Bulls 2023-2024 Season IGT

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Liked the way ZL played last night. Was more engaged defensively and didn’t force anything. There were a handful of plays where I thought he was going to pop it (and wouldn’t have been good shots), and to his credit, he moved the ball instead. Pre-injury, he would have shot at least some of them. Hopefully he can continue to keep playing in structure like that and make good decisions.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Somehow, despite 4th quarter collapses, reverting to the same beginning of the season incompetence, and Demar almost fumbling two games away singlehandedly...the Bulls have strung together 3 wins in a row. Yeah 2 of them are vs the Hornets and 2 of them took OT, but you take what you can get.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Somehow, despite 4th quarter collapses, reverting to the same beginning of the season incompetence, and Demar almost fumbling two games away singlehandedly...the Bulls have strung together 3 wins in a row. Yeah 2 of them are vs the Hornets and 2 of them took OT, but you take what you can get.
and last nights was thanks to ZL, whomst some here think makes the team worse somehow

25 points 13 rebounds 7 assists 3 steals and a block, plus the OT run to take the lead when down 5 in OT

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
DeMar had plenty of help fumbling it last night vs the other night..

Bulls lead 110-99 with 5:44 left..
Their possessions:
-Vuc missed three
-Coby missed three
-DeMar missed layup
-Vuc missed three
-Zach makes 2 point shot
-Zach turnover
-Caruso missed three
Zach turnover
-Zach turnover
-DeMar missed jumper
-Coby missed three
-Vuc missed three
-DeMar missed pullup jumper

Regulation ended tied 112-112.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
DeMar had plenty of help fumbling it last night vs the other night..

Bulls lead 110-99 with 5:44 left..
Their possessions:
-Vuc missed three
-Coby missed three
-DeMar missed layup
-Vuc missed three
-Zach makes 2 point shot
-Zach turnover
-Caruso missed three
Zach turnover
-Zach turnover
-DeMar missed jumper
-Coby missed three
-Vuc missed three
-DeMar missed pullup jumper

Regulation ended tied 112-112.
Also some help from the refs in calling Demar for a flop when he got shoved from behind

But yes, all the starters did their part in the last 4-5 minutes to fail

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
and last nights was thanks to ZL, whomst some here think makes the team worse somehow

25 points 13 rebounds 7 assists 3 steals and a block, plus the OT run to take the lead when down 5 in OT
Well arguably in the early parts of this season he was making them worse

Regardless, Bulls don't win without him last night so I'll give him a ton of credit there

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I thought for sure they were going to blow it last night, as mentioned it was the perfect storm there at the end. and it even carried over into the OT. Luckily like many times earlier in the game ZL sparked the win. I am not a guy who thinks that this team is better without ZL, but I do think that it was good for him to be out because he really wasn't working within the system a lot of times as it's supposed to work. He got to see from the bench a lot of the ball movement that is supposed to happen. Also it really helped get minutes to a lot of the developing guys who needed it and took it, that's not an indictment of Zach as much as it is people taking advantage of minutes. It's all a good thing. They could have just as easily lost every game without Zach and it wouldn't be an indicator on how good or bad he is as a player as much as just how good or bad he was playing within the system. We saw last night him embrace the position within the offense that would be best for him to maximize. Less ISO, more ball movement, DEFENSE, getting out on the brake and finishing. Leave the ISO for DeMarvelous. If they can continue to mesh, get Vuc up to speed too they could make a bit of a run. Not sure if it's sustainable, and not sure if we still don't blow it up, but it would depend on getting Value for Zach, not his value in this system.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Also... Coby Coby Coby. I will fully admit that I was never a Coby hater. But I will say that i was one of the fans who had all but given up on him. I can't agree with Stacy more about how players just develop at their own pace sometimes and just handing them a bigger contract doesn't mean they get better faster. We're seeing the same with PW now too. This kid came in at 19 and people (sometimes me included although I had always given him a longer rope) were ready to write him off rookie year. I just think this league is to the point where a lot of teams get stuck just recycling lottery picks until one is an instant impact and tossing other players away without even trying to develop them. So many coaching changes and circumstances. I mean look at detroit, they constatntly get lottery picks and have a shit ton on their roster and get figure out how to actually develop any of them together.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I just think this league is to the point where a lot of teams get stuck just recycling lottery picks until one is an instant impact and tossing other players away without even trying to develop them. So many coaching changes and circumstances. I mean look at detroit, they constatntly get lottery picks and have a shit ton on their roster and get figure out how to actually develop any of them together.
Everyone wants to be 2007-2009 OKC.

