Best OF of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Clemente was a hell of a player. He was good in the field and at the plate, but he's nowhere near Mays.

Mays played centerfield which is probably the toughest place to play defense. He also played at Polo grounds which had a fricken huge outfield that he had to cover. You add to that that he was one of the best hitters of all time and not many guys can touch that.

Tazer4mvp

Liked Posts:
So what stats matter please tell me if avg does not hits do not, what stats matter just season avg off baseball reference cuz if benefits your argument.

Tazer4mvp

Liked Posts:
Clemente was a hell of a player. He was good in the field and at the plate, but he's nowhere near Mays.

Mays played centerfield which is probably the toughest place to play defense. He also played at Polo grounds which had a fricken huge outfield that he had to cover. You add to that that he was one of the best hitters of all time and not many guys can touch that.
Which also would have benefited his off numbers as well with all that space, True

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Career statistics
Batting average** **.317
Hits** **3,000
Home runs** **240
Runs batted in** **1,305
Teams
Pittsburgh Pirates (1955–1972)

Mays

Batting average** **.302
Home runs** **660
Hits** **3,283
Runs batted in** **1,903
Teams
Like I said minus HR not that far apart considering mays played 22season to Celmente 18

the thing is that the HR are what make Mays that much better than Clemente. When you have speed and power. Power and average hitting. Everything that Mays had. You're going to be a fucking great player.

If we had the same type of coverage for prospects back then as we did now, Mays would be a five tool player. He would have a 80 bat, 70 arm, and like 70 in the field. That's untouchable.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
So what stats matter please tell me if avg does not hits do not, what stats matter just season avg off baseball reference cuz if benefits your argument.

Well, here's a question for ya...how many different ways can a player safely reach base? Mays may not have gotten as many hits, but he got on base a hell of a lot more than Clemente, and Clemente wasn't shabby either. Count up all the walks, hits, hit-by-pitches etc and you'll see that is the case. That's why Mays' OBP is better. You're fixated on hits and batting average. That does matter, but the ability to not make an out and to hit with power should not be discounted. Who do you think people thought the more dangerous hitter was...Mays or Clemente?

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The whole group of stats. Mays has high numbers in every single one. Just because Clemente is better in a couple, doesn't mean anything. Mays is towards the top in like every stat.

Tazer4mvp

Liked Posts:
You really think four non peak seasons from Clemente would have dented that 420 difference in homeruns?
Non peak try again look at his last season with Pitt damn good numbers..I said minus Hr mays clear hit more and would have.

Tazer4mvp

Liked Posts:
Well, here's a question for ya...how many different ways can a player safely reach base? Mays may not have gotten as many hits, but he got on base a hell of a lot more than Clemente, and Clemente wasn't shabby either. Count up all the walks, hits, hit-by-pitches etc and you'll see that is the case. That's why Mays' OBP is better. You're fixated on hits and batting average. That does matter, but the ability to not make an out and to hit with power should not be discounted. Who do you think people thought the more dangerous hitter was...Mays or Clemente?
I give you that I said yes mays was the better power hitter your right.

Tazer4mvp

Liked Posts:
The whole group of stats. Mays has high numbers in every single one. Just because Clemente is better in a couple, doesn't mean anything. Mays is towards the top in like every stat.
With four more seasons under his belt,

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Non peak try again look at his last season with Pitt damn good numbers..I said minus Hr mays clear hit more and would have.

Certainly were good numbers, but do you honestly think that Clemente was going to put up four peak years from ages 38-42? And even if did hit his career single season high of 29 in those four seasons he would now only be down 300 homeruns to Mays. This is what we are trying to say Tazer, Clemente was a very good player and hit for a higher avearge than Mays. But Mays got on base more, hit for more power, played a harder defensive position and was one of the greatest if not the greatest defensive player at that position.

Tazer4mvp

Liked Posts:
It's a fun topic guys on a side note what a jack by youk.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With four more seasons under his belt,

He wouldn't have been THAT great in those four season. Yes, hit stats would be improved but even if he played well those seasons he wouldn't surpass Mays.

Mays is just that fucking good.

Tazer4mvp

Liked Posts:
He wouldn't have been THAT great in those four season. Yes, hit stats would be improved but even if he played well those seasons he wouldn't surpass Mays.

Mays is just that fucking good.
He was damn good agree, watching them play got a bunch of full games on them both it's Celmente for me...Chicago fan your great to talk baseball with

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
uh mays is better and it's not debatable

sorry dude

the 4 seasons difference won't make much of a difference,because as been said 300 times, clemente was well on the down slope of his career...

did you look at the per year averages?

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
Too hard to pick one. Griffey Jr, Mays, Clemente... All great.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
ray-liotta-field-dreams-5.jpg

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He was damn good agree, watching them play got a bunch of full games on them both it's Celmente for me...Chicago fan your great to talk baseball with

Well....yeah. I know.

#humblebrag

Tazer4mvp

Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;Y307smv9uPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y307smv9uPU&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video] debate over per Mays is own mouth...Clemente the Greatest.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;Y307smv9uPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y307smv9uPU&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video] debate over per Mays is own mouth...Clemente the Greatest.

But then Clemente said that Mays was the greatest. And if Dimaggio was better, he was in heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.