SHOOTING 51%!!! The ONLY guards who have a better FG% than gordon have less than HALF the attempts!!! HALF! He is 13th in the leauge in free throw attempts! This for the guy who "could never get to the line". Ben is also cracking the top 10 IN THE LEAUGE in scoring!!! He is avg 25.2 ppg!Now who on the Bulls has had those kind of numbers since Jordan!?!?! WHO!?!? Ben Gordon is avg. more PPG than some other people you may recognize, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Joe Johnson, Danny Granger...the list goes on. Ben Gordon is having a FANTASTIC season. Instead of disagreeing w/ every post and taking every single potshot at Ben Gordon possible, why don't you use some of those skills you learned in your grade school math classes and LOOK AT THE NUMBERS!!!

Lose the attitude dude. Why don't you run your fantasy league team instead of running your mouth?

He said it looks like we made a mistake in picking Rose over Gordon, I say its too early to make that call. Get the fuck off my back...

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
;) houheffna wrote:

Lose the attitude dude. Why don't you run your fantasy league team instead of running your mouth?

He said it looks like we made a mistake in picking Rose over Gordon, I say its too early to make that call. Get the fuck off my back...

Aint that the pot calling the kettle black......Just sharing some stats and quotes my man. You don't have to get so huffy just because I bitch slapped you with knowledge...

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
know that was presumption,

I think that the statement of "looks like the Bulls messed up getting rid of Gordon for that Rose fella..." is asinine at this point. That is all I said.

I did not discredit Gordon ANYWHERE in that post...

ramblingrose33

Liked Posts:
Alright so we as Bulls fans are still disagreeing.... :)

I definitely miss the dude but outside of throwing a sandwich at JR or not being a fan, we're kinda stuck with what we got. My thought on this issue is that it was a cluster on both sides. Management messed it up but Ben Gordon also had his role in the debacle. Hopefully he won't light us up too much on New Years Eve. It will be awesome to see Kirk on Gordon though!!!

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:

John Kuester - "Ben has taken ourselves on his shoulders, just as the other Ben (Wallace) has done defensively," Kuester said.

The Detroit Free Press - "The start is exactly what the Pistons would have hoped for for Ben Gordon.

He's gone over 20 points in each of the Pistons' five games, including a season-high 30 in Wednesday's 110-99 loss to Toronto.

As advertised, Gordon has been an offensive machine, capable of carrying a team for long, long stretches"

Stan Van Gundy - "We just couldn't stop their three guards," Van Gundy said. "We knew that's where all of their offense was going to come from, and we couldn't even contain them." (I don't think he is talking about Stucky)

Its quotes like this that I like to see....

"We got physically dominated by (Luol) Deng (Tuesday night). We just couldn't do anything with him."
—Milwaukee coach Scott Skiles, after watching his former player on the Bulls pile up 24 points and 20 rebounds

THAT is what matters to me...maybe my priorities are misplaced....

fola

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:

Its quotes like this that I like to see....

"We got physically dominated by (Luol) Deng (Tuesday night). We just couldn't do anything with him."
—Milwaukee coach Scott Skiles, after watching his former player on the Bulls pile up 24 points and 20 rebounds

THAT is what matters to me...maybe my priorities are misplaced....

Wow...seriosly...reeelax.

This is a BG thread afterall. I mean, you could just stop reading/posting on it.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I was attacked on it...just a simple rebuttal, I am relaxed...

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
Small sample size is small.

I mean seriously, look at the guards who have put up 25 points on 60%+ TS% over a whole season. There's one, and no prizes for guessing who:

http://www.basketball-reference.com...t&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=ws

Gordon's having a great few games, but lets not get carried away like he's likely to be this good the whole year. For example, from games 5-9 last year Gordon scored 27.4 points on 64.8% TS%. I fully expect by the time the season is over Gordon will be back to around 21 points on 57% TS%, just like he was in his best two years on the Bulls.

fola

Liked Posts:
Shakes wrote:
Small sample size is small.

I mean seriously, look at the guards who have put up 25 points on 60%+ TS% over a whole season. There's one, and no prizes for guessing who:

http://www.basketball-reference.com...t&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=ws

Gordon's having a great few games, but lets not get carried away like he's likely to be this good the whole year. For example, from games 5-9 last year Gordon scored 27.4 points on 64.8% TS%. I fully expect by the time the season is over Gordon will be back to around 21 points on 57% TS%, just like he was in his best two years on the Bulls.

agreed. +/- a point or 2

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just like Salmons and Kirk won't be absolutely unbearably bad from 3, Ben Gordon will not be ridiculously good the entire season. He will still be really good, but not as good as he is now.

cool007

Liked Posts:
Yes, you gotta give credit where its due. BG is even better on the pistons team than he was with Bulls - BG has been scoring ever since he was born (the way NBA TV has been saying for a while now). For a guy like him, who doesn't have good handles, doesn't have size, hasn't had an inside threat or other star player next to him to draw attention, yet he has been pretty darn good - just shows how good he really is.

Imagine if he had a luxury to play alongside another star player or an inside threat that draws attention? Wow!!! It would have been great inside/outside game.

Before Rose came to Bulls, we were asking for inside help every year and imagine if we had gotten that player. Bulls already had good enough players (2nd, 3rd, 4th options) but never had that superstar or an inside threat, we would have been contenders.

Oh well, what's done is done. I am looking forward to Rose era and hopefully management doesn't disappoint us. We will have cap and a buddying star in Rose and good role players (Noah/Deng/Hinrich?) and if they fail to bring in a star in the next summer then I am done with this management.