And even they never won a title.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Man, Klay Thompson loves playing at the UC

Bulls only force 3 turnovers all game and lose despite shooting the ball extremely well themselves

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Man, Klay Thompson loves playing at the UC

Bulls only force 3 turnovers all game and lose despite shooting the ball extremely well themselves
I suppose the basketball gods said Bulls needed to lose after the UC booed Jerry Krause's widow at halftime

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not sure how much stock to put into it since the Cavs have seemed to just have the Bulls number in recent years, but Bulls bigly lost the 3pt math equation last night and stats wise it looked much like an early season loss. That said, I haven't reviewed the footage yet so maybe they looked better than the score shows...

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Not sure how much stock to put into it since the Cavs have seemed to just have the Bulls number in recent years, but Bulls bigly lost the 3pt math equation last night and stats wise it looked much like an early season loss. That said, I haven't reviewed the footage yet so maybe they looked better than the score shows...
I turned the game on late 3rd/early 4th and the Bulls were down 3. Then they reverted to the old Bulls with careless decision and turnover after the next and some atrocious defense. I think the Cavs had a 9-1 run in a minute and a half. Don’t have the data, but seems like the Bulls will give up that type of stretch more than any other team. Like a 10 point swing in less than two minutes shouldn’t be common, but it seems like the Bulls are prone to it.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I turned the game on late 3rd/early 4th and the Bulls were down 3. Then they reverted to the old Bulls with careless decision and turnover after the next and some atrocious defense. I think the Cavs had a 9-1 run in a minute and a half. Don’t have the data, but seems like the Bulls will give up that type of stretch more than any other team. Like a 10 point swing in less than two minutes shouldn’t be common, but it seems like the Bulls are prone to it.
Not sure how much other NBA basketball you watch, but it does happen more than you think to teams other than the Bulls. In this era of high volume 3pt shooting, big point swings are not entirely uncommon. I've seen it happen to plenty of other teams. In fact, between two high volume 3pt shooting teams, you might see leads of 10+ points swing back and forth depending on how things go.

That doesn't give the Bulls a pass, and perhaps they are more prone to this than most other teams due to their own lack of volume 3pt shooting.

I'll also note that apparently the Bulls had erased a big lead in the 3rd and perhaps when you turned it on is when they started to falter again to their old ways, but I'll note the 3rd quarter is mostly where the Bulls had a good stretch, oddly with Drummond and Vuc together.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Not sure how much other NBA basketball you watch, but it does happen more than you think to teams other than the Bulls. In this era of high volume 3pt shooting, big point swings are not entirely uncommon. I've seen it happen to plenty of other teams. In fact, between two high volume 3pt shooting teams, you might see leads of 10+ points swing back and forth depending on how things go.

That doesn't give the Bulls a pass, and perhaps they are more prone to this than most other teams due to their own lack of volume 3pt shooting.

I'll also note that apparently the Bulls had erased a big lead in the 3rd and perhaps when you turned it on is when they started to falter again to their old ways, but I'll note the 3rd quarter is mostly where the Bulls had a good stretch, oddly with Drummond and Vuc together.
You caught me. I don’t watch any NBA basketball outside of the Bulls. Just don’t have the same interest level in the NBA as I once did.

I will say, usually when I see those swings with the Bulls, it’s not usually do to a lack of 3 PT shooting. It’s usually due to consecutive awful possessions on offense - terrible shots and laughable turnovers - And the inability to defend the 3PT line and/or pick and roll on the other end. Bulls will get burned by the same plays about 5 or more times before they figure it out and adjust.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Yep, they stopped calling illegal offense sometime around 2008, because it was partially blamed for the surge of injuries from leaping players. Pretty amazing how that officiating debate and evolution all were designed to stop Jordan, and it never did. Too bad ESPN's Last Dance didn't pause the story somewhere around ep3 to interview living officials from the day. That was a greater series of debates than ANYTHING Wilt Chamberlain brought to the NBA and it's glossed over just because the key became a U and resembles a visual reminder.

