CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Julian Phillips got some nice burn last night with Williams out (I think there was another forward out, but can't remember who it was). He played well, and Billy had some high praise for him.

Dalen Terry has looked good in some of the increased minutes he's been seeing. I'd like to see more defensively from him, though.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Definitely good minutes from Phillips last night. Seems like he usually finds a way to get a highlight showcasing his athleticism every time he gets in

Fred Garvin

Liked Posts:
Bulls have too many guys injured. Pat Williams...Lavine....Torrey Craig. If Bulls were healthy they'd be winning more. Simple...I know...but I think it's true.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bulls will always find a way to lose winnable games, ensuring they never do hit that .500 mark

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Bulls have too many guys injured. Pat Williams...Lavine....Torrey Craig. If Bulls were healthy they'd be winning more. Simple...I know...but I think it's true.
the memphis grizzlies say to hold their beer

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The Bulls would be winning more if they had just a smidge more depth to use Drummond and Vuc at the same time for those oddball matchups. If not those 2, a frontcourt combo that can both obstruct and capitalize. You only need to improve 4% here to win the games that puts the Bulls at 6th seed. Not much higher because then you're starting to compete with stars that have established chemistry.

PWill aint giving us that. He's too brittle to be a full-time PF. Maybe he'll breakout and be consistent later in his career, but right now he needs to improve everywhere to take that next step, and not just flash big(ger) games against middle-road garbage. It's no fault of his, he's still in that part of his career and he's not holding back the cap *cough* Zach...

It's microwave or bust this year.
ENJOY IT. Learn from team history. Aside from MJ, the Bulls usually implode or plateau when they reach this point in development. Now if they managed to take that next step without the lottery, all the better. But right now, dis wut we got.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The Bulls would be winning more if they had just a smidge more depth to use Drummond and Vuc at the same time for those oddball matchups. If not those 2, a frontcourt combo that can both obstruct and capitalize. You only need to improve 4% here to win the games that puts the Bulls at 6th seed. Not much higher because then you're starting to compete with stars that have established chemistry.

PWill aint giving us that. He's too brittle to be a full-time PF. Maybe he'll breakout and be consistent later in his career, but right now he needs to improve everywhere to take that next step, and not just flash big(ger) games against middle-road garbage. It's no fault of his, he's still in that part of his career and he's not holding back the cap *cough* Zach...

It's microwave or bust this year.
ENJOY IT. Learn from team history. Aside from MJ, the Bulls usually implode or plateau when they reach this point in development. Now if they managed to take that next step without the lottery, all the better. But right now, dis wut we got.
Can’t really play Drummond and Vuc at the same time. This ain’t 1988

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Can’t really play Drummond and Vuc at the same time. This ain’t 1988
That combo was awful last year, but the handful of times BD threw them out together this year it's actually been decent. Ironic given Vuc is shooting the worst from 3 out of all the years he's been shooting 3s, but small sample size. It's definitely not a lineup you want to see all the time, but situationally one might argue it has merit given the Bulls perpetual lack of depth at PF.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
That combo was awful last year, but the handful of times BD threw them out together this year it's actually been decent. Ironic given Vuc is shooting the worst from 3 out of all the years he's been shooting 3s, but small sample size. It's definitely not a lineup you want to see all the time, but situationally one might argue it has merit given the Bulls perpetual lack of depth at PF.
99% of the time it leads to a horrible matchup for Vuc or Drummond to try and guard around the perimeter

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
99% of the time it leads to a horrible matchup for Vuc or Drummond to try and guard around the perimeter
Well yes, which is why I'd only employ it situationally. The Raptors for example often deploy lineups of many 6'9+ guys but not all of them can shoot or drive that well so you might get away with it there for a few minutes. But 99% of the time teams are running 2 wings so it won't work unless one of them is a non shooter.

And to Drummond's credit, he's been able to get steals off guards trying to drive on him this season relatively consistently. He's not quite as helpless as Vuc is.

But I'm not saying this should be a regular rotational lineup by any means

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Lavine now out 4-6 months with foot. The dream is done.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This franchise is somehow more pathetic than the Bears. No future. Barely anything to build off of. Lack of draft picks. Just a complete shitshow. Fuck Lavine and this front office

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I honestly don't know the in's and outs well here, so hopefully someone has the info but when the trade deals were coming they said that Lonzo Ball's IR contract had value in that someone taking it on would get some sort of exemption that is going with it or something? Could the same be done for Lavine or something? I would imagine not given Ball I don't think has years beyond this and Lavine does? But I was thinking about someone trying to dodge luxury tax or something but I really don't know how all that works. I just assume given his full contract, even on the IR he has 0 trade value now correct?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Also, don't want to see Alex go... But for this team, that sort of haul, and the style he plays to make you wonder how many more years he can keep it up. I would possibly think about it. I love everything about his energy especially now hitting the 3's, but I do worry all the minor injuries are going to nickel and dime his career to death eventually.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I honestly don't know the in's and outs well here, so hopefully someone has the info but when the trade deals were coming they said that Lonzo Ball's IR contract had value in that someone taking it on would get some sort of exemption that is going with it or something? Could the same be done for Lavine or something? I would imagine not given Ball I don't think has years beyond this and Lavine does? But I was thinking about someone trying to dodge luxury tax or something but I really don't know how all that works. I just assume given his full contract, even on the IR he has 0 trade value now correct?
The Bulls have a disabled player exception on Lonzo which is basically means they can acquire a 1 year (or expiring) contract worth up to half of Lonzo's salary (ie 10M). However, if the Bulls were to trade Lonzo, that exception goes away and the receiving team would not be able to also have that exception.

This does not really help a team avoid the tax either way as Lonzo's salary still counts against the cap regardless of what happens.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
The Bulls have a disabled player exception on Lonzo which is basically means they can acquire a 1 year (or expiring) contract worth up to half of Lonzo's salary (ie 10M). However, if the Bulls were to trade Lonzo, that exception goes away and the receiving team would not be able to also have that exception.

This does not really help a team avoid the tax either way as Lonzo's salary still counts against the cap regardless of what happens.
Ahhh, I swear in one of the wild trade rumor things a week or so ago, they were talking about Trading the Lonzo exemption with Lavine to make things help work. I guess they were wrong.