I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Well the Bulls are bottom feeders in defensive rating this year so it doesn't shock me at all that his defensive rating is cheeks.

He had a slow start to the season as well, but is now shooting 40% from 3 so that's something at least. Definitely room to improve, but less wildly inconsistent like he has been for his career
for sure, i think people just get excited because the bar has been set soooo low here in chicago

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
for sure, i think people just get excited because the bar has been set soooo low here in chicago
Based on the eye test he looks better to me. If he can get that FG% to start to creep up more towards 45% or so I imagine his efficiency numbers will be some of the best he's had if he can also maintain the 40% from 3.

Defensively I think he is also improved, but can't catch a break sometimes with foul calls. Still gets called for so many ticky tack fouls. Either way it wouldn't reflect well in his metrics since the unit he plays with the most is defensively a train wreck

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Either way it wouldn't reflect well in his metrics since the unit he plays with the most is defensively a train wreck
The 5 Worst Starting Lineups in Defensive Rating (as of 11/29):

1. DeMar DeRozan - Nikola Vucevic - Zach LaVine - Torrey Craig - Coby White - 129.9

Last edited:

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Based on the eye test he looks better to me. If he can get that FG% to start to creep up more towards 45% or so I imagine his efficiency numbers will be some of the best he's had if he can also maintain the 40% from 3.

Defensively I think he is also improved, but can't catch a break sometimes with foul calls. Still gets called for so many ticky tack fouls. Either way it wouldn't reflect well in his metrics since the unit he plays with the most is defensively a train wreck
Agree with all of this. I think he’s making good decisions as well and impacting the game in a multitude of ways. Starting to really give up his body and taking charges, which is easy to overlook, but is hugely important and can sometimes be the difference in the game.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The 5 Worst Starting Lineups in Defensive Rating (as of 11/29):

1. DeMar DeRozan - Nikola Vucevic - Zach LaVine - Torrey Craig - Coby White - 129.9
lololol

Craig and White are just victims by association

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agree with all of this. I think he’s making good decisions as well and impacting the game in a multitude of ways. Starting to really give up his body and taking charges, which is easy to overlook, but is hugely important and can sometimes be the difference in the game.
Coby's rotations have been pretty on point, and some of that is reflected in taking charges. DeMar doesn't get enough credit for taking charges imo, top 3 on the team the last few years, usually only trailing Caruso. Coby is leading the team in charges taken this year, so props to him for that

Another thing which some guys on this team do well (such as AC) is correctly rotate and rotate quickly. It will never show up in any stat, and if another player down the line fails to rotate and the other team scores anyway, everyone gets penalized because of one person's error.

There is a flip side of that of overhelping or over rotating which also screws up the defense, but I don't think that is happening on this team other than by scheme (ie, collapsing in on the paint which can leave the weak side corner open to a skip pass)

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Coby's rotations have been pretty on point, and some of that is reflected in taking charges. DeMar doesn't get enough credit for taking charges imo, top 3 on the team the last few years, usually only trailing Caruso. Coby is leading the team in charges taken this year, so props to him for that

Another thing which some guys on this team do well (such as AC) is correctly rotate and rotate quickly. It will never show up in any stat, and if another player down the line fails to rotate and the other team scores anyway, everyone gets penalized because of one person's error.

There is a flip side of that of overhelping or over rotating which also screws up the defense, but I don't think that is happening on this team other than by scheme (ie, collapsing in on the paint which can leave the weak side corner open to a skip pass)
You hit it on the head with rotating. PWill for example gets a lot of credit for his defense, and while his on ball defense is fine, his overall defensive awareness and rotations leave a lot to be desired. Coby is actively engaged defensively and his team defense has taken a huge jump, as well as his on ball defense. He’s turning himself into a complete defensive player, and overall player in general.

9 rebounds in each of the last 2 games is great to see, and I think overall, he’s one of the best decision makers on the team with the ball in his hands. Easy to forget that he’s still only 23.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
real quick...how many of you have ACTUALLY BEEN WATCHING THE GAMES??? or are yall just checking box scores? lol

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

he does look better out there than previous years, i totally agree there. he looks alot less out of control out there. but it was an extremely low bar that was set

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
real quick...how many of you have ACTUALLY BEEN WATCHING THE GAMES??? or are yall just checking box scores? lol
I was literally at a game recently so I think that qualifies lol

I've actually been rewatching bits and pieces of past games as well to see if my perceptions are actually true. So far, it does seem like I know what I'm talking about lol

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
he does look better out there than previous years, i totally agree there. he looks alot less out of control out there. but it was an extremely low bar that was set
Sure, I'm not saying he looks like a budding all star or anything, but that he has definitely shown tangible improvement. As you know, this is a guy who fans have been willing to trade basically since his 2nd year. With his play this year, some might at least second guess that thought.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I was literally at a game recently so I think that qualifies lol

I've actually been rewatching bits and pieces of past games as well to see if my perceptions are actually true. So far, it does seem like I know what I'm talking about lol
probably watched more than 90% here then

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
At least nobody PMs me for tickets anymore. But I have seen every game since 86.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The 80s were good

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Well, as were the 90s, but a lot of bad since 1999.
Welcome to Chicago, we got fun and games..........................
...........We got your disease

You know where you are?
You're in Chicago, baby
You're gonna die

Yep. Since about 1999

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Win streak finally ends, perhaps fittingly in another OT game against the Bucks. Bucks didn't seem as hungover to me this time around, but Bulls still kept it reasonably close so I'll give some credit to them. Coby continues to look great. Should've gone to him more down the stretch as DeMar wasn't really hitting as much as you'd expect. They did have some plays finding each other in the corner for 3s...would've like to see more of that type of drive and kick offense to play off of each other.

Team overall seemed to struggle from inside the 3pt line, lots of in and out misses. Shot great from 3 behind the heels of Coby. Bad luck I suppose with the in and outs. Vuc is continuing to miss bunnies that he would normally make, but vs Brook Lopez I didn't expect him to do that much.

Tough loss, but for a team that was so garbage just a couple weeks ago, it didn't feel that bad to watch

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Win streak finally ends, perhaps fittingly in another OT game against the Bucks. Bucks didn't seem as hungover to me this time around, but Bulls still kept it reasonably close so I'll give some credit to them. Coby continues to look great. Should've gone to him more down the stretch as DeMar wasn't really hitting as much as you'd expect. They did have some plays finding each other in the corner for 3s...would've like to see more of that type of drive and kick offense to play off of each other.

Team overall seemed to struggle from inside the 3pt line, lots of in and out misses. Shot great from 3 behind the heels of Coby. Bad luck I suppose with the in and outs. Vuc is continuing to miss bunnies that he would normally make, but vs Brook Lopez I didn't expect him to do that much.

Tough loss, but for a team that was so garbage just a couple weeks ago, it didn't feel that bad to watch

Definitely too much hero ball from Demar down the stretch. Ball should be in Cobys hands a lot more. He is the best combination of decision maker/ball handler/scorer. Demar really forced the issue on consecutive possessions