Illegal Offense interpretations are the main reason Basketball periods cannot be accurately compared throughout the Modern Era(capital M and E, what has been long regarded as "post-merger") with whatever is regarded as the current era. The NBA knows this, it's used to create debate, because GOAT debates in sports is pretty much how 'word of mouth' advertising works.

So yes, 4 guys sitting beyond the arc is BY THE RULES illegal, just like ball carrying, but the league does not want to do anything about it. The theory is this is how we reduce injury, that the league will adjust, and they can use this to better promote players BEYOND the regular fans. Every attempt at controlling a face-of-the-league player has collapsed when people are reminded of Jordan. It's not only the Bulls that have this shadow, but the entire league, and some say all of sports. Curse of the Pedestal like the Beatles, Disney, etc, where their influence on the world was so great, that people defend that pedestal long after it has diminished. So what happens when you get to 90% efficiency with gasoline, you change the rules regardless if it's true or better, because people are bored.

Welcome it, or we will all be bored. Just remember, Jordan is still the GOAT and that shouldn't stop you from enjoying today's game.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bulls lose a heartbreaker to KD and the Suns last night in a game which really felt like they were fighting uphill all 2nd half despite having a 20 point lead going into it. They end up losing to a KD game winner which had some shades of MJ's shot on Ehlo.

Though cynically you could call it a typical collapse by the Bulls, it really felt like they were doing all the right things, but the results didn't go their way. Lost a lot of momentum after Caruso picked up 2 ticky tack fouls in a row in the 3rd and personally I felt that offensive foul call on Demar in the 4th was bogus (ended up a 4-5 point swing as it robbed him of an and one chance while KD scored to take the lead afterwards). In the end, the Suns' star power just won out as the Bulls couldn't get quite enough stops or quite enough shots to fall down the stretch. But, Bulls competed to the end and they did have a chance to win it which just didn't quite go their way (arguably PWill should've been shooting FTs on the lob attempt, but I can see how they call that foul before the shot) and for a team which has glaring weaknesses, being competitive against a team which has way more talent than them is at least encouraging in that regard.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Bulls lose a heartbreaker to KD and the Suns last night in a game which really felt like they were fighting uphill all 2nd half despite having a 20 point lead going into it. They end up losing to a KD game winner which had some shades of MJ's shot on Ehlo.

Though cynically you could call it a typical collapse by the Bulls, it really felt like they were doing all the right things, but the results didn't go their way. Lost a lot of momentum after Caruso picked up 2 ticky tack fouls in a row in the 3rd and personally I felt that offensive foul call on Demar in the 4th was bogus (ended up a 4-5 point swing as it robbed him of an and one chance while KD scored to take the lead afterwards). In the end, the Suns' star power just won out as the Bulls couldn't get quite enough stops or quite enough shots to fall down the stretch. But, Bulls competed to the end and they did have a chance to win it which just didn't quite go their way (arguably PWill should've been shooting FTs on the lob attempt, but I can see how they call that foul before the shot) and for a team which has glaring weaknesses, being competitive against a team which has way more talent than them is at least encouraging in that regard.
The offensive foul call on Demar was the biggest BS I’ve seen in a while. Hate to put too much on the refs, but I thought they were absolutely awful last night, and not just on that call.

Once Drummond got T’d up, it was all downhill and the suns took the momentum and ran with it. Bulls defense and intensity waned and they stopped moving the ball like they did in the 1st half.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lakers have what feels like their best offensive performance ever (or at least for the season) as Bulls lose the game in the 2nd quarter.

Bulls interestingly played an apparent 22 minutes of good basketball in the 1st half and then went on a hot streak of their own late in the 4th, but couldn't stop the Lakers at all after the 2 minute mark of the 2nd quarter. Despite scoring 36 points in the 3rd quarter, their deficit increased lol.

Maybe you just chalk it up to it not being in the cards as Lakers just hit everything they threw up it seemed. Bulls didn't have a terrible game statistically, but pretty much gave the game away right before halftime and couldn't make up that ground.