1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Imagine that roster with Mahomes.

?
Of course Mahomes is a much much better quarterback and on that team he would of made a decent offense better but it is hard to prove what the team would had actually done with him at quarterback. Our o line wasn’t as good as KC’s and we seen what happened when he didn’t have his protection. It is nice to ponder what it could have been but we will never know what it would have been. No matter what you want to think you can never prove what would have happened

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
A couple of nuances are perhaps worth noting here:
  • The Bears didn't win additional Super Bowls largely because of offensive limitations (Mr. Glass QB, predictable play-calling, antiquated scheme)
  • Limitations in the defensive backfield. Mike Richardson got exposed as a CB when Leslie Frazier (who was an excellent one-on-one cover man) suffered essentially a career-ending injury on a kickoff return in the Super Bowl
  • The other elite NFC teams (Washington, San Francisco in particular) started figuring out a way to attack the weaknesses in the 46 with quick passes
That’s funny because teams that go 62-18 in 5 years with one super bowl in today’s football aren’t considered busts

Bust

Liked Posts:
The actual 85 Bears defense wouldn’t be allowed to play in this kiddie nfl. They actually got to hit and tackle in that era. The teams of today wouldn’t stand a chance in that era.

Hall of Famer Ray Lewis agrees, "Essence of the game is gone..."

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Hall of Famer Ray Lewis agrees, "Hard to watch the game...."

Not a fan of him. Not saying anything about his play on the field, just not a fan of him.

I watched the 84 playoff game against Washington when Steve Fuller was the starting quarterback.
That 84 defense was scary. Watching the way both of those teams hit the quarterback and even the running backs and receivers, it was scary. They would of had to call the game after a couple quarters because they wouldn’t of had any players left to play.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Not a fan of him. Not saying anything about his play on the field, just not a fan of him.

Lewis has rough sides but you got to be an alpha male asshole to play in the nfl. It's not a choir boy league, lol

On the topic of different eras, it's also why Jim Brown dominated back in his day. There were still a lot of white db's and safety's playing in his heyday to run over, lol

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Lewis has rough sides but you got to be an alpha male asshole to play in the nfl. It's not a choir boy league, lol

On the topic of different eras, it's also why Jim Brown dominated back in his day. There were still a lot of white db's and safety's playing in his heyday to run over, lol
It has zero to do with his play on the field for me. It’s the off the field things he has done that I find disgusting. His play on the field was amazing to say the least.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I get that ppl are fans, but when you try to rationalize that first round picks aren't really that important...you're only deluding yourself.

The Rams do fine without first round picks.

Its the other rounds where you want to get value.

A first round, top 3 QB can set you back but other than that, overblown

And it used to be way worse when Rookie QBs got monster deals out of college

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The 2015 Broncos got about 50% of their snaps from free agents or trades. The Patriots weren't too far off as well. Building thru the draft is just meatball speak

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The 2015 Broncos got about 50% of their snaps from free agents or trades. The Patriots weren't too far off as well. Building thru the draft is just meatball speak
How much of a chance do you give this team at winning a playoff game?

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
How much of a chance do you give this team at winning a playoff game?

I'm not sure how this is relevant. Just because the Bears aren't good doesn't make the other point irrelevant

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Also, this is correct.

Doesn’t matter where a player was drafted… are they good or not.

Pace has made 4 1st round picks. 2 have sucked, 1 is good and on another team, and 1 is a super star. Even that isn’t a bad record at all.
That is complete bullshit. Pace has had one 1st round pick ( most very high 1st rnd) in the 7 he has owned( he has already given away next yrs) as a GM that have played in the NFL at a better than average level (R Smith). His failure with 2 of those picks, L Floyd and M Trubisky, has led to him giving away 3 of the Bears 4 1st rnd picks between 2019 and 2022.

Since 2017 he has also given up a 2nd and 4 3rds. Whatever you think of his picks, that does not negate that his lack of volume as you put it, is a direct result of him acting contrary to building through the draft.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Because they had two 1st round picks in '79 and '83. That's 4 in two draft classes.
So? And it’s still more years. Look I’m nit a big Pace fan but different era and circumstances.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is complete bullshit. Pace has had one 1st round pick ( most very high 1st rnd) in the 7 he has owned( he has already given away next yrs) as a GM that have played in the NFL at a better than average level (R Smith). His failure with 2 of those picks, L Floyd and M Trubisky, has led to him giving away 3 of the Bears 4 1st rnd picks between 2019 and 2022.

Since 2017 he has also given up a 2nd and 4 3rds. Whatever you think of his picks, that does not negate that his lack of volume as you put it, is a direct result of him acting contrary to building through the draft.
Exactly.

Some posters keep going back to what we got with the firsts, but ignore we've only had two 3rd round picks in 7 years.

It's not just the 1sts....it's the whole picture.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Of 2021 likely starters, not a single other NFL team has fewer players originally drafted by that team as starters than the Bears. Ten own draftees as starters ties for last with ARI. Factor in starting UDFA's, of which the Bears have 0, and it gets even worse. With regard to building through the draft, during his reign, no one has matched Pace's ineptitude.
[/thread]

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of 2021 likely starters, not a single other NFL team has fewer players originally drafted by that team as starters than the Bears. Ten own draftees as starters ties for last with ARI. Factor in starting UDFA's, of which the Bears have 0, and it gets even worse. With regard to building through the draft, during his reign, no one has matched Pace's ineptitude.
[/thread]
Eyedoc on fire right now...lol

Visionman

Liked Posts:
[/thread]
I guess we need to let Robinson walk and replace him with a rookie then so we can have a chance to win. {/sarcasm}

napo55

Liked Posts:
[/thread]
Thank you for responding to the question, which was: After stating that teams should be built through the draft, how should Pace be graded given the lack of top Bear draft choice on the team. Seems like people don't want to hold him to his own words.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess we need to let Robinson walk and replace him with a rookie then so we can have a chance to win. {/sarcasm}
95% of the Pace-sexuals belive WR1's grow on trees.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thank you for responding to the question, which was: After stating that teams should be built through the draft, how should Pace be graded given the lack of top Bear draft choice on the team. Seems like people don't want to hold him to his own words.
Ppl were pissed at Pace 6 weeks ago and said he had no plan. He drafts a solid QB prospect and now he's a genius.

I love watching the Bears and will be cheering for them, but I'm not emotionaly invested - it's just fun to watch. But it seems every offseason the general concensus is every question mark - of course - will go in the Bears favor.

If Fields & Nagy, Jenkins, Mooney, Kmet, Monty all ball out - of course we'll be really good...but that rarely happens.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ppl were pissed at Pace 6 weeks ago and said he had no plan. He drafts a solid QB prospect and now he's a genius.

I love watching the Bears and will be cheering for them, but I'm not emotionaly invested - it's just fun to watch. But it seems every offseason the general concensus is every question mark - of course - will go in the Bears favor.

If Fields & Nagy, Jenkins, Mooney, Kmet, Monty all ball out - of course we'll be really good...but that rarely happens.

The pissed came from not having a plan at QB. Pace lucked out in that department but that was the more pressing need that has been elusive for years

Its not like this is a 4 win team that he's put together