I would understand if they all stayed with their own teams but if they are signed with other teams and we come up empty handed or just came back with freaking Joe Johnson by paying him over $16mil a year, then I will want Management heads.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Doubt if Reinsdorf pays Johnson over 15mil...but I do think he would be a valuable asset to this team, but he won't help us win. Amare and Johnson? Now you might have something...

cool007

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
Doubt if Reinsdorf pays Johnson over 15mil...but I do think he would be a valuable asset to this team, but he won't help us win. Amare and Johnson? Now you might have something...

Yeah, if we sign 2 of the free agents like JJ and Amare/Boozer or something then just fine but we don't have enough money to sign 2 free agents.

I am afraid that we run out of options and those other top free agents either sign with their teams or go somewhere else and then we hit the panic button and sign JJ instead. Remember JJ already turned down $15mil a year offer from Hawks so I doubt he would settle for anything less than $16mil a year. And I hope Bulls are not the one that would pay him.

jsain360

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
It's still early in the NBA season, but Ben Gordon is playing at an allstar level, and having a ridiculous season scoring the basketball.

Through five games, Ben is averaging 25.2 PPG on 66.4 TS%.

If Ben keeps this up all season long, he will be on one of the All NBA Teams, and will be in the MVP discussion. Now I don't think he can keep this up (maybe the volume, but not the efficiency).

However, it wouldn't shock me if he put up his first 60+ TS% season this year. He just looks a lot better on the court. Last year he talked about how was cutting back on his weight, as he wasn't really seeing great results from being stronger than the other players. This new slimmed down version of Gordon looks better. To put it bluntly, Ben Gordon is a lot quicker this year than he has been any other year in his career, which has helped him in his penetration game, which has allowed him to score better on the drive, and also draw fouls like a star (8.6 FTA per game).

In addition, Keuster's offense is setting him up with good angles and good looks.

So far this year, he is #2 in offensive win shares behind Chris Paul, and #4 in total win shares at 1.1 behind Paul Pierce, Chris Paul, and Rajon Rondo. That is just a SICK number right there, as the Pistons only have 2 wins, which means that Ben Gordon was 55% responsible for their wins. HE WAS MORE THAN HALF THE REASON THEY WON THOSE GAMES.

Now some people might come in and say that, well if Ben Gordon is so good, then why are the Pistons only 2-3? Why? Because the team has been complete garbage outside of Ben Gordon and Ben Wallace, and Rip Hamilton was good in the one game he played, but only played in one.

The reasons for the Pistons sucking can easily be seen in the team's offensive efficiency stats.

Outside of Gordon, here are how the Pistons rank in offensive efficiency.

1. Ben Wallace - 60.3 TS% (Great Scoring Efficiency)
2. Rip Hamilton - 59.0 TS% (Great Scoring Efficiency)
3. Jason Maxiell - 52.3 TS% (Below Average Scoring Efficiency)
4. Tayshaun Prince - 52.3 TS% (Below Average Scoring Efficiency)
5. Will Bynum - 48.9 TS% (Pathetic Scoring Efficiency)
6. Charlie Villanueva - 48.9 TS% (Pathetic Scoring Efficiency)
7. Jonas Jarebko - 45.0 TS% (Very Pathetic Scoring Efficiency)
8. Austin Daye - 43.8 TS% (Very Very Pathetic Scoring Efficiency)
9. Rodney Stuckey - 42.3 TS% (Are you kidding me? Pathetic Scoring Efficiency)
10. Kwame Brown - 40.5 TS% (Haha Pathetic Scoring Efficiency)
11. Chris Wilcox - 19.3 TS% (WTF Pathetic Scoring Efficiency)

Here is the inherent problem with the Pistons. See those two guys up top. Ben Wallace is a low volume scorer. Rip Hamilton has only played one game. So there only two efficient scorers outside of Gordon haven't taken any type of volume of shots for the Pistons over the course of the season.

And here is the second problem. Here is the ranking of the Pistons top volume shot takers for the season.

1. Rip Hamilton - 19.0 FGA
2. Rodney Stuckey - 16.4 FGA
3. Ben Gordon - 15.2 FGA
4. Will Bynum - 11.0 FGA
5. Tayshaun Prince - 10.3 FGA
6. Charlie Villanueva - 10.2 FGA

Here is an inherent problem with the Pistons. Rip Hamilton hasn't played most of the season, so you can really start to look at it from #2-6. Rodney Stuckey leads the Pistons in FGA per game. That is Rodney Stuckey, Mr. 42.3 TS%, taking the most shots per a game. When your leading shot taker is shooting 42.3 TS%, you're not going to be a good overall team. It's just not going to happen.

Yet even though the Pistons have been absolutely pathetic offensively outside of Gordon, Hamilton, and Ben Wallace, they still have a much better offensive efficiency than us. That is completely a result of what Ben Gordon has been doing out there on the offensive end.

The Bulls guards have also been what have been holding them out. All three of their main guards have played pathetic basketball this year.

You have Derrick Rose at 44.2 TS%, Kirk Hinrich 41.0 TS%, and John Salmons 33.9 TS%. All pathetic.

I was one of the few people who felt that Derrick Rose may never be the caliber of player that Ben Gordon is.

I was already certain that we made a mistake in choosing Kirk Hinrich over Ben Gordon. I was certain that we made a mistake in choosing John Salmons over Ben Gordon.

Now, it looks like we might have made a mistake in choosing Derrick Rose over Ben Gordon as well.

Put away the Ben Gordon glasses, Rose will be a much better player than Ben will ever be, he may not score or shoot the 3 like Ben, but he will surpass Ben in everything else.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
Joe Johnson seems more likely to be the guy who ends up in New York. He doesn't mind playing for a bad team, that's how he ended up on the Hawks to start with. And unlike Chicago, New York absolutely have to sign someone, because their team is garbage. I could see them overpaying him.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:

How do you plan to sign plan to sign two max fas when we don't even have money to sign one if salmons doesn't opt out?